PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Missile Shield vs Double Barreled Firearms

Crustypeanut
2013-02-09, 05:22 AM
'Eyy Guys, I have a question for you.

I have a player who currently uses a Double Barreled Pistol, and is fond of 'Double Tapping', which is shooting both barrels as a single attack action. Now, I'm going to be pitting them up against a Phalanx Soldier with Missile Shield, which for those who are unaware, is basically Deflect Arrows with a Shield.

My question is: Since 'Double Tapping' is a single attack action (Which can be used as part of a full attack, and is very similar to Multishot), does Missile Shield deflect both, or just one?

Considering he's firing both barrels at once with an attack penalty, but each one is rolled as a separate attack, I'm not sure how to rule this. On one hand, it makes perfect sense that the feat would deflect both attacks, since they're aimed at mostly the same spot, but again, its kind of cheap, even if the player can get off four shots (Two Double Taps) per round easily enough due to a combination of Rapid Reload, Alchemical Charges, and Rapid Shot.

The Feat in question specifically states 'One Attack', but both bullets are fired in 'one attack' even if they use separate attack rolls.

What do you guys think? If you're not sure, I'll probably just rule it that it only does one of two bullets, just because I know he'll be greatly annoyed at this creature. But then again.. he does kill everything very easily..

Xerxus
2013-02-09, 05:28 AM
If it works like manyshot - yes, both shots are blocked. Since both shots (or arrows) are flying side by side then it's logical that both should be blocked.

Crustypeanut
2013-02-09, 05:30 AM
It doesn't work -exactly- like Manyshot. Manyshot uses one attack roll for both arrows, while Double Barreled Firearms makes two attack rolls (one for each bullet), but with the same action.

Still, that does make sense, as they are both aiming at the same person/object, and one would assume they're travelling side-by-side.

Xerxus
2013-02-09, 05:36 AM
Oh ok, didn't read that right. Well, just to display the might of the tower shields I'd make it both.

Ravens_cry
2013-02-09, 05:36 AM
I would say no. It would deflect one, but not both, as each barrel has a separate attack roll.