PDA

View Full Version : Mnemonic Enhancer

Story
2013-02-11, 01:13 AM
What is the point of Mnemonic Enhancer (ignoring Sanctum shenanigans of course)? The only use I can see is when you want to cast a cantrip or 1st level spell as many times as possible for some reason, say, Scholar's Touch for when you absolutely have to memorize that whole library today. But this is a rather situational use, which I'm not sure even justifies the cost of learning the spell in the first place.

Rubik
2013-02-11, 01:27 AM
What is the point of Mnemonic Enhancer (ignoring Sanctum shenanigans of course)? The only use I can see is when you want to cast a cantrip or 1st level spell as many times as possible for some reason, say, Scholar's Touch for when you absolutely have to memorize that whole library today. But this is a rather situational use, which I'm not sure even justifies the cost of learning the spell in the first place.Wands. White text

Runestar
2013-02-11, 05:26 AM
The key use I can see is it basically lets you use a 4th lv slot to prepare 3 1st lv spells. Not very efficient, but if you prefer to have say, 3 extra magic missiles rather than 1 stoneskin, it's the way to go.

Wings of Peace
2013-02-11, 05:34 AM
Mix it with Miracle and Mind Mage for an easy way to get as many prepared spells as you want.

Newoblivion
2013-02-11, 05:46 AM
Why not just use the Arcane Manipulation feat? :smallconfused:

Wings of Peace
2013-02-11, 05:53 AM
Why not just use the Arcane Manipulation feat? :smallconfused:

Because I profit if I use Mnemonic Enhancer. Two slots (Miracle and Enhancer) becomes three 1st level spells. One slot will be Miracle, one slot will be Mnemonic Enhancer, and one will be a lowered version of whatever spell I please.

Waddacku
2013-02-11, 06:29 AM
The point of Mnemonic Enhancer is giving the Wizard a degree of spontaneity.

Runestar
2013-02-11, 06:37 AM
The point of Mnemonic Enhancer is giving the Wizard a degree of spontaneity.

What spontaneity? It has a casting time of 10 minutes, IIRC. :smallconfused:

yougi
2013-02-11, 07:03 AM
Still better than nothing. If you're put in front of a situation you can't handle with the spells you have, it can help. My wizard always keeps a scroll of it ready, just in case.

Newoblivion
2013-02-11, 07:05 AM
Because I profit if I use Mnemonic Enhancer. Two slots (Miracle and Enhancer) becomes three 1st level spells. One slot will be Miracle, one slot will be Mnemonic Enhancer, and one will be a lowered version of whatever spell I please.

I am not sure I follow. Mnemonic Enhancer is Wizard spell and Miracle is cleric spell. With Arcane Manipulation you can break a 4th level spell to 2,1,1 or 1,1,1,1 instead of 1,1,1.

Wings of Peace
2013-02-11, 07:28 AM
I am not sure I follow. Mnemonic Enhancer is Wizard spell and Miracle is cleric spell. With Arcane Manipulation you can break a 4th level spell to 2,1,1 or 1,1,1,1 instead of 1,1,1.

I did my numbers wrong the first time but here's the run down.

Getting Miracle as a Wizard isn't very hard, if nothing else you can use a Planar Touchstone. The reason for Miracle is that it takes Mnemonic Enhancer which takes 10 minutes to cast and does it as a standard action instead.

With Mind Mage you can spend power points (which have a number of documented ways to self generate) to lower the level of a spell you prepare. The routine then becomes generate pp -> lower miracle to a 1st level slot -> cast mnemonic enhancer via miracle to generate three 1st level slots-> prepare miracle in one of the three 1st level slots -> repeat.

A round is six seconds so assuming you did this trick once per round for an hour you would gain twenty first level slots per minute or 1,200 1st level slots an hour.

These 1st level slots can then be used to prepare other spells that you lower down to 1st level via Mind Mage.

ahenobarbi
2013-02-11, 08:00 AM
If you have unused 4th or higher level slots available at the end of the day you can use them to cast mnemonic enhancer(s)and get some extra 1-3 level spells for tommorow. Or even better give them to your familiar.

ahenobarbi
2013-02-11, 08:02 AM
A round is six seconds so assuming you did this trick once per round for an hour you would gain twenty first level slots per minute or 1,200 1st level slots an hour.

Mnemonic Enhancer casting time is 10 minutes, so you can't do this once a round.

Story
2013-02-11, 09:06 AM
Mnemonic Enhancer casting time is 10 minutes, so you can't do this once a round.

Did you read the post? Miracle is used to reduce it to a standard action.

ahenobarbi
2013-02-11, 09:17 AM
Did you read the post? Miracle is used to reduce it to a standard action.

Ops, sorry.