PDA

View Full Version : IC Knee Deep IV

Pages : [1] 2

Zman
2013-02-09, 06:47 PM
As the party of misfit adventurers barely survives a nighttime battle with huge Dire Woves, they continue on throughout the night set to reach the NorthEast Outpost and Hulburg's front with the Giants before dawn....

OOC IX (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14677790&postcount=1)

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-09, 10:25 PM
Natalia closes her eyes and smiles as Miriam's cool touch closes up her wound and fills in much of the missing muscle, though a pink crater of a scar still remains...hopefully only as long as it takes for further healing.

Natalia turns to Mithril and says, "Thank you...magic saved me, saved us...So did Honey..." She shakes her head. "Something happened, with the dagger. Burning and numb, killed the wolf, tried to kill my arm. Like Kurt's axe from the orc, almost." She clutches her hair. "Can't say it, can't make words right! But...but can think it, know it..."

If Mithril casts Detect Thoughts on Natalia, she can tell and show her exactly what happened.

Admiral
2013-02-10, 02:39 AM
Shiny smiles tiredly as he rides, spurring his pony to catch up to Kurt. The curse, the ressurection, and the battle all weigh on him, and traces show through his facade. "Where will you go once we reach the fort, Kurt Killready?"

Zman
2013-02-10, 10:18 AM
Valen rides along quietly, awaiting Kurt's response to Shiny. He too is curious as to the Dwarves intentins. As he rides he runs the battle with the Dire Wolves through his head, retracing the words which sent a searing jet of flame out of his finger tips. The magics of his being we're growing, the thought simply manifests as a wry smile.

Athedia
2013-02-10, 07:23 PM
Mithril spent most of the rest of the trip stroking Honey's mane. The horse's bravery had saved her life. Dropping to the back of the group so as not to be seen she practiced the motions of her spells. If I could cast from here then I would be safer, and of more use to the group.

Cavelcade
2013-02-10, 08:55 PM
Kurt glances at Shiny, his face set in something of a grimace anyway, making it impossible to tell whether he's angry about the question or just in pain. "I will go where the party goes. But I think the party should help defend it."

achinca
2013-02-10, 09:16 PM
As Natalia's weapon acts strangely, Miriam opens her mouth and is ready to preach but she stops. "They don't need my preaching. They need to learn by failing the way I learned."

She heals who ever needs healing and stay silent.

When Kurt answers Shiny's question, her heart gets squeezed. "He sees the way I see yet is willing to do whatever it takes to help his friend. Why can't I be as good as a person as he is?"

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-11, 12:12 AM
As Natalia stares at the dagger, Max's story comes to mind. The elf with the staff, blown up in his face. She suddenly sees herself in that position, her dead on the ground, her arm charred and blackened, adamantine shrapnel in her chest while her friends lie wounded around her.

She shudders and puts the dagger deep in her pack, hunching over Rust as she grips his reins. Some part of her wonders if the others notice, or if they'll ask her why she's suddenly so scared, why she rubs and clenches her arm as if trying to memorize its shape. But of course they'd ask, if they cared about her. That's what friends do...right?

At least, what's what Natalia's heard, what impression she's gotten from watching others...

Admiral
2013-02-11, 03:17 PM
Kurt glances at Shiny, his face set in something of a grimace anyway, making it impossible to tell whether he's angry about the question or just in pain. "I will go where the party goes. But I think the party should help defend it."

As he rides, Shiny taps his hands together a few times, puts his right finger to his lips, and then points at Kurt. When he starts speaking again, it is in a soft tone that only the dwarf can hear.

Cast Message targeting Kurt. (As mentioned earlier, Shiny pulled up to ride alongside Kurt, but like his speech with Miriam he doesn't feel like involving others.).

"Sorry for the spell- I didn't want to make the others uncomfortable, especially our cipher-tongued friend. This gives us a bit of privacy."

"I'm sure you know what we lost when we were brought back- reversing death is no trivial ordeal. And you know that we wouldn't be here if it weren't for Natalia's generous contribution- thousands of pieces of gold worth, given to each of us. Did you know she sold her bird, just to see us again?" Shiny seems genuinely touched.

"I don't know about you, but she hasn't said a word about the debt to me. But then she never was the best at expressing herself." Shiny turns a bit red about talking about her while she's only a few yards away, even though he knows the spell makes it impossible for her to hear. "And anyway, that's the kind of person she is- always wanting what is best for the group and the mission."

"But that's not our decision to make, and just because she hasn't presssed the debt doesn't absolve us of it. This mission- acquiring this item from the giants- will grant us nearly two thousand gold pieces each- enough to give her back what we owe her in a single week's work. (You've seen what the government in Hulburg offers by way of reward, and you know it pales in comparison)."

"And beyond the debt- think what that gold will do in the hands of our party. You know Natalia will spend it on what's best for the group, for the mission, for the outpost. Heck, if we gave her that gold right now there's every chance she'd use it to buy you a brand new axe, just to replace the one you lost. Or she'll spend it on traps, enough to give us the edge when we defend against the oncoming ogre horde. And Miriam- every copper piece will go to orphans, widows... a nobler cause could not be found."

"But all that is almost beside the point. The fact is that we owe our very existence to Natalia. Let's repay our debt."

Athedia
2013-02-11, 03:47 PM
Mithril continued making the gestures of her spells in the back of the group. She was starting to work up the courage to try an actual spell... but what. She decided to start small since it was getting dark. She started the phrases needed to call light into existence. Then as she spoke she removed her right hand from the reins, making the gesture of pulling something from an imaginary bag to her side. As four orbs of light moved into her view she let go of the reins entirely.

"YES!" Noticing her sudden cry had drawn the attention of others in the group she quickly wiped out the lights, hiding her red face in the darkness. Whiskers shifted in front of her "Bright hurt."

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-11, 04:16 PM
Natalia looks up curiously when she sees Shiny's lips moving out of the corner of her eye, but looks back down when she can't hear anything. Her thoughts travel back to the dagger. Part of her wants to get rid of it straight away. Part of her wants to keep it and use it for emergencies. Most of her wants to figure out what happened...from a safe distance, of course. If the dagger started breaking down when she used it and spent decades in stasis in Alabaster's abode, then it should probably stay safe as long as she doesn't use it. And if not...

Well, then she'd just have to warn everyone away from her, wouldn't she. Natalia's not exactly suicidal, but...well, honestly, how much could someone like her possibly be worth? What value does she have that isn't exceeded by the others in the group, by nearly anyone else?

Years and years of "slow" and "nuts" and "the strange one" and being treated as an afterthought will get to anyone. Ruby triggered some stuff she's been trying and failing to bury. Also, I figure this would be a good way to explain her quietness from now on to other people. Of course, it could go either way depending on how PCs and NPCs treat her. Basically, Natalia's fragile like Miriam, but in different ways. Part of her yelling earlier was asserting it to herself.

Mithril's shout startles Natalia out of her brooding for a moment and she nearly tips over. "W-what?" she asks, turning around. "Found something free? What workings?" Her voice sounds even more scattered and distracted than usual.

Cavelcade
2013-02-11, 07:37 PM
Kurt lets the horse walk along on its own head for a time, seeming to weigh up Shiny's words as best he can. "It is...easy, to always think of the long term, sometimes, and say what we can do tomorrow." He says no more for a minute, hushing Shiny if he tries to interrupt his thoughts, frowning at the darkness.

"But in the end we're all dead. We have to do what we can now, not later. Natalia deserves to be repaid, and will be. This way is...faster, I suppose. But I wonder about the fastest way, Shiny. Fast and easy, that's what landed me here, far away from my home."

He still hasn't clearly said anything, though, seeming to be slowly settling his own internal debates with the monologue, as he rides on in silence for another while.

I will go with you, because you are my friends, and I have debts it might help pay, but I will not pretend to like it. I don't think it's the best thing I could do with my...talents, as they are. Maybe you are right, though. I can't answer the question of whether or not it's right for me to go with you - I can only say that I will. That will have to be enough, my friend."

Admiral
2013-02-11, 08:28 PM
Shiny nods in understanding, glancing over at Kurt with a sympathetic nod, and dismisses the spell. He then slows down his pony to go back to his usual position in the march.

Zman
2013-02-11, 10:20 PM
The Northeastern Outpost

The party travel, as dawn approaches the group can see the solid stone outpost ahead of them. Even early the outpost is busy with activity. More men than before line the battlements, bows and crossbows stationed at the ready along the battlements, each with a quiver full of arrows and quarrels. The flag of Hulburg wave at each corner, with one at the top of the center tower beating proudly in the wind. Four small catapults are arrayed in the courtyard, bolders and oil balls stacked at the ready. A smattering of Ballistas arm the walls, fortified for siege warfare. The compliment of the outpost has grown, maybe three or four score men.

Both the primary and secondary gates are maned, basic precautions ready for any who attempt to storm the gates. A dozen horse are tended in the stables, chain barding at the ready, each with a lance at hand.

In but a few days the Norheastern outpost of Hulburg has made herself ready for war, a war with a Hill Giant tribe of the Galena Mountains.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-11, 10:22 PM
Natalia blinks. Their band of six seems motley and scraggly in comparison. She turns to Kurt and murmurs, "...Could be fine without us?"

Ah well, we've got to sleep anyway, so we'll get a better look at the internal stuff and morale then! They'll probably have a masterwork short sword/rapier/dagger/light weapon; I'm not too concerned about that.

Cavelcade
2013-02-11, 11:35 PM
Kurt glances up tiredly, his eyes quite sunken at this stage. "Who knows, Natalia? Not even the gods, I think." His voice trails off as his eyes return to his horse's neck.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-11, 11:37 PM
"...Sleep first then," Natalia mutters, worried about Kurt's state. "And...Learn more about inner strength than outer shell."

If Kurt needs help getting inside, Natalia gives it.

Athedia
2013-02-12, 12:11 AM
Mithril walked Honey to the stables, ignoring any offers to help her brush down and prepare her horse for the night. When she was done she pulled one of the stable workers aside. "Please keep people away from my horse. The man I bought her from said she was prone to biting those around her, and while she has always behaved for me, I fear she will not get along so well with others."

I have decided to base my descriptions of Honey off of Peachblossom from the Protector of the Small series

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-12, 12:13 AM
Natalia leads Rust to the stables as well, and helps Kurt with his horse if he needs it. She turns to Mithril and, with a swallow says, "Need to talk...about dagger, something..." She shakes her head.

achinca
2013-02-12, 10:30 AM
Miriam looks at the siege preparation "War is coming. Warriors will be needed. Wizards will be needed. Cunning will be needed. Healing will be needed."

She says the rest in her head "and instead we will be trying to steal a stone because it is what is important to the majority of the group."

She brings her borrowed horse to the stables before finding a place to crash in the hay. She looks at Kurt and Shiny "I will remove your curse tomorrow and then we can go find the stone that Shiny so desperately wants to find to keep his side of a contract."

She goes to sleep, disgusted with herself but knowing that helping the group is what really matters.

Cavelcade
2013-02-12, 10:45 AM
Kurt stretches and sighs, finding a dry spot to sleep and immediately throwing himself down, barely pausing to take off his armour.

Zman
2013-02-12, 10:56 AM
Northeastern Outpost

As the hint of dawns light begins to crest the countryside, the group of adventurers begins to rest for the night. The group stables their horses, Hiney is given a wide breadth, as is cusommary for warhorses.

The group is so exhausted that they take little care and sleep in piled mounds in the stables, knowing full well that with this compliment of soldiers the barracks is already full.

As the group awakes, just past mid day to a stable boy scraping muck from a neighboring stall, both Shiny and Kurt look much better, as if the mysterious affliction has left their bodies.

Spent 24 hrs advancing the quest, Geas Penalties removed until 24hr is spent opposing the Geas Quest.

