PDA

View Full Version : This template just makes things into plant versions of themselves (3.5, PEACH)

Frathe
2013-02-11, 02:48 AM
Vegetable Creature

Vegetable creatures are strange, green versions of their normal kindred, often found dwelling in forests or swamps.

Creating A Vegetable Creature

"Vegetable" is an inherited template that can be added to any corporeal aberration, animal, dragon, fey, giant, humanoid, magical beast, monstrous humanoid, or vermin (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

A vegetable creature uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Size and Type

A vegetable creature’s type changes to plant. Size does not change. Do not recalculate the creature’s Hit Dice, base attack bonus, saves, or skill points.

Speed

A vegetable creature’s speed is 10 less than that of the base creature, to a minimum of twenty feet, unless already slower, in which case its speed remains the same.

Attack
A vegetable creature retains all the attacks of the base creature. If the base creature can use weapons, the vegetable creature retains this ability. A creature with natural weapons retains those natural weapons.

Special Qualities

A vegetable creature retains all the special qualities of the base creature and also gains the following qualities.

Low-Light Vision (Ex): A vegetable creature gains low-light vision, enabling it to see twice as well as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of shadowy illumination. It retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.

Plant Traits: A vegetable creature has immunity to poison, magical sleep effects, paralysis, polymorph, stunning, and mind-affecting spells and abilities (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects). It is not subject to extra damage from critical hits.

Skill Bonuses (Ex): A vegetable creature has a +4 bonus on Hide checks in aboveground natural environments.

Regeneration (Ex): If the base creature has more than 5 Hit Dice, the vegetable creature gains regeneration 3.

Abilities

A vegetable creature’s Dexterity decreases by 2, its Constitution increases by +4, its Intelligence decreases by 4, and its Wisdom increases by +2.

Environment

Any forest, mountain, or swamp, or same as the base creature.

Challenge Rating

1-5 HD, same as the base creature + 1 (minimum 2); 6 HD or more, as base creature + 2

Alignment

Same as the base creature or neutral.

Level Adjustment

1-5 HD, same as the base creature +1; 6 HD or more, as base creature + 2.

Variant: Wooden Creature

Wooden creatures are as vegetable creatures, but receive +4 to natural armor and vulnerability to fire (+50% damage from fire damage).

LordErebus12
2013-02-11, 04:18 AM
Variant: Wooden Creature

Wooden creatures are as vegetable creatures, but receive +4 to natural armor and vulnerability to fire (+50% damage from fire damage).

cough cough, woodling, cough

Frathe
2013-02-11, 02:13 PM
cough cough, woodling, cough
AAAH. Thanks for pointing that out. I've had this recurring problem where, because I don't own any of the source books (any of them; I just use an online SRD resource for everything), when I have an idea I can't and don't check if something similar already exists in a sourcebook; instead, I jump straight to homebrewing, and I've ended up unintentionally reimplementing several concepts in the process (Mummy template = Mummified Creature Template; Centaur Template comparable to Tauric Template; Alicorn ~= Valicorn; Crystalline Template comparable to Mineral Warrior).

TuggyNE
2013-02-11, 07:17 PM
AAAH. Thanks for pointing that out. I've had this recurring problem where, because I don't own any of the source books (any of them; I just use an online SRD resource for everything), when I have an idea I can't and don't check if something similar already exists in a sourcebook; instead, I jump straight to homebrewing, and I've ended up unintentionally reimplementing several concepts in the process (Mummy template = Mummified Creature Template; Centaur Template comparable to Tauric Template; Alicorn ~= Valicorn; Crystalline Template comparable to Mineral Warrior).

I've had this problem myself, and for the same reason. On the upside, if you do a good job, you can just call it a fix for the official version. :smallwink:

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-02-11, 07:21 PM
Hmm... now I want someone to stat out whatever arboreal abomination is spitting out vegetable versions of everything...

Oh god. It's those horrible little things from Troll 2, isn't it?

Frathe
2013-02-12, 03:26 AM
Hmm... now I want someone to stat out whatever arboreal abomination is spitting out vegetable versions of everything...

Oh god. It's those horrible little things from Troll 2, isn't it?

