PDA

View Full Version : Looking if there is a certain PrC for this concept.

ngilop
2013-02-09, 10:16 PM
Hey all, I am just wondering if there is a Fighter/rogue hybrid Prc that is bascially the assassin minus the death attack and spells added in more in your feace beat you up bring the pain?

you know, one that is less about sneaking and more about actually being able to kill things?

im good with either 3.5 or PF or even somebody along these lines thats been homebrewed here or on teh wizards forums

Flickerdart
2013-02-09, 10:24 PM
So, uh...a gish with Sneak Attack?

Newoblivion
2013-02-09, 10:26 PM
There's the Nightsong Enforcer, and Blackguard also have sneak attack.

ArcturusV
2013-02-09, 10:27 PM
Thug variant of the Fighter?

Beyond that all I could think of is... like the Bayushi Deceiver. Which is not all that great. But it's focused on fighting in melee and using Bluff to set up attacks and such to whomp on the character with the next attack. But it's not good.

Really most of the "Fighting Rogue" PrCs I've seen are not good.

Namfuak
2013-02-09, 10:47 PM
Sorry, your post isn't clear whether or not you want spells. If you do, Daggerspell Mage has a very "roguish" feel with two daggers and sneak attack, but gets 9/10 casting and is focused on channeling spells through daggers.

If you mean no casting, Dread Commando from Heroes of Battle has sudden strike, which is like sneak attack but isn't triggered by flanking, and gets full BAB and d8 hit die (only 5 levels though). Dark Hunter gets 1d6 sneak attack at 3rd level, but no other sneak attack.

As a general build, Rogue/Swashbuckler with daring outlaw might be kind of what you are looking for, though besides swordsage dips there isn't much you would do besides take a couple rogue levels (3 I think?) and then take swashbuckler levels.

ngilop
2013-02-09, 10:51 PM
SOrry forgot to put in some snetance structure.

I do not want spells.

basically I would like something that gets a full BAB, sneak attack like every 3rd level, d8 HD, and some nifty but not overpwoering abilities tosased in.

again they can be published or homebrewed.

Gotterdammerung
2013-02-09, 10:54 PM

I do not want spells.

basically I would like something that gets a full BAB, sneak attack like every 3rd level, d8 HD, and some nifty but not overpwoering abilities tosased in.

Use the fighter variant from unearthed arcana.

Its basically the fighter base class but with sneak attack at every odd lvl instead of fighter bonus feats.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm

Here is the SRD page the variant is at the very very bottom under "Fighter"

avr
2013-02-09, 10:55 PM
You might say that the ranger base class is an attempt at this. You'd need some way to apply favored enemy more generally, I'm sure PF will have spells or archetypes to assist.

ksbsnowowl
2013-02-09, 11:08 PM
Sneak Attack Fighter (Unearthed Arcana, and the SRD).

Dread Commando (Heroes of Battle) - gains sudden strike.

Flickerdart
2013-02-09, 11:08 PM
Ignore Ranger, acquire Swift Hunter.

Scout 4/Ranger 16 (Scout 3/Ranger17 also valid, you lose an early bonus feat but gain HiPS at 20th). Take Swift Hunter, now you have full Skirmish. Use something like Travel Devotion or Pounce (more dips? why not! Cleric 1 or Barbarian 1 is enough) to meet the "move 10 feet" requirement for Skirmish. Half the value of SA, but you get up to +5 to AC, plus Swift Hunter makes it work against things that are immune to crits.

If you really want Sneak Attack, Daring Outlaw lets you stack Rogue and Swashbuckler. Rogue 3/Swashbuckler 17 (or Rogue 4/Swash 16 if you found something nice to trade Uncanny Dodge for) works. You get 19/20 BAB (same as the Swift Hunter build) and almost all d10 HD, but Swashbuckler class features are lousy. You're better off with the Swift Hunter. This is still better than SA Fighter because you at least get something in addition to the Sneak Attack.

Ernir
2013-02-09, 11:14 PM

I do not want spells.

You are describing mechanical statistics you want, but rather generic ones. Are you sure you are not looking to realize a certain concept that you believe would be best described by something along the lines of a more fighting-heavy Rogue chassis?

I'd point you towards a Swordsage.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-02-09, 11:16 PM
Thug Fighter (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#fighterVariantThug) with Sneak Attack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#fighter), and trade Ride for Tumble as a class skill (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a). Use the Zhentarim Soldier (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060327a) substitution levels, and get free class features (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20061013a). You'll still be able to take feats like Weapon Specialization and Melee Weapon Mastery since you'll still be taking levels of Fighter.

JaronK
2013-02-09, 11:29 PM
Rokugan Ninja gives full BAB and Rogue Sneak Attack, plus a few fun abilities.