Admiral
2013-02-12, 11:17 AM
Shiny springs to his feet the moment he awakens, newly energized. "Up and at 'em, warriors, the mission awaits!"

As the others arise and prepare themselves, he lays out the information contained in the letter from R, and starts to meditate on a plan.

Shiny is looking at what is described in this post (http://alt.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263292&page=27#post14415642).

Once the others are awake, he calls them over. His eyes are narrowed, his usual goofy affectations abandoned for his new role as the mastermind.

"The camp can be safely approached from the North, by scaling this steep cliff- the guard is far weaker there. I don't know whether we can all make it up the cliff- but I know how one of us can."

"My plan relies on a combination of three spells- one gives the power to climb with the ease and grace of a spider, one grants invisibility to the eye, and another establishes an area of complete silence around a person. (The latter two would be even more effective if lent greater longevity, through that useful rod of yours)." Shiny nods to Valen. "With that combination, one of us can easily infiltrate the camp and retrieve the item from the hoard. I think there is little doubt that infiltrator should be Natalia Nonoise, the sneakiest and craftiest of all of us."

"The rest of the party will be on the other side, crafting a diversion to draw the guard away from the hoard. One the item is acquired, we can retreat, perhaps covering our escape with a spell of obscuring mist."

"There are further details to cover. But are we agreed on the approach?"

achinca
2013-02-12, 11:27 AM
After praying to St. Cuthbert, Miriam removes the curse from both Shiny and Kurt.

"You lead the way." she says to the gnome as she waits for the group decision.

She makes no comments on the plan. Her face shows her displeasure with the idea but she has given her word to Shiny.

Nothing like using my best two spells to remove the curse. :smallsmile:

Even if they do not show the symptoms, Miriam does not really understand how the curse works so she decided to just remove it.

Zman
2013-02-12, 12:01 PM
Valen nods at Shiny, "What of this place and it's brave souls?" though he agrees, he is drawn to defend such an place against the magnitude of the force raised against it.

Admiral
2013-02-12, 12:06 PM
As Shiny speaks, he stares down at the maps, his mind whirring almost visibly. Finally looks back up. "On second thought," he says reluctantly, perhaps it should be me to infiltrate the camp."

He starts to enumerate his reasons on his long, slender fingers.

"I have a spell that gives me supernatural speed- letting me get in and out faster, and better evade the giants in the event of discovery. If the invisibility runs out, I can recast it. If I need to get guards out of my way without alerting them of my presence, I can do so with an illusion- a noise, or an image of an intruder. I have another spell that can open any locked door or chest in mere seconds. And once the deed is complete, I can signal the rest of you with a spell of dancing lights."

He takes a deep breath. "But beyond all those reasons... We're on this quest because of me, and it's time for me to take responsibility." He gives a guilty glance towards Miriam. "It is right that I bear the risk."

Zman
2013-02-12, 12:10 PM
Valen begins to nod, pauses and stares at the gnome, "An unusually sensible suggestion. What shall the rest of us do whilst you slip sight unseen sound unheard? A distraction against such foes may prove our end."

Zman
2013-02-12, 12:15 PM
Stables

As the group discusses their plan, the young stable boy continues to muck the stalls, pretending not to notice their conversation.

Admiral
2013-02-12, 12:16 PM
Valen begins to nod, pauses and stares at the gnome, "An unusually sensible suggestion. What shall the rest of us do whilst you slip sight unseen sound unheard? A distraction against such foes may prove our end."

Shiny meditates on this. "Maybe no diversion will prove necessary. Our intelligence suggests there are about six or seven guards, but even if there were six or seven dozen it could still be possible to slip through."

"If a diversion does become necessary, I can send up a signal- a set of glowing colored lights. That would signal you to launch an attack from the south that could draw off the guards. And if I recall correctly, I believe Miriam has a spell of think, dark mist that could cover a retreat."

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-12, 12:19 PM
Natalia frowns, having returned from getting a shortsword. She pipes in saying, "What if another tracker like before? Escaped vines by reflexes and luck. What if...lose that too?" She shakes her head. "We can't win fights directly...But Shiny, back at boat, false dragons? And the cliff...Spells to slow falls, if we jump?"

She passes him one of the sacks. "Invisible gear, invisible inside."

achinca
2013-02-12, 12:26 PM
Miriam nods at the gnome. "As I have done when the huge bird attacked us, I can create a mist to buy us time to escape."

She looks at Natalia, straining to understand what she meant and gives up.

Admiral
2013-02-12, 12:28 PM
Shiny thinks carefully as he looks down at the maps and papers, mumbling to himself in gnome. Before anyone knows it, his mumbling had turned to an arcane incantation, and he's cast a spell.

Message, targeting up to four of the party members talking to him (one creature/level). Mithril might still be preparing spells, in which case she's the one who is not included. If all five of them are talking to him, he'll have to leave out Kurt (sorry Kurt).

Shiny's next whisper is heard only by those he wishes to hear it. "It's possible we may have a spy here." His eyes glance subtly over at the stableboy.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-12, 12:29 PM
Natalia sighs and tries again. "When sneaking with ogres...one tracked me. Invisible body, but visible tracks. What if giant trackers too? Danced from trapping vines set up, but can Shiny?"

She blinks at Shiny's message, then whispers in Draconic, "Leave? Or fake plans?"

Athedia
2013-02-12, 01:28 PM
Mithril had spent the time before Shiny's plans deciding what to study for the day. As his message hit her ears she nodded in agreement. "If you wish to go, I can cast magical armor on you. The spell should last most of the day."

Mithril's Spell List
Level 0:
Prestidigitation
Prestidigitation

Level 1:
Shield
Mage Armor
Magic Missile
Magic Missile

Level 2:
Cloud of Knives
Acid Arrow
Acid Arrow

Level 3:
(Level 2 sub) Acid Arrow
Haste

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-12, 01:31 PM
"But yourself?" Natalia asks.

Athedia
2013-02-12, 01:32 PM
Mithril tapped the circlet she wore on her head. <Draconic>"This isn't just pretty jewelry, it turns out it helps me remember spells."

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-12, 01:35 PM
So that's how she was able to cast so much after Alabaster's cave. Natalia asks Miriam, "Sure it's safe?...And...do spell memories share among others?"

Admiral
2013-02-12, 01:35 PM
Shiny smiles warmly at Mithril's offer. "Thank you, but it won't be necessary- as it happens I know the same spell. I only wear this chain shirt because it makes me look dashing."

FWIW, the first sentence is actually true.

Zman
2013-02-12, 02:45 PM
Stables

Shiny is positive that the stable boy is listening, but he's pretty sure it's innocent eavesdropping.

Admiral
2013-02-12, 03:00 PM
Shiny points towards the stableboy with his eyes. "Let's go ahead and talk about this later, when we're alone. Anyway, it sounds like our plan has come together."

He shuffles the papers back together and puts them away, then stands up to leave the barn.

If we want to discuss the plan further, we can do so on the way to the giants.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-12, 03:15 PM
Natalia nods. Before they leave, she tries to get a feel for the state of the outpost--their defenses, intelligence, morale, etcetera.

Zman
2013-02-12, 03:18 PM
Stable Boy

As the group prepares to leave, the stable boy works up his courage, "Are...are you really leaving us? To fight the giants aa..alone?". The boy is visible frightened about the prospect of the giants cmng there.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-12, 03:25 PM
Natalia bites her lip. "Going to harass, hinder...maybe back fast, maybe not..."

Athedia
2013-02-12, 03:25 PM
Mithril looks at him with a small sadness in her eyes. "If our plan succeeds then the giants will turn back, most likely hoping to kill us instead. "

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-12, 03:27 PM
With a gulp at Mithril's words, Natalia says nervously, "They...We'll slip into shadows, right?"

Admiral
2013-02-12, 03:35 PM
Stable Boy

As the group prepares to leave, the stable boy works up his courage, "Are...are you really leaving us? To fight the giants aa..alone?". The boy is visible frightened about the prospect of the giants cmng there.

Shiny steps forward, his manner confident, assuming the role of the leader once again. He reaches up to put his hand on the boy's soldier.

"We all have our duties to perform. Our work lies north of here- it is dangerous, but it is the kind of work that only we can do."

"The soldiers at this fort have their own duty, and that is to protect every citizen of Hulburg, including you. You shouldn't be afraid. You should simply be ready to do your part, however small that is."

Wondering whether that inspired him:

Diplomacy (I assume):[roll0]

Zman
2013-02-12, 03:37 PM
Stable Boy

Looking at Shiny and soaking in his words, "Must be important. Did the Commander send you on it? It's hard to imagine what quest would require you to sneak through the giants like that."

Admiral
2013-02-12, 03:40 PM
Stable Boy

Looking at Shiny and soaking in his words, "Must be important. Did the Commander send you on it? It's hard to imagine what quest would require you to sneak through the giants like that."

"The source of our orders is not up to me to divulge," says Shiny. His determined face and noble manner give every impression that their mission is a critical one ordered by the highest ranks of the Hulburg military. "Now move along," he adds, patting the boy on the back encouragingly.

achinca
2013-02-12, 03:46 PM
Miriam bites her lips and looks the other way, feeling so sorry for the stable boy.

She was growing more and more uncomfortable going for the stone giving the outpost situation. So she clinged to Natalia idea that taking care of the stone would help the outpost. But deep inside, she knew that potentially, Shiny had made all of them sign the death warrants of the soldiers and the stable boy and all the innocents in the outpost.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-12, 04:00 PM
"If fast, could fight too," Natalia says. "Besides, not sure if six is enough...compared to here."

Did she get a good look and feel for the conditions of the outpost?

Cavelcade
2013-02-12, 05:17 PM
"One could be enough, Natalia. Even you could be enough, youngster. All it takes is to stand and be true, sometimes." Kurt looks up from where he's inspecting his axe, his eyes sparkling with something like their own light as he focuses his mind on the mission. "If you can hold out, we can fall on them from behind. There are many possibilities."

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-12, 05:19 PM
"Should return...Three days, hopefully," Natalia says.

Zman
2013-02-12, 06:16 PM
Stable Boy

The stable boy just turns white when told to hold out for three days as he leaves and continues about his business.

Admiral
2013-02-12, 06:27 PM
Shiny looks after the boy, deep in thought, and seemingly with with a touch of regret. He very slowly turns around to face his colleagues. Every fiber in him seems to be straining against what he's about to say.

"I'm completing this mission no matter what. And I am honored that you've all volunteered to come with me. But you all..." ...he pauses for a moment... ...you all deserve the chance to stay here and fight, free of guilt or manipulation. My plan can be completed even if I'm entirely on my own- it's dangerous but possible. And I won't judge any of you for an instant."

"I made my choice. Now make yours. Who is coming with me?"

I thought it was worth saying explicitly IC. If ZMan is OK with us splitting the party, then Shiny is OK with some people staying behind.

And like Shiny, I want to know that this is everyone's choice, so no one can blame me or him if we go and the outpost falls to the giants.

(Of course, anyone who stays behind is forfeiting their share of the reward!)

Cavelcade
2013-02-12, 06:48 PM
"The group stays together, Shiny. I'm not going to let you run off on your own, especially after promising already to do it." Kurt seems almost amused at the suggestion, startlement fighting it for control of his face.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-12, 07:12 PM
Natalia says, "If giants in a day, both here and there, then Hulburg only waits one or two. We...may still have...time...after. Can't let you off to be swatted. Need distraction, more flies."

Zman
2013-02-12, 08:37 PM
While they are discussing their plans for the day Natalia notices a Hawk Circling far above the outpost.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-12, 08:39 PM
Natalia takes a good look at the hawk circling above. Is there anything unusual about it? She wonders what kind of hawk it is as well.

Can I do other things with that 28 spot check? :smallbiggrin:

Is there anything off about the hawk? Does it have jesses?

