PDA

View Full Version : Runes of the Durzites [3.P Rune Circles](PEACH)

Milo v3
2013-02-10, 12:54 AM
These are Rune Circles (RoS) created by the Durzites in my setting, who are basically a Manapunk society. Currently I've posted 15 of the 90 planned Rune Circles.

Note: All the circles created in this thread will only use OGL content (aside from the Rune Circles themselves of course).

Tier 5
Apprentice Field: This circle of runes covers a 10 ft. radius. Any objects placed on the surface of the circle raise 5 ft. into the air. Objects raised by this effect drift away from people, making them harder to grab (Possessing AC as if it was an animated object). As a move-action, an individual within the circle can make a Spellcraft check (DC 10), success moves a lifted object of their choice to hands and ends the rune circles control over the object. This doesn't function on objects which weigh more than 5 lb.

Apprentice Fields are used in schools to train mages and test their talents. The example presented here is the most basic Apprentice Field.

Faint Transmutation; CL 1st; Craft Rune Circle, Mage Hand; Price 1000gp.

Cipher Runes: This circle of runes covers a 5 ft. square. Any magical inscriptions on objects held by an individual in the circle become legible, as if affected by Read Magic.

Cipher Runes are generally used in studies and schools to decipher scrolls and spellbooks. Merchants also utilise Cipher Runes to identify magical objects and determine their value.

Faint Divination; CL 1st; Craft Rune Circle, Read Magic; Price 500 gp.

Circle of Repair: This circle of runes covers a 5 ft. square. Objects weighing of up to 1 lb. are immediately repaired as if affected by a Mending spell when they are placed on the surface of a circle of repair.

Circles of Repair are common in households as they can be used to restore nearly all forms of minor damage. Craftsmen are known place their creations in these in order to make sure they are in working order before they are sold.

Faint Transmutation; CL 1st; Craft Rune Circle, Mending; Price 2000 gp.

Deathburn Circle: This circle of runes covers a 10 ft. radius. Any undead who end their turn in a Deathburn circle are dealt 1d6 points of damage.

Deathburn circles are placed in the Necromancy departments of schools to stop uncontrolled or sentient undead from killing students. This is an annoyingly regular occurance.

Faint Necromancy; CL 1st; Craft Rune Circle, Disrupt Undead; Price 1000 gp.

Gemwatch Circle: This circle of runes covers a 10 ft. radius. Any gem worn by someone in the circle immediately sheds bright light in a 20-foot radius. The colouration of the light is the same as the gem it emanating from. If an individual is wearing two or more types of gems, this circle doesn't affect them.

In Durzite society, each citizen is granted a gem which signifies their class and rank in the city. Gemwatch Circles are used to quickly show who resides in which class.

Faint Evocation; CL 1st; Craft Rune Circle, Light; Price 375 gp.

Golem Repair Runes: This circle of runes covers a 20 ft. radius. Any constructs that stand in the circle repair 1 hit point at the end of their turn.

Golem Repair Runes are rather common because of their cheap cost, but those who use more expensive or combat focused constructs purchase the more Expensive Repair Runes.

Faint Transmutation; CL 1st; Craft Rune Circle, Repair Minor Damage; Price 2000 gp.

Pristine Circle: This circle of runes covers a 10 ft. radius. Any Durzite who stands in the circle are immediately cleaned. Also, while in the circle the individual cannot be dirtied.

A household rune circle, those who lack Pristine Circle are seen as sick individuals in.

Faint Universal; CL 1st; Craft Rune Circle, Prestidigitation; Price 167 gp.

Ring of Amplification: This circle of runes covers only a 5 ft. square. The voice of an individual who stands in the circle produces four times as much noise as it normally would. This doesn't modify any sonic damage or similiar effects as it is an illusion.

Rings of Amplification are used to make the voices of leaders easier to hear at a distance. They are often used in entertainment, politics, and education.

Faint illusion; CL 1st; Craft Rune Circle, Ghost Sound; Price 500 gp.

Ring of Chilling: This circle of runes covers a 5 ft. square. Any object placed on the surface of the circle is chilled.

A household rune circle used to cool food and water.

Faint Universal; CL 1st; Craft Rune Circle, Prestidigitation; Price 125 gp.

Ring of Warmth: This circle of runes covers a 5 ft. square. Any object placed on the surface of the circle is warmed.

A household rune circle used to warm food and water.

Faint Universal; CL 1st; Craft Rune Circle, Prestidigitation; Price 125 gp.

Runes of the Poisoned Soldier: This circle of runes covers a 10 ft. radius. Any poisoned creature which stands within the circle begins to faintly glow green. Individuals familiar with this rune circle can make a Wisdom or Craft (Alchemy) check to identify the type of poison a creature within the circle is afflicted with.

