PDA

View Full Version : Some verbal help from the Brits perhaps?

Traab
2013-02-11, 05:22 PM
I am reading a fanfic, and as near as I can tell, from some of the phrases used, the author is british, but there is one phrase that he has used a few times im not entirely sure on the definition of. The latest time I read it, it went, "Mizuki-sensei always said I was a shower of a shinobi" what does that mean, shower? Does it imply he is flashy? Or something else?

Lea Plath
2013-02-11, 05:46 PM
I am reading a fanfic, and as near as I can tell, from some of the phrases used, the author is british, but there is one phrase that he has used a few times im not entirely sure on the definition of. The latest time I read it, it went, "Mizuki-sensei always said I was a shower of a shinobi" what does that mean, shower? Does it imply he is flashy? Or something else?

Well. It is a bit like a berk. Or being a bit iffy.

The Succubus
2013-02-11, 06:09 PM
Traditionally, you'd use the term "shower" to describe a group of under-performing individuals. Example:

"You miserable shower are a disgrace to soldiering everywhere. Now kiss the floor and give me twenty!"

Traab
2013-02-11, 06:42 PM
Ah thanks, that makes sense now. Its funny, I picked up so much random brit slang from reading harry potter fanfics only to stumble over this one for naruto. I love the author dearly, he writes an amazing story, but the phrases throw me sometimes.

Brother Oni
2013-02-12, 05:25 AM
Traditionally, you'd use the term "shower" to describe a group of under-performing individuals.

I'm not familiar with that slang - is it a regional thing?

The Succubus
2013-02-12, 05:28 AM
I recall seeing it in a film - might have been one of the Carry Ons. Might also have been one of my St John's drill sergeants that used it as well. He was a Southerner, though, so YMMV.

Archonic Energy
2013-02-12, 06:12 AM
I recall seeing it in a film - might have been one of the Carry Ons. Might also have been one of my St John's drill sergeants that used it as well. He was a Southerner, though, so YMMV.

I Assume you meant St John not "St John's" there Succ... :smallwink:

Pro Fide, Pro Utilitarte Hominim.

Heliomance
2013-02-12, 06:51 AM
It's certainly not common slang, especially used like that. I've heard it used as Succubus's example before, but "shower of an x" sounds bizarre to me.

Traab
2013-02-12, 09:41 AM
It's certainly not common slang, especially used like that. I've heard it used as Succubus's example before, but "shower of an x" sounds bizarre to me.

Maybe he was using it as a pun? Here is the full scene.

Naruto was in the air and falling, but he was falling under control; he had a kage bushin underneath him and was riding its shoulders to the ground. Every time the journey picked up a bit too much speed, he merely jumped off, let the bushin dispel and conjured another one under his feet. Damn, I need more time; she knew while he was in the air he was in her element but she didn't have enough chakra immediately to hand to use a technique; instead she took a breather as the jump-suited shinobi made one last ride and, with a theatrical flourish, six of him landed on the floor together and gave a victory pose,

Mizuki-sensei always said I was a shower of a shinobi", one of them stated, shrugging with a grin, "guess he was right in the end".

The Succubus
2013-02-12, 10:11 AM
Maybe he was using it as a pun? Here is the full scene.

The word he is looking for is "show-off", rather than "shower".

factotum
2013-02-12, 10:14 AM

But then you wouldn't get the (admittedly appalling) pun on "shower" referring to a group of people.

Traab
2013-02-12, 10:29 AM

A show-er instead of a shower?

Manga Shoggoth
2013-02-12, 10:42 AM
I'm not familiar with that slang - is it a regional thing?

It's not particularly regional - most Brits will understand "Shower" pretty much as Succubus describes. It is, however, quite an old term - I remember hearing it more commonly in my youth.

I did a quick side trip to the World Wise Words website to see if he had notes on its derevation, but alas, nothing.

comicshorse
2013-02-12, 11:20 AM
Traditionally, you'd use the term "shower" to describe a group of under-performing individuals. Example:

"You miserable shower are a disgrace to soldiering everywhere. Now kiss the floor and give me twenty!"

Exactly. When I was playing rugby at school the teacher in charge always refered to us as a 'useless shower' when we were playing badly. He was of an age to have experienced National Service so I presume he picked it up in the army

Traab
2013-02-12, 11:38 AM
Exactly. When I was playing rugby at school the teacher in charge always refered to us as a 'useless shower' when we were playing badly. He was of an age to have experienced National Service so I presume he picked it up in the army

You see, THIS makes all kinds of sense, because im fairly sure the guy is military. If its a common term that seems to pop up in military training it would explain why he knows it.

GnomeFighter
2013-02-12, 12:00 PM
Its not an often used phrase now.

As I nderstand it there is two possible derivations to it, both of which can be read as slang for "useless".

1) Military slang, meening "wet" as in "wet behind the ears" i.e. inexperienced, but in a derogatory way.

2) Shower of s***. I.e. not very nice or usefull.

Serpentine
2013-02-12, 10:57 PM
My first thought was "shower" (show-er) as in "shower, not a grower" vs "grower, not a shower". In my defence, I heard that one recently and have never heard the other.

JustSomeGuy
2013-02-13, 09:07 AM
As someone with some british army exprience, i can say that i have frequently heard (and used) the phrase 'shower of s**t' to describe a collective of people (they're a shower of s**t), a situation (well that's a shower of s**t), a task (it's turned into a shower of s**t), and the collective actions of an individual (he's a shower of s**t). I have never heard 'shower' on it's own for anything other than an actual shower, although sometimes we would use the phrase 'squaddie shower', referring to the practice of chucking on some extra deodorant when you're in a rush when really an actual shower would be more appropriate.

The Succubus
2013-02-13, 10:02 AM
Yeah, I think it's just a pun, with our egocentric samurai interpretting "shower" as "show-er".

Fairly weak as puns go. Someone should send Death YFTR over to show him how it's done. =3

Brother Oni
2013-02-13, 12:22 PM
I'm familiar with 'shower of ****' but not 'shower' by itself. I always understood the former to be a more colourful version of 'chocolate teapot'.

nedz
2013-02-13, 10:24 PM
I'm familiar with 'shower of ****' but not 'shower' by itself. I always understood the former to be a more colourful version of 'chocolate teapot'.

No I have heard shower used by itself, but unlike chocolate teapot it's definitely a collective noun — of what has already been covered.

tyckspoon
2013-02-14, 01:44 AM
Shower: A useless thing, especially a group thereof.
Shower: a word sometimes used to refer to rain, and by extension other groups of things falling out of the sky.
A pile of Narutos, a ninja largely known for being completely terrible at everything a ninja is traditionally good at, landing from a fall: a shower of shinobi. Ta-da. This is a pune, or play on words.

(The phrasing 'a shower of a shinobi' is a bit awkward, but that's what happens when you force a collective noun into referencing a singular thing.)

supermonkeyjoe
2013-02-14, 04:51 AM
Calling a group of people a 'shower' is just the 'polite' version of the military slang "Shower of S**t" which is basically calling them completely useless and quite unpleasant. Not usually used much outside of the military or old british comedies (See pretty much anything starring Terry-Thomas)

It's in the the same way that calling someone a berk is the 'polite' version of the cockney rhyming slang Berkshire Hunt- which means, well, I'm sure you know the unpleasant word that rhymes with hunt :smallwink:

In the case of the fanfic it was used as a really really awkward pun, i.e the ninja is shower of S**t and also a shower as in "it's raining men" style.