Athedia
2013-02-12, 09:09 PM
Mithril laid a hand on Shiny's shoulder. "No worries, I will go with you if only to carry you out again."

achinca
2013-02-12, 09:15 PM
Miriam looks at Shiny.

"I do not want to go but I must follow you. I gave you my word and St. Cuthbert has given me the responsibility for this group. Even if I do not like it, I trust St. Cuthbert plan."

The cleric seems totally unsure of her decision yet she is resolved to go with the group.

Zman
2013-02-12, 10:03 PM
Lt. Serne

As the group discusses their plan a heavily armored man approaches from the barracks. He carries himself like Lt. Arnott in station, but the sneer across his face only emphasizes his large beak like nose. "You are the mercenaries sent from Hulburg for aid?"

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-12, 10:05 PM
Natalia looks back down, startled. Who told him that? Oh man, forget talking about anything. Shiny's on his own for this one.

Admiral
2013-02-12, 10:43 PM
Shiny shakes his head politely. "I'm afraid not. We have been hired for a different mission, and were just stopping here for the night. When we return, in 2-3 days time, we would be more than glad to provide whatever aid we can."

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-12, 11:19 PM
Natalia's surprised at Shiny's honesty. But still, who told them they'd assist?

achinca
2013-02-13, 07:14 AM
Miriam looks the other way, disgusted with herself as it is another she condemns to death.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-13, 12:26 PM
Swallowing, Natalia mutters, "Promise help soon, two days, but...seem stronger than us. More men, more weapons."

Zman
2013-02-13, 01:42 PM
Lt. Serne

Looking at Shiny, dislike at his evasion across his face, "Different Mission? Are you not the mercenaries in service to Hulburg, the same ones who defeated an Ogre tribe in the West, and recently from Hulburg? You have out thanks for Rikul's safety, we have dire need of a quality healer. What mission have you been assigned, as Commander of this fort I am privvy to such information."

Admiral
2013-02-13, 02:23 PM
"My employees and I are under the strictest orders not to reveal the details of our mission, even to you." Shiny says, truthfully.

"As you note, we have been of service to Hulburg before. Will you let us carry out our mission, or will you hold me and my employees here by force?" Shiny says. His expression shows subordination to the lieutenant's authority, but also implies concern for the apparently urgent mission he's been assigned.

Zman
2013-02-13, 02:56 PM
Lt. Serne

The tall man responds, "Orders..." doubtfully, "I cannot force you to stay, if you can give me an idea of your mission I may be able to give you additional information and intelligence that may be of use."

He pauses, "Though I'd be remiss to say we could not use the aid in these trying times."

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-13, 02:59 PM
Natalia smiles. This seems to be going better than she expected. She hopes Shiny will will give an idea of what they're doing.

Admiral
2013-02-13, 03:41 PM
Shiny nods grimly, his voice gruff but sympathetic. "Believe me that I understand the difficulty of your situation- these times are dark indeed. We will be back as soon as we can."

"All that I can tell you is that we are going north, behind enemy lines. If you know of a way we can get there while avoiding as many of the giants as possible, it would be greatly appreciated."

My sense of geography keeps failing me so I can't remember if this is due north. In any case, Shiny gives a generic idea of where they're going, without giving enough to specify that their destination is the giant hoard.

Zman
2013-02-13, 05:33 PM
Lt Serne

The man is skeptical, and wary about the Gnomes plans, "You wish to make it behind the enemy lines. My best advice would be for your Mage to teleport you there, she can use the tower to draw her sight over the hills. Every one of our scouts has encountered quick Resistence as they attempted to approach the Giants.". The pauses for a second, "The main bulk, roughly two dozen the bastard brute included, are North East of here, making a slower line towards the Outpost. Two other groups have broken off, one approaching from theEast and one the South, each about a dozen strong. We expect their assault to begin tomorrow night, less they risk a day assault tomorrow."

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-13, 06:38 PM
Oh Gond, that's even worse than Natalia thought. Pale, she manages to stammer out, "But...why attack? Know why? Any clue?"

Athedia
2013-02-13, 11:29 PM
"If I had the ability I would. Unfortunately the ability to travel in such a manner is beyond my reach."

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-13, 11:33 PM
"Maybe...defend now, gem later?" Natalia whispers to her friends. "Dead giants won't attack twice, here and there, only once. May not...make difference, if we win."

Admiral
2013-02-14, 11:26 AM
Once he's finished getting information and directions from the lieutenant, and the officer has left, Shiny turns to the rest of the group. "Sounds like we have another decision to make. There's a short, risky route, where we will likely run into a force of giants and have to hide or worse. There's a longer, safer route, but that would mean we'd probably have to delay the operation another day. If we take the longer route and skip sleeping, then maybe..."

"I say we take the long route, stop to rest, and we wait until night to infiltrate. We can't help Hulburg if we're dead."

Cavelcade
2013-02-14, 11:39 AM
Kurt glances around, frowning as he sees the preparations almost complete while he has to leave them to defend alone.

"I think the shortest route, even if riskier. We just have to be ready to run - it's not like we'll miss 12 giants coming towards us at least."

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-14, 12:16 PM
Natalia says, "Whether safer of hastier, if swift and no rest, be there and back sooner. Can go sleepless one night. No spells cast, no need to stop. Waste of time, time we...don't have. Save spells until giants, save rest until after. Whether direct or around, fast and no stopping. Run from fights, no spells used."

She nods at Kurt. "Get there sooner, get back faster. Help faster, help in two days, not three. More chance for aid then."

Athedia
2013-02-14, 12:46 PM
"I don't like the idea of not resting. I am no use on this mission if I have no rest, my spells do not stay in my mind in such conditions."

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-14, 12:50 PM
"What if held in your head, uncast? Do they vanish at dawn even then?"

Athedia
2013-02-14, 01:04 PM
"The spells I chose are not as useful for the place we are going. They are meant to deal with the animals of the wilderness from a distance. Not defend my life as a distraction."

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-14, 01:07 PM
"What...of your spells would?" Natalia places a hand on her shoulder. "Won't let giants get to you. Promise. Set distraction far away, place myself before you."

Zman
2013-02-14, 01:22 PM
Valen, thinking as his companions are discussing their plans and the fate of the men around them as if they do not matter. Slightly disgusted, "If you are so callous to leave these men to their own fate, we have little reason to rush and risk an unnecessary conflict with the Giants. I say we take our time and take time to avoid the Norther pack of Giants. I do not see how we could return in time to be of aid."

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-14, 01:24 PM
Natalia groans, laces and yanks her hair through her fingers. She asks the lieutenant, "Two days against giants...survivable?" She looks at Valen and sighs, "You're right. Should...make them wait. Lives over gold, more important. So why...why have us think obsessed of going there, you and Mithril and Shiny and Kurt, then stop thinking, stop hurting...with... Miriam's... cursebreaking..." Natalia trails off. Her mouth drops slightly open eyes go wide.

Athedia
2013-02-14, 01:48 PM
Mithril brushed off Natalia's concerns. "These lives are not in my hands. They signed up for this duty with knowledge that they may be collected sooner than later. I didn't. Even if I stayed, I would be off little use. I can not heal and am not equipped for defense. If I was put in the field of battle, I would be more of a hindrance than a help.

Call me callous all you wish. Just as Shiny absolved himself from our possible fates, I absolve myself from these mens." Mithril faced away from the group as she spoke, preparing Honey for the trip. No-one could see her face, the only indication that she hated herself for saying this. But she knew what came from caring to much for someone, and had finally let Miriam's words about Henry sink into her heart. I am not responsible for these men, they signed onto this life and I should let the fates take their course.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-14, 01:52 PM
Natalia swivels towards Mithril, her jaw now hanging open for a different reason. "But...your spells...Extra armor, sure shots, make one fight like two..." No. No, she couldn't mean it. She didn't mean that she didn't care about these men at all, she couldn't! Couldn't leave them to their fates while feeling nothing!
"M...Mithril?"

Cavelcade
2013-02-14, 05:39 PM
Kurt puts a hand on Natalia's head, shaking his head and simply putting a finger to his lips. "The decision has been made. We'll do what we have said, then, and deal with the consequences."

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-14, 05:43 PM
"But--" Natalia protests. She sighs, then hangs her head. "Take gem, tell them...safekeep it next time. Safekeep it up their ass." Her hand falls to her side. "Why...say she doesn't care?"

How did he put his hand on her head without using a stepladder? :smalltongue:

Zman
2013-02-14, 10:53 PM
Lt Serne

As the group finishes restocking their horses and preparing to head out, Lt. Serne approaches once more, "Any way I can persuade you guys to stay? We have the need."

Let's finish any prep and prepare to head out.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-14, 10:59 PM
Natalia looks back at the others, then at the lieutenant. She closes her eyes and says, in a pained voice, "I...I'm sorry..."

Mithril's back is still turned to the group. Natalia isn't sure about what she's feeling, but she doesn't like it one bit.

Because Mithril's back was turned to the group before. Also, I think I'm good to go.

Admiral
2013-02-15, 11:34 AM
Shiny shakes his head, his eyes sympathetic but utterly unmovable. "We're going. May the gods bring you victory, lieutenant."

He goes to his pony and mounts it, then looks to Miriam and Valen. "What are your votes? The fast path, or the slow?"

Zman
2013-02-15, 12:01 PM
"Prudence over haste." Valen looks back at the soldiers, a hint of emotion flashes across his face.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-15, 01:12 PM
Natalia just sort of shakes her head, lost in her own thoughts.

achinca
2013-02-15, 01:59 PM
Miriam just shrugs in response to Shiny's question.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-15, 03:31 PM
Natalia just says quietly, "Don't care, just...swift and living..."

Admiral
2013-02-15, 03:53 PM
"It sounds like we're almost ready to leave," says Shiny, as he's stepping onto his pony. As he does, he smiles as if something occurs to him, and he steps back down. Though I have one more matter to take care of- there's something I can give the stableboy that will help him in the upcoming battle. Valen, I'll need your help."

Patting Tinkerbell on the mane, he steps away, gesturing for Valen to follow him, and walks back towards the stables.

Zman
2013-02-15, 03:56 PM
Valen, unenthused follows Shiny, "What do you require?"

Zman
2013-02-15, 05:04 PM
Minutes have begun to pass by and Valen and Shiny have yet to return...

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-15, 05:07 PM
Natalia looks up after a couple minutes. "Valen and Shiny...Where?" she asks the others, wondering if they have any idea. She tells the others, "Looking," before wandering around.

Athedia
2013-02-15, 06:17 PM
Mithril checked to make sure her belongings where in order. If only she had been able to finish her wand she could have given that to Shiny to protect him while sneaking. Oh well, whats done is done. She swung onto Honey's back, giving the horses main a quick hug. Honey had been a good protector and she was glad she had the horse.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-15, 06:29 PM
"Shiny? Valen?" Natalia calls as she wanders outside to head to the stables. There she finds Mithril on her horse and asks, "Mithril, Shiny and Valen...seen them? Vanished like his spell."

She wants to ask the wizard why she said those things...but she'd been ignoring Natalia all day...maybe she should just stop trying.

Zman
2013-02-15, 08:18 PM
Valen can be seen walking back towards the stables, having left the main barracks.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-15, 08:20 PM
"Ah! Valen!" Natalia shouts, rushing towards him when she notices something--or rather, the lack of something. She nearly falters over her words and feet.

"Where's Shiny?"

Zman
2013-02-15, 08:27 PM
"I do not know where the Gnome is." Valen looks at Natalia and responds.

"I have spoken to the Lt. He as need of our talents."

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-15, 08:35 PM
Natalia stares at Valen blankly, as if she can't comprehend what he's saying. "Wait, thought...going to giants? And now protect? So...protect first, then giants?" A creeping dread is starting to gnaw at her. "Where's Shiny?"

