PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Necklace of Natural Weapons and weapon special qualities

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-09, 10:13 PM
So, pretty straightforward (I hope).

Necklace of natural weapons is from Savage Species. I want to add the shadow striking special quality from Tome of Magic (155) to the necklace to have it work on my monk's unarmed strike, and I need to know if the necklace's description bypasses the metal weapon prerequisite described in the shadow striking ability.

Seems to me that the necklace bypasses all kinds of things, serving as a proxy item, not entirely unlike some kind of augment crystal. The description of the necklace even uses what can only be described as a humourous example of a +1 throwing returning necklace of natural weapons, clearly bypassing all kinds of sense-driven RAI.

What say you? And thanks in advance.

Namfuak
2013-02-09, 11:48 PM
By RAW, a fist is not a metal "Striking Surface." This phrasing was obviously meant to imply that the thing could have a wooden handle and still take the enchantment so long as the blade was metal, but it still seems to apply here. I'd probably let you do it though, since monks need all the love they can get.

Rubik
2013-02-09, 11:53 PM
By RAW, a fist is not a metal "Striking Surface."It is if you're a warforged (or a spiker).

Namfuak
2013-02-10, 12:00 AM
It is if you're a warforged (or a spiker).

Oh, good point.

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-10, 12:07 AM
So we ignore the manner in which, by RAW, necklace of natural weapons already allows the natural weapon to be imbued with weapon qualities that shouldn't work (throwing and returning on a claw attack, or w/e)?

I may be able to get the DM to overlook this anyway. Would you say the metalline quality from MIC also doesn't work, since my fist can't very well be transmuted into metal (or if it did, there should be much broader implications)?

Actually, if I were freaking rich I could use both. Metalline would allow my unarmed strike to qualify for shadow striking.

Man, this ruleset is BEAUTIFUL.:smallbiggrin:

animewatcha
2013-02-10, 12:31 AM
Also consider the ki strike adamantine thing for being against hardness 20 or lower objects. Some camps say that monks ( at 16 ) can break stuff a la adamantine.

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-10, 07:39 PM
Also consider the ki strike adamantine thing for being against hardness 20 or lower objects. Some camps say that monks ( at 16 ) can break stuff a la adamantine.

The class feature of which you speak pretty explicitly allows the monk to bypass hardness a la adamantine. Not an ability to sniff at, though it is rather late in the game to arrive, considering overall utility and the fact that everyone can afford adamantine sidearms at 16th level.

Maybe I can convince the DM, that since my fists count as adamantine, then I should be able to make them shadow striking, which requires a metal weapon. Hmmm....