PDA

View Full Version : It all starts in a tavern...wait. No, it doesn't.

Pages : [1] 2 3

IamL
2013-02-10, 09:48 AM
This is a thread for my 3.5 edition PBP game. So far, I have invitation responses impending, so I'm just waiting for them. In the meantime, I thought that I would start a thread for it.

Edit: Here's the link to the OOC thread:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14777916#post14777916

IamL
2013-02-10, 09:53 AM
Oh, yeah: If you want to join, just PM me. All characters start at first level, and character creation will be on-thread.

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-10, 11:47 PM
Hello,
I am an experienced player of irl games and I am willing to play any party role that is unfilled by others, or to make a fairly self-sufficient character. No experience with PbP, but I am a good writer and I check the forum daily or more, so I am sure I can learn the ropes quickly.

Any houserules, rules variants or other info that I should be aware of as I start coming up with character concepts? Any other introductory info about the premise of the campaign or relevant stuff for your setting (magic level, role of gods, default/custom cosmology, etc) that you think I should be aware of?

Thanks, and I look forward to some fun.

IamL
2013-02-11, 07:55 AM
I have only one houserule: Arcane and divine ley lines.

An arcane ley line is a natural force, where arcane power naturally flows. Any arcane caster that casts a spell near a ley line gets a +1, +2, or +3 to all numerical effects of a spell he or she casts, depending on the strength of the ley line. (This includes attack rolls, save DC's, damage rolls, etc.) This amount is not changed by an empowered spell. However, casting a divine spell near an arcane ley line has a negative impact on the spell: any divine spell cast near an arcane ley line takes a -1, -2, or -3, depending on the strength of the arcane ley line.

Divine ley lines are the same thing, but carry a bonus for divine power, and carry a penalty for arcane power.

Yas392
2013-02-11, 05:26 PM
What's up. I hope it's okay if I leave my character completely simple.

IamL
2013-02-11, 06:38 PM
Simple is fine, and complicated is fine.

IamL
2013-02-12, 02:09 PM
Character creation for this campaign should start now.

Yas392
2013-02-12, 07:26 PM
Wait, shouldn't this be in the recruitment place? I was like confused why there's so little responses until I saw the thread was held in the in Character side of the forum. Or maybe is it just to handpick specific players?

IamL
2013-02-12, 08:19 PM
No, 'cuz this is going to be the main thread for the campaign. I just figured I'd get it up and posted first. Also, yes, I tend to handpick people who can fit into my style of DM-ing.

Yas392
2013-02-13, 04:05 PM
Rolling for stats..

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

EDIT: Neat :smallbiggrin: Forgot to roll 1 more time.

IamL
2013-02-13, 08:55 PM
That's a great roll!

Yas392
2013-02-14, 04:43 PM
Waiting for other people...

IamL
2013-02-15, 09:57 AM
Try to recruit some of your friends because I've kind of struck out (most of mine are busy or have screwed-up computers.) All characters must be finished creation by February 25th, and the game will start February 26th.

IamL
2013-02-15, 07:27 PM
Well, I recruited one (maybe 2) more people. So we only have 1 or 2 to go before we reach average party size.

Yas392
2013-02-15, 08:06 PM
Or maybe post a separate thread and link it to this one specifying who you're trying to recruit?:smallamused:

Yas392
2013-02-15, 08:59 PM
Character Sheet coming..

Edit: Btw, flaws or no flaws?

IamL
2013-02-15, 10:10 PM
Flaws, but not to the point of cheese.

Yas392
2013-02-15, 10:19 PM
1 flaw? That's fine with me.

IamL
2013-02-17, 09:44 PM
Yeah...1 or 2 flaws.

Yas392
2013-02-17, 10:39 PM
I also hope you don't mind me trying the thaumurai from this page. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253629)

IamL
2013-02-18, 06:32 PM
One restriction, though: Only light armor.

Yas392
2013-02-18, 06:48 PM
But I am going with the Vow Of Poverty Fix. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140428) :smalltongue::smalltongue:

IamL
2013-02-21, 01:28 PM
Okay. That works.

IamL
2013-02-25, 12:44 PM
Also: I'm using the "This Old Rule" ruling for Diplomacy.

Yas392
2013-02-25, 05:53 PM
Is there an OOC thread?

IamL
2013-02-25, 07:04 PM
Unfortunately, no.

Yas392
2013-02-25, 07:19 PM
Unfortunately, no.

Well, I made one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14777916#post14777916) here.

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-25, 11:12 PM
Very sorry about the delay, lemme see here. Character generation should go here, I guess. On second thoughts, let me yammer on about stuff on the other thread. Currently I am looking at making a halfling factotum. The rules about divine and arcane ley lines are going to make some kind of arcane/divine concept very appealing.

Would the ley lines affect the factotum's SLAs from arcane dilettante class feature?

Yas392
2013-02-25, 11:29 PM
Yeah, I still need DM to clear up whether my Infuse would be affect like a divine spell as well due to its nature of being SLA.

EDIT: Hmm, I think it might effect SLA. DM might change it to fit his ruling.

IamL
2013-02-26, 10:29 AM
It counts as a divine spell.

IamL
2013-02-26, 11:36 AM
Note: For Yas392 only: As a noble, you recall mention of Dusgard as a prosperous mining settlement, so, when you leave your family's estate, this is where you head, hoping for some kind of employment. The city is laid out in a compact way, which one would expect for a city built on a ledge on the world's fifth highest mountain. The road is treacherous, but after some haggling over the exact value of renting a mountain goat, you make your way into the heart of the city. Make a Gather Information check.

Yas392
2013-02-26, 03:05 PM
Edge

As he arrives at the city, maneuvering the goat that he rented around, he could still hear the clanking of the picks coming from a distance.

The settlement is indeed foreign to me. I have read and heard of it but this is the first time I see it with my very own eyes.

Glancing around, there are people walking by and he stops by to ask them.

"Hello there, could you fellow men give me directions around the city? I am fairly new to this land."

This degree of "noise" could be the best place to lose them and start over. No matter what eyes, how sharp they are, Edge Malginz would be dead to them and in place, a nobody no one could ever recognize. Hah, just try to catch me now, watchers. I will never join you.

Gather Information - [roll0] (21)

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-26, 03:14 PM
Alright, I am going to play a halfling rogue.

I am looking for a balanced Athasian halfling w/out level adjustment...when I converted the race to 3e, I just went with the flavor of 2e, normal halfling but wiser and with some xenophobic tendencies. Basically -2 str, +2 dex, +2 wis, -2 cha.

The only official stuff I can find for them is moronic...adds in some psionics, a scaling athletics bonus, +2 dex, +2 wis, all for a +1 LA (seems like WotC version gave all dark sun races a +1 or higher LA).

If you let me go with the balanced stats, +0 LA version, it basically is normal halfling with those stat adjustments. I thought there was a homebrew out there that did the same thing. :smallannoyed:

The flavor I am going for is just member of a feral halfling tribe that was driven out of its forest homeland and into nearby human settlements.

Default will just be to go with normal halfling. I'll keep looking for the homebrew. I expect to be done with the character sheet this evening.

Yas392
2013-02-26, 03:17 PM
Alright, I am going to play a halfling rogue. I am looking for a balanced Athasian halfling w/out level adjustment...when I converted the race to 3e, I just went with the flavor of 2e, normal halfling but wiser and with some xenophobic tendencies. Basically -2 str, +2 dex, +2 wis, -2 cha.

The only official stuff I can find for them is moronic...adds in some psionics, a scaling athletics bonus, +2 dex, +2 wis, all for a +1 LA (seems like WotC version gave all dark sun races a +1 or higher LA).

If you let me go with the balanced stats, +0 LA version, it basically is normal halfling with those stat adjustments. I thought there was a homebrew out there that did the same thing. :smallannoyed:

The flavor I am going for is just member of a feral halfling tribe that was driven out of its forest homeland and into nearby human settlements.

Default will just be to go with normal halfling. I'll keep looking for the homebrew. I expect to be done with the character sheet this evening.

Umm, I was roleplaying here you know. :smalltongue:

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-26, 03:49 PM
Character Generation:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Yas392
2013-02-26, 03:58 PM
Good rolls. :smallbiggrin:

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-26, 06:33 PM
Character almost complete. Banelle Clawscry (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=524137).

I need to know about the suggested halfling subrace, yes or no to the different ability adjustments (-2 str, +2 dex, +2 wis, -2 cha). The current sheet has them included, but I can redact them with a couple keystrokes. Everything else should be ready to go.

Yas392
2013-02-26, 06:49 PM
Character almost complete. Banelle Clawscry (http://http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=524137).

I need to know about the suggested halfling subrace, yes or no to the different ability adjustments (-2 str, +2 dex, +2 wis, -2 cha). The current sheet has them included, but I can redact them with a couple keystrokes. Everything else should be ready to go.

Link is broken or might not be public.

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-26, 06:57 PM
It should work now. Banelle Clawscry (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=524137).

Let's see....:smallbiggrin:

Yas392
2013-02-26, 07:25 PM
It should work now. Banelle Clawscry (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=524137).

Let's see....:smallbiggrin:

Not public!:smallannoyed:

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-26, 07:49 PM
Would be funny if it were intentionaaaaaaallll.....:smalltongue:

Try now?

Yas392
2013-02-26, 07:59 PM
Would be funny if it were intentionaaaaaaallll.....:smalltongue:

Try now?

Cool.:smallsmile:

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-26, 08:30 PM
Officially ready to go, as far as I know.

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-26, 09:42 PM
Banelle

"A mining settlement," Banelle mused to himself.

The cool breeze sends a primal thrill through him; even in this foreign landscape, his tribal heritage lurks ever at the back of his mind, and he finds himself subconsciously looking around for tree...buildings that might provide cover and shelter. He shifts his pack to the other shoulder.

Might be a good place to hide out, lay low for a while. May have picked a few too many locks and pockets in the last town. In any case, a change of scenery is always a good idea...can't tell just how far the networks of those slavers might reach.

Yawning, he looks around to find the best way to get into the city without attracting notice.

"Hmm, somewhere to work, perhaps..."

The tall people can be slightly disconcerting, but the popular occupation promises newly made fortunes, heavy purses, and people looking to celebrate.

Knowledge(local) [roll0]

IamL
2013-02-27, 07:50 AM
For Yas392:
One of the men, pick in one hand and his lunch in another, says,
"There's a local market every day. You'll want to head there first if you're looking for supplies. It's just around the corner from the alchemist's house. If you're looking for a job, you'll have to wait 'till Saturday, when a much larger market is held. You'll want to head towards the mining stall and ask for Gortek. He's a bit gruff, but he knows a good soul from a bad one. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to eat my lunch.

