PDA

View Full Version : Let's See if We Can Make this Work... [3.5, PEACH]

Amechra
2013-02-09, 05:30 PM
Alright, everyone know the Massive Damage Threshold, right?

That one rule that barely anyone plays with, because it results in people dying left and right due to unlucky saves?

Yeah, that Massive Damage Threshold.

Here is my particular fix:

You only trigger the Massive Damage Threshold if you deal 25+twice their HD in damage.

The Fortitude save is 10 + 1/2 your BAB + the ability score modifier that modifies your attack rolls. If your opponent fails their save, they are Fatigued until they rest for 8 hours (or have some effect remove their Fatigue.)

If you hit a Fatigued person for Massive Damage, they are exhausted; an exhausted person that is struck for Massive Damage becomes unconscious, letting you do with them what you will.

Massive Damage doesn't affect creatures that are immune to critical hits due to type (normally, at least.)

New Feats

Frightful Blows [Fighter]
Your blows are aimed less to weary and more to injure your opponent's will to fight.
Prerequisites: Intimidate 9 ranks
Benefit: Whenever you deal massive damage, you may choose to forgo forcing the struck creature to make a Fortitude save, and instead force them to make a Will Save against the same DC.

If they fail their Will save, they are Shaken for the remainder of the encounter; this stacks with itself and other sources of fear effects.

This is a fear effect.

Horrendous Blows [Fighter]
The very force of your blows seem to be more permanent than that of a normal man.
Prerequisites: BAB +6
Benefit: The Fatigued condition caused by you inflicting Massive Damage can only be removed if the creature you struck is restored to their full hit points first; if they were Exhausted or Unconscious due to your Massive Damage, and they would have those conditions entirely removed, they are instead reduced to Fatigued.

Forceful Swing [Fighter]
It is quite obvious that you are in your element when you fight, dealing death with every blow.
Prerequisites: Cleave, Str 15
Benefit: Whenever you inflict Massive Damage, you may forgo forcing the creature you struck to make a Fortitude save to instead trigger your Cleave feat as if you had killed that creature.
You may not attack the creature that triggered your Cleave feat with the follow up attack from your Cleave feat.
Special: Upon taking the Great Cleave feat, the benefits of this feat always apply whenever you would deal Massive Damage, even if you don't forgo forcing the save.

Quick Healer [Fighter]
You don't stay down very well.
Prerequisites: Constitution 13, BAB +1, Heal 2 ranks
Benefit: Add your BAB to your level when determining how much HP you regain for a night's sleep. In addition, when you recover from ability damage due to natural healing, you remove a number of points of ability damage equal to your normal modifier for that ability score (minimum 1.)

For example, Joe the Fighter, who has a Strength of 18, takes 5 points of Strength damage; if he were to rest, he would heal 4 points of that ability damage instead of 1.

Tough Cookie [Fighter]
You are quite hard to permanently injure. You are almost aggressively lively.
Prerequisites: Quick Healer, Constitution 15, BAB +6
Benefit: You may add your BAB to your level when determining your Massive Damage Threshold. In addition, if you have damage reduction from any source, you may add it to your Fortitude save against massive damage as a Perfection bonus.

peacenlove
2013-02-09, 06:44 PM
What happens if the enemy is immune to fatigue?

IMO frightful blows should be a skill trick or a new function of the intimidate skill. Usually fear effects are less desirable than fatigue due to their sheer abundance and easy warding against them and there are already feats/weapon abilities that shaken on hit or on critical (IIRC).

Quick healer should IMO be a (very high DC) function of the heal skill. Otherwise ok.

Tough Cookie: Is the perfection bonus in an official source?
Also if I have DR 10/magic, 3/bludgeoning and 2/-, do I add +15 to my fortitude (or will if the opponent has Frightful blows) save vs Massive damage?

Otherwise I really liked Forceful swing.

Amechra
2013-02-09, 07:49 PM
DR overlaps, so you'd get +10 to your save.

I think I might end up changing that so that if they are wielding a weapon that bypasses your DR, you don't get that DR as a bonus to your save.

Perfection bonuses are rare, but are an official type.

If they are immune to Fatigue... then they have nothing to worry about, and you should be using Frightful Blow on them (which you are kinda right about it needing to be a skill trick...)

I'm juggling about whether or not Quick Healer should get the "this feat counts as Toughness for the purposes of prerequisites" treatment. The reason it isn't just a new function of the Heal skill is that, well, the Heal skill multiplies your restoration of HP and ability damage. I do think that the Heal skill should be able to help remove ability drain at higher check results, though.