Athedia
2013-02-16, 12:08 AM
Mithril froze. Shiny was missing? "Whatever use the Lt. has for us, I refuse to do without knowledge of Shiny. I promised I would be there for him, if only to carry him back." She did not get down from Honey, waiting for the others responses.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-16, 12:11 AM
Natalia nods, paling by the moment. "Just lived again, can't have him die again!" She's ready to get on Mithril's horse beside her and ride off after him...wherever he went.

Athedia
2013-02-16, 01:08 AM
Mithril let out a low growl. The blasted gnome had decided to go alone hadn't he. Well his tricks would hide him from her, she knew that much. She had no hope of finding him with her knowledge. Angrily she slid off Honey's back. "Is he coming back at all? Or did he leave for good?" Mithril directed the question at Valen. If I must stay here, I may as well finish work on my wand. It wouldn't hurt if I am to help in battle.

Zman
2013-02-16, 01:17 AM
Valen struggles to describe Shiny's actions, "He did what he felt was right...if one can believe such a thing."

achinca
2013-02-16, 08:39 AM
Miriam shakes her head and sights "What next?"

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-16, 08:43 AM
Natalia twitches a little bit. "Went to own death, left us for certain death too...obligation to help against cursed gem quest... She goes quiet and still for a moment, then briskly walks to behind the stable and spends several minutes screaming at the top of her lungs.

The rogue returns and growls, a little hoarsely, "Rather help lives over gem...especially...with curses to force along."

Zman
2013-02-16, 10:23 AM
Valen, "He is doing what he believes is best. He stands an equal chance of succeeding on such pillage alone, whereas we can contribute here. In his fashion, he cares."

Cavelcade
2013-02-16, 10:43 AM
Kurt shakes his head, frowning at the ground and muttering in frustration at the gnome's recklessness.

"If we're here, we're here. We can't find him, so let's do what we can." Kurt then goes to ask for some way he can be useful.

Zman
2013-02-16, 11:05 AM
"The Lt has a couple of possibilities for our help. Inner Gate Defense, Rear Gate Defense, Ranged Support from the Battlements, Scouting and Harassing, or aiding in a support capacity, siege, infirmary, and anything else that needs doing."

Valen answers Kurt's question, as if the same hint had already crossed his mind.

We can stay together, split up and aid as best we are able, or just about anything you can thnk of.

Athedia
2013-02-16, 11:38 AM
Mithril turned around, walking back to the stables to rehouse Honey. "If I must stay, then I have my own work to do. And I expect to be compensated for the loss that it will occur me." Her hand went to the partially built wand in her bag. She hated having her first use of it here, in public, instead of in defense of her friends lives. The design of the wand was crude, it was still her first, and she was afraid of the laughter from the soldiers.

achinca
2013-02-16, 11:45 AM
Miriam's face shows disgust but her lips stays silent.

"You foolish little girl? When will you learn? Once again, a bunch of pretty lies makes you commit to do something you do not want to do only to be discarded like a soiled bandage when the person that made you swear does not need anymore. When will you learn? The gnome is a liar, like many you met before. Even when he looked sincere and gave you a glimpse of his past, he was just lying to make you commit. When will you learn? Look at Mithril. She does what she wants. Why can't you help good without always sacrificing yourself? As you just learned again, friendship is skin deep. Would they care about you if you suddenly could not heal them? It is time you do what is right for you girl or you will never learn."

She looks at Valen "I will be healing until I cannot heal anymore and then will defend until we win or St. Cuthbert calls me at his table."

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-16, 12:10 PM
Natalia says to Miriam, "No...we'll win. Have to win. Shiny...probably thought us safer here, behind stone walls, than out in open. Job was his, he...convinced, then guilt? I...don't know, but couldn't be greed, not all of it. Saved my life, trying again for us all. Has to."

"Scout," Natalia sighs in resignation. "Even Shiny...needs magic to sneak like me. Then return, defend. Front with blades or..." Natalia thinks of the dagger. "Shoot with bow, from back when too much."

Natalia turns to Mithril and tells her, "Your magic...stronger than you think, much stronger...will save us all..." What was going on with her? The rogue wasn't any happier about being pressed into doing this, but...well, she needed to prove her worth, and...how else? She places a hand on Mithril's shoulder. "Please...talk to me."

Cavelcade
2013-02-16, 01:28 PM
Kurt strokes his beard slowly, frowning at the options as if to make them tell them which he should undertake. "Have you seen the defences? Are the giants attacking from both sides?"

Zman
2013-02-16, 01:59 PM
The defenses are well designed, the forces of the outpost have prepared to repel the majority of the attack from the Northeast and East, which coincides with the bulk of the approaching Giant. The natural terrain seems to favor this approach as well for an assault as the there is a gate to the East and West.

"The Lt expects the bulk of the Giant's forces to hit the Eastern gate and walls. They yet don't understand why the Giant's have split their forces so with a quarter of their force to the North."

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-16, 04:34 PM
Natalia blinks. "What strength of soldiers? And...Do giants split forces, flank? Or too smart for them?"

What capabilities do the Hulburg soldiers have?

Zman
2013-02-16, 04:49 PM
The capabilities of trained soldiers.

Cavelcade
2013-02-16, 07:53 PM
Kurt mutters a bit to himself in dwarvish, considering the options. "If only we could be sure of their position, we could set up an ambush...ah, they're too close for that kind of tactic anyway. I will help with the main defence, then, unless we get word of a serious threat to the rear."

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-16, 08:44 PM
"Traps," Natalia says, her mind already conjuring up images of slippery terrain, hidden crossbows, and fire springing out from nowhere.

Athedia
2013-02-16, 11:43 PM
Mithril looked for a quiet clean spot to continue her work and sat down, finishing the wand she had started in the city. She took her time, carefully consulting her notes every few minutes to make sure she was putting down the right signs. The man had told her she would need more of her supplies, an idea that made her laugh. No-one else had seemed to notice it, but she had never had the need for the small trinkets that other spellcaster used up in their spells. Only if the spell was expensive did she require such objects.

As she continued the creation of the wand she felt a small amount of energy drain from her. It was slightly unnerving, but the old wizard had told her that the wand had needed some of her life energy, just a little, or it would be unusable.

Long story short. Mithril is finishing the wand.

Zman
2013-02-17, 02:12 PM
Preparation of the Outpost

Mithril spends her day finishing the work on her wand, outing many hours to finish her first magical creation. She is nearly finished before she is exhausted that Nig, but a few hours in the morning and her work shall be completed.

Kurt and Valen spend the afternoon drilling and working with the soldier. Few can match the skill of Kurt, and none his strength. The Sergeants and veterans among them are skilled but Kurt is sure he could best most.

Many are as skilled or more so with a blade then Valen, but none can overcome his raw strength and power.

The men are adequately equipped admd well armored, though their majlis unlikely to sand up long against a Giants strike.

Miriam spends the day aiding Rikul in establishing and preparing the infirmary for the days to come. Rikul's load of supplies were desperately needed and will be put to use.

Natalia spends the afternoon attempting to direct the defenses, being ignored by many. She ends up helping to carry and prepare the oil traps, hauling quarrels to the battlements, and helping to finish preparations.

As night falls on the outpost, moral seems to slump. One young soldier comments to the p as darkness falls, "Sixtty men and these tall walls, a that stands between the Giant Horde and the safety of Hulburg.". He pauses for a second, "Damned if I'd have thought the leadership would have spared more an expense, instead of setting us her to merely slow the onslaught while they ready the castle walls."

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-17, 02:23 PM
By late afternoon, Natalia gives up, and tries to resign herself to being ignored again. Instead she goes to Rikul and asks if he can make her another potion of Cat's Grace for the battle tomorrow.

"Why giants now?" Natalia asks. She shakes her head. "Not dying here."

Zman
2013-02-17, 02:36 PM
Rikul

"Lass, I'll need all of my magics on the morrow to keep the warriors fighting." Rikul politely declines her request.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-17, 02:44 PM
"No potions to brew now, for tomorrow?" Natalia tries to clarify.

Cavelcade
2013-02-17, 02:45 PM
Kurt grins during the day, as he learns the strengths and weaknesses of the fighters first hand, taking the blows with good cheer when they land them, sometimes taking on two at once, if they want. He restrains himself from doing anything too dangerous, making sure his own taps are light enough not to leave anything more than a bruise.

As the darkness settles in, he hears the soldier's comment and sighs a little, standing and going beside him, slapping the wall with his hand. "This is good stone. Thick, strong walls, made from the bones of the land. All it takes is a stout heart to keep them from being taken - and don't worry, if you feel yours quaking, remember, a giant's legs are longer than yours anyway. And my axe is sharp." He grins, glancing up at the heights. "So don't think of giving anything but your all while I'm still alive."

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-17, 02:49 PM
"What if too much?" Natalia whispers, "Didn't choose this, not like true soldiers..."

achinca
2013-02-17, 03:00 PM
Miriam listens to the soldier's complaint and chips in "For a lot of nobles and wealthy people commoners are just tools. Let's hope that the ones in Hulburg are not like that. I would suggest it would be good time to pray what ever god you worship. We will need they help when the giants attack."

She takes Kurt to the side "Kurt, I am so scared I am nearly emptying myself. I have never been in a work or been in such a desperate situation. Do we even have a chance?". The fear in her eyes is obvious as she is letting it show for the first time to one person she still trust.

She is holding her staff, looking at the crude symbol of St. Cuthbert she carved on it. In her dusty, dirty, formely white robe, she looks the part of the poverty flag bearer. "Do me a favor Kurt, if I die, burn my body and my staff. I do not want to be dinner for them ..."

Zman
2013-02-17, 03:21 PM
Rikul

I have exhausted my spells for this day making curative potions for the men. I am exhausted and must ready as much healing as I can for tomorrow. I cannot spare such a spell."

Soldier

The soldier just hangs his head, the two strangers were right. He had to fight, even if it was his lot in life.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-17, 03:24 PM
Natalia nods in understanding. She gulps as she surveys the forest. How did they get themselves into this? There's no way she can survive. The rogue shudders.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-17, 04:12 PM
At some point during the day Natalia wanders to where Mithril's working on her wand. She's quieter and more withdrawn than before; her arms are tightly crossed over her chest.

"Mithril," Natalia says, "I know...Don't want to talk, though not sure why...but wanted to tell you...tell others too, but you first...you...first and most of all..." The rogue approaches the mage and her work, then continues in just as quiet a tone. "If...If too much, then I think we run...didn't ask this, not like soldiers, but...but if can't, if giants on all sides, if no running, then...then I'll stay. You run, you live. I'll...I'll be your shield."

Athedia
2013-02-17, 05:03 PM
"That was my plan. I am only staying here for the rest of our group. If I was okay with leaving the rest of you as Shiny seems to have done I would be out of here in a heartbeat. But that isn't so." Mithril popped the knife out of its sheath on her wrist and started carving signs around the sides of the wand. They looked like crude representations of the script in her spellbook, which she kept referencing for accuracy.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-17, 05:08 PM
Natalia smiles a little at that, then leans over at Mithril's work. "Magic...beautiful, but need...tools deserving of it." She digs into her pack, then fishes out a tightly-closed leather case, which she hands to Mithril. Inside are several finely made crafting tools.

"Used for sheath," Natalia says, pointing to the hidden blade--or rather the neat carvings in the wood.

Natalia lent Mithril her masterwork crafting tools for this, for roleplay and flavor.

Athedia
2013-02-17, 05:12 PM
Mithril let out her first smile of the day. "Thank you, these will help greatly." Already the wand was looking more like she had envisioned and not a cheap caricature.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-17, 05:15 PM
Natalia laughs a little, saying, "Borrow whenever crafting, though..." She trails off. If Mithril made it out and she didn't, well, the wizard wouldn't have to ask to borrow it anymore...

