PDA

View Full Version : Abjurant Champion Dysfuntion.

LanSlyde
2013-02-10, 12:04 PM
So has anyone else noticed that that Abjurant Armor. The Champions signature ability, doesn't actually affect Mage Armor spells? Spells that are mentioned as being relied upon by Abjurant Champions instead of actual armor.

Bearlock
2013-02-10, 12:16 PM
Yeah I remember when it was first published it took people a little bit to realize that. I know that Mage Armor was houseruled to work by some people, dependent on how many splat books they were using. The new staple was Luminous Armor I believe, though I'm not exactly sure what the source for that was.

Darrin
2013-02-10, 12:18 PM
So has anyone else noticed that that Abjurant Armor. The Champions signature ability, doesn't actually affect Mage Armor spells? Spells that are mentioned as being relied upon by Abjurant Champions instead of actual armor.

Yes, this is a commonly known flub. The designer goofed this up, and the editors either didn't catch it or care enough to go fix it later. Shield works, as do the luminous armor spells in BoED.

Many DMs houserule mage armor to work because it's mentioned specifically in the class description, and they consider this as the designer's intent.

LanSlyde
2013-02-10, 12:25 PM
Yes, this is a commonly known flub. The designer goofed this up, and the editors either didn't catch it or care enough to go fix it later. Shield works, as do the luminous armor spells in BoED.

Many DMs houserule mage armor to work because it's mentioned specifically in the class description, and they consider this as the designer's intent.

Right, I assumed as much. Still, something I felt I needed to point out after building my Duskblade13/Abjurant Champion 5/ Argent Savant2.

herrhauptmann
2013-02-10, 06:50 PM
If this doesn't fly with your DM, research a copy of Mage Armor that's an abjuration spell.
This is particularly good if you've already started your game, banned conjuration, then discovered the PrC.

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-10, 07:11 PM
I believe the Complete Mage errata said to remove mage armour from the list of suggested spells in that class feature.

Luminous armour is from Book of Exalted Deeds, requires some sacrifice component strength damage (taken when the spell expires), and is a very powerful protective effect (though completely worthless if you want to be stealthy).

There are a couple other spells that work with this. The most notable is deflect from PHB2, which can give you a very formidable boost at high levels (if you have CL=HD, that is), even without CL optimization tricks.

Zman
2013-02-10, 10:37 PM
I believe the Complete Mage errata said to remove mage armour from the list of suggested spells in that class feature.

Luminous armour is from Book of Exalted Deeds, requires some sacrifice component strength damage (taken when the spell expires), and is a very powerful protective effect (though completely worthless if you want to be stealthy).

There are a couple other spells that work with this. The most notable is deflect from PHB2, which can give you a very formidable boost at high levels (if you have CL=HD, that is), even without CL optimization tricks.

I quick reread Deflect and Lesser Deflect and for an instance thought they could be persisted, and man, would that be broken with Abjurant Champion.

If your DM oks it, Luminous Armor and Shield are plenty to send an Abjurant Champions AC through the roof. I usually just stick to Shield, netting +10 AC on top of an already fantastic PrC is a bit much.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-02-10, 10:50 PM
I quick reread Deflect and Lesser Deflect and for an instance thought they could be persisted, and man, would that be broken with Abjurant Champion.

If your DM oks it, Luminous Armor and Shield are plenty to send an Abjurant Champions AC through the roof. I usually just stick to Shield, netting +10 AC on top of an already fantastic PrC is a bit much.

It only applies to deflect - for some odd reason, lesser deflect gives you a deflection bonus to AC, while deflect is a true shield bonus.

LanSlyde
2013-02-11, 12:53 PM

Probably gonna grab both shield and luminous armor. Mostly because being bathed in armor of light is kinda awesome. That said, does anybody know when you take the Str dmg from the sacrifice component? Is it at its casting or at the end of the duration?

Cranthis
2013-02-11, 01:01 PM
Probably gonna grab both shield and luminous armor. Mostly because being bathed in armor of light is kinda awesome. That said, does anybody know when you take the Str dmg from the sacrifice component? Is it at its casting or at the end of the duration?

It happens on a successful casting, and lasts for the duration of the spell.

LanSlyde
2013-02-11, 01:03 PM

Right, so keep that wand of lesser restoration handy. Gotcha.

hymer
2013-02-11, 01:13 PM

I think not:

The sacrifice occurs when the spell's duration expires.

Cranthis
2013-02-11, 01:15 PM
I think not:

I must have read it wrong.

hymer
2013-02-11, 01:25 PM
You had me convinced enough to go look it up. :smallsmile:

Greenish
2013-02-11, 01:38 PM
So has anyone else noticed…There are about 7 billion people in the world. Complete Mage was published in 2006. Approximately 0.81 Sean Beans die every year. The last fact is unrelated.

LanSlyde
2013-02-11, 02:40 PM
There are about 7 billion people in the world. Complete Mage was published in 2006. Approximately 0.81 Sean Beans die every year. The last fact is unrelated.

The question has been resolved. Your snark is unneeded. :smallannoyed:

Venger
2013-02-11, 03:05 PM
if only he had been wearing some mage armor. maybe he would be less of a statistic (http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2gtmwS32T1qcv9zpo1_500.jpg)

Flickerdart
2013-02-11, 03:26 PM
Approximately 0.81 Sean Beans die every year.
Do you think fewer Sean Beans would die if his characters could cast Mage Armor?

Greenish
2013-02-11, 03:34 PM
Do you think fewer Sean Beans would die if his characters could cast Mage Armor?Almost certainly. If we look into the causes of death of Sean Beans, an inordinate number of them are related to things you could avoid with decent AC.

lsfreak
2013-02-11, 03:37 PM
if only he had been wearing some mage armor. maybe he would be less of a statistic (http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2gtmwS32T1qcv9zpo1_500.jpg)

(Source is Rock Paper Cynic (http://www.rockpapercynic.com/index.php?date=2012-04-13). Unrelated to OP, but I hatehatehate images that cut out the source).