PDA

View Full Version : Necrodin?? Worth a try?

Ubercaledor
2013-02-11, 09:12 PM
I was looking for something a little outside the box for an upcoming character, and since I generally try to stay pretty far away from TO (to avoid having books thrown at my head). The party is generally low op.

So I was thinking about Charisma-based characters, I sort of want to play a paladin or knight, but they can get a bit bland, so I was thinking of multiclassing.

I'm currently thinking that an interesting combination might be Dread Necromancer/Paladin of Slaughter, but I'm having trouble working out exactly how to split the levels and what options to take.

Just thought I would get people's thoughts. Playable? Or back to the drawing board?

ECL probably around about the 10-15 range.

Eiko
2013-02-11, 09:24 PM
Paladin of tyranny is infinitely more playable, it lacks the code that says you have to constantly murder everyone around you.

How much of each you want to take depends on what you want to do on the melee/magic spectrum. As deep into paladin as 3 gives you the delicious aura of save lowering, while 2 gives you the saves boost. You need to decide how much casting you're willing to loose.

The dread necromancer list is also rather lacking in the gish department, so you may wish to consider arcane disciple for a choice domain to fix things up.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-02-11, 09:30 PM
No amount of multiclassing prior to 8th level will make a Dread Necromancer any better at what he does, it will only hold him back.

Adding Dread Necromancer levels onto a melee character doesn't contribute anything to that melee character, a Dread Necromancer's abilities have zero synergy with it.

If you want an undeath-themed Paladin, go Paladin 4/ Bone Knight 4/ Divine Crusader 1/ Bone Knight 6/ X 5, with those last five levels granting at least 3/5 divine casting and hopefully adding some domains to expand your spell list. I'd go with the Wrath domain first.

Fable Wright
2013-02-11, 09:31 PM
Dread Necromancer/Paladin? No... if the Dread Necromancer was a Divine class, it might work with Bone Knight as your main Gish class, but otherwise, you're SoL.

If you're looking for a curse-type melee character based on Charisma, a Hexblade 4 with Dark Companion/Paladin of Slaughter 3/Blackguard 3/Binder 3/Knight of the Sacred Seal (Foculor) 5 might be an interesting build. You get Cha to saves 2 times (3 against spells), a bunch of Cha-based DC abilities, Cha to some attack rolls and occasionally AC, and a number of debuff auras (4) on your person whenever you want, plus some other abilities from Binder that you can swap out whenever you feel like it.

Acanous
2013-02-11, 09:34 PM
I came to this thread thinking you were talking about a Necropolitan Paladin, which would be awesome.

Dread Necros really don't multiclass well, and neiter do most paladin variants.
Your party may be low on the op scale, but you're going to feel useless most of the time if you're dead set on a PoS DN.

Ubercaledor
2013-02-11, 09:34 PM
hmm, a lot of interesting suggestions I will definitely look into. Thanks!

Ubercaledor
2013-02-11, 09:35 PM
I came to this thread thinking you were talking about a Necropolitan Paladin, which would be awesome.

Dread Necros really don't multiclass well, and neiter do most paladin variants.
Your party may be low on the op scale, but you're going to feel useless most of the time if you're dead set on a PoS DN.

Necropolitan Paladin you say... *strokes beard*

Malroth
2013-02-11, 09:35 PM
I dunno Paladin of tyrrany/dread necro/dread witch could be a pretty nasty fear build.

nedz
2013-02-11, 09:50 PM
The standard build would be Paladin/Sorcerer into some Gish PrC.
The problem with DN is that you don't get the combat buffs or utility spells
I suppose you could use Arcane Disciple to grab a domain for your DN, which would give you some buffs — but even then that's very limited.

JeminiZero
2013-02-11, 09:57 PM
So I was thinking about Charisma-based characters, I sort of want to play a paladin or knight, but they can get a bit bland, so I was thinking of multiclassing.

Heres a thought: Crusader. Semi-divine knight with strong Alignment tendencies, and some Charisma use (but mostly Strength and Con like most other knights). Also, NOT bland.

Silva Stormrage
2013-02-12, 04:11 AM
Here is a decent simple build. Paladin of Slaughter/Tyranny 3 Dread Necromancer 2/Horned Harbinger 10/X 5

Gets you charisma to saves, free healing, small DR, free minions from Horned Harbinger, and full progresses rebuke too! Horned Harbinger is 3/4 BAB so your to hit might be a bit low. But its low OP party so your minions should more than make up for it. Horned Harbinger is from Faiths and Pantheons, try to get your DM to wave the fluff requirements if you can they aren't really relevant...

ArcturusV
2013-02-12, 04:19 AM
You know... what about a Paladin/Bard combo? Evil Bards are... really freakin' scary. If you get someone who's smart enough to be REALLY evil with a Bard it turns into Nightmare Fuel and Paranoia Running Rampant. Having a Paladin of Tyranny added to it even up to just level 3 is guaranteeing that no one is going to resist you.

"You WILL bend to my will... with or without your precious sanity."

~Bardic Knight of Tyranny

Ashtagon
2013-02-12, 04:27 AM
Dirge singer bard prestige class may help there.

Malroth
2013-02-12, 06:14 AM
Metamagic song: Fel Drain sonic weapon :D

Sgt. Cookie
2013-02-12, 11:31 AM
Don't forget Devoted Performer! Kinda needed for Lawful Paladin builds.

Eonir
2013-02-12, 12:46 PM
PoS3/DN8/Duskblade3/AbjurantChamp5/spellsword1

Not pretty. But a pretty sweet Death Knight if I do say so myself.