IamL
2013-02-27, 09:12 AM
For Phelix-Mu:
You recall more than you even remember learning about this settlement. You know that it's a small but relatively well-off town, comprised of mainly dwarves, gnomes, and humans. Other races aren't prominent, but there are three or four halflings and one or two of a few other assorted races. There's a small temple to Moradin, which one would expect for a mining settlement that depends on the strength of their stonework to survive. There is a large market held here every Saturday.

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-27, 01:15 PM
Banelle

"Sounds like the Market on Saturday might be a good day to figure out who is who in the business scene. Until then, take it easy, blend in."

More like try to get some sleep. The mountain climb made for some good exercise, though, and it would be wise to follow a similar routine. Sounds like setting up a daytime pattern at the local inn, then sneaking out in the evening, before the darkness sets in and all the interesting people head to bed.

Dwarves, though. Sheesh, probably gonna have to lay off the pocket inspections. Angry dwarves...does that qualify as ancestral vengeance? Might as well be.

He surveys his sleight frame.

Not enough of me here to make angry dwarves an acceptable outcome. Some of their mining implements probably weight more than I.

On the other hand, I have a chance of outrunning a dwarf....

He looks for a low-cost option for temporary lodgings, having enough coin to support a couple days of taking it easy during the day. Somewhere along the main road into town might be nice. He actively is keeping his eyes peeled for any of the halflings that he knows might be active in the town, whether running wagon stalls or masquerading as children, or any of the other things that halflings often do when they find themselves soundly in the minority.

Spot
1d20+7
My dice rolling skills seem to have imploded overnight...I tried this several times, and even tried the same thing on the dice roller thread, where it worked. In any case, it probably isn't a single Spot check.
Need to lose this pack, too, methinks, and perhaps a change of clothes to go over the armour. Looking like a halfling adventurer is not conducive to the roguecraft that tends to be practiced in a small town. Definitely need a room.

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-27, 01:28 PM
Dice roller for Spot
Spot [roll0]

IamL
2013-02-27, 01:35 PM
ooh... I probably would have taken 10 there. Hopefully you'll open your eyes next time you try to take a look around.

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-27, 01:41 PM
*scrubbed*

Yas392
2013-02-27, 04:08 PM
And this would probably be a good time for me to reread the difference between take 10 and take 20. My players, for reasons that always escape me, never do either of these, giving me no reason to know this rule by heart.

It would have been wise, but my character isn't in a big hurry, so now is a good time to learn this lesson, whilst in a (hopefully) low-pressure situation.

Funny, my role on the dice roller thread wasn't half as bad, more average. I did learn that you can't edit a post to add a dice roll. Yay, learning!

Yeah. :smallfrown:

EDIT:Shouldn't we place the rp in another thread, this seems so disorganize lol.

Yas392
2013-02-27, 09:34 PM
Edge

Given the information provided, he smirks and pats the miner on his back before going his way.

"Thanks, mate. Enjoy your lunch, its in season."

Saturday is still far, why not take some time to get to know everyone in town? But first, restock then chatter.

After getting some supplies, he loosens himself for the rest of the day; going around the settlement to either chat with people or gather sources of rumors, at the same time keeping an eye out for danger, specifically his proclaimed "Watchers."

Spot - [roll0] (19)
Listen - [roll1] (8)
Gather Information - [roll2] (10)
Search - [roll4]

IamL
2013-02-28, 10:41 AM
for Yas392:
You see a building with a sign that reads "City Hall." You notice a halfling clad in light leather armor bumbling around town, but he doesn't appear very malicious. You notice a handful of city guards watching you. As soon as they notice you noticed them, however, they move away. Make a Sense Motive check.

For Phelix-Mu:
You blunder and bumble your way around town, still tired from the climb up, and don't find anything of much value. You do, however, notice the large building that is city hall.

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-28, 02:10 PM
Banelle

"Must be more bushed that I thought," mused Banelle.

He picks a spot close to City Hall, maybe in an alleyway, somewhere out of sight, and takes ten minutes to catch his breath and relax.

After said duration, he moves back into the street, taking his time, breathing slowly and deeply, and thinking out his next move.

"Hmm," logic wasn't his strong suit, but a common sense approach should work.

Now, if I put my back to City Hall's main entrance, and face the town, then I'll go up and down the main street, noting all the businesses on the right hand side, then crossing the street and noting all the business on the left. I'm looking for an inn or hostel of some kind, firstly, but I'll also make note of any social gathering places/bars/restaurants that I might want to check into later. Finally, other short people. The halflings are probably my best bet for job prospects, but gnomes may also prove more fruitful territory than the Tall Folk.

"I'm in no hurry, so I'll just look around until I find what I'm looking for, or something else interesting."

He wanders around town, this time taking time to drink in the sights, breathe the fresh air. He also keeps his ears peeled for anything interesting that might be heard, and references what he earlier remembered about the town. Sticking to crowds and avoiding tourist behavior, he hides among the tall folk whenever possible, otherwise just avoiding gawking and standing in the middle of the street.

Spot- take 20 repeatedly over a couple hours = 20+7=27
Listen- take 10 repeatedly = 10+5 = 15
Hide- take 10 repeatedly while moving at slightly less than normal speed = 10+10-5= 15

Yas392
2013-02-28, 06:41 PM
Edge

Well, the congregation is usually for meetings, not relevant for people like him that is unless interesting news is abroad. The exploration of the settlement has gone quite well, it was not easy getting lost. I mean they are only houses, the ways are not as complex as the larger settlements. The people here weren't so bad, they were lukewarming despite having gruff accents. This walking around is tiring, he is getting parched. Sooner or later, he really needs some drink. What should he buy? Ale?Rum? Nah, do not want to be a patsy during bar brawls. Milk or juice is suffice enough.

Then, Edge notices a midget, sneaking and scurrying around, darting into an alleyway. It amuses him a bit.

He needs help, I mean seriously..

?!

A feeling arouses his alertness to his surroundings. Near the city hall, suspicious people, overhaul. When he look at them, they pretend that moment never exist. Unforgivable. He despised being watched. Hated Every Minute Of It! One of his hand balls into a fist. If they don't like me, fine. But if they need me to prove to their superior to be accepted into the community, then so be it. I'll show them my conviction that I can be trusted.

As they are moving away, Edge asserts.

"Do you have a problem with me, gentlemen?"

Sense Motive - [roll0] (9)

IamL
2013-02-28, 07:36 PM
for Yas392: They smile sheepishly and say
"Pardon us. You're a stranger who showed up out of the blue wielding a rapier. You have to understand why we'd be suspicious. If you wouldn't mind coming to city hall to register that weapon, we'll be out of your hair." You notice nothing wrong with their statement.

Yas392
2013-02-28, 07:56 PM
Edge

In the end, it is I that is too suspicious on the comical levels of paranoid. Having been on the road far too long, he almost forgot that some place needed a licensure to wield magic and weapons. This city is not an exception to that list either.

He chuckles quietly at the irony. His wary composure is replaced by one of goofy and casual.

"Ah yes, sorry for my uptightness. Aside from that, is there any kind of rules other than that you need me to take consideration of?"

IamL
2013-02-28, 08:24 PM
Phelix-Mu:You note three inns, a bar run by a halfling, and a prospecting supply store run by a knobby old gnome. Nobody really takes notice of you, except for the gnome and the halfling. The halfling's merely nods to you, with a look in his eyes that suggests that he wishes for you to speak with him later, but that it isn't particularly important. The gnome smiles as you step in to have a look around. More importantly, however, he notices your attempts to hide in between a group of people. After they leave, but before they manage to slip out, he gestures to you.
"On the lam, hm?" he asks.

IamL
2013-02-28, 08:29 PM
Yas392: The guards shrug. "Not particularly. For large spells, you need a permit, but you don't look like an archmage to me," says the lead man, clad in a uniform that you suspect to be of a upper middle ranked guard. He gestures to the city hall, and says, "If you wouldn't mind coming with us. It'll only take ten or fifteen minutes."

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-28, 09:56 PM
Banelle

Gotta drop this stuff. Too heavy, and I certainly don't need it for sight-seeing.

Banelle takes a room at the first inn he comes across, making a point of asking for help with the his pack, and tipping anyone that assists a couple coppers.

Wealth Tally: 62gp, 5sp, 6cp - cost of room - 2cp for the tip

Always wise to sew the seeds of future goodwill.

He makes a mental note to talk to the halfling at a more opportune time, perhaps this evening, when the evening meal is foremost on the minds of most.

To the gnome:

"Nothing so serious," Banelle says, smiling broadly. "But I find too much attention in new places to be...unnerving," ending on a grave note.

"But, suppose I were in need of assistance. Purely hypothetical, mind you. Are there people in town that are reliable, friendly types? And how about people that I should avoid? I apologize for the direct approach, but I am not good at getting on with most people, particularly ones with a height advantage, if you know what I mean."

Yas392
2013-03-01, 01:30 AM
Edge

"Sure thing. By the way, can you tell me more history this city? And how's your life as a guard been?"

Edge came across a fair share of encounter with the authorities, under the ruling of other noble families. Some of the police forces are intimidating and abuse their position of power. The previous flock were manipulated into capture him. This prompts him find out the true impression of the individuals imbued with authority every time he came across new sets of them. The guards here were acting nonchalantly, they are not an exception to his list either. He wanted to double check just to make sure its genuine. Wretching bits of information from them could prove useful in future endeavours. It might or might not have connections depending on the affiliations. Of course, this thought and action is carefully hidden under the facade displaying joviality. After all, one has to be resourceful and insightful to survive the web's of deception that is spreaded by political influences.

Sense Motive - [roll0] (14)
Gather Information - [roll1] (21)

IamL
2013-03-01, 09:09 AM
Phelix-Mu:The gnome replies, "Depends on what you mean by "reliable." This is a primarily dwarven town. Most dwarves are reliable, but in the sense of honesty and integrity. Or are you asking about people who you could rely on to keep you out of trouble, in which case I'd talk to the alchemist. He's a good fellow. He'll do anyone a good turn, and if your fingers and your mind are both quick, you could get some employment. Mining doesn't seem to be the kind of thing you would excel at."

Yas392:The head guard replies, "We started out a small enough town, Then a gnome and a dwarf, distant relatives and good friends, hit a deep, large vein of gold. The town boomed until people dug too deep and some of the mines started buckling near the end. Not enough to be a serious threat, mind you, but enough to scare a decent number of the tourists away."