Runes of the Poisoned Soldier are mainly used in medical facilities to identify poisoned patients. These circles are also found inside some guard posts to determine when a person is intoxicated.

Faint Divination; CL 1st; Craft Rune Circle, Detect Poison; Price 1,000 gp.

Signet Runes: This circle of runes covers a 5 ft. square. Constructs and Objects gain a rune on its surface as if affected by an Arcane Mark spell when they are placed on the surface of Signet Runes. Which rune is imprinted on the object is chosen when the Signet Rune is created.

Signet Runes are used primarily by guards and artisans (including Golem Crafters). Guards place these on manacles to show the rank of criminal an individual is and where they should be placed in the prison. Artisans utilise these runes as proof that they created the construct or object.

Faint Universal; CL 1st; Craft Rune Circle, Arcane Mark; Price 125 gp.

Torchlight Runes: This circle of runes possesses a diameter of 40 ft. Whenever a sentient creature enters the circle, an orb of blue light forms inside the circle. Each orb casts light as a torch and it's movement and location is controlled by the individual which "created" it, but it must remain within range of the rune circle.

Used by a large portion of the Durzite population, Torchlight Runes have many uses. Sometimes they are used for reading lights, others apply them in basements. Paranoid individuals and guards often place these to detect intruders.

Faint Evocation; CL 1st; Craft Rune Circle, Dancing Lights; Price 500 gp.

Tier 4
Guardian Circle: This circle of runes covers a 20 ft. radius. Any Durzite who stand within a Guardian Circle are surrounded with a field of protective force. The field also provides a +4 shield bonus to AC. This bonus applies against incorporeal touch attacks, since it is a force effect.

Guardian Circles are placed in areas anticipanting combat, such as defensive positions and arena's. They are also placed inside schools, to protect against incorporeal undead.

Faint Abjuration; CL 1st; Craft Rune Circle, Shield; Price 1400 gp.

Ring of Endurance: This circle of runes covers a 20 ft. radius. Rings of endurance allow those within to survive in harsh conditions, suffering no harm from being in a hot or cold environment (They can exist comfortably in conditions between –50 and 140 degrees Fahrenheit without having to make Fortitude saves). The creature’s equipment is likewise protected.

Rings of Endurance are generally placed in areas that contain magma, such as durzite forges. This protects them from the harm heat while they work. They are also placed in outposts which lie in the Underdark Tundras.

Faint Abjuration; CL 1st; Craft Rune Circle, Endure Elements; Price 500 gp.

Runes of Alarm: This circle of runes covers a 20 ft. radius. Runes of Alarm sounds a audible alarm each time a creature of Tiny or larger size enters the warded area or touches it. This produces the sound of a hand bell, and anyone within 60 feet of the warded area can hear it clearly. Reduce the distance by 10 feet for each interposing closed door and by 20 feet for each substantial interposing wall. In quiet conditions, the ringing can be heard faintly as far as 180 feet away. The sound lasts for 1 round. Creatures within a silence spell cannot hear the ringing. Ethereal or astral creatures do not trigger the alarm.

A creature that speaks the password (determined at the time of creation) does not set off the alarm.

Runes of Alarm are placed in homes and banks to stop trespassers. They are also rarely positioned in prohibited areas (most of which are caused by Kourman and Yrthak).

Faint Abjuration; CL 1st; Craft Rune Circle, Alarm; Price 2000 gp.

Deviston
2013-02-10, 08:27 AM
I feel... as if I suddenly became blind when I bought this book, because I didn't even think about little applications such as this and passed the Rune Cicle mechanic up.

Very nicely done, looks like you have given magitechnology to the world.

EDIT: Also, do you mind if I add this to my Runic Compendium?

Milo v3
2013-02-10, 03:45 PM
Very nicely done, looks like you have given magitechnology to the world.

EDIT: Also, do you mind if I add this to my Runic Compendium?

Thanks, and no I don't mind.

Milo v3
2013-02-10, 07:50 PM
I just realised something:
Rune Circles of Teleportation, you could only travel to other rune circles of teleportation of course, but it would be really cheap compared to Teleportation Circles.

Should I increase the cost when I stat it up, keep the cost normal, or simply not add it?

Deviston
2013-02-19, 08:32 PM
I forget, are they permenant "magic items" or do they discharge after use?

Milo v3
2013-02-19, 08:38 PM
I forget, are they permenant "magic items" or do they discharge after use?

Permanent, unless you design them to have a limited number of charges.

Deviston
2013-02-19, 09:34 PM
If it's point to point I would say the price is fine.