Cavelcade
2013-02-17, 06:45 PM
Kurt looks seriously up at Miriam, then at the walls and the soldiers and nods to himself. "It's dangerous. I don't know enough about fighting really to be sure, Miriam, and I won't lie to you. But I think we can do it." He frowns at the dejected slump to the shoulders of the men. "If they will hold. They need to see strength, Miriam. We need to show it to them. That's the best thing we can do - and then they'll be rested, ready to bring order to the chaotic giants."

He smiles at her, hoping the words of her god might help her cope, before going back to the soldier and patting him on the back. "There's no need to hang your head. Put it aside, and hold yourself up for tomorrow, yeah?"

For a long while, Kurt wanders through the troops, putting forward a brave face, showing no worry, or doubt, and smiling, until he is forced to find someplace to rest at last.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-17, 09:15 PM
Natalia looks down curiously at the runs Mithril's carving into the wand, though the angle makes it difficult for her to read them. "What magic stored?" she asks.

Athedia
2013-02-18, 12:12 AM
Mithril examines one of the markings. "The one that never seems to miss. I thought it would be best as a backup, so that I don't run out of spells in tight situations again." She noticed a line missing on the mark and went back to fix it.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-18, 12:29 AM
"So Mithril Sureshot, all the time?" Natalia says with a smile. "With that and...new swift spell, we...may live."

Athedia
2013-02-18, 12:35 AM
Mithril looked up, meeting Natalia's eyes for the first time that day. "May? I don't doubt we will live, although it may mean dragging Miriam away from the wounded during our escape."

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-18, 12:40 AM
Natalia laughs a little bit. "If I have to...make her sleep, I will. Don't know sleep spell, but hilts work the same."

Athedia
2013-02-18, 10:31 AM
Mithril laughed, not quite sure if Natalia was joking. She was glad for company, but their conversation would lapse into long periods of silence while Mithril worked on some small detail, or did an incantation. Finally as night fell, she gathered up her materials. "I should be able to finish it tomorrow morning." She went off to look for the Lt., to tell him about her creation and ask where he would like her positioned the next day.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-18, 10:36 AM
"Good," Natalia says, "But...other spells too. Mithril Sureshot, but also many other things. You..." She trails off.

Natalia asks the Lieutenant the same thing, saying, "Swift fighter, but frail fighter. Good in groups, sneaking up, but can't fight...in open for long. Then could shoot."

Zman
2013-02-18, 12:40 PM
The Lt asks that the group be positioned on a Northern wall and help defend that portion of the outpost. He smiles at Mithril's description of her wand.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-18, 12:41 PM
"So...all together?" Natalia asks, a bit of relief creeping into her voice. "With how many of yours?"

Zman
2013-02-18, 03:11 PM
Lt. Serne

"I'll have as many men as necessary helping in your section. I can't predict where I will need the men, we'll be forced to react when the time comes." The Lt. doesn't seem as scared as the men around him, he wears the office like a true Shield Sworn.

As the day passes, tension mounts among the men and moral begins to falter. Still, no more reinforcements arrive from Hulburg. Only sixty men stand against an oncoming horde of giants.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-18, 03:27 PM
Natalia nods, but privately she thinks, I'll fight for you, but no way am I going to die for you. She whispers these thoughts to her friends later when nobody else is listening.

achinca
2013-02-18, 03:48 PM
Miriam, feeling she has done as much as she could to help Rikul prepare for the oncoming onslaught, takes Kurt's words at heart and goes around the camp, trying to lift the morale of the soldiers.

She offers words of encouragement, feeding of her own faith and tries to know the soldiers a little, asking about girlfriend, wife, children based on their age and trying to remind them why they are fighting.

She gives hugs, little squeezes on the shoulders of the soldiers to make it clear that she is with them and will be until the end.

She is totally at peace with the incoming doom. She approaches Valen and Kurt and takes them apart "I believe that you two, like me, understood that helping the outpost could mean death. We know all know that the gnome never cared about anything but the stone. I am worried that the other two are not willing to die to save the soldiers and it would be unfair to ask them to do so. May be you two could hint them that it would be fine if they decided that war was not their cup of tea. I think we should affront the giants with everyone committed to the fight. The soldiers' morale is low and seeing the other two be ready to bolt will not help. Mithril and Natalia heart is not in this fight. May be we should help them escape. What do you think?"

Cavelcade
2013-02-18, 09:37 PM
Kurt nods, the question clearly making him uncomfortable. "If they're not ready to give everything to defend it, if they're dividing their focus...well, it won't make it easy for them to do either one, escape or defend. I don't think I could say that, though, making soldiers smile is one thing; this would be..."

Zman
2013-02-18, 10:02 PM
Valen, "Children grow, either they will find inner strength and stay and fight, or they will run. Either way, it's their choice."

Valen seems uncaring if they were to run.

As Miriam makes her rounds, an old veteran soldier smokes a pipe, he seems unconcerned. When Miriam asks, he says the Hulmasters are crafty and not to count them out. That he believes they wouldn't needless sacrifice these men or this outpost.

achinca
2013-02-18, 10:19 PM
Miriam takes heart in the old soldier beliefs and she uses it when talking to the younger soldiers.

When it is time to retreat, she goes near Valen and Kurt near a small fire. "The night before a battle. It has an eerie feeling doesn't it. I have been looking at my short life and wondering if this is it. If it ends tomorrow, I will regret a few things. I will regret never finding my true love and bearing our children. I will regret not keeping my word to the orphans of Hillsfar. I will regret having never spent a night with that monk in Hulsburg." She winks at the two men.

She looks at the group with a bitter smile "But that is it. I have a good life. I have made a lot of mistakes but I learned from them and I tried to be good and do good as much as I could."

She stops and continues to reflect silently before concluding "Tomorrow is war. I go to it with a light heart and knowing that it is the right thing to do. I hope tomorrow is a good day to die......"

She gets up and starts walking towards her bedroll before turning back and adding "And if I survive this, I'll think, I'll try smoking the pipe. I like the smell of it. I will need someone to buy me a pipe and some tobacco...."

Athedia
2013-02-18, 10:38 PM
Mithril spent the time before her sleep cuddling Whiskers in a secluded corner. When she was sure she would not be seen she reached into her pocket and pulled out a scrap of paper. Tying it to Whisker's collar she whispered in his ear. "If I don't make it, if the giants kill me... You need to run. They won't notice you. Get to the temple in Hulburg, the place with the tasty water. You remember it. Find a nice person and get them to take the note. Please do this for me."

Cavelcade
2013-02-18, 10:38 PM
"I killed my trainer. That's why I had to leave my home, that's why I can't return, and that's why I want to try and do good. I made a horrible mistake, a terrible accident, and I was allowed to live and leave because, heh, well, I was."

Staring into the fire, frowning at it, his knuckles turn white on the haft of his axe.

"I wish I could do something else but this is what I am. If I die here, at least I'll die defending something. I could have died from my own stupidity otherwise."

Zman
2013-02-18, 10:42 PM
The group retires for the night, still sleeping in the stables. Some sleep, some do not.

Morning comes and is heralded by the golden glint over the horizon. The outpost is surprisingly silent as those preparations that need be made are, and there is little left to do but wait.

Just past dawn a few scouts return bringing news that the Maing group of giants has consolidated to the East and will be near in a matter of hours, three dozen in total. The Northern dozen are still seperate and advancing on their own. Both groups are said to be transporting large quantities of stones.

Natalia notices that the hawk in the sky is again still there, now accompanied by some slow swooping vultures circling the future field of battle, drawn by the potential of future carnage.

Just saw the posts, if I need to delay this post, just ask.

achinca
2013-02-18, 10:42 PM
Miriam smiles at Kurt "We all have done really stupid things. Look at me and my misplaced crush. Doing stupid things does not mean we are stupid. It gives us a chance to learn. And you have been doing a lot of good, Kurt. Do you think I would shield someone I do not trust to be good to their core?"

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-18, 10:43 PM
Natalia pauses at Kurt's statement. And yet...she can see it happening. Slowly, she asks, "What...triggered rage?"

She stares into the fire and says, "I left because...Nuts this, touched in the head that...couldn't take it anymore. Funny, few years ago, wouldn't have cared...much. But now?" She shakes her head. "Still need to earn value...you all, more than me."

At some point during the night, Natalia partially steps out of her cloud of thoughts, and pauses a few feet from Mithril. "Mithril?" Can...Can I..."

Athedia
2013-02-18, 10:48 PM
Evening
Mithril looked up, noticing the rogue standing nervously.

Morning
Mithril hears the news of the oncoming giants as she leaves her studying. She resumed work on her wand, praying to Boccob that she would be able to finish it in time for the attack.

Mithril Spell List
Level 0:

Level 1:
Magic Missile
Mage Armor
Magic Missile
Magic Missile

Level 2:
Cloud of Knives
Acid Arrow
Acid Arrow

Level 3:
Haste
Haste

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-18, 10:56 PM
Natalia sits by Mithril, swallowing nervously as she stares straight ahead. Finally, she looks at the mage and says, even more haltingly than usual. "Mithril, I...You'll live. Hopefully us both. But...if only one, then I choose you. Because..." She looks down at her hands. "I...You know why here, not back home. Not home there, not really, but...anyway. At first, just the magic, admiration at the magic you make dance, but..." She looks straight at Mithril. "You understand me. Know Nutspeak, know me, not the joke. Respect me. I...You mean...so much to me."

Natalia pauses, then takes a deep breath and steels herself. "Mithril, I...Don't know if you know, but..." She tries to work out the words for a moment, then sighs and mutters to herself, "Somehow easier with Lisk...more time, less death hanging above..."

Natalia closes her eyes, then touches her fingers to her lips before moving her hand to Mithril's. She blushes, and can't quite look her in the eye.

"If you don't want...to talk to me anymore...I understand."

The rogue curls up, terrified at what she may have just ruined.

I really hope I did a good job here.

Athedia
2013-02-19, 07:42 AM
Mithril looked at Natalia as she curled up, just sitting there for a time. A look of sadness crossed her face and she laid a hand on the girl's shoulder. "I think I understand you, though your meaning is more clouded than usual. And I am sorry." She sat there not looking at the girl. "I do not understand your feelings, but I respect them. If it is is love you feel, mine is devoted to knowledge in it's whole, neither man nor woman."

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-19, 07:47 AM
When Mithril asks if it's love Natalia feels, she answers with a tiny nod. And when Mithril finishes her line, Natalia squeezes her eyes shut and whispers, "...No time or place or room for both?"

So Mithril's asexual? :smalltongue:

Athedia
2013-02-19, 07:50 AM
"No want for both." Mithril kept her hand on Natalia's shoulder. "I am so sorry. I will not tell the others if you wish."

Yes.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-19, 07:54 AM
"I...I think they know..." Natalia whispers, her voice cracked and broken. "For a while...let myself think, wouldn't be alone..." At some point, she breaks down and starts quietly crying into her knees.

Poor Natalia...seems like nothing can go right for her.

Athedia
2013-02-19, 10:32 AM
Mithril drew Natalia into a hug. "Why don't you tell me about Lisk? Why is she not here with you?"

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-19, 11:10 AM
Natalia responds, a bit awkwardly, "She...heard the animals, heard the plants, helped grow the wheat, felt magic in nature and made it her own. Met her in bakery, so many times. First to hear, first to understand. We were...Eventually, said we weren't. Then she left. Left me alone again...Torin and Karik helped some, but they traveled away too..."

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-19, 03:49 PM
"Mithril," Natalia suddenly blurts as she stops idly tracing patterns into the ground and looks up. "Even if no room for both in heart, please...room somewhere for me...Please, can't...not alone, not again..."

Pretty much the most important thing for Natalia to say now, as well as her greatest fear. I'll stop now if you want me to.

Athedia
2013-02-19, 03:55 PM
Mithril took the young girls chin in her hand, tilting her face up toward her own. "You and all the others are a part of my life now. I do not abandon those who need me."

