PDA

View Full Version : Does Tarquin have a last name?

Procyonpi
2013-02-11, 11:13 AM
I mean, it made sense for the family to not have a last name when the family was just "Elan, the intelligence-challenged Bard." But Tarquin, the ruthless and scheming warlord?

Gift Jeraff
2013-02-11, 11:15 AM
Tarquin is his last name. Alen is his first name, duh.

FujinAkari
2013-02-11, 11:31 AM
Yeah, he is General Tarquin, Tarquin is his last name.

We don't know his first name.

Xelbiuj
2013-02-11, 11:35 AM
He's saving it for next time he goes below 0 hp.

Amaril
2013-02-11, 11:36 AM
Now I think about it, his first name being Alen would account for both his sons having such...unusual names for humans, since Tarquin totally seems the type to name his sons by rearranging his own name. He's a bit of a megalomaniac, after all, judging by the goals and ambitions he laid out for Elan in his big reveal scene.

NerdyKris
2013-02-11, 12:37 PM
Now I think about it, his first name being Alen would account for both his sons having such...unusual names for humans, since Tarquin totally seems the type to name his sons by rearranging his own name. He's a bit of a megalomaniac, after all, judging by the goals and ambitions he laid out for Elan in his big reveal scene.

Nale and Elan are perfectly normal English names in the real world. What makes you say those are unusual names for humans?

Dr.Epic
2013-02-11, 12:45 PM
Tarquin T. Tarquin-erson. That's his name now.

Winter
2013-02-11, 12:54 PM
I think his lastname is "Badass".

ThePhantasm
2013-02-11, 12:57 PM
Onthephone is his last name.

Caractacus
2013-02-11, 12:59 PM
Nale and Elan are perfectly normal English names in the real world. What makes you say those are unusual names for humans?

Really? I have never come across either before. Might they be common in the US only?

FujinAkari
2013-02-11, 01:08 PM
Really? I have never come across either before. Might they be common in the US only?

They are Austrailian

Kish
2013-02-11, 01:30 PM
Unknown to this US-Ian.

I read NerdyKris saying "perfectly normal English names" as actually meaning in England. I now await clarifications on the matter by anyone native to England.

Amaril
2013-02-11, 01:50 PM
Yeah, I've never heard either of those names IRL. And judging purely by the other human names we've heard in OOTS, they do seem to be pretty uncommon in the World of the Stick.

jere7my
2013-02-11, 01:59 PM
His last name is Fin-tim-lin-bin-whin-bim-lim-bus-stop-F'tang-F'tang-Olé-Biscuitbarrel.

Gift Jeraff
2013-02-11, 02:14 PM
Their names are supposed to be Nate and Ethan, but there were typos in the speech balloons when their parents were naming them.

NerdyKris
2013-02-11, 02:37 PM
I meant English as in all english speaking countries. I've heard Elan before, and I don't consider Nale to be that out of the ordinary. I certainly wouldn't call it unusual or any proof of some underlying plot point.

Dr.Epic
2013-02-11, 03:38 PM
I think his lastname is "Badass".

No, that's Meelo's last name. And his middle name is Awesome.

Mike Havran
2013-02-11, 06:43 PM
Actually, Tarquin seems to be the last name, because it's known to his underlings. My guess is that his first name is Neal instead of Alen.

The Pilgrim
2013-02-11, 07:47 PM
I meant English as in all english speaking countries. I've heard Elan before, and I don't consider Nale to be that out of the ordinary. I certainly wouldn't call it unusual or any proof of some underlying plot point.

Anyway, the Wikipedia is your friend: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elan

isoriveil
2013-02-12, 12:56 AM
Anyway, the Wikipedia is your friend: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elan

Well, there is one Mexican female and one American Jewish with that name, no more. Doesn't seem as a common English name to me.

Rakoa
2013-02-12, 07:25 AM
Well, there is one Mexican female and one American Jewish with that name, no more. Doesn't seem as a common English name to me.

Wikipedia is not exactly a complete collection of every person to have existed with every name in the world. Because there were two people named Elan on Wikipedia certainly doesn't mean there are only two people of that name in the world.

Solse
2013-02-12, 07:36 AM
Wikipedia is not exactly a complete collection of every person to have existed with every name in the world. Because there were two people named Elan on Wikipedia certainly doesn't mean there are only two people of that name in the world.
I agree. Wikipedia shows that there are at least two people with the name "Elan" that are significant enough to be found on the site. There are probably tens of thousands (possibly) more.

HerbieRAI
2013-02-12, 09:09 AM
Actually, Tarquin seems to be the last name, because it's known to his underlings. My guess is that his first name is Neal instead of Alen.

And their mother's name would be Laen? I think its Nela is a better female name, so my vote is for Alen. Now its time to search through to make sure their mother doesn't already have a name.

Mike Havran
2013-02-12, 09:35 AM
And their mother's name would be Laen? I think its Nela is a better female name, so my vote is for Alen. Now its time to search through to make sure their mother doesn't already have a name.

Ugh. One thing is giving the name or similar one to the son, but to choose one's wife because of her first name? :smallconfused:

HerbieRAI
2013-02-12, 01:39 PM
Ugh. One thing is giving the name or similar one to the son, but to choose one's wife because of her first name? :smallconfused:

True, it would be .... Needlessly Complicated. :smallbiggrin:

We know they didn't marry due to similar alignment.

Amaril
2013-02-12, 03:25 PM
True, it would be .... Needlessly Complicated. :smallbiggrin:

But the propensity for needlessly complicated plans comes from their mother's side, not from Tarquin's...although I guess either way could work.

Math_Mage
2013-02-12, 03:37 PM
Lena is a better female name than Laen or Nela anyway.

Gift Jeraff
2013-02-12, 06:01 PM
Lena Lane has a nice ring to it.

Mike Havran
2013-02-12, 06:34 PM

So true...

Stick figures and all that, but (future) Ms. Tarquin's first name was probably the least important thing...:smallwink:

Amaril
2013-02-12, 07:13 PM
So true...

Stick figures and all that, but (future) Ms. Tarquin's first name was probably the least important thing...:smallwink:

Funny as hell coming from a guy with Tarquin as his avatar :smallbiggrin:

XxXU2XxX
2013-02-13, 12:18 PM
I do not believe his last name is Tarquin. Every single character has referred to him as Tarquin thus far. Formalities as General not withstanding, I don't think his friend of 35 years nor his son's demonic girlfriend who hates him would address him by last name only.

Nagurski
2013-02-15, 08:47 AM
Until we know for sure, I'm going to assume that Tarquin is his last name and his first is Wilhuff.