PDA

View Full Version : Modular/Improvisational Spellcasting - Work in Progress

scarmiglionne4
2013-02-10, 07:27 PM
This is for my D&D 3.5 based RPG. Not sure what I will be doing with classes yet, but XP levels for base classes are capped at 10th.

To be a magic-wielding class the Gifted Feat must be taken at first level.

Gifted
Prerequisites: Must be taken at first level, Constitution 13, Intelligence 13.
Benefit: Allows access to the class Shaman and/or Mage.

Arcane is visible. Divine is invisible.

All spells have verbal and somatic components unless a feat or special ability states otherwise. There are no foci, or material components.

Saving Throws
Magics that do not deal lethal hit point damage allow Fortitude saves if they affect the body; Will saves if they affect the mind.
Magics that deal damage in an area of effect allow a Reflex save. Magics that have a single target are touch or ranged touch attacks.

Vulnerability
Creatures have two levels of vulnerability: Vulnerable and Critically Vulnerable. Vulnerable increases the damage die by one step. Critically vulnerable increases damage die by one step and doubles the damage.

The Eight Energies
These are basic spells that invoke one of the eight elements that influence all of creation. They are: Earth, Air, Fire, Water, Light, Darkness, Tellurasiel, and Omnisiel. Earth tends to manifest itself as stone or sand. Air manifests as wind, and electricity. Fire manifests as heat or flame. Water manifests as liquid water. Light manifests as rays or a burst of illuminated particles and is made up of positive energy. Darkness manifests as a radius or sphere of shadow and is made up of negative energy. Tellurasiel manifests as plant material, such as wood or thorns. Omnisiel can manifest itself in any way, but tends to appear as a meteor or comet.

EARTH
This magic evokes stone or earth.

AIR
This magic evokes wind and electricity.

FIRE
This magic evokes flame and heat.

WATER
This magic evokes water and cold.

LIGHT
This magic evokes positive energy and light.

DARKNESS
This magic evokes negative energy and darkness.

LIFE
This magic evokes plants, animals, poison, or acid.

HEAVEN
This magic evokes the moon and stars.

CONTROL
Novice
This magic manipulates the body and mind. At higher potency it can manipulate to the point of total transformation.

CREATE
This magic makes something exist the previously did not. Low proficiency can create illusions. Higher proficiency truly creates.

SENSE
This magic amplifies the senses or allows the use of extrasensory perception.

TRANSCEND
This magic eliminates spatial inconveniences. It aids in transportation, communication over great distance, summoning, banishment, or anything that brings something from one place to another.

Spellcraft
With the use of this skill, certain modifications can be made to spells. A roll is not required if Spellcraft is known as a class skill. Otherwise a DC (15+1 per rank required above four) check must be rolled each time a modification is used.

Magery Skills
Concentration (For extended duration)
Handle Animal (To control summoned animals)
Heal (For curative magic)
Knowledge: Arcana (Arcane)
Knowledge: Nature (Tellurasiel magic)
Knowledge: Religion (Divine)
Knowledge: The Planes (Omnisiel magic)
Perception (For targeting, area, and divination)
Spellcraft (Determines proficiency level)

Spellcraft Proficiency
Skill Mod Proficiency
6+ Novice
9+ Adept
12+ Expert
15+ Master
18+ Grandmaster
30+ Lord

Concentration Potency
Skill Mod Potency
2 Diluted
5 I
7 II
9 III
11 IV
13 V
15 VI
17 VII
19 VIII
21 IX
23 X
25 XI
30+ XII

At Novice proficiency only a few magicks can be combined and then for limited effects.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-02-10, 07:55 PM
So, there's a feat tax on spellcasting classes?

Arcane is visible. Divine is invisible. - Clarify?

I feel like I'm missing something with the charts at the end.

Actually, I kinda feel like I'm missing something in general. How does all of this fit together?

Also, it seems like you're planning to rebuild things from the ground up. If so, you might want to consider whether or not you want to base it on D&D at all, or find another, more flexible system.

Or go completely crazy and try to build one from the ground up, like I'm doing.

scarmiglionne4
2013-02-11, 02:47 PM
So, there's a feat tax on spellcasting classes?

Arcane is visible. Divine is invisible. - Clarify?

I feel like I'm missing something with the charts at the end.

Actually, I kinda feel like I'm missing something in general. How does all of this fit together?

Also, it seems like you're planning to rebuild things from the ground up. If so, you might want to consider whether or not you want to base it on D&D at all, or find another, more flexible system.

Or go completely crazy and try to build one from the ground up, like I'm doing.

Yes, I suppose there is a feat tax. I am basing this a bit around The Riddle of Steel. I may make Elves not need the Gifted feat. Not sure yet.

I want Arcane magic to be a "vulgar display of power." When you see a mage using magic, there should be no doubt that what you are looking at is magic. With divine magic I want it to be more like the caster is not using magic but performing minor miracles.

You aren't missing anything. I haven't really got this fitting together yet. It is just ideas at this point. I was hoping to get some ideas thrown onto the pile at the very least.

I have redesigned so much I don't even call it D&D anymore. It has become like an D20 OGL game.

I honestly considered GURPS, but I feel like this might be too much work, especially when all the work I have already done in other areas is taken into account.