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-01, 12:42 PM
Banelle

"That sounds like some good advice. You've been most helpful."

Banelle slips the gnome a copper with a wink.

Sleight of Hand [roll0]

Wealth Tally: Previous - 1cp

Almost out of the store, Banelle remembers an important thing

"Umm, where did you say I could find this alchemist?" he asks with a goofy smile.

Before heading to the alchemist, Banelle decides to go grab a snack or beverage of some sort at the bar run by the halfling.

A nice snack may help calm my nerves, and that halfling seemed interested in talking to me.

IamL
2013-03-01, 01:02 PM
Phelix-Mu:The gnome replies, "Go to the front steps of town hall, walk down main street, then turn left. It's the second building to the left." After stopping for a second, you remember the way from where you are to the halfling's bar. The halfling smiles as you enter. "Hello, friend. Where are you from, and what can I get you to drink?" He makes a nearly imperceptible gesture to the couple drinking Elven wine in the corner, a suggestion that he wants you to stay until nobody else is there.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-01, 03:20 PM
Banelle

Gosh a beer sounds tempting...but I don't want to get sloshed. Need to make sure I make a good impression around town. If I'm going to get noticed at all, I don't want it to be for public drunkenness.

"I'll have a mug of whatever non-alcoholic beverage you might have," he says with a subtle nod of acknowledgement. "I'm in no hurry, and if you have any snacks for sale, I'll order some of those, too."

He slides a couple silver across the bar to the halfling.

Wealth Tally: -2sp
Shall I assume the cost of the room at the inn is as per PHB, common inn, or 5sp/day?

"First day in town after a spell on the road, just looking to relax for a bit."

Selecting a table near the entrance (preferably with a window looking out on the street), Banelle looks around, counting the exits, admiring the decor, and relaxes to enjoy his snack and slowly sip his drink.

Spot- Patiently takes 20 = 20+7 = 27

Yas392
2013-03-01, 03:35 PM
Edge

"Interesting. Can you tell me about the dwarf and the gnome? What happens after that?"

As they enter the city hall, the story indulges him, urging him to find out more.

Gather Information - [roll0] (13)

IamL
2013-03-01, 04:42 PM
Yas392:You find out a few things about the dwarf due to a friendly man at town hall: His name is Dupalt. He was born in Dusgard, and he had, and still has, a reputation as a philanthropist and a helper of the poor. He was a devout follower of Moradin, and paid his daily tithes, despite what little he made in the then-barren mines. After leaving the mines, he would heal those who suffered from lung problems from working in the mines (lower middle level cleric). He struck a vein of gold with his partner, a gnome named Hilitac, fourteen years ago. He resides in Dusgard to this very day. The gnome, however, is harder to find information about. You find minimal facts besides his name and place of birth, an obscure, small settlement, barely more than a motley collection of houses bordering Orc lands called Alor. He worked with Dusgard, and was cheerful and would lend a hand for those who needed it, but he didn't live, and rarely stayed the night, in Dusgard. The man at city hall starts telling you about a mining accident that happened to him, but is cut off by his superior's icy gaze.
The guards hand you two extensive forms to fill out. You need to fill out the type of weapon, weapon's appearance, length, width, hilt size, the weapon's place of creation, the smith who created it, if it is magical in any way, shape, or form, how long ago you got it, and if you have any formal training in it. The next is about personal information: Your name, your place of birth, If you have ever broken the law, the family you come from, your height, weight, hair color, eye color, and any distinctive scars or marks. You also have to sign at the bottom of both forms.

Phelix-Mu:You see a person with a rapier being led to town hall by a group of guards, who are chatting with the person they are leading, which tells you that the person isn't in any major violation of the law. The beer is good, as is the rye bread given to you on the side. The people eventually shuffle out, and the halfling gestures at you and says, "I have a bit of a problem. Nothing major, mind you, but it does need solving."

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-01, 05:01 PM
Banelle

It's Never too early to start earning favor or coin.

Banelle moves fluidly up to the bar, coming close to the other halfling and smiling in a conspiratorial manner.

"I'm planning to be in town for a while, supposing things go smoothly. I can always use a job to keep me busy while I'm getting settled, though. Keep in mind I am fairly unfamiliar with everything that is going on around here. What exactly did you have in mind?"

Yas392
2013-03-01, 05:21 PM
Edge

Ugh, why does it always have to be so complicated at the get go?

He studies the sheets thoroughly before he fills it in. He also needs to analyze the superior's characteristics.

Can I take 10 on Search for the sheet?

Search (Sheet) (Patiently - Take 10) - 10 + 2 = 12
Sense Motive (Superior) - [roll1] (24)

Yas392
2013-03-01, 05:35 PM
In case I can't take 10, here's the roll for my search check.

Search (Sheet) - [roll0]

IamL
2013-03-01, 10:34 PM
Phelix-Mu: The halfling says, "I recently received a strange box." He pulls it out and hands it to you. There are locks, contraptions, and glyphs surrounding the entire contraption. "And I require its contents by next Wednesday, but I myself lack the skill to open it. Perhaps you could figure it out.

Yas392:You can discern that the head guard is bored and would prefer to be working a more lucrative job, but doesn't have much of a skillset beyond law enforcement. (hello, Mr. 20.) You can take 10 on the spot check. You find nothing out of place.

Yas392
2013-03-01, 11:10 PM
Edge

Okay, nothing out the order.

He checks the both sheets. Inside, he felt awed by the second sheet.

Woah, woah, woah..He is not going to reveal that he's noble blood, it's too risky. Weapon is fine, it's not purchased in his hometown and the smith is at least well-known. Personal details, on the other hand, he would use the identity he would go by when he's off duty, living with a relative that is middle class as a foster son which is Geed.

"There, done"

He handed the sheet back to the man.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-01, 11:19 PM
Banelle

"Very...interesting...."

Deep breath. Feeling that desirable object urge, but really, glyphs...magic...could be out of my league.

"I'll...um...hmm..." says Banelle, slightly distracted, "I'll need time to look at it. I don't want to interrupt your business here. Do you have a private place where I could look it over?"

"Also, before I get started, I could use a few supplies. I guess you're not in a hurry, so maybe I'll return for the box in a little bit."

First, it wasn't clear to me that the bartender is actually letting me take the box with me? If so, then I will pick it up from him after I visit the alchemist.

Traveling to the alchemist, Banelle thinks over what could be useful in figuring out the box.

Borrowing or buying a magnifying glass might be good. Perhaps the alchemist will have one. Also some acid might be good in case the lock proves beyond my abilities. Finally, some string or wire...if I find a trap, I may need to trip it from a distance.

"Dum dee dum," the halfling hummed happily as he entered the alchemist's shop.

IamL
2013-03-01, 11:20 PM
Yas392:The guard nods and says "You're good to go."

IamL
2013-03-01, 11:26 PM
Phelix-Mu: (yeah, you can take the box) The halfling nods as you leave. "It's definitely a bit of a problem." Entering the alchemists shop absentmindedly, still thinking about the problem with the box, you are greeted by a short, thin human with a shock of blonde hair, intense, strange black eyes, and a monocle tricked out to function as an amazing magnifying glass in his hand. "Hello. I haven't seen you around here before. Oh, well, no matter. What can I help you with?"

Yas392
2013-03-01, 11:33 PM
Edge

Time for a drink. I'm getting thirsty from that procedure. Let's see..After that, maybe get some job offers.

He exits the building, asking people on the way to point him to the nearest bar.

I am getting used to this. Just to be on the safe side, it's probably better to get people to point it out. First time not too keen.

IamL
2013-03-01, 11:37 PM
Yas392:A dwarf points to your left, saying, "The bear an' mead is good, but don't try the wine. Just...Just don't."

Yas392
2013-03-01, 11:41 PM
Edge

"Why thank you, my good man."

He walks towards the direction that the dwarf gestured.

Always check the bar to see if it's pretty safe first.

He reminds himself that.

Spot (Patiently - Take 20) - 20 + 4 = 24

IamL
2013-03-01, 11:43 PM
Yas392:You find nothing too suspicious, just the odd drunk or two.

Yas392
2013-03-02, 12:06 AM
Edge

He sat on the high stools.

"Yo, Bartender, I'll have a whip of something that is preferable non-alcoholic and the meat of the day."

He put some silver onto the table.

Wealth - 90 gp - 3 sp = 89 gp 7 sp

While chomping down and enjoying his meal, he looks around the bar and out the window to see if there's anything about, listens for conversations of others and ask the bartender of the rumors of late.

Listen (Patiently- Take 20) - 20 + 4 = 24
Spot (Patiently - Take 20) - 20 + 4 = 24
Gather Information - [roll0] (16)

IamL
2013-03-02, 12:10 AM
Yas392:The bartender, a human, hands you a pint of non-alcoholic mead, which is so-so. "Lamb's the meat today. If you want, I can make it into a stew for another 2 silver." You notice that a lot of people are getting restless and unsatisfied with conditions in this town, which doesn't make nearly as much money from toursim as it used to, but still has places open. Several people are out of jobs.

Yas392
2013-03-02, 12:25 AM
Edge

"No, but thanks for the recommendation. Say, you got any news out of the oven? You see, I am not very well-informed of the day-to-days of the city. And do you know any rumors about a mining accident?"

Edge wipes his mouth with a napkin before taking in his drink slowly.

Gather Information - [roll0] (15)

IamL
2013-03-02, 12:34 AM
Yas392:The bartender shakes his head.

Yas392
2013-03-02, 12:50 AM
Edge

"Hmm, by any chance, you heard of anyone seeking a pair of extra hands around here. Not trying to be pushy or anything here but I'm really searching for a job at this moment."

Gather Information - [roll0] (16)

IamL
2013-03-02, 06:25 AM
Yas392:The man thinks for a second, then replies, "You could always work in the mines. You could also try for a job with the alchemist, but I don't think your hands are quite nimble enough."

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-02, 12:30 PM
Banelle

"Hello there, I am new in town. Since I don't know the best shops to look for what and find myself in need of some specialized tools, you know...the kind that aren't found anywhere. In any case, I figure you can help me out."

Purchases flask of acid, a glass eyedropper (for precision application of acid), a small spool of wire (if he has that)
Wealth Tally: ? ...will go back and work it out when I have a few moments and an idea of what wire and an eyedropper should cost...:smallsmile:

"And finally, I would be willing to trade favors if you could lend me a magnifying glass. I can use it in here if it's a problem, I know they can be pretty valuable, but I might need a couple minutes of privacy to inspect some...uh...sensitive material."

IamL
2013-03-02, 01:54 PM
Phelix-Mu:The alchemist chuckles softly to himself. "Absolutely, but I need them back in a few days."

