PDA

View Full Version : Non-cliche mid-level adventures

RealMarkP
2013-02-09, 11:41 AM
I'm looking for adventures, be it WoTC, Paizo/Pathfinder, 3rd party, AD&D, or online, that are not your standard "undead lich kidnapping people" or "fetch me a powerful artifact" type quests. I'm looking for something that has equal part intrigue and dungeon crawl. I'm rather flexible with adapting the hooks and BBEG's motive to make the quest personal for my party. Setting doesn't matter; most things can be adapted to fit into my campaign.

All suggestions are welcome, even if they don't quite meet the level criteria. Thanks in advance.

Bearlock
2013-02-09, 12:25 PM
I would think the Red Hand of Doom would be a pretty good option, runs from levels 6-12. There is actually kind of an inverse of the lich thing too. It puts the PC's on the clock right from the start, and there are a whole lot of ways it can spin off.

Amnestic
2013-02-09, 01:01 PM
I just started RHoD on a PbP on these forums, but have read through it plus the RHoD DM Handbook (MAJOR SPOILERS) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171284) and it seems like a pretty damn good module to me, so I'm looking forward to the rest of it and I've heard a lot of good things from people about it. It's generally regarded well, if flawed in places.

RealMarkP
2013-02-09, 01:09 PM
Funny you mention that. I was leading up to that until they go sent to Limbo. I was still going to run it regardless, however, the reliance on terrain within that adventure is problematic. It's one of a very small number of adventures that I cannot run.

For the purpose of this thread, just ignore the fact that they are in Limbo. Treat the vast open space as an ocean or possibly a desert. I can make most adventures work with the setting, in some way.

Amnestic
2013-02-09, 01:35 PM
How 'big' are you looking for this to be? I spotted the...Ruby Phoenix Tournament, I think? Little module for Pathfinder centered around a fighting tournament and some underhanded dealings there. Think there's a dragon involved at some point. No idea if it's any good, but it's not the usual adventuring shtick. Got some social roleplay stuff and some less-usual combat encounters.

Fable Wright
2013-02-09, 01:53 PM
Expedition to the Demonweb Pits is a level 9-12 adventure. Start out trying to stop Drow attacks, end up trying to prevent a coalition of demonlords from forming to take out the Celestial planes. There's intrigue in the major planar cities and in a few other places as well, dungeon crawling in the namesake Demonweb Pits, and a few other interesting environments for combat.

RealMarkP
2013-02-09, 02:05 PM
I'll take a look at this tournament adventure. I'm not looking for big because I can always string a bunch of adventures together into one arc of some sort. There is one pathfinder adventure that looks interesting, Academy of Secrets, which can be tied in easily into any urban setting.

RealMarkP
2013-02-09, 02:06 PM
Expedition to the Demonweb Pits is a level 9-12 adventure. Start out trying to stop Drow attacks, end up trying to prevent a coalition of demonlords from forming to take out the Celestial planes. There's intrigue in the major planar cities and in a few other places as well, dungeon crawling in the namesake Demonweb Pits, and a few other interesting environments for combat.
Substitute the Drow Demonlors for some Slaadi Lords, and this can easily be adapted to my setting. I'll look into this, thanks.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-02-09, 04:50 PM
I'm looking for adventures, be it WoTC, Paizo/Pathfinder, 3rd party, AD&D, or online, that are not your standard "undead lich kidnapping people" or "fetch me a powerful artifact" type quests. I'm looking for something that has equal part intrigue and dungeon crawl. I'm rather flexible with adapting the hooks and BBEG's motive to make the quest personal for my party. Setting doesn't matter; most things can be adapted to fit into my campaign.

All suggestions are welcome, even if they don't quite meet the level criteria. Thanks in advance.Stuff I ran in a game last semester.

1. Jurassic Escaped Dinosaur Park

2. A rogue Druid is causing problems for an elven/fey/woods community, they ask the players to find and take care of him

3. Bikini Bottom An underwater city is under the heel of Mr. Krabs a greedy crab. Help Plankton a resistance fighter steel his secret formula to stop him.

4. Defend a rich nobleman's carriage from dogooder bandits in the forest

5. A Dwarf's water pumping station has been taken over by some Duergar/Mindflayers/Drow. Take it back.

6. Goatball tournament for large monetary prize.