PDA

View Full Version : OOTS death pool (new thread)

martianmister
2013-02-09, 10:10 AM
EDIT: This thread is dead. Please use this thread:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272967

sam79
2013-02-09, 01:05 PM
Belkar's time is almost up, but I think he'll outlive Malak

Winter
2013-02-09, 01:31 PM
Belkar is going to survive this. Durkon goes out next.

rgrekejin
2013-02-09, 01:39 PM
Yeah, put me down for Durkon, I guess.

KillianHawkeye
2013-02-09, 03:35 PM
I don't understand the concept of betting when there's nothing to wager and nothing to gain. :smallconfused:

ti'esar
2013-02-09, 04:27 PM
Are we actually allowed to change votes right now? No one has died since the last incarnation of this thread, unless one counts the mummies Roy destroyed.

Sniffnoy
2013-02-09, 05:19 PM
Why did you post a whole new thread, instead of just bumping the old one? Now everything's in two places...

Kish
2013-02-09, 06:09 PM
The old thread was last posted to in August of last year. While I didn't just look up the exact dates in the rules, I think that means it's against them to post to it now.

Redgoblin
2013-02-09, 08:01 PM
Actually, I believe the rules specify that if your bet was stated before Yukyuk died (http://http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0848.html), ancient history I know, then you are free to change your vote. But if you have changed your vote since then it is locked in until someone else important dies (although checking the dates would be a pain).

SowZ
2013-02-10, 02:17 PM
Alright, I'll vote Belkar.

Rakoa
2013-02-10, 04:11 PM
This is interesting. Put me down for Belkar if you will.

Thrillhouse
2013-02-10, 07:59 PM
Put me down for Belkar.

oppyu
2013-02-10, 09:36 PM
Possible rule; everyone has to resubmit their vote once a character dies. It would help you clean up the large backlog of votes from people who probably aren't returning to the thread to celebrate their victory, and maintains the competitive integrity that a pointless just-for-fun forum thread deserves. :smalltongue: Plus forcing people to return to the thread every time there's a death instead of every time there's a death and they want to change their vote could help keep the thread alive, unlike the last two incarnations.

Torrasque
2013-02-11, 05:48 AM
I agree with oppyu. It would make it a lot easier to maintain the thread and keep people coming back, if everyone had to redo their votes after a character death. What good is someone winning on a 2 year old vote anyway, when they wont be there to gloat :P

isoriveil
2013-02-11, 06:32 AM
Interesting. I guess I won't be original, Belkar seems to be going down.

ella ventic
2013-02-12, 10:52 PM
I'm glad to see this thread again!

And I definitely agree with the above posters; having to re-up one's votes seems like a good way to keep this game robust.

ti'esar
2013-02-12, 10:57 PM
Oh, look, a bandwagon.

Put me down for Belkar. I'm not convinced he'll die here and now, but he's certainly got better odds than my former choice of Zz'dtri.

oppyu
2013-02-12, 11:42 PM
See, if the votes had to be re-upped every time there was a new strip, martianmister wouldn't have to go back and check whether or not tl'esar's vote was before Yukyuk's death.

Seharvepernfan
2013-02-14, 03:38 AM
I don't understand the concept of betting when there's nothing to wager

Pride.

and nothing to gain. :smallconfused:

Bragging rights.

Seharvepernfan
2013-02-14, 03:40 AM
I agree with oppyu. It would make it a lot easier to maintain the thread and keep people coming back, if everyone had to redo their votes after a character death. What good is someone winning on a 2 year old vote anyway, when they wont be there to gloat :P

I'm pretty sure that was already a rule from the first thread.

Heksefatter
2013-02-14, 04:16 AM
25 qvumsels on Durkon dying next.

oppyu
2013-02-14, 04:40 AM
I'm pretty sure that was already a rule from the first thread.
The rule was that you can change your vote if you want to after a death, not that you have to restate your vote after a death.

TheTeaMustFlow
2013-02-14, 07:52 AM
I'd like to vote Belkar. Mostly wishful thinking - or it was, until the most recent comic.

GnomeGninjas
2013-02-14, 07:01 PM
Belkar.
I'm tempted to vote for demon roaches again and wait till another one of them dies.

Drynwyn
2013-02-14, 07:07 PM
Belkar. He's going down.

The Pilgrim
2013-02-14, 07:11 PM
Durkon, I choose you.

white lancer
2013-02-14, 07:56 PM
Belkar's the obvious choice at the moment and I'm thinking there's a good chance that his encounter with Malack might be his last, but I want to be contrary. I'm voting Kilkil because I think his time is likely up soon enough anyway. Also considered Mr. Scruffy (not sure whether it would be better for him or Belkar to die first) and Zz'dtri, and maybe even Blackwing.

ella ventic
2013-02-18, 02:08 PM
...I think at this point I would like to invoke Rule 6a, please!!! :smallsmile:

Though we might have to wait until the next strip to see if it's for real, yes no maybe?

Sunken Valley
2013-02-18, 02:38 PM

Though we might have to wait until the next strip to see if it's for real, yes no maybe?

Wait Wait Wait.

