View Full Version : Planning to buy a DS, what are the differences between types?

Togath
2013-02-09, 05:56 AM
As the title says, I'm planning to buy a DS this month, but was a bit confused by the types, the three within my price range are;
DS(the original type)
DS Light(seems pointless, since it costs more than plain ones)
DSi(not sure what the difference is).

Also, does the colour change anything?, I read something about different colours being made for different regions, would that effect compatablity with games any? The three cheapest colours seem to be; DS("titanium"), DS("electric blue"), and DSi("pink").

Scowling Dragon
2013-02-09, 06:17 AM
I would suggest a 3DS since its now currently supported but whatever:

DS: Oldest biggest model

DS Lite: Smallest model

DSI: Med model with some online game downloads

DSI XL: Big model (As big as Original) with the functions of DSI

Togath
2013-02-09, 07:10 AM
I'll probably aim for one of the original models then, if they would work with newer games(mainly was thinking of trying the pokemon series)

Scowling Dragon
2013-02-09, 07:14 AM
Again, A old DS can play every single DS game, but its a last gen console.

Ogremindes
2013-02-09, 07:14 AM
The lite is so worth it over the original. It has much brighter screens, so it's actually usable outdoors. I can't comment on the DSi.

Octopus Jack
2013-02-09, 07:24 AM
The lite is so worth it over the original. It has much brighter screens, so it's actually usable outdoors. I can't comment on the DSi.

Seconding this, having spent a lot of time with an original and a lite the lite's screen makes it much easier to play games and it's worth the little bit extra money.

Zevox
2013-02-09, 10:57 AM
DS Light(seems pointless, since it costs more than plain ones)
That's surprising to hear, since the original DS was discontinued long before the Lite. (If the Lite has been discontinued at all - I'm just assuming it has because the 3DS has succeeded it, but on the other hand it was a great-selling system, and the PS2 stuck around for quite a while after the PS3 hit, so that has happened before.)

Also, does the colour change anything?
Not in the slightest. Why would you think it would?

Anyway, I'd generally say that the Lite is worth grabbing over the original. It really is a much better size for a handheld, easier to pocket, and just overall better designed. I never bothered with the DSi, so I can't comment on it. Just, as Scowling Dragon said, be aware that the DS is an outdated system now, and cannot play 3DS games. There may be a straggler or two left being developed for the DS - I know there was about a year ago at least - but it won't be much.

huttj509
2013-02-09, 02:22 PM
I'll probably aim for one of the original models then, if they would work with newer games(mainly was thinking of trying the pokemon series)

The new 3DS games will not play on DS.

DS games will play on 3DS.

Pokemon Black/White 2 will play on DS.

Pokemon X/Y will not, it's 3DS only.

Scowling Dragon
2013-02-09, 02:45 PM
Anyway, I'd generally say that the Lite is worth grabbing over the original. It really is a much better size for a handheld, easier to pocket, and just overall better designed.

It felt like the original was more of a prototype, compared to the lite.

Togath
2013-02-09, 05:18 PM
The new 3DS games will not play on DS.

DS games will play on 3DS.

Pokemon Black/White 2 will play on DS.

Pokemon X/Y will not, it's 3DS only.

Then aye, I'll probably go with standard for now, since my leftover video gaming budget is about 50$(since my new computer ended up cheaper than expected by about the same) this month.
And coming in late means cheaper games as well, if it's an older console(or at least it did with ps2s)

Zevox
2013-02-09, 05:26 PM
And coming in late means cheaper games as well, if it's an older console(or at least it did with ps2s)
True, though that's also mostly because the main way to find older games once a system is out of date like that is used, which can make some of them much harder to find at all.

Togath
2013-02-13, 04:50 AM
well this is odd, just found a decent number of people selling DSs or DS lites on craigslist for about the same price(or cheaper in a few cases) as I was going to buy one online.. Also leaves me the option to take a look at it before I buy it, hopefully reducing my chance of getting scammed(most of the ones on craigslist also, at least supposedly, have both working hinges, a charger, and are not too badly scratched)

The Dark Fiddler
2013-02-13, 06:23 AM
I will say one thing: if my experiences are typical (and from what I've heard, other people have similar experiences), the original DS may be the hardiest handheld ever, while the DS Lite is pretty darn flimsy. It took my DS 3-4 years of use to break, and that only happened when I smashed it into a door frame... and even then, the only problem was that the screen was cracked. At the same time, my Lite's hinges cracked a few months in, and the shoulder buttons followed soon after... still works, but it can be a pain at times.