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-02, 02:22 PM
Banelle

"Thank you, good sir. If you need them sooner, you can ask after me at [insert name of inn where Banelle is staying], where I have a room."

Retrieving the box and returning to the privacy of his room at the inn, the halfling carefully places the box on the bed. A look of intrigued excitement spreads across his face.

"Well, well," he says to the box, "will you yield your secrets to me?"

He checks the box for any traps, any hidden script, anything that can be seen.

Search - takes 20 = 20+3= 23
I had thought to use the magnifying glass to give a +2 bonus with Search checks, but it seems that that is not what it does...strange

Yas392
2013-03-02, 03:23 PM
Edge

"Mining applications is not open until Saturday, am I correct? Is there any other applications barring the job at the alchemist that could earn a few fast pieces?"

Gather Information - [roll0] (21)

IamL
2013-03-02, 04:58 PM
Yas392:The bartender smiles. "We could always use a hand here. It won't pay much, only a few coppers, but it's still something."

Phelix-Mu:The box is starting to give you a headache. As soon as you think you've spotted some pattern in the design that could be broken, it almost seems to vanish when you go to double-check it. Nevertheless, you can figure out a few things:
1. The locksmith who created this was no amateur. Even without the glyphs, this would be a formidable lock to pick.
2. The glyphs are intricate and complicated, and there are many of them, but they all seem to be of low-level spells. Unfortunately, they're arranged like a minefield, so if you set one off, all of them you didn't disarm will go off.
3. You can't discern the pattern of all of the runes, but you do notice that several of them have links to the lid of the container, so opening that without disarming them could be fatal.

IamL
2013-03-02, 05:00 PM
Oh, and Phelix-Mu: I'd have given you a penalty if you didn't have the magnifying glass, but as it is, it's not quite the perfect tool for the job as it doesn't let you use your other hand.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-02, 05:32 PM
Banelle

Looking at the glyphs, the halfling shakes his head.

I'm guessing that those glyphs aren't for decoration. Someone that put that much effort into defending the box probably would make the penalty for trespassing death, not some cute flesh wound."

"Sheesh..."

Well, I have some time to work on it. Don't want to jump in too deep. Maybe there is someone in town that can help me out with the runes.

Rubbing his temples, the halfling feels the eye strain beginning to set in.

"That's it, time for a break."

How big is the box? If it's small enough to conceal on my person, I'll carry it around. Otherwise I will carry it to the bar, and let the other halfling hang onto it, as it seems too valuable to leave unattended at the inn.

Banelle takes a walk, and then decides to look for a meal.

Food for thought, perhaps?

IamL
2013-03-02, 05:39 PM
Phelix-Mu: It's about the size of a Harry Potter book, so you could try to conceal it on you.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-02, 05:51 PM
Banelle

Concealing the box in his bedroll and slinging it over his back, Banelle heads off to find a meal.

But first, a short walk about town to build up some appetite and get some fresh air.

IamL
2013-03-02, 05:57 PM
Phelix-Mu:The walk is beautiful, but the cold mountain air and the strong winds chill you to the bone.

Yas392
2013-03-02, 06:23 PM
Edge

"Alrighty then."

Unknown to the bartender, he slips 1 sp under his cup as he leaves.

Generally, I like tipping people because I am always generous.

Wealth - 89 gp 7 sp - 1 sp = 89 gp 6 sp

Heading towards alchemist, he waves to shopkeeper.

"Hey there, I heard that you need some extra help."

IamL
2013-03-02, 06:35 PM
Yas392:The alchemist nods and says, "Get here early tomorrow morning."

Yas392
2013-03-02, 06:45 PM
Edge

Today is not bad, it is troublesome in its stead, sorely for the law.

Likewise asking people to direct him to an inn and getting some fresh information along the way, as always he tries to keep his sense alert for things that might happen.

Listen - [roll0]
Spot - [roll1] (19)
Gather Information - [roll2] (25)

IamL
2013-03-02, 06:52 PM
Yas392:You don't find out much, except for the fact that the last mini collapse was three and a half months ago. However, you do manage to get a room at a decent inn. As you sit down on your bed, you hear the person in the room next to you leave.

Yas392
2013-03-02, 07:23 PM
Edge

Wealth - 80 gp 6 sp - 3 sp = 80 gp 3 sp for the inn.

"Uhhhhhhahhhh, I really wanna slack off but there's nothing toooo do this evening."

Freshened from the bath, he groans, exhales, rolling over on his bed. His rented goat had far long disappears over the distance, returning to its owner as it is trained to do once the service had been carried out.

The creaking of the room next to him just gave him an idea to go out and get some fresh air, also fun at poking people, trailing whoever he saw while being sneaky and casual all the way.

Finally after some hours of rest and boredom, fun at last.

Growls~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ugh, need some food as well.

Spot - [roll0] (17)
Hide - [roll1] (22)
Disguise - [roll2]
Sense Motive - [roll3] (18)

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-02, 07:37 PM
Banelle

Whoa, gets cold here fast. Better kick it up a bit.

The halfling jogs around for a couple minutes, not enough to break a sweat, but enough to get the blood warmed up.

Hmm, now, food. I'll go to the bar. Should be a decent place to take a gander at the locals while not freezing to death.

Entering the bar, the halfling takes a look around before heading to procure some food.

Spot- take 10 = 10+7= 17

IamL
2013-03-02, 07:54 PM
Phelix-Mu:The halfling greets you with a smile and a wave. The others in the bar, however, stare daggers at you. It almost seems like you interrupted something.

IamL
2013-03-02, 08:08 PM
Yas392:Perhaps somebody should have told you that a pair of prank big-nose glasses and a top hat isn't a good disguise, but your unusual success at stealth makes up for it. You wander around town for a while, making your way to a bar called "The Bureaucracy."

Yas392
2013-03-02, 08:22 PM
Edge

"Oh, its him, the one I saw near the city hall.."

His lights step proved him undetectable, even when the halfling turn his head, he still manage to dodge out of the way into the shadow, emerging when he is inside.

Phew. Now, let's see if there's any specifics here.

Spot - [roll0] (6)
Search - [roll1]

IamL
2013-03-02, 08:26 PM
Yas392:As you walk in, you accidentally hit your head on the doorframe, which blurs your vision. You see a room full of people, with the halfling you followed in standing about fifteen feet in front of you.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-02, 08:30 PM
Banelle

The blood rushes swiftly to his face, and he can't but be visibly flustered by the attention.

Breathe. Breathe, dammit. Too early to be going to pieces.

A room full of hostile Tall Folk. Hits far too close to home, and the observant might notice a slight hint of tears. But only a hint. Looking at the floor, the halfling gestures to the bar for service and moves toward the least conspicuous place in the room, face already plastered with an awkward smile to disguise the all too obvious emotional weakness.

Food, focus on food. If I can actually still manage to eat anything.

A sudden urge to get fabulously drunk threatens to overwhelm Banelle.

No, no, no. Take it easy, don't let the situation get to you.

Banelle orders some ginger ale, some bread and cheese, and stars blankly at the food while slowly eating. The weak smile slowly reasserts itself, however, and the hint of tears goes away.

IamL
2013-03-02, 08:31 PM
Banelle notices a presence behind him.

Yas392
2013-03-02, 08:40 PM
Edge

Disoriented, he heaves himself up to meet see some people noticing his state.

"Move on with your stuff, nothing to see here. Just a minor blunder."

People mumble, shifting their attention quickly back to their own business.

Edge curses himself, how could he be so careless?

Making his way to the bartender, he sat beside the halfling that is eating at a snail pace. He notices that his hands are shaking while the food goes down to his throat.

Growl~~~~~~~~~

Aww, cmon already, stuff you.

"Bartender, I will have a helping to some of your cheese and a glass of juice, thank you."

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-02, 08:42 PM
Banelle

Remain...calm. It's a bar. Meeting people in a bar...is...normal. Breathe.

Smiling and looking over shoulder, Banelle gestures to an empty chair, not talking for the moment, mouth clearly full of food. (how convenient.)

Yas392
2013-03-02, 08:48 PM
Edge

"Are you alright there, young man?"

Seriously, he really needs alot of help. Who would have thought of a halfling here in all places would be so afraid of the ones in this bar. Unless he has a fear of humans..

Edge sense that the posture of the halfling is not right as if it looks like he's about to puke on someone.

IamL
2013-03-02, 08:57 PM
The bartender reaches over and hands Edge his order.

Yas392
2013-03-02, 09:03 PM
Edge

He nods his thanks, begins chipping the cheese and sipping his beverage. That does not mean he's not addressing the rigid figure who is still breathing unnaturally with his head to the empty chair.

Tapping his shoulder, his tone is monotonous.

"Helloooo"

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-02, 09:07 PM
Banelle

"I...um...it seems I misjudged the weather a bit."

Man, I am TERRIBLE at lying.

"No, honestly, I just...um...a little more company here than I was expecting. I'll be fine, by and by."

Pulling himself together, the halfling actually does seem to be doing a bit better.

He looks the newcomer over.

Spot take 10 = 10+7 = 17

Yas392
2013-03-02, 09:15 PM
Edge

That scrutinizing eyes...well, two can play at that game. His senses arouse at the sign of this action. What if he's a spy?

Spot - [roll0] (6)
Sense Motive - [roll1] (19)

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-02, 09:23 PM
Banelle

Seems like I've seen him before. A spot of trouble with the law. Unless he's an idiot or a troublemaker, he's probably new in town.

Sense Motive [roll0]

"I don't have anything against Tall Folk in principle, if that's what you're wondering. Crowds just put me off. I've been on the road for a bit now, and the sudden appearance of room full of..."

Suddenly smiling, the halfling perks up, looking directly up at the human male.

"But I'm sure that's not that interesting. You've been up to at least as much as I have been, unless I'm mistaken."

Yas392
2013-03-02, 09:43 PM
Edge

Hmm, nothing too special, he's just another male halfling. He's not malicious. He is just as paranoia as I am, his case is much, much worse.

"You have a good deduction there. If you're wondering about those people earlier on, it's nothing, it's just the regulations that foreign people have to follow. Likewise, we are on the same boat, we both are new to town if I am correct."

He steepled his arms, laying his head on the palm of his hand. So fear of crowds, eh?

"My miscalculation then. I just have a feeling you must have been traumatized in the past that's why I assumed that. Oh, how rude of me to not introduce myself sooner. My name is Geed. Please to meet your acquiantance."

He straightens himself, holding out his hand.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-02, 09:51 PM
Banelle

Shaking hands with Geed.

