PDA

View Full Version : Very big monsters attacks

Newoblivion
2013-02-10, 06:15 AM
Are there any rules that make fighting big monsters more logical?

I mean. You fight a colossal dragon. How come his attack doesn't count as splash weapon and just hit anyone in a radius? It's like fighting ants and trying to hit a single ant each time rather than smash your hand on the entire line of ants.

It just doesn't make any sense that a big monster won't hit, even accidently, someone who stands beside you. The creature's weapon is most likely bigger than the area you are standing at.

Feralventas
2013-02-10, 06:40 AM
Savage Species has feats for things like smashing down in AOE's, rushing through an area and hitting all in it, or even just blowing smaller targets away.

Eldariel
2013-02-10, 06:48 AM
I'm houseruling such. Bigger things can just use their bulk. And honestly, something colossal can just try to step on a medium thing just fine and crush them if it hits. While pinning them. And of course, it's much more fatal to hit something in the throat than in the toe.

Of course, accounting for such mostly hurts the people already hurting the worst; martial melee types. Then again, full attacking a Dragon's face can carry some bonuses so I guess it evens out. The important part is that it feels more awesome that way so in my books it's worth it.

Vaz
2013-02-10, 06:55 AM
Don't Dragons have a crush attack which doss exactly that?

Eldariel
2013-02-10, 07:08 AM

Aye, but it's quite weak, and for some ridiculous reason e.g. Giants or the Tarrasque can't use it (though of course Overrun exists but it's just bad too). But yeah, the damage is just really low compared to their full attack routines and while it does have pin (as should be bloody obvious), it's just meh. The damage category should be 2-3 higher for it to really be a reasonable alternative.

Newoblivion
2013-02-10, 07:16 AM

Maybe, but a titan, cloud giant, tarrasque, etc.' don't.

A cloud giant with a great sword should hit at list 5 medium targets with a single swing. And I am not talking about cleave. Not to mention that such a strike might knock the targets off. How can a fighter get hit buy tarrasque's claw and stay in his square? He should fly off few squares from the sheer strength of the monster's strike.

The Dark Fiddler
2013-02-10, 07:40 AM
There's a rule or two to that effect in Mutants and Masterminds (2e, maybe 1e and 3e too?) that you might be able to steal. You'll need to adjust them a bit, since they work with the Toughness save and condition track of M&M rather than the HP of D&D, but they should be workable.

Newoblivion
2013-02-10, 08:04 AM
There's a rule or two to that effect in Mutants and Masterminds (2e, maybe 1e and 3e too?) that you might be able to steal. You'll need to adjust them a bit, since they work with the Toughness save and condition track of M&M rather than the HP of D&D, but they should be workable.

Well. In my group I ruled that if such creature hits, it will bull rush you without moving or pin you down (though he still need to make the check). Also, if others are standing adjacent to you they need to make a reflex save (DC 10 + 2/creature's HD + str) or receive half the damage the creature did to the primary target.

nedz
2013-02-10, 08:42 AM
You can always give them levels in Warhulk.

Eldariel
2013-02-10, 08:50 AM
You can always give them levels in Warhulk.

Aye, but they really shouldn't need to be trained to do such. Like, I don't need training to sweep a fly aside or step on an ant.

Lapak
2013-02-10, 09:34 AM
You'd have to fiddle with it somewhat for 3e, since he's working in a moderately-heavily-modified AD&D, but the basic idea is a sound one: Alexis over at Tao of D&D (http://tao-dnd.blogspot.com/2010/01/whatever-makes-dragon-indestructible.html) has a rule whereby monsters that have enough mass have a 50% chance of doing automatic damage to each opponent within 5 feet (or that they move within 5 feet of) just due to the amount of meat and bone moving around. An ongoing damage aura, basically, on top of whatever specific attacks they have. The dragon that brushes by you in passing still hurts you, because it's like getting clipped by a car while walking in the street.