PDA

View Full Version : Awwakkule [Little People, PF race, Vespuccia]

Admiral Squish
2013-02-10, 04:09 PM
Awwakkule
Designed for Vespuccia (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269334)

Personality: Awwakkule are widely varied in temperament. One common trait among most clans is that they all have a sense of humor. They enjoy pranks and most can appreciate a joke. Some are cruel at times, others save their pranks for those who have done wrong, others are harmless jokers.
Physical Description: Awwakkule have some cultural differences in hair, clothing, and jewelry, but they stand between two and three feet tall. They look like, essentially, miniature native americans, standing between two and three feet in height. Some clans wear their hair long enough to touch the ground. Others prize jewelry of silver and turquoise. Others carry pouches of medicinal herbs and seeds. but they all have relatively similar cultures to their native neighbors. Traditionally, attractive or handsome awwakkule have been chosen from among the communities as representatives to talk to mortals. They are extremely stealthy, capable of going unnoticed in a wide variety of natural lands.
Relations: Awwakkule interact with humans in a number of ways. Some are friendly. Others are unfriendly. Some are well-meaning pranksters, others are to be feared, others simply teach those who go astray the error of their ways. But as the empires encroach on all sides, many awwakkule clans are re-evaluating their policies on interacting with the humans. Many have come out from their hiding to cooperate openly with the tribes of the locals. Thunder Clan, in particular, has turned their attention from the natives to the colonists on both coasts.
Alignment: Most Awwakkule are neutral in at least one axis of the alignment chart. Extreme alignments are uncommon.
{table=head]|L|N|C
G|5|15|5
N|15|20|15
E|5|15|5[/table]
Awwakkule Lands: The awwakkule dwell everywhere, in nearly every type of terrain, from east coast to west coast. Many live far from the nearest tribes of humans, but others live close by, remaining hidden but for the most dire of situations.
Religion: Awwakkule are often regarded as spirits, but in truth, they are just like humans, just a different sort, with a handful of magical tricks. They revere the great spirit, and spirits of nature, like most natives.
Language: The awwakkule speak their own language, which has different accents and dialects from one clan to another, heavily influenced by the native tongues in the area. Most awwakkule learn the language of the tribes living closest to them.
Names: Awwakkule names are part title, part descriptor. Usually an awwakkule performs some task to be accepted as an adult, and this task and how they accomplish it is described in their name.
Adventurers: Awwakkule adventurers were rarely well-known, due to their propensity to remain secretive and stealthy. In more recent times, they are becoming more common as the tribes come out of secrecy to mingle more freely with their neighbors.

+2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, -2 Constitution. Awwakkule are quick and usually wise, but their small frames cannot take the punishment of larger folk.
Type: Awwakkule are humanoids with the Awwakkule subtype.
Small Size: Awwakkule are small creatures and gain a +1 size bonus to their AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a -1 penalty to their Combat Maneuver Bonus and Combat Maneuver Defense, and a +4 size bonus on size checks.
Slow Speed: Awwakkule have a base speed of 20 feet.
Darkvision: Awwakkule can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
Walk Unseen: Awwakkule are stealthy beings, very secretive. They can make hide checks in any natural, unworked environment, even if the environment does not provide cover or concealment.
Clans: Awwakkule is one of many names for little people. Little people are a highly diverse group that live very different lives from one another. They are divided into clans, each of which have slightly different abilities. Choose one clan at character creation.
Rock Clan: Rock Clan are craftsmen who live in caves on rocky mountainsides and enjoy music. They have long hair that nearly reaches the ground, and they are known to guide friendly, respectful visitors through the mountains, though unpleasant visitors get treated with pelted stones. They gain a +2 racial bonus on Craft and Perform checks.
Magic Stones: A Rock Clan can use Magic Stone as a spell like ability a number of times per day equal to their wisdom modifier. For every 5 HD they possess, the enhancement bonus on the rocks increases by +1. (+2 at 5 HD, +3 at 10 HD, etc)
Tree Clan: Tree Clan are guardians of animals and nature that dwell in the trees in the deep forests. They punish those who abuse or mistreat the animals, though they can guide well-mannered hunters home once again. They gain a +2 racial bonus to Handle Animal and Knowledge (Nature) checks.
Words of Wolves: A number of times per day equal to their wisdom modifier, a Tree Clan can cast Speak with Animals as a spell like ability.
Laurel Clan: Laurel Clan are the tenders of plants and healing herbs. They dwell in subterranean warrens, their hidden entrances marked by laurel bushes. They are known to keep gardens of herbs and replant the forests after fires and other disasters. They gain a +2 racial bonus to Heal and Knowledge (Nature) checks.
Healing Herbs: A Laurel Clan can use the herbs and seeds they carry with them to create poultices and herbs. With one minute of effort, they can create a salve. The salve remains potent for one hour, and can be used as a full-round action. The salve heals the creature it is applied to 1d6+wisdom HP, plus 1d6 for every 5 HD they possess. They can create a number of salves per day equal to their wisdom modifier.
Dogwood Clan: Dogwood Clan are extremely kind and benevolent beings who reside in forests near human settlements. They have a great sensitivity to the balance of the world. The dogwoods they plant flourish when everything is in harmony. They gain a +2 racial bonus to Diplomacy and Sense Motive checks
Peace-Smoke: A Dogwood Clan can create a 10-foot radius cloud of sweet-smelling tobacco smoke a number of times per day equal to their wisdom modifier, centered on any point within Close range. The cloud provides concealment to all creature more than 5 feet away. Any creature within the smoke must make a fortitude save (DC 10+½ HD + Wis mod) or be affected as though by a Calm Emotions spell.
Thunder Clan: Thunder Clan are less benevolent than most other little people. They dwell on mountain peaks where clouds touch the earth, and they believe that humanity is something that needs to be kept in check, and they orchestrate disasters when they overstep. They gain a +2 racial bonus to Intimidate and Knowledge (Nature) checks.
Storm Crow: A Thunder Clan can create a tiny thunderbird storm to hinder a single opponent within close range. The storm follows the target however they move, and inflicts a -1 penalty to attack rolls, skill checks, and ability checks as wind and rain interfere with their actions. This penalty increases by one for every 5 HD they possess. The storm lasts for up to one minute, but the Thunder Clan can make the storm produce a lightning bolt to deal 1d6 points of electricity damage to the target, plus 1d6 for every 5 HD they possess. After discharging the thunderbolt, the storm immediately dissipates. The Thunder Clan can create this sort of storm a number of times per day equal to their wisdom modifier.
Mound Clan: Mound clan are warriors more than all the other clans. They reside in large caverns under hills, mounds, and mountains. In the east, they are extremely friendly and helpful to their neighbors, but in the west their mounds are regarded with fear. They gain a +2 racial bonus to Intimidate and Survival checks.
Mighty Strikes: A Mound Clan can increase the damage dealt by an appropriately-sized weapon. As a swift action, usable a number of times per day equal to your wisdom modifier, your next attack deals damage as though the weapon used were one size category larger. The damage increases by an additional size category for every 5 HD they possess, to a maximum of colossal.

Languages: An Awwakkule begins play speaking awwakkule.

Admiral Squish
2013-02-10, 04:11 PM
Feats:

(coming soon)

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-02-10, 05:01 PM
Based on Pygmies?

Also. How do you pronounce that?

Admiral Squish
2013-02-10, 05:08 PM
Based on Pygmies?

Also. How do you pronounce that?

Based on Little People in Native American folklore (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_people_%28mythology%29#Native_American_folk lore) There's a lot of material from a lot of different sources getting blended together in these guys.

I honestly don't know for sure. I'm guessing it's kinda like 'Aw-wah-kuh-koo-lay'.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-02-10, 05:12 PM
Based on Little People in Native American folklore (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_people_%28mythology%29#Native_American_folk lore) There's a lot of material from a lot of different sources getting blended together in these guys.

