PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Archetypes: What is an Orc?

Screech-*Lime*
2013-02-10, 01:24 PM
So, I recently discovered the Scarred Witch Doctor archetype, which, for those who don't know, is a constitution-based caster, but I'm not entirely sold on playing an Orc again. There's a tiny bit of ambiguity as to what counts as an Orc for the purpose of archetypes:

A Half-Orc has the "Orc" subtype, but I'm not sure if it can qualify for Orc feats, because there exist some feats that only specify "Orc" as a prerequisite, and some that specify "Orc or Half-Orc" as prerequisites. Why would they specify both for some feats if a Half-Orc always counted as an Orc?
There are also Archetypes that are (RAW) only meant for Half-Orcs (such as the Paladin's "Redeemer"), which implies that the Scarred Witch Doctor is not available to Half-Orcs.

The other possibility for a non-Orc qualifying as an Orc is a Human with Racial Heritage (Orc), which does specifically mention allowing the Human to qualify for Orc feats and "effects." Are prerequisites for archetypes "effects?"

I know the stock answer is just "ask your GM, if he's not a jerk he'll be OK with it," but I'd like to know for my own sanity whether a Racial Heritage Human or a Half-Orc qualifying for the Scarred Witch Doctor archetype is 100% rules-legal.

Bearlock
2013-02-10, 01:41 PM
By RAW

Orc Blood: Half-orcs count as both humans and orcs for any effect related to race.

So yes.

Benefit: Choose another humanoid race. You count as both human and that race for any effects related to race. For example, if you choose dwarf, you are considered both a human and a dwarf for the purpose of taking traits, feats, how spells and magic items affect you, and so on.

So yes.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-02-10, 02:16 PM
Half-Orc qualifies. Human and Half-Elf w/ the feat qualify. Aasimar with Scion of Humanity variant and the feat might qualify, too.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-02-10, 02:26 PM
My initial reaction was no because it seemed a little cheesy to play a human and take an Orc class archetype. Then I thought about it, and a player could also make it work in terms of fluff/backstory, so there isn't any real conflict there. If I was a DM, I would say yes, but to make sure you took into account the Orc part of your character if you played that. I'd expect at least one "Orks Orks Orks Orks, Orks Orks Orks Orks" while we were playing.

Also, looking at the FAQ:
On racial heritage (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fn#v5748eaic9pka)
On favored class options (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fn#v5748eaic9n86)

You can totally play a half-orc scarred witch doctor.