"And my name is Banelle. Well met."

The halfling is pleasantly distracted from all that earlier distressing business, and resumes eating.

"So what brings you to town?"

Yas392
2013-03-02, 10:04 PM
Edge

"Same reason as you have; looking for a job."

Looks around the bar, it's still crowded, increasing as more people are coming in. Must be late now.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-02, 10:23 PM
Banelle

"I've got a promising lead or two already. I could use some help, though, especially as the majority of the town probably won't look favorably on my skill set."

Yas392
2013-03-02, 10:35 PM
Edge

"Care to elaborate those leads?"

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-02, 11:10 PM
Banelle

"Maybe in a more private setting. Perhaps we can talk somewhere else?"

Yas392
2013-03-03, 12:21 AM
Edge

"Sure, it's getting late here."

Trailing off, he just pays the bartender, leading his newly found acquaintance back to their temporary refuge. Hmm, what secrets will I get from their lips this time, I wonder. That thought always comes around whenever he enters and exits a location.

Wealth - 89 gp 3 sp - 3 sp = 89 gp

Listen - [roll0] (22)

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-03, 11:56 AM
Banelle

The halfling follows the human back to the human's room.

"Well, my main job, so far, involves figuring out how to open a locked box. It appears to be heavily trapped. Pretty sure it's going to explode or the like if I don't figure out the right method for disabling it."

Taking the box from it's hiding place in the bedroll, the halfling places it gently on the bed.

"So, the obvious solution to the whole problem is to find the right key. That would probably be the most straightforward way."

Rubbing his hands together with interest, the halfling looks over the box again in silent concentration.

"Sadly, there is no indication that finding the key is actually possible. I have to do more research on this point."

"Any ideas? I'm willing to give you a cut of the payment for the job if you provide useful assistance."

Yas392
2013-03-03, 05:05 PM
Edge

"Certainly tempting but no, I will help you for I feel that it is the right thing to do. I will not ask much in return, just companionship. From then, you will have to manage my future investments. Truth to be told, the problem somewhat comes with my abilities. It's complicated. So are we unanimous on this proposition?"

Edge crosses his arms, awaiting the halfling's opinion on the matter.

IamL
2013-03-03, 07:13 PM
Yas392:You notice the general resuming of activity. You hear a particularly loud person say, "So about that operation," before being shushed by the others.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-03, 09:40 PM
Banelle

"If you object to being paid, that's not a problem. If you need anything, though, just ask. I will hold your share in reserve as a, let's say, rainy day fund."

"First, or rather, first thing in the morning, we should figure out if anyone in town might be able to identify these glyphs."

Yas392
2013-03-03, 11:21 PM
Edge

"As you wish but let's see what I can do at the moment"

Edge scans all sides of the box, trying to catch any details that the halfling missed, checking if he had knowledge about the symbols imprinted and the mechanics of the lock. He thens shakes it to detect any ventriquolism from the contents inside, to sense its intent when different course of actions are taken.

Spot (Patiently - Take 20) - 20+4=24
Search (Patiently - Take 20) - 20+2=22
Listen - (Patiently - Take 20) - 20+4=24
Sense Motive - (Patiently - Take 20) - 20+4=24

IamL
2013-03-04, 10:08 AM
Yas392:The box is starting to give you a headache. As soon as you think you've spotted some pattern in the design that could be broken, it almost seems to vanish when you go to double-check it. Nevertheless, you can figure out a few things from inspecting the box:
1. The locksmith who created this was no amateur.
2. The glyphs are intricate and complicated, and there are many of them, but they all seem to be of low-level spells. Unfortunately, they're arranged like a minefield, so if you set one off, all of them you didn't disarm will go off.
3. You can't discern the pattern of all of the runes, but you do notice that several of them have links to the lid of the container, so opening that without disarming them could be fatal.
4. The box is made of ironwood with some sort of mithril-like substance reinforcing it. Whoever made it is serious about protecting whatever is inside of it.
When you shake it, you hear several hollow, sliding, clacking noises inside the box, as if several small plates were sliding around.

Phelix-Mu: Geed seems to be taking his time. He's a bit more patient than you were, but he doesn't quite have the skills that you did inspecting the box.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-04, 03:28 PM
Banelle

"I think we need to find someone with some knowledge of spells and magic. It's possible to undo magic, I think, and that would make me feel better about testing the glyphs. If the spell on there is some kind of slaying magic, then this is hardly worth the risk, especially since we're not really sure of the value of what's in the box. It may have been sent to the recipient with the intent of killing him, after all."

The halfling carefully considers what kind of people in this town might be in a position to know about magic.

Knowledge(local)- [roll0]

"My head is a mess right now. Perhaps we should return to this matter in the morning."

Yas392
2013-03-04, 04:02 PM
Edge

Figuring out this box is like figuring out a labyrinth laden with tricks and traps.

He rubs his temple. Hearing Banelle suggestion of finding some who has some expertise about magic, he give a deep thought. Wait, I just remembered that I know a bit about magic and magical artifacts before. Why didn't I use that knowledge before? Stupid. It could also be a religious artifact. Or the possiblities of an object made by a foreign being or a foreign being trapped inside if my assumptions of item inside is indeed giving signs of fragility and uniqueness based on the sound given.

Facing the halfling, he utters.

"Wait. Let me try to analyze it once more. It is clear that I over-analyzed, only considering the logical factors."

He fumbles with his pockets sheepishly, his face red, then attempts once more.

Knowledge (Arcana) - [roll0]
Knowledge (Religion) - [roll1]
Knowledge (The Planes) - [roll2]

IamL
2013-03-04, 04:47 PM
Yas392:You notice that the glyphs are all arcane save one, which is a glyph that wards off undead.

Yas392
2013-03-04, 06:00 PM
Edge

Strange..they are all arcane glyphs.

Edge notices that one glyph is off.

Well, well, look what the cat dragged in!

"Banelle, this box is purely designed to ward off magical attempts to open it. But see this here.."

He points to where he identified the unusual glyph.

"It's a fail-safe incase this is in the possessions of the undead."

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-04, 06:15 PM
Banelle

"Undead? Hmm..."

That's weird.

"I can't possibly think why the box should be warded against undead in particular. If the rest of the glyphs magical protection, then we probably should try to figure out what might happen if the traps accidentally go off. That way we can try to protect ourselves."

Getting a little restless....

The halfling is starting to fidget a bit. Subtly at first, but it's clear that something is making him a little uncomfortable. He gets up and paces for a minute or so.

"So, it seems that the best thing to do would be to research what the glyphs do. We can trace them onto paper and ask around, or maybe there is a library with a sage of some kind. Might also be a good idea to ask the owner for more background on the box.

IamL
2013-03-04, 06:37 PM
Glancing outside, you notice that the sun has almost finished setting on this fine Wednesday evening. The chill blows through your window, which is odd, since you don't remember it being open before.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-04, 06:45 PM
Banelle

"A little cold to have the window open, Geed."

The halfling moves to close it, but pauses at the window to admire the view.

Spot- [roll0]

Vague longings for the forest flit through Banelle's mind, and the halfling is lost in thought for a moment.

I don't like the night.

Yas392
2013-03-04, 06:55 PM
Edge

?! I sensed something awry in the night.

"No, I did not opened it."

Edge checks the closets, utilities and micellanies.

Spot - [roll0] (9)
Listen - [roll1] (16)
Sense Motive (Objects) - [roll2]
Search - [roll3]

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-04, 07:03 PM
Banelle

Sleight of Hand- [roll0]

The halfling is suddenly armed, a dagger in hand, finger pursed to the lips in a gesture for quiet.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-04, 07:06 PM
Banelle

He casually goes to the window, opens it, and listens carefully for a moment, while avoiding being too exposed.

Listen- [roll0]

IamL
2013-03-04, 07:11 PM
Phelix-Mu:You hear a small skitter.
Yas392:You notice nothing.

Yas392
2013-03-04, 07:17 PM
Edge

Edge stops and waits until Banelle gives the signal. His right hand is already on his shealth, weapon ready to be drawn at the instant of danger.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-04, 07:33 PM
Banelle

Mouths silently "Something out there," and gestures for the human to wait.

Climbing carefully onto the windowsill, extending the top half of his body out into the night air, holding onto the window for purchase. He cranes his neck to see what he can see, remaining as quiet as possible to aid with the listening.

Is there a rooftop outside the window, or does it go straight down to the street?
Move Silently- [roll0]
Listen- [roll1]
Spot- [roll2]

IamL
2013-03-04, 08:12 PM
There is a rooftop.
Phelix-Mu:You see a shadow flicker and hear a small scrape, but no more than that.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-04, 08:19 PM
Banelle

Slowly moving out onto the rooftop, the halfling gestures for the human to come to the window.

"Can you climb?" the halfling whispers. "If not, please go outside and look up from street level. If you can, follow me after I'm out of the way. Be careful, and take the box with you. We shouldn't leave it here unattended."

Climb- [roll0]
Move Silently- [roll1]
Hide (assuming that there is cover/concealment, if not, moving half speed anyway)- [roll2]

IamL
2013-03-04, 08:25 PM
You move pretty well, climbing down the masonry like it was a ladder. You move pretty silently as well, and your body blends into the darkness of the twilight.

Yas392
2013-03-04, 08:51 PM
Edge

"I think I'll just spectate. I have no experience with climbing. Be careful."

He hides the box in his pack with his other belongings. In a few seconds, he is outside, battle ready lest the shadows are relenting.

IamL
2013-03-04, 08:59 PM
Your eyes take a little bit to adjust to the darkness, but, after a minute or two, you can see Banelle.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-04, 09:12 PM
Banelle

Following any indication of sound or movement of shadow, dagger held between his teeth, Banelle continues. The adrenaline from the exertion of climbing is soothing.

Was starting to get that itch...feeling of wanting to sleep, but not wanting to sleep.

Sadly, he can barely see in the dark.

If the suspect is a pro, they probably timed their movement with the setting of the sun.... Shoot, this is getting dangerous.

Looking around for a ledge/vantage point nearby, Banelle slows his descent.

I'll be vulnerable as I approach the ground. I want eyes on anyone suspicious before I get to that point.

Spot- [roll0]
Hide- [roll1]

IamL
2013-03-04, 09:14 PM
You notice a flicker of shadow around the end of the corner to your left, about 80 feet away.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-04, 09:18 PM
Banelle

Hoping that Geed can see him, Banelle points in the direction of the movement.

Snooper has a good lead on me. Can't lose contact at this point.

Speeding up and moving rather faster than advisable, Banelle hurries toward the corner.