And to seal the waiting bet, I bet Dark Elf Z

smasher0404
2013-02-18, 03:36 PM
Going for the longshot and changing my ancient bet of Niu to Tarquin

Dr. Gamera
2013-02-18, 03:38 PM

It seems clear that Belkar is still alive (and not undead) at the end of OOTS #870, Death in the Family (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0870.html). It's going to take more than just one round of 1d4 Constitution drain to knock Belkar down to 0 Constitution.

So, ella ventic, though Petey7 and you and I are looking good, the three of us only have 1 point, for now.

ella ventic
2013-02-18, 04:24 PM
Awww, Dr. Gamera. Why do you have to make so much sense? :smalltongue:

Ninja Dragon
2013-02-18, 06:07 PM
EDIT: Never mind, it seems the last bet is still counting since Belkar is still alive.

Dracarot
2013-02-18, 06:53 PM
This post is to just reconfirm that I am still paying attention to the death pool and obviously keeping my bet seeing as I can't switch it from my last switch, which occurred after the last death.

In other words my bet is still on Belkar.

Bling Cat
2013-02-18, 07:00 PM
I understand I don't have a stake in this, but I noticed something in the rules. To quote 6a:

6a. Transitioning directly from life to undeath also counts as a death. Thus, if a character is found to have become undead, this counts as a death, regardless of whether or not he died before becoming undead.

So does the previous vote end with Malack, who has been found to be undead when previously not thought to?

Redgoblin
2013-02-18, 07:08 PM
So does the previous vote end with Malack, who has been found to be undead when previously not thought to?

I'm going to assume no, since he hasn't been changed from alive to undead.
I am now going to change my vote to Belkar, since, lets face it, he's toast, but isn't quite dead yet. (If we are counting this as his death, which I think would be rather premature, I am sticking with m previous vote, so no change).

Edit was to adjust quote.

The Pilgrim
2013-02-19, 07:43 AM
While I'm not going to change my vote (it would be cheesy to do so at this stage), I want to remark that if Belkar ends up turned into a Vampire... that should count as him being killed (and I'm not being biased here, I didn't vote for him).

Dr. Gamera
2013-02-19, 08:18 AM
I'm going to assume no, since he hasn't been changed from alive to undead.
I am now going to change my vote to Belkar, since, lets face it, he's toast, but isn't quite dead yet. (If we are counting this as his death, which I think would be rather premature, I am sticking with m previous vote, so no change).

Edit was to adjust quote.

Background: Redgoblin voted Nale before Yukyuk's death. Redgoblin has not made a vote since Yukyuk's death. So up until the quoted post, Redgoblin was free to make any vote.

Redgoblin, you are pursuing a clever strategy: wait until a character seems near death, and then vote for that character. There are, of course, two weaknesses of that strategy: a character might die suddenly before you have a chance to vote, or a character that seems near death might survive.

You've clearly avoided the first weakness here, as Belkar is still alive at the time of your vote. The second weakness could still trip you up, as Belkar might still survive. All Belkar has to do is fight off Hold Person with a Will save, which he gets a chance at every round, while he still has some Constitution and Hit Points left.

Wait... Belkar... a Will save... high-level cleric spell... he might need to roll a 20.

Saithis Bladewing
2013-02-19, 08:31 AM
Wait... Belkar... a Will save... high-level cleric spell... he might need to roll a 20.

What a dramatically appropriate time for a lucky roll!

I'm gonna vote Malack just to not go with the obvious choice of Belkar and see if Rich surprises us.

HedgehogRanger
2013-02-19, 08:56 PM
I think I'm going to join this pool with the extremely safe bet of Belkar

onionbreath
2013-02-19, 11:47 PM
Hmmm, my bet on Durkon is no longer looking as good as it did when I placed it a few strips ago...

Oh well, can't change it now.

Torrasque
2013-02-20, 07:44 AM
Belkar does seem a cheesy bet a this point, but what can I do? :smalltongue:

Techmagss
2013-03-03, 07:31 PM
I think :vaarsivius: is going to die next
So Vaarsivius

MarchiMcFly
2013-03-04, 12:19 PM
Score..I expected that (his death, not all what happened), but it's sad nevertheless. So long Durkon, at least you died a honorable death in a cold and dark underground complex...just don't get "too" vampire now!

Now I'd like to go for Belkar.

Rui
2013-03-04, 12:25 PM
Malack is the next. I think it will wear off (its a round per caster level and Malack and Durkon fought for a lot of time) and Belkar will run to warn the others, or Vaarsuvius will save him... she is powerful enough to kill Malack alone.

declinator
2013-03-04, 01:23 PM
New to the forums, but this game is just too cool to pass up, so I registered just for that. And my first bet is going to be Belkar - he'll bite the dust, before Malack can be contained.

Winter
2013-03-04, 01:31 PM
There seem to be two current Death-Pool-Threads at the moment.

sam79
2013-03-04, 01:42 PM
There seem to be two current Death-Pool-Threads at the moment.

So...does that mean we can double down, and if we're right on both threads we get two points? Or can we hedge our bets and choose different characters on eachthread?:smallwink:

Is there a way to merge the threads?

Winter
2013-03-04, 01:45 PM
This one is the dead one. At least the intro the other one is pretty clear on that.