Just make a goblin druid named Creedence (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_2) and give her goblin followers a bunch of cursed plantifying potions. :smallcool:

LordErebus12
2013-02-12, 03:52 AM
CREATING A WOODLING
“Woodling” is an inherited template that can be added to any corporeal animal, dragon, fey, giant, humanoid, magical beast, or monstrous humanoid (referred to hereafter as the base creature). A woodling uses all the base creature’s statistics and abilities except as noted here.

Size and Type: A woodling’s type does not change, but it possesses fully developed plant traits (see below).

Armor Class: The base creature’s natural armor bonus improves by 7.

Attack: A woodling retains all the attacks of the base creature and also gains a slam attack if it didn’t already have one. If the base creature can use weapons, the woodling retains this ability. A creature with natural weapons retains those natural weapons. A woodling fi ghting without weapons uses either its slam attack or its primary natural weapon (if it has any). A woodling armed with a weapon uses its slam or a weapon, as it desires.

Full Attack: A woodling fi ghting without weapons uses either its slam attack (see above) or its natural weapons (if it has any). If armed with a weapon, it usually uses the weapon as its primary attack along with a slam or other natural weapon as a natural secondary attack.

Damage: Woodlings have slam attacks. If the base creature does not have this attack form, use the appropriate damage value from the table below according to the woodling’s size. Creatures that have other kinds of natural weapons retain their old damage values or use the appropriate value from the table below, whichever is better.

Size Damage
Fine 1
Diminutive 1d2
Tiny 1d3
Small 1d4
Medium 1d6
Large 1d8
Huge 2d6
Gargantuan 2d8
Colossal 4d6

Spell-Like Abilities: A woodling with a Wisdom score of 8 or higher gains spell-like abilities depending on its Hit Dice, as indicated on the table below. The abilities are cumulative; for instance, a woodling chimera (9 HD) can use entangle once per day, summon nature’s ally II once per day, speak with plants three times per day, and summon nature’s ally IV once per day. Caster level equals the creature’s HD, and the save DC is Charisma-based.

HD Abilities
1–2 Entangle 1/day
3–5 Summon nature’s ally II 1/day
6–7 Speak with plants 3/day
8–10 Summon nature’s ally IV 1/day
11–12 Command plants 1/day
13–15 Summon nature’s ally VI 1/day
16–18 Animate plants 1/day
19–20 Summon nature’s ally VIII 1/day
21+ Control plants 1/day
and summon nature’s ally IX 1/day

Special Qualities: A woodling creature has all the special qualities of the base creature, plus the following special qualities.

Damage Reduction (Ex): A woodling creature has damage reduction 5/slashing.

Low-Light Vision (Ex): The creature gains low-light vision, enabling it to see twice as well as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of shadowy illumination. It retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.

Plant Traits: A woodling has immunity to poison, magic sleep effects, paralysis, polymorph, stunning, and mindaffecting spells and abilities (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects). It is not subject to extra damage from critical hits.

Skill Bonuses (Ex): A woodling’s skin and hair resemble bark and leaves. Any wings the creature may have are leaflike or frondlike, and every part of the creature has a distinctly plantlike look that changes with the seasons. It is light green in early spring, darkening during the summer. In autumn, it turns yellow, orange, or red like a deciduous leaf. In the winter, it is a dry brown. A woodling has a +4 bonus on Hide checks and Move Silently checks in aboveground natural environments.

Vulnerability to Fire (Ex): Woodling creatures have vulnerability to fire. A woodling takes half again as much (+50%) damage as normal from the effect, regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed, or if the save is a success or failure.

Environment: Any aboveground natural.

Challenge Rating: Same as the base creature +2.

Organization: Same as the base creature, except most of a group will be the base creature with usually only one woodling.

Level Adjustment: +3.
Figured id post the woodling template so you could check it out for ideas.

Xhosant
2013-02-12, 05:38 AM
Speed

A vegetable creature’s speed is 10 less than that of the base creature, unless the base creature’s speed was 20 ft. or less.

That wording puts 25-speed creatures at a disadvantage: It will drop to 15, whereas if it had 5 less (20) in the first place it would not drop at all, netting 5 more speed. Maybe you'd prefer "to a minimum of 20 ft., unless already slower in which case its speed remains the same."