Yas392
2013-03-04, 09:46 PM
Edge

Chipper's getting away..must keep up. I still have a clear view of him.

Edge follows swiftly using the darkness to his advantage, yet quietly to avoid suspicion, looking for any obstacles to stop the shadow and listens to see if it lands so that he could catch it prefectly in a pincer formation.

Move Silently - [roll0]
Listen - [roll1] (15)
Spot - [roll2] (17)
Hide - [roll3]

IamL
2013-03-05, 06:37 AM
You blend into the shadows quite well, but your boots thud against the pavement rather loudly, and you can't hear anything.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-05, 02:47 PM
Banelle

The halfling stops before turning the corner. Hiding, he peeks around the edge of the building.

Hide- [roll0]
Spot- [roll1]
Listen- [roll2]

IamL
2013-03-05, 04:23 PM
Phelix-Mu:You see a short person-perhaps even a halfling, running away, though his silhouette is very indistinct and his boots make no sound. This is no amateur spy. He hears something in the corner, either you or Geed, and turns. Make a Reflex save to avoid detection.

Yas392
2013-03-05, 04:24 PM
Edge

Never in my life *pants* I've exerted so much *pant*

He had so much adrenaline from that chase, the expenditure cost of over-exertion is slowly catching up to him now that he caught up with Banelle.

He clamp his mouth shut to stop his panting.

Likewise when he see the halfling's actions, he presumably does the same, although he is watching her back while she busied herself with her stealth. The almost bleak environment is perfect for blending in. He readies his rapier, preparing to defend Banelle incase she is getting caught from behind.

Listen - [roll0]
Spot - [roll1]
Hide - [roll2]
Disguise (Using the shadow to appear differently) - [roll3]

IamL
2013-03-05, 04:27 PM
Yas392:Your rapier flashes as you halt, possibly alerting your spy to you.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-05, 04:48 PM
Banelle

Reflex Save- [roll0]

Whoa, called it. Not an amateur.

The halfling holds his breath, remaining motionless for several long seconds.

IamL
2013-03-05, 04:52 PM
Phelix-Mu:The spy stares at the corner for a few long seconds, then turns and starts running again.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-05, 04:52 PM
Banelle

The halfling strains to hear any sound of the short figure that he is pursuing.

Listen- [roll0]

The sound of his own heartbeat hammers inside his ears. A string of halfling expletives wander through his mind.

Yas392
2013-03-05, 04:53 PM
Edge

Not willing to be careless, Edge took out his rapier, trying to spot who is spying from the reflection of the edge before jumpstarting on the onlooker.

Spot - [roll0]

IamL
2013-03-05, 04:55 PM
Phelix-Mu:As you strain to listen, Geed catches up with you, and, as he stops, his rapier swings in front of him, causing you three or four seconds of panic as you hope that the spy didn't notice the flash of steel, and you don't hear anything over the sounds of Geed's labored breath.

IamL
2013-03-05, 04:56 PM
Yas392:You see that the spy is about 80 feet away and widening that distance quickly.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-05, 04:59 PM
Banelle

With backup on the scene, sneaking seems unnecessary. The halfling springs out from behind the corner, dagger in hand, hoping to catch the culprit off-guard, or at the very least catch sight of him/her.

IamL
2013-03-05, 05:01 PM
Your spy is 80 feet away and widening that gap very quickly.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-05, 05:11 PM
Banelle

The halfling breaks into a sprint (quad move), yelling over his shoulder to Geed.

"Tall Man, start running, he's getting away."

Yas392
2013-03-05, 05:11 PM
Edge

Tch, fast..Need a counter-measure

He takes into the shadow, hoping to obscure the spy's line of sight one of his chasers, waiting for the right time to strike or corner him.

The box is that dangerous?

Tumble - [roll0]
Hide (In the shadows) - [roll1]

At the yell of Banelle, he's already running at least twice his running speed.

IamL
2013-03-05, 05:14 PM
Geed hides quite well, and, as the spy sees Banelle running towards him, he redoubles his speed, somehow increasing the gap between them.

Yas392
2013-03-05, 05:21 PM
Edge

Quick, quick, find something to throw at the spy.I know this is a urgent but might as well improvise..

Edge listens to where the spy is heading, timing his precision before picking up a pebble while running to hurl it at the escapee.

Listen - [roll0]

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-05, 05:21 PM
Banelle

Oh, shoot, he's pulling away.

Switching tactics, Banelle continues to run, but focuses on noticing if there is anything about the spy that stands out.

Spot- [roll0]

IamL
2013-03-05, 05:23 PM
All you can discern from this distance is that he seems to be moving inhumanly fast.

IamL
2013-03-05, 05:24 PM
Yas392: You cannot discern his location, and your pebble flies off into nowhere.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-05, 05:34 PM
Banelle

Maybe we can find a shortcut?

The halfling tries to figure out where the spy might be heading, not liking his chance of success since he's new to town.

Knowledge(local)- [roll0]

"Geed, any idea where that bastard might be heading to?"

IamL
2013-03-05, 05:36 PM
You notice he's either heading towards the commercial bit of town, or towards town hall, the latter probably not likely, though.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-05, 05:41 PM
Banelle

Need to find a shortcut.

The halfling looks for some alleyway that he can use to cut off the spy, or at least get close enough to catch sight of where the spy goes.

IamL
2013-03-05, 05:42 PM
Make a Spot check.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-05, 05:46 PM
Banelle

Spot- [roll0]

"Geed you keep after him!"the halfling says.

Yas392
2013-03-05, 05:46 PM
Edge

"No, but if my assumptions are correct, he may be in the noisy part of the town trying to lose us."

The figure is way too far ahead. Getting it right this time.

Spot - [roll0]
Listen - [roll1]

"Gotcha"

IamL
2013-03-05, 05:49 PM
Yas392: Were you trying to throw a pebble again, or just figure out his location?
Phelix-Mu: You see a narrow alley branching off to the right, and you can see that it cuts off the path to the commercial district, but you wouldn't be able to see the spy as you ran there, so if he was heading to town hall, he'd lose you. It's a gamble.

Yas392
2013-03-05, 05:51 PM
His location, I can't aim if he keeps dodging us.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-05, 05:52 PM
Banelle

"Geed, don't lose sight of him. I'm gonna try and cut him off."

Banelle ducks into the alleyway, recklessly continuing at full speed.

IamL
2013-03-05, 05:53 PM
Yas392:He's straight ahead of you, but he's zigzagging, tumbling, and ducking around to avoid potential ranged attacks.

IamL
2013-03-05, 05:57 PM
Phelix-Mu: The narrow alley continues for a while, but you see the alchemist absentmindedly locking his store's backdoor right in front of you.

Yas392
2013-03-05, 06:01 PM
Edge

Edge keeps going, ignoring every colors around him, only fixating his eyes to the target, him being an indicator for Banelle. He knew the halfling would be getting back at the target with a pincer formation, cutting all escape routes.

The gait of that person is annoying..

Nevertheless, with only some people, it still would take a while. He tries to predict where the target would turn after this district.

Listen - [roll0]
Spot - [roll1]
Sense Motive - [roll2]

IamL
2013-03-05, 06:04 PM
The wind is in your eyes and you can't discern anything.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-05, 06:13 PM
Banelle

"Coming through!" the halfling shouts, slowly down only slightly, attempting to Tumble past the Alchemist.

Tumble- [roll0]

Ouch.

Yas392
2013-03-05, 06:20 PM
Edge

Becoming erratic due to the wind, Edge is losing patient but willing to calm himself and tries again.

Listen - [roll0]
Spot - [roll1]
Sense Motive - [roll2]

IamL
2013-03-05, 06:23 PM
Phelix-Mu: You crash into him, wincing as you do. He shouts, and you take 2 point of damage from a near-empty flask of acid he was holding in his hand as you smash into him.

IamL
2013-03-05, 06:26 PM
You figure that he's heading for the commercial area of town.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-05, 06:28 PM
Banelle

Well, I right bungled that one.

"So sorry, Mr, and after you were nice enough to lend me your magnifying glass. I'm chasing a person that broke into my room at the inn."

Banelle quickly checks to make sure he hasn't seriously injured the man.

IamL
2013-03-05, 06:31 PM
Phelix-Mu: He smiles, and says, "It's quite all right. I'm fine. You should continue on."

Yas392
2013-03-05, 06:38 PM
Edge

Where are you Banelle? I cannot keep this up any longer. Nimble feet is absolutely nimble and swift.

His thoughts trails off as he enters the commercial area.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-05, 06:44 PM
Banelle

Mentally smacking himself for his foolish move, Banelle rushes to make up the lost time, shrugging off the pain.

Emerging onto the street, he scans the area quickly for signs of the spy or, more likely, Geed.

Spot- [roll0]

IamL
2013-03-05, 06:46 PM
You see the spy, only 20 feet in front of you, and as you glance behind you, Geed is about a 120 feet behind the spy. He has insane speed, you'll give him that.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-05, 06:55 PM
Banelle

Gotta watch out for commoners.

Banelle sets off at angle, attempting to get ahead of the spy, throwing dagger in hand, mustering a very serious look to his face.

"Halt, villain," the halfling shouts at the spy.

IamL
2013-03-05, 08:55 PM
Phelix-Mu:The spy turns, notices the throwing knife in your hand, pauses for a brief moment, and sends two shuriken flying your way. Both are accurate enough to hit you, but you notice he was aiming for disabling you rather than actually killing you. You take 5 points of nonlethal damage.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-05, 09:13 PM
Banelle

"You better have a damn good reason for not killing me," Banelle says in a grave tone, eyes narrowed.

The halfling harmlessly passes his throwing dagger through the air to the spy, a wry grin upon his face.

"That's a keepsake. You can give it back when I come to return your shuriken."

Banelle turns his back on the spy, walking away.

"In the meantime, mind your own business."

Walking back towards Geed, the halfling is clearly faking being alright, in fact barely able to walk at all.

Yas392
2013-03-05, 09:16 PM
Edge

Finally, he reaches the scene. When the spy stops and to focus his attack on Banelle, and once again, he uses this time wisely to maximize his precision, spotting the area which would renders a person unconscious, listening to where he would go and predicting his future pathing. With a flick of his wrist, he sends a pebble flying to the assailant. In between times, he tries to capture all the details of his target. It would be an alternative means of tracking him even if the means of extracting information was forfeited.

Spot (Details of the spy) - [roll0]
Spot (Weak Point) - [roll1]
Listen (Movements) - [roll2]
Sense Motive (Movements) - [roll3]

IamL
2013-03-06, 07:39 AM
It flicks harmlessly off of his boots as you curse your inaccuracy. He catches the throwing knife Banelle threw at him, turns, and runs away, blending into the shadows as he gets farther away.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-06, 12:17 PM
Banelle

"I think it's time to cut our losses...," the halfling gasps, a little winded and dazed.