Togath
2013-02-13, 06:04 PM
I will say one thing: if my experiences are typical (and from what I've heard, other people have similar experiences), the original DS may be the hardiest handheld ever, while the DS Lite is pretty darn flimsy. It took my DS 3-4 years of use to break, and that only happened when I smashed it into a door frame... and even then, the only problem was that the screen was cracked. At the same time, my Lite's hinges cracked a few months in, and the shoulder buttons followed soon after... still works, but it can be a pain at times.

Aye, that's honestly part of the reason I was aiming for the plain version as well(and because I'm used to using a fairly heavy latop for portable gaming, so It'll probably take a while to get used to the just normal weight one, lol).

Mando Knight
2013-02-13, 06:18 PM
DS Lites that fail are, like with most Nintendo systems, the exception, not the norm. The Lite I got when they were the newest iteration of the system (and rumors of the DSi were still months away at least) still works perfectly well. The brightness and battery life between the original and the Lite are significant, as well.

Togath
2013-02-13, 06:26 PM
DS Lites that fail are, like with most Nintendo systems, the exception, not the norm. The Lite I got when they were the newest iteration of the system (and rumors of the DSi were still months away at least) still works perfectly well. The brightness and battery life between the original and the Lite are significant, as well.

wait, the battery is better on the lite?, I may try one then, had assumed it's smaller size meant short battery.
The battery was one of the things(in addition to the weight factor) keeping me from looking into those ones.
I suppose if I do go with one, I could always weight it down somehow to make it feel more normal.

Mando Knight
2013-02-13, 07:02 PM
wait, the battery is better on the lite?, I may try one then, had assumed it's smaller size meant short battery.
The battery was one of the things(in addition to the weight factor) keeping me from looking into those ones.
I suppose if I do go with one, I could always weight it down somehow to make it feel more normal.

It's better by several hours. The normal DS runs 6-10 hours on a 850 mAh battery. The Lite has a 1000 mAh battery that allows it to run 15+ hours on the lowest light setting (which is still brighter than the normal DS's light) and have somewhat similar battery life to the normal (5-8 hours) on its highest light setting (which you'll not need unless you're playing in direct sunlight a lot). Personally, the redesigned buttons on the Lite also function better... the original's buttons feel stiff by comparison.

If you don't mind large devices, I'd try the 3DS XL. It's a lot more expensive than a DS Lite, but it'll let you play newer games (like Fire Emblem: Awakening and the recently-announced Pokémon X/Y) and will do everything the DS can and more. Except play GBA cartridges. (Early adopters of the 3DS got access to some GBA games from the Virtual Console store, though, including Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones and Metroid Fusion. They haven't been otherwise released yet, though...)

OracleofWuffing
2013-02-13, 07:05 PM
Then aye, I'll probably go with standard for now, since my leftover video gaming budget is about 50$(since my new computer ended up cheaper than expected by about the same) this month.
One thing about the older DS Pokemon games, is that they use the GBA slot on a DS to transfer and add pokemon. So, if that's a concern, you want to avoid the DSi models, as they don't have the GBA slot.

Togath
2013-02-13, 07:59 PM
One thing about the older DS Pokemon games, is that they use the GBA slot on a DS to transfer and add pokemon. So, if that's a concern, you want to avoid the DSi models, as they don't have the GBA slot.

Aye, I wanted one able to use the slot, do the DS lites have it?

Gnoman
2013-02-13, 08:06 PM
The Lites do have a GBA port, but there is the disadvantage of the slot not being deep enough to seat the entire game. While this does not impair function, having the cartridge stick out is fairly annoying, and prevents safe pocket transport without removing the GBA cartridge first.

Togath
2013-02-13, 08:43 PM
The Lites do have a GBA port, but there is the disadvantage of the slot not being deep enough to seat the entire game. While this does not impair function, having the cartridge stick out is fairly annoying, and prevents safe pocket transport without removing the GBA cartridge first.

I'll probably aim for a lite then, since the better screen sounds appealing, and having the cartridges sticking out doesn't sound too bad(it does reminds me, what do DS games use?, are they disks or cartridges?)

Zevox
2013-02-13, 08:48 PM
I'll probably aim for a lite then, since the better screen sounds appealing, and having the cartridges sticking out doesn't sound too bad(it does reminds me, what do DS games use?, are they disks or cartridges?)
DS games are cartridges. Nintendo handhelds seem to be the last systems still using those.