Also, Swordsage doesn't give full BAB, but it gives lots of cool abilities and you can get decent sneak attack like abilities.

JaronK

rot42
2013-02-09, 11:40 PM
Invisible Blade (CW 45) if you can talk your DM into rationalizing the prerequisites.

Dread Fang of Lolth (DotU 76) if you are Drow or can refluff.

Scorpion Wraith (SoX 130). Requires Wild Empathy, which you can pick up from Ranger (along with free TWF) or Totemist (extra attacks are golden for a sneak attacker, but if that does not fit your concept you can select skill boosting melds and a little fire breathing or teleportation or something).

Surreal's Lists of Stuff (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1412) probably has more.

Hand_of_Vecna
2013-02-09, 11:56 PM
Ya, Swordsage.

Some Sneak Attack via stance always in the same stance let's you get dex to damage in addition to strength for a feat. 6+int skills from a strong list, and maneuvers can be as spell like or as in your face beat em up as you want or they can give you supernatural stealthy ninja powers.

Santra
2013-02-10, 01:19 AM
If you are looking for PrC's that are fighter/rogue combos might I suggest Dread Pirate from Complete Adventurer? It has full BAB and advances sneak attack. It also has a lot of neat flavor to it (though it requires you to own a ship).

Ronin from Complete Warrior also is full bab and advances sneak attack. It is more flavored for ex-samurai however.

If you are playing a gnome or if your DM will wave that Blade Bravo from Races of Stone is a full BAB prc with some decent bonuses. However it only increases sneak attack by 2d6 over 10 levels.

Other than that Blackguard is your best bet. 3d6 sneak attack over 10 levels with some divine spellcasting and a mount/pet/guardian.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-02-10, 02:19 AM
Don't forget about the Ghost-faced Killer! Full BAB, +3d6 Sudden Strike, as well as ghost step (ethereal!) and perma-see invisibilty (su).

Santra
2013-02-10, 02:42 AM
Also forgot Dread Commando from Heroes of Battle. Full BAB 5 level class that gives +3d6 sneak attack or sudden strike damage. You and allies within 30 feet gain an initiative bonus equal to your Dread Commando level. The armor check penalty of armor is dropped by 4 and you don't receive a penalty on hide or move silently when moving your normal speed (and only -10 while running or charging)

Talionis
2013-02-10, 11:55 AM
For a different idea, Paladin 4/ Crusader 1/ Ruby Knight Vindicator 10

You'll have some terrible Paladin spells, but not really be a caster at all. Ruby Knight advances Crusader, but allows Shadow Hand maneuver progression. The back story and way the RKV plays is very assassin that sneaks up on you, but then attacks you straight forward.

ngilop
2013-02-10, 12:46 PM
WOO! Ghost faced killer modified and dread commando is what I was looking for thanks a lot!

now what exctly IS the difference between sneak attack and sudden strike besides the name?

Flickerdart
2013-02-10, 01:05 PM
WOO! Ghost faced killer modified and dread commando is what I was looking for thanks a lot!

now what exctly IS the difference between sneak attack and sudden strike besides the name?
Sudden Strike doesn't activate when you're merely flanking. So it's strictly worse.

Fable Wright
2013-02-10, 02:43 PM
If I recall correctly, there were some Assassin variants in Dragon #312, and one of them was a melee-enforcer type Assassin focused on visceral deaths and sending a message. That might work for your purposes.

ArcturusV
2013-02-10, 04:18 PM
Though Sudden Strike counts as Sneak Attack for the sake of prerequisites. So there's that. Any PrCs requiring Sneak Attack Dice can be gained by Sudden Strike, feats, etc.

ngilop
2013-02-10, 09:49 PM
K i posted my own version of a more melee focused assassin here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14688739#post14688739)

while the core concept fo the GFK and the DC were indeed awesome!

i did not want the supernatural focus the GFK had as I wanted my assassin to be more mundane

and I see assassins as more loners so the teamwork focus the DC has is a bit off kilter from what I want.

also what book is the SoX?

Juntao112
2013-02-10, 09:51 PM
Dishonorable Dread Pirate?

Kuulvheysoon
2013-02-10, 10:05 PM
K i posted my own version of a more melee focused assassin here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14688739#post14688739)

while the core concept fo the GFK and the DC were indeed awesome!

i did not want the supernatural focus the GFK had as I wanted my assassin to be more mundane

and I see assassins as more loners so the teamwork focus the DC has is a bit off kilter from what I want.

also what book is the SoX?

Secrets of Xen'drik, an Eberron sourcebook. Also the home of the fantastic Landforged Walker, IIRC

ksbsnowowl
2013-02-10, 11:08 PM
Secrets of Xen'drik, an Eberron sourcebook. Also the home of the fantastic Landforged Walker, IIRC
As well as the tasty, tasty Primordial Giant template.