Not to mention...Status Condition: Staggered.

He picks a nearby doorstep of some shop or other to sit down on.

I'm lucky I'm not bleeding out.

"I ran headlong into the Alchemist back in the alleyway. I probably owe him an apology. Maybe he has a first aid kit...or...."

The streetscape swims around the halfling for a moment. He shakes his head and blinks while inspecting the shuriken wounds.

"Anyway, Geed, thanks for the help. I guess this job isn't as simple as it sounded at first."

Yas392
2013-03-06, 03:56 PM
Edge

Edge lets out an angry sigh for his ineptitude in his aiming.

I had to bask myself in my ego when my peers recommended archery class for me.

"No, it isn't"

The gashes are evident when Edge sees Banelle teetering around, looking for something to lay his weight upon.

"That won't be necessary. I will do what I can to mitigate the wound."

His hand moves, stopping when it contacts the skin. The shadow of his hand, smothers the wound in mystery. Then, it shines for a brief moment, mystical energies seeping into it, sewing the sinews anew.

Bolstering Touch - [roll0]

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-06, 04:32 PM
Banelle

"Sweetness!" the halfling exclaims, genuinely impressed. "Wow, that is a great ability."

Now I'm almost back to normal.

"Thanks, Geed," Banelle says, eyes shining with genuine gratitude.

"Now lets go back and check on that Alchemist. I upset a vial of acid on the both of us."

The halfling leads the human back into the alleyway to look for the man.

Yas392
2013-03-06, 06:24 PM
Edge

That alchemist, huh?

Edge has this mischievious glint in his eyes.

"Oh, great Banelle, great reckless Banelle, he who trounces the culprit. What becomes of the results of his deeds? He had shaken the employer and costs the one working under him his payroll."

He pretends to be angry, gritting and grinding his teeth. He looms more than he ever could to appear as intimidating as possible or what he appears to be. His entire body is shaking with rage. But inside, he could not stop laughing on his bottom.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-06, 07:58 PM
Banelle

"Huh? Wait, you're working for the Alchemist?"

He reflects for a moment, while more or less ignoring the strange behavior of the tall human.

"Interesting, I was going to talk to him about a job, but never got around to it after I was sidetracked by this matter with the box."

Whoa.

"Wait, tell me you have the box."

Yas392
2013-03-06, 09:01 PM
Edge

Edge cooly slurs and chuckles, slapping Banelle on his back.

"Nopey, justa teasing ya. It's called sarcasm for a reason."

Banelle's awe was amusing.

"Jokes aside, I have a job offer from him which I was told to stop by his shop at the eve of the day."

Edge's mind destabilizes at Banelle's inquiry and he gloats.

"Of course, I have the box. What do kind of a person do you take me for? Because all who dare oppose the mighty, suave Geed had fallen under his the grace of his dance."

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-06, 09:26 PM
Banelle

"Glad to hear it. I wasn't looking forward to running back to the inn to check on the box."

The halfling seems unsure what to make of Geed's joking behavior, but decides to accept it on face value.

"Let's go pay the Alchemist a visit, assuming that he hasn't already gone home. I can apologize more thoroughly and you can ask about that job you heard about."

The halfling heads off down the alleyway toward where he last saw the alchemist.

"What was that power that you used to heal me, Geed? I didn't take you for a cleric...not that I have much experience with them."

Yas392
2013-03-06, 11:46 PM
Edge

Edge looks appalled. Calling him a cleric is a direct smack on the face. He kicks a pebble that bumps with his legs and it flys through the alley impacting the wall with a loud jarring noise.

"Tch, clerics, paladins, healers. I'm not so tight like those puissants who receive their boons from their deities or sanctifications from the pope. This is my own power, it is mine to do as I will, mine to shape into whatever I desire. The aforementioned callings believed that the gods are the only solution to their whole life but had they understand the truth beyond this fabric of reality, then they would know that the same gods that they worship also derived their power from the grand design itself which is what I used to heal you."

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-07, 12:00 AM
Banelle

The halfling listens intently.

"Hmm. I'm not sure I understood all of what you just said, but it sounds interesting."

Looking thoughtfully at the ground, the halfling speaks up.

"Where I'm from, my people didn't have a very organized religion. When we were forced into the cities, some people took to the common churches, but most of us just got depressed and felt alienated. I was very young at the time, and didn't really appreciate what was lost until I was older."

I wonder what I believe in.

Yas392
2013-03-07, 03:21 AM
Edge

Edge looks to the side, saying something as though he read his mind.

"I think it's better to believe in what you think is the best. I mean it's subtle craving of what makes you happy. If I was a person subjected primarily to magical experimentations or a person whose beginning was slavery, it is best to believe in what urges you forward, what makes you want to live, the reason in you that denies death..We all have motivations. It was that motivation that I am still here and so are you. Don't you ever give up that thought."

He makes a fist, his eyes are burning with determination, turning and directing a finger at Banelle. The dimness that brightens the area causes him to look at the sign. We're here.

"I believe it's time to make amends for our troubles."

Edge moves to the door and rattles it.

IamL
2013-03-07, 06:26 AM
The alchemist answers the door. "Yes? Oh, it's you two. Hello. I was just cleaning up a bit after our...accident."

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-07, 12:08 PM
Banelle

The halfling smiles bashfully.

"Yeah. Really sorry about that, by the way. I was in a really big hurry, and I was pretty sure I could just squeeze past you without slowing down. That's not quite how it worked out."

Shifting awkwardly from foot to foot and looking at the floor for a moment, the halfling looks up at the Alchemist.

"I hope you weren't hurt too badly?"

IamL
2013-03-07, 12:28 PM
"No, I'm in mortal danger," replies the alchemist sarcastically. He smiles, then says, "I'm alright. I'd be a little more worried about yourself," he says, looking over your wounds. Even though Geed healed your most serious wounds, you're still bleeding a bit and you look pretty bad.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-07, 12:34 PM
Banelle

"Hmm, I guess you're right. You wouldn't happen to have any bandages and such that I could...um...borrow?"

The halfling is trying to be friendly, but clearly not having an easy time of it, scratching his head, shuffling his feet, and generally seeming ill at ease.

IamL
2013-03-07, 04:03 PM
He nods, turns, then scampers off, gesturing for you to come in. He's rather nimble for his venerability, and he leads you a medical supply area. He takes three or four large bandages and wraps them around your shoulders, where the shuriken hit. His brow furrows as he moves to apply them, however. "What were you doing playing around with shuriken?" he asks.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-07, 04:17 PM
Banelle

" 'Playing' isn't really the word that I would have used for it. The short person that was spying on us at the inn introduced me to a couple of his pointy friends when we finally caught up with him."

The halfling winces.

"I was lucky he wasn't trying to actually kill me; he seemed to intentionally miss. I can hardly imagine why."

Banelle stifles a yawn, as the last of the adrenaline from the chase peters away. He stares blankly at the floor as the Alchemist finishes binding the wounds.

Suddenly, he comes to.

"Oh, I just realized we were never properly introduced. My name is Banelle."

IamL
2013-03-07, 04:41 PM
"And I'm the alchemist," he replies.

Bartimaeus5: As you finish climbing up the steep mountain pass at the end of your five-day trek from the Elven port city Hikal, you realize how late it is. The wind blows rather strongly and the chill is deep, yet another harbinger of the coming autumn. The mining town of Dusgard is compact, which you would expect for a city built on a ledge on the world's fifth highest mountain.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-07, 04:45 PM
Banelle

"Fair enough. The guy over there is Geed; we're working together on some jobs."

The halfling tests out the bandaging, and is satisfied, lacing back up his leather armour.

This Alchemist seems to know what he is doing. I'll have to keep him in mind if things go south.

IamL
2013-03-07, 04:48 PM
"And I figure I'd be treated to a pack of lies larger than this mountain if I asked what kind of job, no? But that doesn't really matter. If either of you gets yourself cut up, give me a holler and I'll help you out. There's healing salve on those bandages, by the way. It'll work its way through the average person's system in about ten hours, but, given your slight frame, I'd figure around eight."

(triple healing rate during an 8-hour rest)

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-07, 04:53 PM
Banelle

"Well I'm a pretty terrible liar, so I'd probably just hush up," the halfling replies with a smile. "Thanks for the healing, by the way. How much do I owe you?"

IamL
2013-03-07, 04:55 PM
"That salve is a dime a dozen. Don't worry about it, just don't spill any more acid on your way out," he replies.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-07, 06:19 PM
Banelle

"Well, thanks again, Sir."

The halfling looks around the shop for a moment, then turns to Geed.

"Hey, Geed, I'm gonna go check out a couple things before heading back to my room at the inn. I'll meet you back there."

The halfling ducks out of the shop and heads back to the main street of the town.

Wanna be able to get a good sleep tonight.

Beginning to sprint up and down the street, Banelle jumps around and runs in an effort to burn off some energy. After several minutes of heavy exertion, he is pretty tired out. He heads back to the inn, thankful that the cold night air has kept him from breaking out into a sweaty mess.

Yas392
2013-03-07, 06:28 PM
Edge

Edge nods as Banelle introduced him, following him inside.

Ouch

While Banelle was being bandaged, he winces as he feels his legs buckle under pressure.

"If you do not mind another patient for the night, Alchemist, would be kind to treat this one's needs? Our target had not left us all free from the condition that is hazardous to our health."

He collapses on the floor, energies spent.

IamL
2013-03-07, 06:43 PM
The alchemist nods. "Sure. What happened to you?"

Bartimaeus5
2013-03-07, 06:43 PM
Mal

Maladcit groans as he reaches the end of his ascent, wiping the sweat out of his face, he eyes the town spread out below him.

"There we go, Lady. The t-town of Dusgard"

Lady the Eagle calls softly in response and settles on Mal's arm, her beak gently caressing his nose.

"I know, I wouldn't wish to set f-foot in there either, but I have to resupply. I'm g-growing weary of only eating game."

With a grunt, the tender elf begins his long descent towards the town. Slightly unnerved by the prospect of leaving nature and entering a big settlement, he talks to his bird, explaining about the various herbs and trees they pass on thier way to Dusgard.

Yas392
2013-03-07, 07:01 PM
Edge

"Trying to keep that midget from causing too much trouble and from that chase had taken a toll on my body. I have a bit trouble getting up and moving now."

He tries to stand up but wobbles, falling down on his bottom.