Can't say that I've ever had problems from the GBA cartridge sticking out slightly myself. It looks a bit weird, but that's about it.

Gnoman
2013-02-13, 09:17 PM
Sony went back to cartridges for the PS Vita.

The sticking-out problem is naturally a personal matter. It's my third least-favorite feature on my DS (the first two being the broken hinge and the fact that it's metallic pink), but naturally YMMV.

GenericMook
2013-02-13, 10:03 PM
If you can afford it, go with the 3DS. You're gonna have more games available due to backwards compatibility. If you can't, go with a Lite. It's portable, and hasn't really given me any problems, even after abusing it for five/six years. Or something close to that, at least. I don't really remember when I got mine.

Togath
2013-02-13, 10:14 PM
If you can afford it, go with the 3DS. You're gonna have more games available due to backwards compatibility. If you can't, go with a Lite. It's portable, and hasn't really given me any problems, even after abusing it for five/six years. Or something close to that, at least. I don't really remember when I got mine.

Aye, I'm planning to go with a lite now, since the 3ds is both very expensive, and I don't understand how it's different from the older ones, other than being able to play more recent games(I did hear something about the new pokemon game using cgi models instead of sprites.. I think, does that mean the difference between the DS/DSlite and the 3DS is that the new one can handle more console/computer-esc cgi instead of just sprites?).

I can't afford one right now(though 100$-120$ is a much better price than a lot of other companies), but then again, I also do have several games lined up(the gen III, IV, and V pokemon games, as well as possible one of the zelda games[since I've never played one before, but have heard they are fairly good], and dragonquest 9[since I enjoyed dragonquest 8, though I'd imagine there's a fair number of differences between the two]), and gen VI pokemon is still probably at least a year away

Mando Knight
2013-02-13, 10:19 PM
Aye, I'm planning to go with a lite now, since the 3ds is both very expensive, and I don't understand how it's different from the older ones, other than being able to play more recent games(I did hear something about the new pokemon game using cgi models instead of sprites.. I think, does that mean the difference between the DS/DSlite and the 3DS is that the new one can handle more console/computer-esc cgi instead of just sprites?)

Woah, hold on, there. DS can do models instead of sprites. There's a lot of good games on it that do so. Pokémon just decided not to.

The 3DS is a completely different system. It's like upgrading from DVDs to 3D Blu-Ray. Except that you don't need a thousand dollar TV and stupid plastic glasses that hardly fit over regular ones to use it.

In this analogy, the DS Lite is a DVD/VHS combo player. Also the adoption rate for Blu-Ray has been slower than that for the 3DS.

As far as I'm aware, Pokémon Black and White 2 are the last major releases for the DS, and once 3DS Pokémon hits, there'll be even less of a reason for developers to make DS games... because the 3DS will have had Pokémon, which will basically justify the purchase of a system in and of itself to most owners of Nintendo handhelds.

Also, Gen VI is closer than you think. "Closer" being 8 months.

Zevox
2013-02-13, 10:45 PM
Aye, I'm planning to go with a lite now, since the 3ds is both very expensive, and I don't understand how it's different from the older ones, other than being able to play more recent games(I did hear something about the new pokemon game using cgi models instead of sprites.. I think, does that mean the difference between the DS/DSlite and the 3DS is that the new one can handle more console/computer-esc cgi instead of just sprites?).
The 3DS is a next-gen handheld, the successor the DS. The name can lead to some confusion in that area, but it's like any other generation jump - it plays more recent games than the DS for the same reason the PS3 plays more recent games than the PS2.

It also has a wide variety of additional features, including a lot of online capability. My most recent 3DS game purchase was actually an online download, because shipping delays made it very hard to find a physical copy in the first few days after release. That that's possible at all is actually surprising to me personally, with how slow Nintendo has been to do anything with online functionality, but it is, and on a handheld no less.

OracleofWuffing
2013-02-13, 10:58 PM
A Nintendo Wii is to a Nintendo WiiU what a Nintendo DSi is to a 3DS. The 3DS is a slightly more powerful system that has more features than its predecessors, so games designed for that system wouldn't be able to run on previous systems. For example, a 3DS has an Analog Circle and a Joypad, whereas all the regular Nintendo DS models just have the joypad and no analog inputs.

Just to back up what Mando Knight said, though, here's some pictures from Final Fantasy III (http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/924897-final-fantasy-iii/images), a regular DS game (meaning it can be played on a Nintendo DS, DSLite, DSi, DSiXL, and 3DS). For comparison's sake, here's some pictures from Super Mario 3D Land (http://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/620831-super-mario-3d-land/images?page=1), a 3DS-only game.