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-19, 03:57 PM
"T-Thank you..." Natalia chokes out. If nothing else, she has that. Sixteen years...she can't take the loneliness anymore, no matter how she tried to fake it when they all first met.

Zman
2013-02-19, 04:39 PM
Northeastern Outpost

Night comes and goes, the soldiers finish their preparations as the morning too passes. Just as the suns passes it's pinnacle the horns of Hulburg sound. Giants have been spotted in the distance.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-19, 05:05 PM
Natalia swallows. The previous night moves to the background as dread bursts forth within her. She gives a shaky nod to her...her friends...
Natalia takes her new longbow and rushes to the top.

(On my phone right now. I guess I'll fire the longbow until the giantsget closer, then go into melee until I get too hurt, then return to firing the longbow? Athedia, will Mithril be hasting me too,)

Athedia
2013-02-19, 05:14 PM
I assumed Natalia would be staying ranged. When they get close enough for melee Mithril will haste the 4 others and 6 of the soldiers. Two batches, 1st includes the four, and 1 soldier. 2nd includes rest of soldiers. Wrote on the wrong tab. Both were open.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-19, 05:20 PM
"I'll be near and far, blades and bow...but always here..."

Natalia looks gloomier than yesterday, and as if she's bottling something up.

(Athedia, this is the IC thread, and I was planning to duck in and out of melee depending on my HP total. Haste would be really nice for me and my sneak attack, if you want to use it on me that is.)

Cavelcade
2013-02-19, 06:35 PM
Kurt stands with the men, his axe in hand as relaxes, even stretching a little bit. "There we go." He seems to be trying to keep the men at ease by appearing confident, as he's seen others do.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-19, 07:11 PM
"I'll join when closer!" Natalia says, wondering when she should head up to the ramparts, or stay on the ground with her friends and fire arrows until the giants get closer.

How many arrows did they give Natalia?

What does this place look like? How far away is Natalia from the others if she's on the ramparts?

Athedia
2013-02-19, 08:39 PM
Mithril stood by those readying to charge out at the giants. A couple of soldiers made jokes about a mage wading into battle, but she just tapped her now completed wand against her hip and glared them down. As soon as the men and her companions started to leave she cast her quicking spells in quick succession, then retreated to the top of the wall where she could get a better aim.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-19, 09:01 PM
Natalia runs to the rest of the group on the ground, peering out at the giants. Nervously, she asks, "We're...standing firm, right? Weakening their charge with arrows and stones, then draw blades?"

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-20, 10:13 PM
Natalia peers out over the wall into the distance. How tall are giants? Could they reach over this wall and just smash her, or any of them--what kind of protection would that be? Nothing but lies...

She hopes Shiny's having better luck.

Zman
2013-02-21, 02:22 PM
Defense of the North Eastern Outpost

Shortly after the giants were sighted the thunderous crash of stone hitting stone can be heard. People yell of the Giant throwing stones from night 600' away at the Norther portion of the Eastern Wall. Shouts from the men in the courtyard can be heard as they begin moving the catapults and prepare to launch boulders and such back at the Giants, both at the length of their range.

From the vantage point of our motley group of adventurers, little of this is visible, only the sound of shouts and the crash of stone on stone. Their attention is affixed forward, at the dozen or so Giants ahead of them, standing on the higher ground over 600' away, out of range of all but the strongest crossbows, mere large humanoid shapes at this distance in the failing light of the late afternoon. Though, for now, the giants to the North are doing little but watching while their brethren stone the strong walls from a distance and the humans move to counter barrage the giants...

The battle has begun.

Cavelcade
2013-02-21, 03:07 PM
Kurt rests his axe against the crenellations in front of him, testing his bowstring. "What are they waiting for..?"

Zman
2013-02-21, 03:09 PM
"I do not know. I do not like them sitting there watching us." Valen turns his head and looks at Kurt.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-21, 04:41 PM
"Why?" Natalia asks. "Didn't think strategy like this...Remember ogres, how stupid?" She shakes her head. "Need to find the puppetmaster. Hooded one for ogres and giants too."

Seeing Valen's twitchiness she passes him her crossbow and bolts. "So less waiting. Though...would like back, if I live." She tests the aim of her longbow, drawing back the string, thankful that it came with a finger guard. Natalia's hunted with shortbows in the past, but the past couple months have built up strong muscle in more than her legs--though she's slim, she's able to pull back the long string with less effort than she thought it would take. The rogue tests drawing it with both hands, before deciding that yes, like most other things she'd prefer her left.

Doing something, even this, makes her feel better--though not much.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-21, 10:29 PM
Shaking her head, still too distracted and scared, Natalia tries to get a closer look at what's going on on the sides of the fort under attack, though she doesn't go too far.

Zman
2013-02-23, 01:53 PM
Defense of the North Eastern Outpost

The sounds of battle can be heard. The crash of stone on stone as the Giant's boulders crash into the Eastern Walls. The Giant's to the North stand still, simply observing at the distance of engagement range.

The bulk of the fighting is off the Eastern Wall, the Giant's concentrating the bulk of their attack to the southern portion of the wall, south of the Gates. Each successful impact chips a chunk of the wall off. The LubThub of the half dozen outpost Catapults, safe from return fire near the rear of the outpost, can be heard as they launch their large stone projectiles at the Giants. Even foes the size of Giants fear being hit by such projectiles. The longbowmen can be seen loosing volleys of arrows from the courtyard, the shieldmen in front, rank and file awaiting their call to repel Giant invaders.

Every now and then a scream can be heard as a man is wounded or killed, the infirmary already busy. Miriam begins helping those Rikul and her being their paramount work.

A few minutes into the engagement orders can be heard as the men of Hulburg attempt to bring the Catapults to bear with brutal efficiency, and the men of Hulburg respond to the thread. Only a dozen archers and the five adventurers stand staring at a dozen Giants to the Norht...

As the men of Hulburg begin moving Natalia Notices one Giant, standing furthest from the back seemingly leap into the air, becoming a hawk and flighing immensely high towards the bulk of the Giant's forces.

Miriam[roll0]
Kurt[roll1]
Shiny[roll2]
Natalia[roll3]
Mithril[roll4]
Valen [roll5]

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-23, 02:00 PM
Natalia gasps and stumbles back, screaming to the others and pointing at the "bird", "Shapeshifting giants! Close to nature, change to hawks! Fly above, then attack within! Clip its wings! NOW!!!"

Oh man, this is really bad...Hadn't Lisk told her once that those like her sometimes became close enough to nature that they could borrow the forms of it? But she hadn't been nearly strong enough...

Can Natalia attack the hawk? How far away is it?

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-23, 06:27 PM
Panicked, on reflex Natalia whips up her loaded crossbow and fires at the morphed bird, realizing seconds later how dumb her action was.

I know it's going to miss on pretty much anything but a 20, maybe I'll hit on an 18 or 19 if it's an eagle, but I've got 45 bolts and 40 arrows left and I'm not sure if I have a longbow or shortbow since apparently the Hulburg soldiers do have longbows. And frankly Natalia would probably fire on reflex and I've been chomping at the bit for nearly two weeks.

Attack: [roll0]
Crit confirm: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Honestly, I don't even care. Though of course I would have hit on the crit. Figures, it's exactly what I expected from her. Maybe I should roll up something that doesn't require as many rolls. Maybe some feat that lets me reroll, though I doubt it'll do me much good.

The bolt doesn't even come close. Natalia just sighs. Figures.

Athedia
2013-02-23, 10:53 PM
"Calm." Mithril readied her wand, breathing slowly in an effort to stop her hand from shaking. The second the crossed into her range, the instant they did, she was prepared to unleash her spells.

Zman
2013-02-23, 11:17 PM
Defense of the Norther Outpost

Natalia's arrow misses by a mile, its nigh impossible to hit a small moving object at that range.

As Mithril readies her spells, Valen turns to Kurt, "This should be fun.", a broad smile crossing his face.

What felt like ages, but in reality must have been measured in dozens of seconds, the sounds of battle still run, the Outpost's forces now committed to engaing the bulk of the Giants to the East. With little warning, the remaining 11 giants to the North began moving. Five began moving quickly towards the walls while the remaining six followed, lobbing volley's of Rocks at the Wall attempting to break open a small opening...

Initiative will be
Us
Enemies
Allies

Enemies are not visible on the map yet, but are at ~500' Some should be visible next round.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-23, 11:45 PM
The sinking feeling of dread at the sight of the giant's shifting nearly morphs into outright panic as the remaining giants charge. Knowing it won't do any good, yet still feeling obliged to try, Natalia fires another bolt at the giants.

Again, not much else to do but try and pray for a 20 right now, right? Tell my if my modifiers are off.

Attack: [roll0]
Crit confirm: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Figures. Why do I always roll my crit confirm higher than my attack?

And you changed your avatar?

Natalia begins looking for a way to quickly escape from the fort, as that seems like the only way for them to stay alive...If she has to die to make sure everyone escapes...she's...well...

Natalia sees Mithril's hands shaking. She reaches over and gives one a quick squeeze before dropping her hand back to her side. It's coupled with a small, sad smile.

Athedia
2013-02-24, 12:16 AM
Mithril stayed steady. She would not risk casting at them and missing at this range.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-24, 10:57 AM
Natalia's envious. How can Mithril stay so calm and steady? She raises her bow and prepares for another shot.

Still not sure if I have a shortbow or longbow. Unless something happens and you guys need me, see you Tuesday.

achinca
2013-02-24, 09:13 PM
Miriam starts sweating under her formerly white robe, now covered in blood stains. The injured had started to arrive and the majority of them where beyond healing. The boulders had crushed and cuts limbs.

Rikul and her had spent the time making sure the bleeding of the injured stopped and making them as comfortable as possible. Rikul was a great healer but he knew his magic was limited and he had started to decide which of the soldiers would survive maimed and who will not.

Miriam shook her head "How do you do it Rikul? How do you decide who joins the gods and who does not?" Rikul turns towards her and says one word in a sad voice "Experience".

Miriam takes it in and realizes that she does not belong in the infirmery. She should be near her friends, facing the threat of the giants with them. She says to Rikul "I am going to go where I believe I can help lower the damages of these giants. Good luck Healer"

She leaves the infirmary and joins her friends on the wall.

Athedia
2013-02-24, 11:19 PM
Mithril turned to look at Miriam. "How is the damage looking?
" She hoped the news was good, that Miriam was not needed in the infirmary, but she knew the chances of that were slim.

Cavelcade
2013-02-25, 04:18 AM
Kurt nods at Valen's words as he looks out at the boulders sailing towards them. "Mmm. It's been a long time since I've seen a fight with a giant. I hope I remember everything." He smiles when he sees Miriam step up beside them. "Good to see you here, Miriam. It's nice to have a god on our side."

Zman
2013-02-25, 09:05 AM
The Charging of the Northern Wall

Moments felt like eternity, the battle feels as if it's moving slowly, time barely moving as the Giants begin the run towards the walls. Their rear begins chucking stones at the wall while advancing slowly the five up front begin to run, needed a half minute to reach the walls...

Five Giants are at a run, figure 120' a rounds, so 480' away this round, then 360, 240, 120, 0

Ititiative

Us
Them
Allies

Cavelcade
2013-02-25, 10:01 AM
Kurt raises his bow, then, deciding to shoot before they close in too far.

"Have to defend those catapults..."

Assuming a non-masterwork longbow, as I think it was. Attack bonus +6.

Kurt's going to shoot until they're 120 feet away, then on the last one he's going to pick up his axe and prepare to fight them. So that's one at 480 (-8?), one at 360 (-6?) one at 240 (-4?) one at 120 (-2?) and then pick up axe. I think that's fine?

If my calculations are off, tell me and adjust as necessary.

[roll0] Attack
[roll1] Damage

[roll2] Attack
[roll3] Damage

[roll4] Attack
[roll5] Damage

[roll6] Attack
[roll7] Damage

His first shot drops short, then the rest go long, falling always behind where the giants are going.

