PDA

View Full Version : Healing question

FaerieDrgn
2013-02-11, 02:31 PM
Hey guys,

This came across my mind the other day, and I don't know the answer. Is it possible to use spells like cure moderate wounds to heal plants? or are these spells specifically made for beings that breathe (or don't in the case of undead)?

I guess I've only used cure spells on allies and undead, and for nothing else. But I'm wondering what other things healing spells could be used for aside from healing humanoids and hurting undead.

Lord Il Palazzo
2013-02-11, 02:36 PM
Cure Light Wounds (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/cureLightWounds.htm) (which all the others refer back to) targets a "creature touched" so it works normally on any creature for which there isn't some specific reason it wouldn't (like being undead). You could use Cure X Wounds on a plant, outsider, dragon or any other creature that doesn't give you a specific reason you cannot.

RagnaroksChosen
2013-02-11, 02:41 PM
Remember its target creature.. so you could heal an awakened house plant but not a house plant.

The Viscount
2013-02-11, 02:50 PM
Important distinction there, RagnaroksChosen. Well said

The cure spells will indeed heal everyone but undead, constructs, and those with tomb-tainted soul or similar odd abilities.

If a spell (such as heal mount) only affects a certain creature or creature type, it will tell you in the description.

Oko and Qailee
2013-02-11, 07:02 PM
Remember its target creature.. so you could heal an awakened house plant but not a house plant.

I find this kinda weird. I understand plants arent creatures per se, but at a certain point some plants are equally intelligent or more than certain creatures. This doesn't even include magic or anything.

For example some plants can supposedly communicate..... while some animals can't.... at this point the distinction of X is a creature versus Y is a creature is just "you don't belong to this kingdom (biology)"

TuggyNE
2013-02-11, 07:22 PM
I find this kinda weird. I understand plants arent creatures per se, but at a certain point some plants are equally intelligent or more than certain creatures. This doesn't even include magic or anything.

For example some plants can supposedly communicate..... while some animals can't.... at this point the distinction of X is a creature versus Y is a creature is just "you don't belong to this kingdom (biology)"

Just roll with it; D&D is not known for its fidelity to scientific principles.

RagnaroksChosen
2013-02-11, 07:23 PM

Ehh I guess.. a Plants a Plant... Awaken or a plant creature are the only ways..

The implications of making a plant a creature, makes things weird. What if Wizards where going around casting stoneskin on trees. heh IMO please keep my wizards out of my druids.

Psyren
2013-02-11, 08:02 PM
If plants are objects, though, you can simply use Make Whole on them. So either way there's a way to repair them.

Scow2
2013-02-11, 08:15 PM
Just roll with it; D&D is not known for its fidelity to scientific principles.

Especially since it restricts all animals to INT 1 or 2, even though anyone can tell you their dog's far smarter than their younger sibling.

Oko and Qailee
2013-02-11, 08:16 PM
Especially since it restricts all animals to INT 1 or 2, even though anyone can tell you their dog's far smarter than their younger sibling.

I would give some plants an int higher than some animals :P

Don't worry though, Ill just roll with it

Gavinfoxx
2013-02-11, 08:16 PM
You can cure a plant type creature... but not a normal plant.