Another little headache that might be a concern is that the DS and DSLite models cannot support WPA wireless encryption, so it might be an additional hoop if you want to play online with your system. Furthermore, WPA support also needed to be implemented on the software end due to the way the DS was designed, so Nintendo DS games that were produced before the DSi, regardless of what hardware you use, can only go online using an unprotected or WEP network. Some would say I just said "unprotected network" twice.

Togath
2013-02-13, 11:26 PM
A Nintendo Wii is to a Nintendo WiiU what a Nintendo DSi is to a 3DS. The 3DS is a slightly more powerful system that has more features than its predecessors, so games designed for that system wouldn't be able to run on previous systems. For example, a 3DS has an Analog Circle and a Joypad, whereas all the regular Nintendo DS models just have the joypad and no analog inputs.

Just to back up what Mando Knight said, though, here's some pictures from Final Fantasy III (http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/924897-final-fantasy-iii/images), a regular DS game (meaning it can be played on a Nintendo DS, DSLite, DSi, DSiXL, and 3DS). For comparison's sake, here's some pictures from Super Mario 3D Land (http://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/620831-super-mario-3d-land/images?page=1), a 3DS-only game.
[/SIZE]

Ah, in that case the graphics seems fine(it's also interesting that they re-added a analog pad, nice to see a system using them for something again).
I didn't get the first two comparisons , but I think I get the jist.
Also, is the 3DS backwards compatible with GBA games like the first two DS’s were?

Another little headache that might be a concern is that the DS and DSLite models cannot support WPA wireless encryption, so it might be an additional hoop if you want to play online with your system. Furthermore, WPA support also needed to be implemented on the software end due to the way the DS was designed, so Nintendo DS games that were produced before the DSi, regardless of what hardware you use, can only go online using an unprotected or WEP network. Some would say I just said "unprotected network" twice.

on the other hand, I don't know what this bit means.:smallconfused:

Woah, hold on, there. DS can do models instead of sprites. There's a lot of good games on it that do so. Pokémon just decided not to.

The 3DS is a completely different system. It's like upgrading from DVDs to 3D Blu-Ray. Except that you don't need a thousand dollar TV and stupid plastic glasses that hardly fit over regular ones to use it.

In this analogy, the DS Lite is a DVD/VHS combo player. Also the adoption rate for Blu-Ray has been slower than that for the 3DS.

same with this bit, what is a "blue ray"? And I don't understand the tv comment either(I get the 1k$ price part, but I don't understand the significance other then 1k being a high price)

Zevox
2013-02-13, 11:30 PM
Also, is the 3DS backwards compatible with GBA games like the first two DS’s were?
No. Again, the 3DS is a new generation system. It being able to play DS games is its backwards compatibility.

Togath
2013-02-13, 11:37 PM
No. Again, the 3DS is a new generation system. It being able to play DS games is its backwards compatibility.

Ah, I'll probably aim for a standard DS generation DS then, since I'd like to be able to play older games on it(if I end up wanting to anyway)

Jothki
2013-02-13, 11:37 PM
WEP and WPA is one of those things that you really shouldn't have to know the difference between, but you occasionally have to anyway.

From what I remember, WEP is the encryption protocol that was originally used by wireless routers, but it was eventually discovered to not actually be as secure as expected, leading to the more secure WPA protocol being adopted instead. Most routers can do both, but some older hardware, the DS among them, can only use WEP.

Basically, in order to use a DS on a secure network, you may have to manually downgrade that network's security. I don't think it's actually that difficult if you have a good walkthrough, but it's still kind of a pain.

Togath
2013-02-13, 11:43 PM
what does "secure network" mean?, I feel silly for asking, but I've never understood computer terms very well, and have had to have a friend set my internet up whenever I've gotten a new computer.

OracleofWuffing
2013-02-13, 11:45 PM
I didn't get the first two comparisons , but I think I get the jist.
A 3DS is like a Game Boy Advance, a DS is like a Game Boy. One is more powerful than the other. :smalltongue:

on the other hand, I don't know what this bit means.:smallconfused:
Jothki got it pretty much. For wireless networking (playing a game online using the internet), most networks now use WPA-flavored security, but original DS systems and games aren't made to use that. If you don't plan on playing over the internet, there's no issue.

what does "secure network" mean?, I feel silly for asking, but I've never understood computer terms very well, and have had to have a friend set my internet up whenever I've gotten a new computer.
The long story short is that an insecure network would let someone who does not know the password to your internet use your internet without you knowing about it. Since they're using your internet connection, it is possible for you to be held liable for certain things they do, and there are other nasty things a stranger might be able to do to your computer if he's nasty enough to do them.