Zman
2013-02-25, 10:14 AM
"Agreed." Valen utters through clenched teeth.

Valen uses the crossbow Natalia gave him, loosing four quarrels... But none find their mark, each missing the oncoming Giant by a wide margin.

Attack[roll0]
Damage[roll1]

Attack[roll2]
Damage[roll3]

Attack[roll4]
Damage[roll5]

Attack[roll6]
Damage[roll7]

achinca
2013-02-25, 11:46 AM
Miriam looks at Mithril with a sad face "Human bones cannot resist huge boulders thrown at them. The number of casualties will be high and we could easily all die here."

She smiles at Kurt "I hope St. Cuthbert will keep watching us ......."

She pulls her crossbow and starts shooting at the rushing giants, hoping for some divine luck.

Gross roll, needs to be netted by the adjustments. Bolts are considered magical weapons per VoP.

Attack 1:
[roll0]
Damages:
[roll1]

Attack 2:
[roll2]
Damages:
[roll3]

Attack 3:
[roll4]
Damages:
[roll5]

Attack 4:
[roll6]
Damages:
[roll7]

Miriam smiles a little more as she sees at least two of her bolts hit. "St. Cuthbert is watching ....."

Will see if critical in the OOC

Zman
2013-02-25, 12:45 PM
As Miriam stands, true to her faith, she can do little wrong. Three of the stones she launched all range true where her comrade's arrows and quarrels erred.

Waiting on some Mithril Magic. She could almost drop one if she uses acid arrow.

Soldiers

The soldiers volley arrows at the Giants, many sticking into their thick hides, few doing much damage.

Athedia
2013-02-25, 03:34 PM
Sorry, was away at a test and classes.

Mithril considered her crossbow, changing her mind as she remembered it's short range. Inside she raised the hands, holding an invisible longbow and mimed a shot. As she pulled back and released the "bowstring" a green arrow appeared and sped toward the giants. Mithril watched it go, the circlet on her head flowing with warmth, praying that it would hit.

Ranged Touch Attack [roll0]
Crit [roll1]
Damage [roll2]
Lasts one more round
Using Circlet (1/3 points left)

She repeated this action once more as the giants grew closer before grabbing up the wand again and activating it with a whisper of "Life"

Zman
2013-02-25, 08:41 PM
The Northern Wall

As the Giants approach the heroes of Hulbirg loose volley after volley into the lead Giant, he finally falls right before the wall, the four after him are near the wall and are preparing to scale the damaged section.

When the group turns to look for the human Rogue, she is no where to be seen.

Will update the map tonight.

achinca
2013-02-26, 09:21 AM
Miriam thanks St. Cuthbert as one giant goes down. However there are still 4 coming and that scares her. She notices that Natalia did not fire any arrow. She looks around for her but does not find her. "She is probably hiding somewhere, getting ready to strike" she says to herself.

She approaches Kurt. "It is time for these giants to fight someone of their own size, she says smiling.

She starts praying and touches Kurt with her staff. He quadruples in size.

Miriam casts Enlarge person on Kurt. Duration 5 minutes

Cavelcade
2013-02-26, 11:54 AM
Kurt frowns, shaking his head as Natalia vanishes from the wall, but too distracted to give it immediate thought. He smiles at Miriam as she blesses him, then moves to engage the giants as they try and scale the wall.

Not sure if I can move and attack - ZMan?

Cavelcade
2013-02-26, 12:43 PM
Kurt shoots one last arrow with his enlarged bow before he grabs his axe and waits for the giants to climb.

[roll0] Attack
[roll1] Crit

Enlarged bow does 2d6+1 damage on a hit.

[roll2] Damage
[roll3] Crit

Zman
2013-02-26, 01:10 PM
Heroes of Hulburg

Miriam whispers a prayer to the Cudgel, and once again Kurt towers of the landscape to deal one on one with the massive brutes.

The enlarged Kurt is unable to deal a direct blow to the Giant, the arrow fails to penetrate deeply into the Giant's thick Skin.

Valen, dropping the crossbow as he crosses his arms in a defensive posture, wrapping himself further in arcane protections before following Kurt.

Mithril continues to use her want to launch bolts of force at the Giant...

Giants

The Giants advance, one begins climbing the broken section of the wall, while the fourth engages the soldiers on the wall... slaying one of the poor souls.

Cast Shield

We are engaging G2

Soldiers will be up soon. Should post something later today for them, then we are up again. Mithril will simply deal 7 damage per turn to which ever one we are engaging.

Zman
2013-02-26, 08:23 PM
Archers of Hulburg

As one of their number is summarily crushed under the nearest Giant's weapons the rest retaliate with their bows, standing strong the men are able to capitolize on the Giant's close range, dealing measurable damage to two of the nearest Giants. But, the damage pales in comparison to the constitution of the Giants, the Northern wall is soon to be overrun.

Soldiers of Hulburg

Shouts can be heard as a half dozen of the solder prepared to defend the main gates are directed towards the Catapults. The begin running towards the Western Edge of the Northern Walls as fast as they can manage...

That puts us up at the top of the Initiative. Only G2 is likely to be engaged by us at this time, though if we provoke them we may draw the attention of one of the others.

Kurt is able to charge if need be.

Cavelcade
2013-02-27, 04:52 AM
Kurt races forward then - refusing to give into the fear he feels gnawing at his resolve, he lets his anger overtake him again, knowing the giants won't have any pity on him if he fled or cowered.

Rage, 1/9.
AC = 17: +5 for armour, +1 for dex, -1 for large, -2 for rage, +4 for fighting giants.

Charging, +2 atk, -2AC

Attacks that giant with his greataxe. Power attack -3/+6.

[roll0] Attack
[roll1] Crit

[roll2] Damage
[roll3] Crit Damage
[roll4] Crit Damage

With a satisfying crunch, Kurt's axe cuts deep into the giant's arm, restoring the manic grin to his face as he waits for the counter attack.

Zman
2013-02-27, 05:48 AM
Valen quickly moves up, with a deep utterance in Draconic he seems a beam of fire at the Giant... The beams sears a deep hole in the Giant's shoulder...

Mithril again points her want releasing yet more of its pent up energy...

Scorching Ray[roll0]
[roll1]

Mithril deals 7.

achinca
2013-02-27, 08:47 AM
Miriam prays to St Cuthbert to help her friends and allies be a little more accurate in their attack. The staff shines and all around her are a little better at hitting the giants.

Cast Bless +1 attack

Zman
2013-02-27, 02:07 PM
As Kurt lands a tremendous blow across the Giant's midsection, Valen capitalizes by sending a ray of flame over his shoulder and searing a hole into the Giant. Mithril continues to rely on her new found tool, sending tow more orbs suredly into the giant. Miriam begins a prayer to Saint Cutherbert, one which seems to empower those around her, especially the soldiers of the outpost as their arrows fly true...

Giants

The Giant struck by Kurt and Valen retaliates against Kurt with two mighty blows... both strikes hit true and nearly topple the now Giant Dwarf. Kurt is fighting the most dangerous foe he has ever encountered in combat...

One Giant finishes climbing over the ruined portion of the wall and advances upon the first catapult. A second giant begins climbing over the wall while a third launches a large stone at Mithril as return fire.... and hits the Mage squarely, nearly knocking her off the tower...

Vs Kurt
Power Attack(-5/+10)[roll0]
Damage[roll1]

Power Attack(-5/+10)[roll2]
Damage[roll3]

Vs Mithril
Power Attack[roll4]
Damage[roll5]

Zman
2013-02-27, 02:17 PM
Soldiers of the North Easter Outpost

As Kurt and the massive Giant trade blows that would shatter lesser men, the men of the outpost respond as best they can. The Half dozen footmen run to defend the catapults while the archers fire on targets of opportunity. The two crew abaondon their warmachine and attempt to fire their bows...

The archers are able to score some hits but it appears to be too little too late, the warmchines are in dire trouble....

And we are up!

Zman
2013-02-27, 02:24 PM
Valen

Seeing his comrade in dire straights, Valen does what he failed to do before, he throws himself into the fray.... Valen, might sword in hand starts a charge, leaping into the air at the Giant.... Valen takes a nasty backhanded swing from the giant as he leaps but it is too late, Valen plunges his greatsword deep into the heart of the giant tumbling off of the walls of the Outpost, nearly killing himself in the fall.

When the heap of Giant falls after him, Valen is standing there, barely alive and covered in blood.

Ahh, what the hell
Arcane Strike:2nd
Power Attack[roll0]
Damage[roll1]
Arcane Strike[roll2]

AoO
Power Attack[roll3]
Damage[roll4]

Jump[roll5]

achinca
2013-02-27, 02:32 PM
Miriam touches Kurt and whispers "St. Cuthbert, your healing powers are needed in the name of Order and Justice". His wounds heals a little.

Drop Bestow Curse and cast CSW

[roll0]

Edit: Prior to casting the spell, Miriam moves next to Kurt.

Cavelcade
2013-02-28, 10:10 AM
Kurt sees the giant advancing into the courtyard and shakes off the daze from the giant's blows, grinning in thanks to Miriam before jumping down while roaring incomprehensibly at the giant, making an intimidating display as he tries to distract him from the catapult.

Moves within 30' including the jump, which I believe means he doesn't have a Standard Action left. If he does, he uses it to ready an attack.

[roll0] Jump
[roll1] Intimidate.

Zman
2013-02-28, 01:33 PM
Mithril

Before Kurt takes a leap off of the wall onto the small building beneath int and then again onto the ground Mithril does everything in her power to aid him, she casts Haste on Kurt, Valen, Miriam, the lone soldier, and herself.

"May this hasten the defeat of your enemies."

Move
Cast Haste

Zman
2013-02-28, 01:41 PM
The Giant simply ignores Kurt's show of strength, obviously unimpressed by the Dwarf.

Giants

The first Giant take the time to raise his huge Club and begins to smash the Catapult in front of him rendering it useless in a matter of seconds...

Another finishes climbing the walls and makes his way into the courtyard and the one following him tackles climbing the semi ruined wall.

Suddenly a deep rumbling note can be heard, so loud and deep that it can only have come from the lungs of a Giant.

If you look into the distance the half dozen Giants that barraged the walls have begun moving towards the Outpost...the lead Giant is wield a large spiral horn signalling the main assault as the war-machines are incapacitated.

Zman
2013-02-28, 01:52 PM
Soldiers of Hulburg

The Soldiers of Hulburg run to throw themselves between the oncoming Giants and their precious War Machines. The crew of the damaged machine fights along side their comrades as they attempt to hold, knowing full well that the war machines are critical to softening the oncoming tide of Giants...

The archers are able to score a handful of hits on the Giants, though it pales in comparison to what is required to stop one of the great behemoths...

Zman
2013-02-28, 02:02 PM
Valen

Wasting little time, the tall human runs towards the breached wall and attempts to take the leg of the climbing Giant... managing to deal a deep Gash, but not enough to slow the Giant down.

No AoO!
Arcane Strike 2nd
Attack[roll0]
Damage[roll1]
Arcane Strike[roll2]

achinca
2013-02-28, 02:21 PM
As she hears the horn, Miriam says to herself "This does not look good. I might at your table sooner than expected, St. Cutbert".

She uses her new found speed to stay right being Kurt and activates the spell that links Kurt's health to his. The little strand on cloth on their respective fingers starts to shine.

Cavelcade
2013-02-28, 04:49 PM
Kurt ignores the horn, focusing instead on the newest arrival, taking the small step needed to bring him range to use his newly granted speed.

5' step to K83 and attack G4 with full round action.
Power attack -3/+6

Attack 1:
[roll0] Attack
[roll1] Crit

[roll2] Damage
[roll3] Crit
[roll4] Crit

Attack 2:
[roll5] Attack
[roll6] Crit

[roll7] Damage
[roll8] Crit
[roll9] Crit

His first swing goes too far too fast, his new responses astounding him, before grinning he drives a backhanded blow into the thigh of the giant.

