PDA

View Full Version : Hardest Published Adventure Modules (3.5)

koboldish
2013-02-11, 03:59 PM
Hello Playgrounders!
I am going to run a campaign where the players are going to die. A lot. They know what they are getting into, and wanted to try a high optimization campaign. The rules for me: I have to use published adventures that are for players of their level. Tomb of Horrors is the most obvious one right now. I would like to start at level 1, so some that work at that level would be great. It is helpful if they are free, but I am willing to spend a few dollars to officially buy PDFs of official WoTC modules.

Thanks!

ngilop
2013-02-11, 06:10 PM
Any of the tournament modules are going to be hard, as they were made specifically to kill and/or have players fail at them.

of course as you said Tomb of Horrors is up there for reasons that im sure most other people could say

Rappan Athuk for me is the hardest one Ive ever done, and I think that in an official capacity it has never been successfully completed, but that could have been chnaged from the last time i saw that data which was 7/8 years ago.

White Plume Mountain is said to be hard, but not so much for the certaind eath like the above 2, but seriosuly what other adventure can you have where you are fighitng bad guys in gravity defying kayaks, yes kayaks.
Im not sure if White Plume Mountain was ever updated to the 3rd ed ruleset though.

Dragon Mountain is hard as well, as for me at least was the one I had the most fun playing. you can try out 'tucker's kobolds and liek how 3rd ed has gone all koboldeded fanboyish kinda you cna 'pimp out' the kobolds ( which make up like 8/10 of the combat encounters) all you want.

koboldish
2013-02-11, 06:28 PM
I'll look into those. Are any legally available for free?

Agincourt
2013-02-11, 06:32 PM
There's a Revised version of "White Plume Mountain" for 3.5 on WotC's website:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20051207a

koboldish
2013-02-11, 07:05 PM
Looks very nice. As a quick question, how hard is it to use Pathfinder material in a 3.5 game?

yougi
2013-02-11, 08:52 PM
I've used quite a few first edition adventures. While not perfectly legal to the rules you're outlining, they still make for good adventures.

Pink
2013-02-11, 09:29 PM
Looks very nice. As a quick question, how hard is it to use Pathfinder material in a 3.5 game?

If you're willing to look up the new class abilities and feats and familiarize yourself with skill and CMB consolidation, relatively easy I'd say. Aside from the difficulty par being, usually, somewhat higher than 3.5 the core mechanics are the same and a stat block from PF works about the same as a stat block from 3.5. If you're not willing to look up and learn new material though, there could be a fair bit that you won't understand (What is this witch class? What is a hex?)