Togath
2013-02-13, 11:48 PM
Jothki got it pretty much. For wireless networking (playing a game online using the internet), most networks now use WPA-flavored security, but original DS systems and games aren't made to use that. If you don't plan on playing over the internet, there's no issue.

Ah, so networks have some sort of protection thingy.
assuming that WPA-(various numbers and letters) in the part of my computer about connections means the type, then it looks like I have the WPA type of network.
And aye, I had been planning to play over the internet.. what does that mean I need then? Is there a way to just set the security lower when I use it?

OracleofWuffing
2013-02-13, 11:50 PM
And aye, I had been planning to play over the internet.. what does that mean I need then? Is there a way to just set the security lower when I use it?
Talk to your friend who sets up your computers about it. There might be ways, but it depends on what specific models of machines your network uses.

Togath
2013-02-14, 01:11 AM
Talk to your friend who sets up your computers about it. There might be ways, but it depends on what specific models of machines your network uses.

Aye, I will(and aye, I read the edit, but a friend of mine[who's good with computers] pointed out that even with a temporarily WEP network, I'd still have one of the most secure ones in my neighborhood, so any hackers would be more likely to target them first).
Also, one last thing I want to check(to make sure I actually have all of the components for the DS I get) how do they save games?, Is it internally, on the cartridge, or on a memory card sort of thing?

Zevox
2013-02-14, 01:15 AM
Also, one last thing I want to check(to make sure I actually have all of the components for the DS I get) how do they save games?, Is it internally, on the cartridge, or on a memory card sort of thing?
DS and GBA games save to the cartridge. It wasn't until the 3DS that Nintendo started using memory cards in handhelds.

Togath
2013-02-14, 01:59 AM
DS and GBA games save to the cartridge. It wasn't until the 3DS that Nintendo started using memory cards in handhelds.

Ah.
Also, how likely do you suppose is a "barely used DS lite with original styless(or however you spell it, it’s spelled correctly in the post I found), charger, instructions, box, carrying case, and working hinges" to be a scam? It's listed at 75$ and has a picture(of it turned on, and on it's idle screen, along with the other components) that appears to have been taken by setting it on a sofa, and the post has proper grammar, spelling, and capitalization. It’s also pink, which seems to be a colour people are more prone to giving away(which works to my benefit, as I couldn’t care less about what colour something I own is)

Gnoman
2013-02-14, 06:29 AM
The price is right for that system (used DSs are scarce as hen's teeth, so they're shockingly expensive), and scams usually use stock photos.

Togath
2013-02-14, 03:16 PM
I'll give it a go then

Mando Knight
2013-02-14, 03:27 PM
Aye, I will(and aye, I read the edit, but a friend of mine[who's good with computers] pointed out that even with a temporarily WEP network, I'd still have one of the most secure ones in my neighborhood, so any hackers would be more likely to target them first).
Depending on how recently your router's had its firmware updated, it might not be able to run WEP.

On the other hand, things like guest networks exist.

Togath
2013-02-14, 04:13 PM
Depending on how recently your router's had its firmware updated, it might not be able to run WEP.

On the other hand, things like guest networks exist.

What is a guest network?

Mando Knight
2013-02-14, 05:41 PM
What is a guest network?

It's (http://compnetworking.about.com/b/2009/03/03/what-is-a-guest-network.htm) a (sometimes temporary) network that you set up for guests so they can access the Internet while at your place without having to make them jump through all the hoops to get into your regular one... usually used if you have really high and/or complex security settings on your router. It also prevents guests from accessing internal network systems, like the router admin stuff or shared files on your computer.

The router admin can turn it on and off at will, usually.

Togath
2013-02-14, 05:56 PM
It's (http://compnetworking.about.com/b/2009/03/03/what-is-a-guest-network.htm) a (sometimes temporary) network that you set up for guests so they can access the Internet while at your place without having to make them jump through all the hoops to get into your regular one... usually used if you have really high and/or complex security settings on your router. It also prevents guests from accessing internal network systems, like the router admin stuff or shared files on your computer.

The router admin can turn it on and off at will, usually.

Ah, I may try one of those then.