View Full Version : Help with my Rogue in Forgotten Realms

jaaqen h'ghar
2013-02-11, 02:57 AM
Hi guys, first post so no hate please :)

I recently started DnD (4 weeks ago, if not less) and I'm starting a second campaign on Thursday, both of them I decided to go Rogue, my first one was a proper rogue, the way people on this site suggest.

For my second rogue, I want him to be skill-based, that means getting as many skill points as possible (I get 13/lvl at the moment). I want people here to help me maximise this number even more if possible and to teach me what to spend my skill points on based on the following. I want my guy to work by being able to

Jump from roof to roof
Kill a target in a crowd and escaping
Pickpocket a person without anyone knowing
Break into a store and steal goods and getting away clean
Lie my way out of trouble
Initiate combat by simply pulling out a weapon and killing one enemy before anyone can react

I understand it's a lot to ask for but I'm not really stressed on when I get it, I just want that but initially starting with diplo/bluff/sleight of hand/sense motive.

P.S: My DM is pretty lenient about things so suggest it if you think it goes along the lines of what I want and I will convince him to let me use it :smallsmile:

Thanks everyone, hope you had a blase reading my ridiculousness and hopefully it gives you an idea for you next class.

Norin
2013-02-11, 03:43 AM
Got a few quick suggestions for you here. Nothing cheesy, just regular stuff off the top of my head:

Jump from roof to roof
- High Jump skill, maybe use the Thief Acrobat PrC?

- Hidden Blade skill trick from Complete Scoundrel. Maybe using the Gnome quickrazor to store the weapon quickly after the sneak attack.

- High Sleight of Hand skill will let you do this.

- Have a look at this nice guide (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6180) to doing just that.

- High Bluff skill. Maybe get a way to cast "glibness" (+30 to bluff) spell. UMD skill and a wand maybe? Multiclass Beguiler or Bard?

Initiate combat by simply pulling out a weapon and killing one enemy before anyone can react
- Hidden blade trick again with quickdraw (prereq for this trick) will let you walk up to some poor unfortunate guy and just sneak attack him out of the blue.

Greenish
2013-02-11, 03:48 AM
For my second rogue, I want him to be skill-based, that means getting as many skill points as possible (I get 13/lvl at the moment). I want people here to help me maximise this number even more if possible and to teach me what to spend my skill points on based on the following. I want my guy to work by being able to

Jump from roof to roof
Initiate combat by simply pulling out a weapon and killing one enemy before anyone can reactDear sir, may I interest you in some Factotum (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2720.0)?

Norin
2013-02-11, 03:59 AM
Dear sir, may I interest you in some Factotum (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2720.0)?

I had that in mind too, but it seems that SA is part of his character concept. Factotum, i think, does not get enough SA early on to be effective this way.

Then again he could (if dm allows) use the Iajuijajajaitsuitjaja focus thing.

Alleran
2013-02-11, 04:09 AM
- Hidden Blade skill trick from Complete Scoundrel. Maybe using the Gnome quickrazor to store the weapon quickly after the sneak attack.
I think there's also the option of a sleeve blade. It's a dagger that goes into your sleeve, obviously. A DC 15 Search check will find it and it has a -2 penalty on attack rolls with it, but I think it can be drawn/sheathed as a swift action.

It's very Assassin's Creed. I use one with most of my characters as a semi-hidden backup weapon, even if they're not combat-oriented.

Averis Vol
2013-02-11, 05:06 AM
If you want to maximize skills you could go with the changling race (Races of eberron maybe) and their racial substitution level which gives you 10+int skillpoints, then dip three levels in factotum before going back to rogue and finishing with exemplar.

so the build would look something like:

changling rogue 2/ factotum 8/exemplar 10.

this gets you 10+int skill points (Albeit for the first two levels only) a ridiculous slew of abilities from factotum, and skill mastery for 1+int skills + whatever else the class gives.

of course this is a short review as coherence isn't my strong point at 3 in the morning, but the sources for those each is listed below

Changling (eberron campaign setting)
changling rogue sub level (Races of eberron)
factotum (dungeonscape)
exemplar (Complete adventurer)

EDIT: you could also replace exemplar with chameleon from Races of destiny.

jaaqen h'ghar
2013-02-11, 07:17 AM
While I appreciate the great feedback, here are some replies to each comment individually.

@Norin, your suggestions are pretty much what I was thinking (except glibness) so I'll look into that. What is the "Iajuijajajaitsuitjaja focus thing"? Google search brings up only this thread.

@Greenish, I love you so much for factotum, the response from my party has been that they accept it, but I need to check with DM still.

@Alleran, while not a fan of the AC series, I think that would go very well with the concept I'm building so I'm definitely looking forward to using that piece of equipment.

@Averis Vol, multiclassing is something the party and DM won't allow, it's basically to stop abuse where I could theoretically have 2 classes + prestige in some cases by level 5 so DM is making it really hard to multiclass (XP penalty, need to find a master, need training) so I can't be bothered.

Another request I have now, Factotum are natives of Dungeonscape but our adventure is set in Forgotten Realms, my DM will expect me to write an appropriate backstory to explain how I got into the forgotten realms and possibly met the party, the second is easy. I need specific information regarding if they are different planets, time periods, galaxies, realms so I can be smart about backstory so he shouldn't be able to shut me down.

Greenish
2013-02-11, 07:36 AM
Dungeonscape isn't a setting, it's a book that focuses on dungeons and the delving thereof. FR most assuredly has dungeons, so factotums are right at home. Fluff-wise, they're basically professional adventurers, using a wide range of skills (not just in the mechanical sense) they've acquired through experience and keen observation. I'm not that familiar with the Realms, but I don't see anything standing out as a poor fit.

Iaijutsu Focus is a skill from Oriental Adventures which allows you to deal extra damage against flat-footed enemies after drawing your weapon. Technically, a factotum has all skills as class skills, but getting this one to fly with your DM may be a tad trickier. You'll want to point out the significant limits of the skills, and the flavour of factotums as the ultimate dabblers and masters of exotic skills.

Norin
2013-02-11, 07:36 AM
@Norin, your suggestions are pretty much what I was thinking (except glibness) so I'll look into that. What is the "Iajuijajajaitsuitjaja focus thing"? Google search brings up only this thread.

Another request I have now, Factotum are natives of Dungeonscape but our adventure is set in Forgotten Realms, my DM will expect me to write an appropriate backstory to explain how I got into the forgotten realms and possibly met the party, the second is easy. I need specific information regarding if they are different planets, time periods, galaxies, realms so I can be smart about backstory so he shouldn't be able to shut me down.

Hahah, sorry, i forgot how to type it... let me try again:

Iaijutsu Focus.

It's a skill from Oriental Adventures book that lets you draw a weapon on a flat-footed opponent and attack for extra d6's of damage based on skill check result.

I see no big issue with having a Factotum in Forgotten Realms really. If you have the book, i will direct you towards page 19 and the paragraph about adaptation.

Also have a look here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070606) for some more info on adapting the class to Faerun.

If you show this to your DM, i suspect your issue is solved. :smallwink: