PDA

View Full Version : What are some of the most ingenious things PCs have created in game

lunchbox201
2013-02-10, 04:17 PM
I ask this question with a specific example in mind.
one player showed up to the group one night after weeks of working on a "secret weapon" he presented us with "Mini Nukes" for D&D. by taking small bags of holding and small rolled up portable holes and attaching them to arrows or crossbow bolts in such a manner that when the arrow/bolt impacts a target the portable whole is pushed into the bag of holding and obliterating everything in a 10 ft radius of the impact sight. of coarse he had all the details worked out on how much it cost how to make them what skills were needed how they functioned and to what effect they had.
of coarse this threw our DM for a total loop and i was wondering if anyone else has had these sort of things happen?

Norin
2013-02-10, 04:20 PM
Sorry, your guy stole that off this motivational poster that has been on the web for ages:

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s720x720/522630_10150900661888625_829178624_12894060_157796 545_n.jpg

Not very ingenious and original of him i suppose... Unless your friend is indeed this Alex person who made that pic? :smallwink:

lunchbox201
2013-02-10, 04:46 PM
Fair enough i had never seen the motivational poster before although my friend is an engineer/rules Nazi and had some very sound game mechanics for it i am sure like all great inventions the idea hadn't been original to the world but to us it was. my original motive behind this post was to see what other ideas players have come up with that push the limits beyond the basic uses for items found with in the tomes of Dungeons and Dragons. To clarify i am not nor is my friend taking credit for the idea in anyway shape or form but using it as an example for the ingenuity of players everywhere. My humble apologies for the miss understanding.

AuraTwilight
2013-02-10, 05:13 PM
I once had a guy figure out he could use scores of skeletons to create a computing device without having seen the relevant /tg/ thread.

Goddamn engineers.

Togo
2013-02-10, 06:49 PM
Guys, I assure you that some of us have been using bag of holding/portable hole nukes since before there was an internet capable of displaying motivational pictures. Ideas occur to more than one person.

Troll telegraph is an oldie. Take a troll, chop him Almost in half, and take the peices to two different continents. When you want to send a signal, bisect the larger peice. The smaller peice will instantly start regenerating (Because on a troll, only the main (i.e. largest) peice regenerates.) Instantenous non-magical intercontinental communications that can't be intercepted.

We played one game in which demons were coming back to our victorian Steampunk world. They were intangible to anything that wasn't alive. I think the DMs were hoping for epic personal heroism. What they got was the British navy loading their guns with shellfish, and the .22 cockroach munition. They then clarified that being alive was only part of it, and what mattered was the personal virtue of the people fighting them. This led, step by logical step, to design of the orbital pope bombardment cannon, an orbital college of cardinals combined with a cannon that fired the head of the catholic church at high enough to speeds to leave a half-mile crater on impact. For some reason the Church wasn't too keen...

Derpldorf
2013-02-10, 07:19 PM
I once designed an engine consisting of an Obdurium casing containing a decanter of endless water pushing a turbine. I attached that to a two wheeled device of my own design, I call it a "Motorcycle."

Guizonde
2013-02-10, 07:24 PM
so far, my record is building a pendulum of holy water :smallfrown: just to cover our backsides...

my dm managed to logic bomb his way into a game-breaking paradox by level 12... DnD 2.0 mage is all i know about it. he doesn't want to tell me what it was for fear of replicating the experience.

a friend of mine used a hypnotized monster and 6 slings to get a portable thunderstone gatling gun, which was ingenious but only one-use.

Azoth
2013-02-11, 01:32 AM
Had a player make flashlights by casting light+permanency on a metal disk that fit snugly at the end of a scroll case and a switch that opened a hinged cover on the other end.

Another constructed a tiny mechanical golem with an at will SLA that generated intense heat similar to heat metal but it couldn't affect anything larger than tiny sized so in exchange it could affect any form of material. He put it in a box with holes in it and would tell it how long to use its SLA to heat up meals, or warm his tent/clothes. He basically made a little microwave/space heater golem.

Not OMG impressive, but practical and definitely useful.

IIzak
2013-02-11, 02:27 AM
As an artificer i turned a bag of holding into a bag of summoning ducks just by using craft wonderous item and the summon natures ally spell. (useful for seeing whats up ahead without actually going down the dark hallway that no one seems to be able to see down... seriously, this thing saved the party once)

also created a sword that changes people's hair color when they use it (Did this to someone in the group without anyone but the DM knowing, and the person blamed the DM and yelled at him, it was really funny)

I also made a joke horn we nicknamed "The Horn of Gondor" which summons an orc that will fire arrows at the person who blew the horn until they die.

Kinda of funny things but used correctly, they could be pretty useful, It kinda just depends on what the dm will let you get away with.

(One of my personal favorites was the Boomerang of Wonder. works like the rod of wonder, but its a boomerang, so it had like a call enchantment on it as well lmao)

Seharvepernfan
2013-02-11, 02:31 AM
Have you guys ever heard of the commoner railgun?

Norin
2013-02-11, 03:29 AM

The "handing an item to a person next to you is a free action" stuff? :smallbiggrin:

GenericMook
2013-02-11, 03:41 AM
One of my fellow players made a car once, which ran off steam. I wasn't there for the session that he made it, but I figured it used a Decanter of Endless Water and some fire spell to generate steam.

Jane_Smith
2013-02-11, 04:11 AM
Hm, best thing i have ever seen made was a handgun made using the world of warcraft rpg technology/craft skill rules. A tinkerer in my group made a handgun that only did 1d6 damage, but out to 1000 feet at level 3, and had the alchemist in the group brew the best poisons they could afford. Later on the wizard enchanted it with seeking and would use greater magic weapon, etc on the gun. And made scrolls of true strike for the tinkerer to use with use magic device.

So essentially we had a no penalty out to 10,000 feet range handgun that delivered lotus extract or other extremely deadly poisons to the target that ignores almost all forms of cover and used armor piercing rounds that ignored up to 5 points of hardness/damage reduction. It did not matter if the damage killed the target, which it almost never did, but it was one of the most powerful assassination tools I have ever seen in my life for killing threats beyond even vision range. We had to have the wizard use clairvoyance/etc and his familiar to actually act as "spotters" for the tinkerer.

The funny thing is, using the wow-rpg rules, the tinkerer could have easily made that like a 10d6 damage gun for like 3k more gold. But he did not want to break the game any more then he already was.

(Also in that game I was playing a paladin, who used bless weapon on the gun so it could bypass DR/good, not that great, but meh.)

The Dark Fiddler
2013-02-11, 08:35 AM
My friends aren't that ingenious when it comes to throwing together stuff, but one example of something that was honestly pretty clever was when one player decided to make arrows with Thunderstones are the arrowhead. I allowed them to have a higher DC on whoever was directly hit, in exchange for slightly lower damage.

Krobar
2013-02-11, 09:19 AM
I had a guy create a flamethrower from a decanter of endless water. He used a wish from a luckblade to turn it into a decanter of alchemist's fire. He also had a gnome create a mithril nozzle for it with a 1" inner diameter to increase the range to 100 yrds (using flow rate, pipe diameter, etc., killing a bunch of catgirls in the process), doing 240d6 points of damage (decreasing as the range increased). I didn't tell him the nozzle increased the strength DC to hold on to it significantly, and the first time he used it he was knocked down, "Flammenwerfer" flew from his hands and went rocketing across the forest spewing 30 gallons of alchemist's fire every round (imagine blowing up a balloon and then letting it go, only much much worse). He burned thousands and thousands of acres.

Every druid within a thousand miles came after him for that.

Azoth
2013-02-11, 11:19 AM
My friends aren't that ingenious when it comes to throwing together stuff, but one example of something that was honestly pretty clever was when one player decided to make arrows with Thunderstones are the arrowhead. I allowed them to have a higher DC on whoever was directly hit, in exchange for slightly lower damage.

In the A&E there are thundering arrows which do no damage, but act otherwise the same. As well as a useful version of the Dragon's Breath arrow + an Acid Arrow which I love.

DieRunning
2013-02-11, 06:48 PM
Troll telegraph is an oldie. Take a troll, chop him Almost in half, and take the peices to two different continents. When you want to send a signal, bisect the larger peice. The smaller peice will instantly start regenerating (Because on a troll, only the main (i.e. largest) peice regenerates.) Instantenous non-magical intercontinental communications that can't be intercepted.

Is the result of this that when you first cut the troll (nearly in half) you have a complete troll and slightly less than half a troll, then when you cut the half you bring with you it forms a second troll?
It doesn't seem like either troll would have the knowledge of the other gained after the split.

TuggyNE
2013-02-11, 06:51 PM
Is the result of this that when you first cut the troll (nearly in half) you have a complete troll and slightly less than half a troll, then when you cut the half you bring with you it forms a second troll?
It doesn't seem like either troll would have the knowledge of the other gained after the split.

No, but technically the mere fact that a troll piece has begun regenerating is information. (One bit's worth, to be precise.)

With sufficient trolls and extremely precise communication protocols, you could get a half-way decent bandwidth.

However, I seem to remember some reason it doesn't work, but I can't find the rule in question right now.

Mithril Leaf
2013-02-11, 07:25 PM
It's something I did, but honestly it seems pretty alright to share it here. I created a replica of a BARS apparatus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BARS_apparatus) at 11th level by using stone metamorphosis to create ultra high grade anthracite (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthracite) out of walls of stone, walls of force to contain the pressure, walls of iron and hardening mixed with reforging to make the anvils, decanter of endless water to replace the oil, and minor created distilled jeffrey pine tree resin to burn for heat.

The diamonds were oh so sweet for resurrection.

EDIT: Oh, I also used tons of fabricate.

Jeenyus
2013-08-01, 08:13 AM
I have created a scatter gun with various bags of holding. You take the largest bag of holding you can find (minimum type II) and fill it with your projectile of choice (it can't be sharp, but the Bag of Summoning Ducks created by IIzak would be ideal) and jam a smaller Bag of Holding in it. The rules state that the internal volume of the larger bag decreases by the internal volume of the smaller bag, which expels the contents of the bag at supersonic speeds (unless the dm rules that the bag ruptures instead).

Some of my friends have talked about getting a +2 Dagger with a Splitting and Returning enchantment on it to essentially create money, but everyone I play with agrees what they wouldn't allow that as a DM.

I have been wanting to make an Artificer (or possibly Maester) who lives in a Bag of Holding with a Bottle of Air or two.

I also thought up Pokeballs. Use the Implode on an NPC or monster and collect their remains (a little ball of flesh and bone resulting from the implosion). You can keep the remains fresh with Purify Food/Drink and at any time you can reanimate your "Pokemon" with the appropriate spell. So far I haven't been able to find a viable way to implement this, but I feel its pretty neat.

ramrod
2013-08-01, 10:52 AM
It's not super ingenious or anything but my uncles party used to have something they called the play dough hair maker. A torture device of sorts, a small metallic box with small holes in to put shrunken creatures in and question, no answer and the spell expired leading to expansion and something akin to play dough hair being extruded through the holes.

This was under old ad and d rules, so not entirely sure which spell they used. Equally it may have been easier to mute the box and reduce its size in stead... Lol.

ZamielVanWeber
2013-08-01, 11:04 AM

The RAW that makes this work is the RAW that makes this do nothing. Cute otherwise.

Segev
2013-08-01, 11:28 AM
Yeah, the commoner rail gun doesn't persist the arrow's momentum, so it stops with the last commoner.

That said, it makes a SPECTACULAR information transmission system. Just need to protect your line of commoners strung out in five foot intervals from city to city. Hand a message on a piece of paper to the guy at one end, and he passes it as a free action.......until it arrives at the other end and the last commoner hands your message to the recipient.

Asteron
2013-08-01, 03:21 PM
Yeah, the commoner rail gun doesn't persist the arrow's momentum, so it stops with the last commoner.

That said, it makes a SPECTACULAR information transmission system. Just need to protect your line of commoners strung out in five foot intervals from city to city. Hand a message on a piece of paper to the guy at one end, and he passes it as a free action.......until it arrives at the other end and the last commoner hands your message to the recipient.

Who needs commoners for that? Tiny golems in an underground pipe of adamantine... There's your telegraph.

Segev
2013-08-01, 03:35 PM
Far more expensive, though definitely easier to maintain.

Maybe trained goblins?

Asteron
2013-08-01, 03:37 PM
Far more expensive, though definitely easier to maintain.

Maybe trained goblins?

The point was that you don't need the upkeep of a living creature, which can be just as expensive...

erok0809
2013-08-01, 03:49 PM
My friend tells me of one of his characters that always had a bag of holding on him, except the bag was always full of wraiths. I don't know how he managed it, but it was always fun when he was in a pinch. Turn the bag inside out, and suddenly there's wraiths everywhere!

Alex12
2013-08-01, 03:52 PM
For long-range communications systems, you only need one creature that can be in two different places simultaneously. Like a Dvati.

We've had a character use a glaive to poke the ground ahead to trigger traps.

Using flasks of oil and sticks we found in the forest to make a torch for the only guy in the group who doesn't have Darkvision has to count for something.

My backup character, a Necropolitan Dread Necromancer, is going to use the fact that he's got several internal organs he doesn't need anymore to make space for a skeletal squirrel, who can jump out and do stuff if the need arises.