PDA

View Full Version : Playing out the "cast fortune" power

Monagan
2013-02-09, 12:32 PM
First of all, hope this is the right sub forum, I think since it's more of a general roleplaying question rather than a mechanic question it'll be more appropriate here.

Anyways, hi.
I've just started playing my second D&D campaign, starting off with a revenant rogue with a seer theme. The important part about the latter is that I have the ability to predict the next three (important) dice rolls of my allies. Now I have figured out how my character does this - he's wearing a vision-granting amulet that is a remnant of the previous campaign (in which everyone presumably died horribly). I can channel the power of the amulet to gain a sense of someone's near future. I don't know what exactly will happen, but I have enough of an understanding to know if they're going to do well, or fumble.

The real problem I'm having is finding a way to convey that information in-character. None of the others know about this ability yet, and I'd find flat out telling them "I'm seeing the future and you're going to do great on whatever you try to do next" kind of boring. And weird. I've been trying to figure out a way to give them an idea of how their future looks, without being obvious and blunt about it. I've considered trying to come up with descriptions of imagery, positive, neutral, or negative, to verbalize my predictions. However, I'm not sure I could pull that off consistently with my somewhat limited roleplaying experience, and it might give too much room for interpretation. A scavenger feeding on a festering corpse, is that good? Bad? Course of nature? Who knows. I'm out of ideas.

At this point, any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Bonus points for solutions that sound mystical.

(I don't actually have any points to give. Sorry.)

Ozfer
2013-02-09, 02:43 PM
Maybe just keep it simple, and if they are unsure about weather they should do something, you say, "I feel that is the best course of action." Or, "I am certain that will end badly), and various other statements that tip them off. You don't necessarily have to inform them explicitly of your power. You could just build up a reputation for always being right :smallwink:.

NecroRebel
2013-02-09, 11:23 PM
You're not obligated to tell your companions anything with that power, nor are you obligated to tell them anything specific. You could give them exact numbers if you wished, or you could simply say something along the lines of "I saw a (good/bad) omen." Phrasing it in terms of omens you've seen can give lots of fun RP possibilities, too; who knows what your character's culture sees as omens? If you really wanted to, you could make up dozens of them for different combinations of rolls (though doing one for each possible roll would be impractical at best; 8000 different omens? Eesh.).

Monagan
2013-02-10, 09:09 AM
Well, thanks for the replies so far, both good. I think I'll try go with a mixture of them both...subtle omens.
Thanks.