Zman
2013-02-28, 07:46 PM
Kurt manages a solid blow against the Giant.

Giants

The Giants react with a single minded purpose, to destroy the catapults, even bypassing some foes to push towards the Warmachines...

One charges into the line of defenders protecting the second catepult.... and is summarily killed with little thought by the Giant.

Another ignores Valen pushing towards the courtyard...

Kurt's opponent splits his attention between combating Kurt and advancing upon the Warmachine.... Kurt evades the blow but the soldier near to him isnt so lucky and is killed instantly.

Vs Soldier
Attack[roll0]
Damage[roll1]

Vs Kurt
Attack[roll2]
Damage[roll3]

Vs Soldier
Attack[roll4]
Damage[roll5]

Cavelcade
2013-02-28, 11:00 PM
Kurt doesn't let up, aiming two more attacks at the same giant, showing the same single minded dedication they were.

Posting my action now, but insert it in the proper place, ZMan. Just so you can keep things going if you want.

Power Attack -3/+6

Attack 1:
[roll0] Attack
[roll1] Crit

[roll2] Damage
[roll3] Crit
[roll4] Crit

Attack 2:
[roll5] Attack
[roll6] Crit

[roll7] Damage
[roll8] Crit
[roll9] Crit

The first swing connects, leaving a deep gash, but the followup is too strong again - still unused to this extra reaction.

achinca
2013-03-01, 08:48 AM
Axara stays behind Kurt, knowing that the enlarged raging barbarian is their best if not only chance to stop the giants. She touches his again, increasing his already strong strength.

Cast Bull strength on Kurt

Zman
2013-03-02, 02:14 PM
Mithril

Mithril moves closer to the fray, slinging another two orbs from her wand....

Damage[roll0]

Valen

Valen begins climbing the ruined wall, uttering a strong incantation as fire again springs form his fingertip, a ray of white hot fire.... the scorching ray wounds the giant as he is caught by both a swing of Kurt's axe and two orbs of force from Mithril...

Climb
Cast Scorching Ray
To Hit[roll1]
Damage[roll2]

Miriam is able to make it to Kurt, whisper a prayer to Saint Cuthbert as the strength of the Giant Dwarf is increased...

Zman
2013-03-02, 02:22 PM
Giants

The Giant Engaging Kurt takes one swing at Kurt as he moves to take a swing at the Catapult.... but Kurt is able to evade the blow, the catapult is not so lucky and is nearly disabled by the strike...

Another steps to smite two soldiers... and summarily flattens both of them...

A third charges the last soldier defending the third catapult... and smashes the poor man to a paste...

Vs Kurt
Attack[roll0]
Damage[roll1]

Vs Catapult
Attack[roll2]
Damage[roll3]

Vs Soldier
Attack[roll4]
Damage[roll5]

Vs Soldier
Attack[roll6]
Damage[roll7]

Vs Soldier
Attack[roll8]
Damage[roll9]

Zman
2013-03-02, 02:42 PM
Soldiers of Hulburg

As the battle begins to look Grim, the archers do their best to fell the Giants...

The arches rally, many of their arrow shaft peppering the Giants, but alass it is not enough.

As the battle begins to looks grim and there is little hope of holding the Outpost reinforcements from Hulburg appear out of no where. In the courtyard a middle aged man in flowing robes appears discarding a piece of parchment as he does. He is surrounded by three veteran soldiers, Shieldsworn wearing finely crafted plate male and carrying huge shields. Each, once the gained their bearing charges forward, fearless against the huge Giants... each seems to land a blow, though one is nearly knocked off his feet by the approaching Giant...

Flashes of light and deep boom of explosive fire can be heard from the gates, seven old men, identical with a hunched back flowing dark robes carrying a gnarled staff appear on the Eastern wall, four younger mages accompany him and begin to spread out, loosing bolts of lightening and balls of flames which explode upon the advancing Giants severely hampering their charge...

Cavelcade
2013-03-02, 03:45 PM
Just as grim acceptance had been settling in, Kurt's spirits are uplifted, and he redoubles his attacks, letting go of any attempt to force himself to cut deeper, simply moving with the blade.

No power attack.

Attack 1:
[roll0] Attack
[roll1] Crit

[roll2] Attack
[roll3] Crit
[roll4] Crit

Attack 2:
[roll5] Attack
[roll6] Crit

[roll7] Attack
[roll8] Crit
[roll9] Crit

His calm fury directs the axe to the path of least resistance, moving up along the giant's club as he tries to attack, straight for its neck.

Zman
2013-03-02, 04:52 PM
Kurt's blow finds its mark as he topples the Giant, leaving only two in the courtyard and more approaching.

achinca
2013-03-04, 03:43 PM
Miriam stays behind Kurt, healing the powerful fighter. "St. Cuthbert, thank you for your healing magic."

Drop Delay Poison - Cast CMW

[roll0]

Zman
2013-03-04, 08:46 PM
Valen

Valen crawls off of the ruined portion of the wall and fires yet another beam of flame at the giant, his magical energies depleting... but it is enough to sear through the armor of the Giant and pierce its heart. The mighty beast falls dead...

Attack[roll0]
Damage[roll1]
1 Lvl2 left

Mithril

Mithril moves off the wall, climbing down onto the storage roof below before firing another two orbs at the last remaining Giant...

Damage[roll2]
Damage[roll3]

Zman
2013-03-04, 08:52 PM
Giants

The Giants on the horizon continue to advance, they're likely to arrive in under half a minute.

The final Giant standing switches his attention to defending himself and strikes at the closest of the heavily armored humans... but the veteran human proves a match for the Giant and the massive brute fails to land any blows...

Power Attack[roll0]
Damage[roll1]

Power Attack[roll2]
Damage[roll3]

Lucky guy!

Zman
2013-03-04, 09:00 PM
Soldiers of Hulburg

The immediate fight turns in favor of the Soldiers of Hulburg as the handful of adventurers fells another Giant. The remaining elite soldiers close in on the brute, the wounded one steps back, loading a crossbow and firing a bolt at the Giant...

The mage steps forward, uttering an incantation....suddenly an orb of crackling electricity springs forth from his hand. With another utterance he throws it at the Giant... hitting hims squarely, the Giants limbs seisuring momentarily...

The archers on the wall turn their attention to the advancing Giants...

On the Eastern Wall the Wizards can be seen casting spell after spells as the archers rain arrows on the advancing Giants...

Soldier
Attack[roll0]
Damage[roll1]
2nd
Attack[roll2]
Damage[roll3]

Soldier
Attack[roll4]
Damage[roll5]
2nd
Attack[roll6]
Damage[roll7]

Soldier
Attack[roll8]
Damage[roll9]

Mage
Attack[roll10]
Damage[roll11]
Fort Save[roll12]

Cavelcade
2013-03-05, 04:19 AM
Kurt laughs, seeing the last remaining giant in the courtyard turn to defence, refusing to let up he charges in to meet him, using the momentum to add power to his attacks.

Charge, +2/-2.
Power attack -2,+4.

[roll0] Attack
[roll1] Crit

[roll2] Attack
[roll3] Crit
[roll4] Crit

Just for a second, the giant is distracted by the soldier facing him, his eyes off Kurt long enough to give him the opening he needed.

achinca
2013-03-05, 09:01 AM
Miriam does not see a cleric as part of the reinforcement. "They brought fire power but no healing power. Interesting."

She moves next to Valen, avoiding the giant threatening area and touch the wounded shaman. "St. Cuthbert, thank you again for allowing my to channel your divine healing magic."

Drop Darkness - Cast CMW

[roll0]

Athedia
2013-03-05, 10:30 PM
Mithril eyed down the giant that was within her sight. Gesturing with her hands she sent three of the orbs surging toward the giant. She noted with pride that she could send one more than her wand, her goal of using less power to make it had worked.

Damage
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Zman
2013-03-05, 10:43 PM
Valen again draws upon his arcane energies, draining the well nearly dry... The combined might of Kurt's axe and Mithril and Valen's spells is enough to drop the Giant.

Valen looks to Miriam, "Thank you Miriam."

Scorching Ray[roll0]
Damage[roll1]

Zman
2013-03-06, 02:29 PM
Defense of the NorthEastern Outpost

As the last giant in the courtyard falls, a relative peace falls on the soldiers despite the rest of the Giants approaching the walls and the battle raging to the East.

As you look out to the East flashes can be seen, swirls of billowing fogs, and other magical effects. For each and every one of you its the most powerful display of magic you've ever witnessed.

As soon as the last Giant falls the mage in the courtyard pulls out another parchment from his bag, muttering an incantation he simply gestures towards the ruined battlements, the stone seems to liquefy and in a matter of seconds melds back into its original form, repairing the damage. The stone is smooth and seamless, better than it had been but a few minutes before.

The mage can be heard barking orders to the soldiers around him, "Keep the catapults firing, target the fog! Back to the wall, we need to repel the second wave! Buy us time with your lives if need be!"

The wounded soldier picks up the guard on his helm, quaffing a potion stored upon his belt.

You can spellcraft for spell effects if you wish.

We have a bit of time for interaction.

Athedia
2013-03-06, 02:53 PM
Mithril crouched exhausted. The idea of more arriving was to much. She was getting tired by the constant casting.

achinca
2013-03-06, 03:13 PM
Miriam takes a deep breath and looks at the wizards, trying to figure out what spell they cast.

Spellcraft check
[roll0]

She looks at the bodies of the soldiers and thinks "If we win, the mages will be celebrated as heroes but the real heroes are the unknown soldiers who gave their life today in this remote outpost to preserve Hulburg."

She looks at her 3 friends "Who needs healing?"

Athedia
2013-03-06, 03:17 PM
Mithril smiled weakly, "I might." How hurt is she, I know she was hit.

Zman
2013-03-06, 03:21 PM
"I'll live." Valen responds.

Mithril took 16 I believe.

achinca
2013-03-06, 03:53 PM
Miriam puts her hand on Mithril "Here you go Mithril. Let me channel St. Cuthbert healing magic onto you."

Drop Bless Water - Cast CLW
[roll0]

Cavelcade
2013-03-07, 07:29 AM
Kurt sighs as he lets his rage wear off, leaning down against his axe and looking around. "What's going on? Where did ye come from?"

Zman
2013-03-07, 11:35 AM
Unknown Mage

Responding to Kirts question, "We were to hold ourselves in reserve in his lordship's wardroom until we were required, in hopes the Giants would over commit. Gauging by by the commotion, it seems to be holding the Giants at bay. Their King is clever.....for a giant, but they've never had a grasp of tactics."

Pausing to survey the area, "Pardon my haste, but I was tasked with defending these war machines."

Cavelcade
2013-03-07, 11:39 AM
Kurt nods in response, glancing at his companions, then frowning at the wall, piecing together the action from when he'd let himself run on instinct. "I'm fine, Miriam. You've already healed me well...thank you, or I'd already be dead." He lightly touches the string on his finger to make sure it remains in place.

achinca
2013-03-07, 11:41 AM
Miriam nods and smiles "Just doing St. Cuthbert work ....."

She looks around, her formerly white robe covered in dust, dirt and blood.

Cavelcade
2013-03-07, 11:45 AM
"More than that..." Kurt shakes his head, unable to articulate what he wants to say, he just looks over at the walls. "...are you ready to go again?"

achinca
2013-03-07, 11:50 AM
Miriam nods back Kurt "Ready? Not really but willing ..... in the name of Order and Justice ..... and Kurt ....."

She stops and blush a little before continuing "..... it is easier to face death surrounded by true friends ....."

Zman
2013-03-07, 11:54 AM
"Truer words...." is all Valen can articulate in response to Miriam.