IamL
2013-03-07, 07:04 PM
He nods, then strolls back to the medical supply area, carrying a vial of yellow liquid.
"This'll work wonders on tired bones. You'll be fine after this."

IamL
2013-03-07, 07:06 PM
Bartimaeus5:Your descent is uneventful, and you find yourself smack dab at the beginning of main street. There are buildings to your left and right, but most of them are regular homes.

Yas392
2013-03-07, 07:06 PM
Edge

"Thank you."

Edge gazes at him, eyes full of gratefulness.

"So, should I come in early morrow?"

IamL
2013-03-07, 07:08 PM
"Yes. I won't be here, I have to get to a settlement on the bottom of the mountain to get a component for one of my potions. But the door will be unlocked, and I'll have left instructions."

Yas392
2013-03-07, 07:12 PM
Edge

"Can I have that troublesome rascal around to help me as well? He seems to be needing some grub to starve off his enthusiasm..."

IamL
2013-03-07, 07:14 PM
"Sure, but make sure he doesn't steal anything important," he replies with a :smallwink:

Yas392
2013-03-07, 07:19 PM
Edge

"Don't worry about, I'll make sure he does not cross the line if I have to. Anyways, I need to head off. Getting some sleep to get that migraine off. Thanks, once again."

He winks back, waving, emptying the contents down his mouth before heading to the main district where his inn is.

Ahh!

He feels a force agaisnt him and for the third time, he lands on his bottom.

"Hey, watch where you going, mate."

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-07, 07:30 PM
Banelle

The halfling quietly approaches the inn where Geed's room is located.

Hide- taking 10= 10+10=20
Move Silently- taking 10= 10+9=19

EDIT:
Banelle may well have seen the newcomer druid as well, though it is dark.

Bartimaeus5
2013-03-07, 07:32 PM
Mal

Maladict walks the streets of Dusgard, looking lost and out of place. Slowly walking up the street he's making a mental checklist of the supplys he intends to purchase. His thoughts are interrupted by the peculiar sight of the bloodied and bandaged Halfling sprinting up and down the street.

I'll never understand those citydwellers. Mal thought to himself. Clearly the choatic urban lifestyle of this place has driven the poor soul mad.

As the halfling starts walking back to the inn, Maladict calls out to face him.

"E-e-excuse me s-sir. A-are you in n-need of a-aid?" asks Mal. his facial experssion one of worried concern. As the halfling turns to him he begins regretting his question. The shy and reserved elf does not interect well with strangers, espcially in a place he feels so uncomfotrable in. Already he misses the reassuring presence of Lady on his arm.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-07, 07:39 PM
Banelle

Spot- [roll0]

"Oh, hi, I didn't see you..."

The halfling was clearly lost in the moment while running, not expecting company out in the night air.

"Umm, no, I'm fine. I just...," the halfling hesitates for a moment before coming to a decision. "I just have trouble sleeping at night. I find that some exercise helps, to a degree. Thanks for asking though."

Bartimaeus5
2013-03-07, 08:03 PM
Mal

"I s-see, I'm not in the habit of seeing m-many n-nocturnal runners." Mal replies, his demeanor still tense, but slightly more relaxed by the halfling's honesty and openess. "As you m-may have n-noticed, I am not much of a c-c-c-city person" Mal's face show sign of a brief internal struggle as he boldly asks "Could you a-assit me in the p-purchase of s-some supplies ? I'm afraid I'm out of m-my depth in large c-c-city such as this."

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-07, 08:12 PM
Banelle

(as Geed bumps into Mal)

"Geed, why hello again!"

Bartimaeus5
2013-03-07, 08:30 PM
Mal

As Edge bumps into Mal, the startled Druid lets off a yelp. His entire body poised for flight. He turns to face Edge " I a-apologize, s-sir" Mal replies, completly taken aback by the human's attitude. Maladict takes half a step backwards, his eyes darting around as if he was a trapped animal.

Yas392
2013-03-07, 08:32 PM
Edge

"It would be great if you had not ran off, there's gold back there"

He rolls his eyes, his demeanor shifting back to neutrality.

"No, you're out of luck. They are closed an hour ago."

His voice resonates behind the man. As he turns around, tone stuttering, he assures him with a click of his tongue.

"Tch, don't be afraid, it is my fault for not seeing you on the way. Blame my short-sightness."

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-07, 08:44 PM
Banelle

"Indeed, if you are looking to buy supplies at one of the stores, then you'd best come during the daylight. If you are just looking to get some food, there are a number of establishments that serve meals; I'm sure some of them are still open."

The halfling attempts to figure out what might be going on with the elf.

Sense Motive- [roll0]
Spot- take 10= 10+7=17

Bartimaeus5
2013-03-07, 08:46 PM
Mal

"Ahh, t-thank you." Mal says, still slowly retreating backwards "I have to g-go and, umm, yeah.." he breaks off. Maladict, feeling uncomfortable enough in the presence of strangers, unused to being physically assaulted by strangers, wishes to leave the city and return tomorrow at dawn. When he could conduct his business without interacting with many people.

IamL
2013-03-07, 08:47 PM
You figure that he is a druid, and one more socially inept than your average druid is, at that. You think that he's not really comfortable in the city, far more comfortable in the wild.

Yas392
2013-03-07, 09:05 PM
Edge

The druid is cowering. He glances to the rogue.

"Banelle, I think we should help him get room for now. Look at him, he is terrified."

He motions to the druid. His disposition becomes one of friendly.

"You are welcome to joins us for the night unless you insist on being more at home with forest out there."

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-07, 09:14 PM
Banelle

"Are you sure? I'd be happy to get you a room at the inn, it's actually pretty nice, and you can stay by yourself until morning, if you don't want company."

The halfling tries to spin it in the best light possible.

"If you really want to leave, no one is stopping you, of course; I prefer the outdoors as well. But I think you'll find that it's not as bad as you fear."

I could stand to be more convincing.

Bartimaeus5
2013-03-08, 03:32 AM
Mal

High in the air above the town an eagle calls out from the sky. Maladict seems reassured by the cry. Thinking of how his avian friend would think of him a fool"I'm s-sorry for taking f-fright. As you can see I'm a bit t-tense." Maladict composes himslef and continues to say "I'm afraid I am not so good with c-c-city people." he gives off a shy smile. "I would appreciate if you help me negotiate the r-renting of a room for the night." he says. This is not as hard as I thought it would be, with those nice people help I might actually sleeep IN the c-city. Even in his thoughts, Maladict has some problem with the concept of sleeping in Dusgard, however he is excited about his self-proclaimed braveness. Being raised in the woods, his survival skills were always good enough to allow him to sleep outdoors, he has never slept inside a settlement bigger then a small village and is curious of how citydwellers Inns look like.

Yas392
2013-03-08, 05:40 AM
Edge

Edge shivers from the night's breeze. As he steps inside the compound, leading to the innkeeper, all of his worries are dispelled by the fire dancing in light. The hardened air greets its guests with cordial thoughts made reality and its gentile waves makes him feels more home like at his aunts. The dead hours does not disallow alluring strings of fragrance from eliminating nearly all your senses, it is acceptable yet mediore to his tastes. All these managed by a shining torch of dazzling sunshine. A petit lass but nonetheless hardworking.

"Hello there, can you check in this outstanding youth, miss? He seems to have lost his way through the bumbles and nooks."

Edge adopts a charmy, delicate visage.

IamL
2013-03-08, 06:46 AM
"Absolutely. Usual rate, five silver a day," she replies.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-08, 07:33 AM
Banelle

"Nice to meet you, my name is Banelle," the halfling says to the elf with a gesture of greeting. "I'm new in town, too, so I'll need some help getting used to it as well."

Banelle smiles at the elf, and the copper-toned halfling finds himself liking the druid.

"Don't worry about being nervous. Crowds of Tall Folk can make me feel awkward, too. You'll get used to it, I'm sure."

Relaxing and almost yawning, Banelle glances around, and seems just about ready to hit the sack.

"Will you be alright sleeping alone in your room?"

Bartimaeus5
2013-03-08, 08:22 AM
Mal

"Nice to meet you too, Banelle." says Mal, he is clearly feeling more comfortable with odd pair. "My name is Maladict."

Maladict enters the inn, feeling slightly claustrophobic, he seems to find comfort in staying close to the walls. He walks up to a nearby window and opens it, visibily reassured by the night's breeze.

Mal is clearly embarrased by Edge's outgoing nature. He just nods at the lass, allowing his newfound friends to sort out all social interaction while he inspects the interior of the inn from his vantage point by the window.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-08, 12:00 PM
Banelle

"Anyway, you're welcome to knock on my door if you need anything. I'll show you which room I'm staying in."

The halfling attempts to not stare directly at the elf, but clearly to Banelle the elf is the most interesting person present.

"What brings you to town, Maladict?"

Bartimaeus5
2013-03-08, 01:07 PM
Mal

Maladict follows Banelle, taking note of the locatin of the halfling's room. "I'm in need of some supplies, spices and the like. " he replies. Maladict explains his lifestyle to Banelle "I live off the ground but sometimes I require things that can only be purchased, I do any assortments of odd jobs every now and then to earn money but I've reached the end of my funds so I intend to search for a task I can preform for someone in this c-city" as Maladict confidence grows when talking to Banelle, his stutter is gradually fading.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-08, 01:46 PM
Banelle

"Cool, that sounds a bit like me. I survive in various places, but from time to time, I need to...relocate.... For personal reasons, if you catch my meaning," the halfling says, with a wink. "While relocating, I gradually use up my savings, until I have to find a place to settle down for a while and find some jobs to do."

The halfling stifles a yawn.

"Anyway, we can talk more in the morning. I am eager to hear more about your travels and the wild areas around here. Good night."

The halfling opens the door to his room, secures it behind him, and proceeds to get ready for bed.

Too sleepy to remove my armour. But I should place some daggers close at hand.

The copper-toned halfling removes an almost humourous number of daggers from hiding places across his body, placing them on a table beside the bed, reflecting as he does on the events of the day.

Gonna have to get my dagger back from the spy. Grrr....

The halfling sighs out loud.

Time to relax, though.

Placing a dagger under his pillow, another under the mattress, and a third on the floor where he'd end up if he rolled out of bed (away from the door) quickly, the halfling lies down.

Fortitude DC 15 save to fall asleep (Insomniac flaw).
+2 fatigued (running around)
+4 comfortable bed (inn)
+2 total mod to Fortitude
= [roll0]
Yeah, a failure. This means my character is awake for part of the night, and sleeps poorly in general, since that might come up if anything happens during the night.