PDA

View Full Version : Imp. Fam. for an Imp == or =! ?

silverwolfer
2013-02-09, 12:48 PM
My Dm is offering my wu jen character access to an imp from the improve familer line, if I take a taboo that actually hinders me in some way but the imp would be a NPC instead of something of my control.

Taking the gambit that the DM won't be mean and have the imp back-stab me when it can, how effectual are imps as a pet compared to the normal ravens/snakes/ humming birds.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-02-09, 01:18 PM
My Dm is offering my wu jen character access to an imp from the improve familer line, if I take a taboo that actually hinders me in some way but the imp would be a NPC instead of something of my control.

Taking the gambit that the DM won't be mean and have the imp back-stab me when it can, how effectual are imps as a pet compared to the normal ravens/snakes/ humming birds.

An imp is noteably more useful than any of the standard familiars. Whether this is worth a feat or not is what makes it a decision, rather than a given choice.

If you're getting it for free, don't even hesitate. Just make sure you work out a contract with the imp ASAP. Being a devil he should be incapable of breaking the letter of an agreement that he willingly signed.

Flickerdart
2013-02-09, 01:32 PM
Imps are very middle of the road as far as improved familiars go. I prefer Celestial Familiar because it gives you Coure Eladrin, which are adorable and also awesome.

Randomguy
2013-02-09, 01:44 PM
1. Sneaking: With ranks in hide and move silently as well as invisibility and alter self at will, imps are pretty stealthy.

2. Poison: With most familiars you have to choose between poison and flight. The imp gives you both. The Fortitude save DC against a creature’s natural poison attack is equal to 10 + ½ poisoning creature’s racial HD + poisoning creature’s Con modifier, and familiars use their masters HD instead of their own, meaning the poison is much stronger. If your DM allows it you should be able to milk the imp's fangs for poison for your team rogue to use.

3. The imp has hands with which to wield weapons that you give it, which might be useful.

4. Spell like abilities. These can be pretty useful.

ericgrau
2013-02-09, 01:52 PM
^ 3. I'd give it a wand or magic items instead. Your familiar gets all your skill ranks (but not other skill modifiers), including use magic device ranks. It may be hard to pull off well, but anything is better than holding nothing. And most failed UMD checks don't burn charges. Since you still get your own turn it's almost like having a quickened version of the spell. Or a "quickened" non-magical action for other options. So it is well worth the cost even if it might not be worth it for you yourself to wield that same wand.

Or there a lot of the random magic items that provide an attack that is weaker than what you could normally do. Suddenly these are useful.

RagnaroksChosen
2013-02-09, 06:33 PM
Imps are us full..

I use imps alot as my improved familar.

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870010/The_Familiars_Handbook_--_2007

Chilingsworth
2013-02-09, 09:21 PM
An imp not under your direct control in exchange for an actual hindrence taboo?

Umm, I'd try to get it by taking the feats obtain familiar (which gives any arcane caster a familiar, treated as you arcane caster level = sor/wiz level.) An improved familiar, before I accept a devil that isn't under my complete control and a significant hindrence.

Which isn't to say, I recomend doing the above, just that the option you've been given seems even worse than that.

chaos_redefined
2013-02-10, 09:32 PM
What kind of hindrance are you planning on taking?

Spuddles
2013-02-10, 09:55 PM
Not worth it if you don't get control of it.

The Viscount
2013-02-12, 09:42 PM
The Fortitude save DC against a creature’s natural poison attack is equal to 10 + ½ poisoning creature’s racial HD + poisoning creature’s Con modifier, and familiars use their masters HD instead of their own, meaning the poison is much stronger.

I haven't seen an official ruling on this. Is there one? I'd say that using master's HD doesn't count for poison DCs. I'd cite sample characters, but everyone knows those are riddled with errors.

Randomguy
2013-02-12, 11:18 PM
The srd says:

Hit Dice

For the purpose of effects related to number of Hit Dice, use the master’s character level or the familiar’s normal HD total, whichever is higher.

I'd count poison as an effect relating to number of hit dice.

The Viscount
2013-02-13, 03:01 AM
I want to believe you, I really do. I'd just feel so much better if I knew there was some ruling on it.

ArcturusV
2013-02-13, 03:06 AM
Heh. You know, I'm the sort of DM who would do something like that. I do (have, will) go to a player and say, "you know... I bet you really want a..." and I'd offer him a deal.

... usually they don't like the deal.

Or they like it because of masochistic tendencies to their character.

So if you're Masochistic, take it. Otherwise? Avoid it.

Matticussama
2013-02-13, 04:12 AM
The Imp can be very useful when used cleverly (as people have mentioned before) and there is obviously some interesting story point that will revolve around this Imp if you accept it. If you trust your DM to use this to do something fun, go for it. Note that when I say fun, I believe that eventual betrayal/ambushes/etc can be fun when handled properly. If, however, you suspect that your DM is likely to use it in a way that would be significantly detrimental to the overall tenability of your character, then pass.

ahenobarbi
2013-02-13, 04:39 AM
The Imp can be very useful when used cleverly (as people have mentioned before) and there is obviously some interesting story point that will revolve around this Imp if you accept it. If you trust your DM to use this to do something fun, go for it. Note that when I say fun, I believe that eventual betrayal/ambushes/etc can be fun when handled properly. If, however, you suspect that your DM is likely to use it in a way that would be significantly detrimental to the overall tenability of your character, then pass.

Basically this. If you trust your DM to handle this in a way that will be fun for you then take it. Familiars can be pretty useful (see a handbook (http://dictummortuum.blogspot.com/2011/08/familiars-handbook.html)).

However if you think DM will spoil fun for you with the familiar don't.