I honestly don't know for sure. I'm guessing it's kinda like 'Aw-wah-kuh-koo-lay'.

Ah, worry, just dropped in, didn't realize this was so heavily based on RL.

Admiral Squish
2013-02-10, 09:02 PM
Ah, worry, just dropped in, didn't realize this was so heavily based on RL.

Did I sound like I snapped at you? If I did, forgive me, that was not the intent.

I don't know if it technically counts as 'Real Life', considering we're talking about little people.

SuperDave
2013-02-11, 11:41 PM
It's gonna be really hard for players to step outside the obvious Rastafarian jokes if one of the PCs is a member of the Dogwood Clan. Just sayin'.

"Storm in a Teacup" is a very English saying. What's a more Native-sounding way to say it?

Admiral Squish
2013-02-12, 09:47 PM
It's gonna be really hard for players to step outside the obvious Rastafarian jokes if one of the PCs is a member of the Dogwood Clan. Just sayin'.

"Storm in a Teacup" is a very English saying. What's a more Native-sounding way to say it?

Yeah, that's gonna happen. But let's be honest, any mention of smoking the peace-pipe is gonna get that kind of reaction.

As for the storm in a teacup, that's the only thing that came to mind. Any ideas for names?

Frathe
2013-02-13, 01:26 PM
As for the storm in a teacup, that's the only thing that came to mind. Any ideas for names?

It's generic, but "Miniature Thunderstorm".

Edit: Or "Tiny Thunder".

Admiral Squish
2013-02-13, 06:14 PM
It's generic, but "Miniature Thunderstorm".

Edit: Or "Tiny Thunder".

I made it 'little storm bringer'.

Anyone else have anything to add?

Midwoka
2013-02-14, 09:48 AM
Physical Description: Awwakkule have some cultural differences in hair, clothing, and jewelry, but they stand between two and three feet tall. They look like, essentially, miniature natives, standing between two and three feet in height.

You should probably specify that they look like miniature native Americans, to avoid confusion. Like CheeseMan, I thought of Pygmies at first, and then I figured you meant natives of wherever-they're-from-in-setting (which didn't help me visualize them, since I had no clue about Vespuccian natives!).

And for the Thunder Clan power, I suggest calling it Storm Crow (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_Crow) =)

Admiral Squish
2013-02-14, 09:58 AM
You should probably specify that they look like miniature native Americans, to avoid confusion. Like CheeseMan, I thought of Pygmies at first, and then I figured you meant natives of wherever-they're-from-in-setting (which didn't help me visualize them, since I had no clue about Vespuccian natives!).

And for the Thunder Clan power, I suggest calling it Storm Crow (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_Crow) =)

Valid point, it is done.

Hmm. I could see a really cool visual of the stormclouds being vaguely thunderbird-shaped, actually.

SuperDave
2013-03-14, 07:49 AM
I've been thinking about trying to draw these guys, and an important question arises: what kind of proportions do they have? Are they like real-life little people, with torsos that are proportionally larger than "normal"-sized people? Are they like D&D halflings, with slightly elongated skulls? Like children? Chibis? Or do they have the proportions of normal adult humans, the only difference being their height?

Admiral Squish
2013-03-15, 12:29 AM
I've been thinking about trying to draw these guys, and an important question arises: what kind of proportions do they have? Are they like real-life little people, with torsos that are proportionally larger than "normal"-sized people? Are they like D&D halflings, with slightly elongated skulls? Like children? Chibis? Or do they have the proportions of normal adult humans, the only difference being their height?

All the myths say they look just like humans, but that could just be because they don't look SIGNIFICANTLY different from humans. Suffice to say, they should look, for the most part, like three-foot-tall humans. Some minor differences might be good, but I'll leave the exact ones up to you. Maybe they have big hands or longer heads or child-like proportions. It's at your discretion.