Frathe
2013-02-12, 02:38 PM
That wording puts 25-speed creatures at a disadvantage: It will drop to 15, whereas if it had 5 less (20) in the first place it would not drop at all, netting 5 more speed. Maybe you'd prefer "to a minimum of 20 ft., unless already slower in which case its speed remains the same."

Had to think about that for a while, but I've changed it correspondingly.

Frathe
2013-02-12, 02:45 PM
CREATING A WOODLING
“Woodling” is an inherited template that can be added to any corporeal animal, dragon, fey, giant, humanoid, magical beast, or monstrous humanoid (referred to hereafter as the base creature). A woodling uses all the base creature’s statistics and abilities except as noted here.

Size and Type: A woodling’s type does not change, but it possesses fully developed plant traits (see below).

Armor Class: The base creature’s natural armor bonus improves by 7.

Attack: A woodling retains all the attacks of the base creature and also gains a slam attack if it didn’t already have one. If the base creature can use weapons, the woodling retains this ability. A creature with natural weapons retains those natural weapons. A woodling fi ghting without weapons uses either its slam attack or its primary natural weapon (if it has any). A woodling armed with a weapon uses its slam or a weapon, as it desires.

Full Attack: A woodling fi ghting without weapons uses either its slam attack (see above) or its natural weapons (if it has any). If armed with a weapon, it usually uses the weapon as its primary attack along with a slam or other natural weapon as a natural secondary attack.

Damage: Woodlings have slam attacks. If the base creature does not have this attack form, use the appropriate damage value from the table below according to the woodling’s size. Creatures that have other kinds of natural weapons retain their old damage values or use the appropriate value from the table below, whichever is better.

Size Damage
Fine 1
Diminutive 1d2
Tiny 1d3
Small 1d4
Medium 1d6
Large 1d8
Huge 2d6
Gargantuan 2d8
Colossal 4d6

Spell-Like Abilities: A woodling with a Wisdom score of 8 or higher gains spell-like abilities depending on its Hit Dice, as indicated on the table below. The abilities are cumulative; for instance, a woodling chimera (9 HD) can use entangle once per day, summon nature’s ally II once per day, speak with plants three times per day, and summon nature’s ally IV once per day. Caster level equals the creature’s HD, and the save DC is Charisma-based.

HD Abilities
1–2 Entangle 1/day
3–5 Summon nature’s ally II 1/day
6–7 Speak with plants 3/day
8–10 Summon nature’s ally IV 1/day
11–12 Command plants 1/day
13–15 Summon nature’s ally VI 1/day
16–18 Animate plants 1/day
19–20 Summon nature’s ally VIII 1/day
21+ Control plants 1/day
and summon nature’s ally IX 1/day

Special Qualities: A woodling creature has all the special qualities of the base creature, plus the following special qualities.

Damage Reduction (Ex): A woodling creature has damage reduction 5/slashing.

Low-Light Vision (Ex): The creature gains low-light vision, enabling it to see twice as well as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of shadowy illumination. It retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.

Plant Traits: A woodling has immunity to poison, magic sleep effects, paralysis, polymorph, stunning, and mindaffecting spells and abilities (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects). It is not subject to extra damage from critical hits.

Skill Bonuses (Ex): A woodling’s skin and hair resemble bark and leaves. Any wings the creature may have are leaflike or frondlike, and every part of the creature has a distinctly plantlike look that changes with the seasons. It is light green in early spring, darkening during the summer. In autumn, it turns yellow, orange, or red like a deciduous leaf. In the winter, it is a dry brown. A woodling has a +4 bonus on Hide checks and Move Silently checks in aboveground natural environments.

Vulnerability to Fire (Ex): Woodling creatures have vulnerability to fire. A woodling takes half again as much (+50%) damage as normal from the effect, regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed, or if the save is a success or failure.

Environment: Any aboveground natural.

Challenge Rating: Same as the base creature +2.

Organization: Same as the base creature, except most of a group will be the base creature with usually only one woodling.

Level Adjustment: +3.
Figured id post the woodling template so you could check it out for ideas.

Thanks! I have made some revisions based on the woodling.

Frathe
2013-02-12, 08:53 PM
I just added regeneration gained with higher HD. Does the new content seem balanced?

This is starting to remind me of D&D trolls, which is funny for two reasons:

1. You could apply this to a troll.

2. The movie Troll 2.