PDA

View Full Version : Can my sword have 2 wand chambers?!?!

ddude987
2013-02-11, 10:34 PM
Hello all,
So I was reading Dungeonscape and saw wand chambers were a mundane thing that can be implemented in weapons. It says each chamber can hold a single wand but can I have two wands chambers? There is precedent in the Arms and Equipment guide with the Crossbow, Deathwand which has two wand chambers. If you could answer from RAW, RAI and also if you were DM how you would rule this that would be great!
Thanks forum members!

Cog
2013-02-11, 10:48 PM
Most pieces of equipment can have only one modification, though double weapons can support two (one on each end).
That seems fairly straightforward to me, and given the action-economy advantage that the modification provides, I see no reason to rule it otherwise.

ddude987
2013-02-11, 10:53 PM
That seems fairly straightforward to me, and given the action-economy advantage that the modification provides, I see no reason to rule it otherwise.

Thanks a bunch! Guess I need to read more carefully * embarrassed*

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-02-11, 10:54 PM
Heh. I have so many fond memories of my Warforged Artificer... a wand in each wrist, a wand in each weapon, and four tiny wands mounted on a Wand Bracelet on each wrist.

ddude987
2013-02-11, 11:04 PM
Heh. I have so many fond memories of my Warforged Artificer... a wand in each wrist, a wand in each weapon, and four tiny wands mounted on a Wand Bracelet on each wrist.

Sounds crazy! I wanted to have two wands in my sword so I could Nerveskitter and Wraithstrike without having to draw them.

ShadowFireLance
2013-02-11, 11:16 PM
Waaait, A wand chamber? as in, I can have a Bastard sword that can cast Inflict Moderate Wounds each time I attack? :smallconfused:

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-02-11, 11:19 PM
Waaait, A wand chamber? as in, I can have a Bastard sword that can cast Inflict Moderate Wounds each time I attack? :smallconfused:

No, but you can have a bastard sword, and a wand, and not have to use actions to switch between them.

If you have a way of quickening wand spells, this means that you can attack and cast in the same turn.

ShadowFireLance
2013-02-11, 11:22 PM
No, but you can have a bastard sword, and a wand, and not have to use actions to switch between them.

If you have a way of quickening wand spells, this means that you can attack and cast in the same turn.

Heh, my UMD just came in handy...:smallcool:

Rubik
2013-02-11, 11:49 PM
You can add a wand chamber to a wand, since you can use a wand as a dagger-equivalent (1d4 piercing damage), and a wand is the right size for a wand chamber, according to the wand chamber description...

Arcanist
2013-02-11, 11:55 PM
You can add a wand chamber to a wand, since you can use a wand as a dagger-equivalent (1d4 piercing damage), and a wand is the right size for a wand chamber, according to the wand chamber description...

Yo dawg...

andromax
2013-02-12, 12:04 AM
Don't forget to add wand chambers to your dastanas and bucklers!

Rubik
2013-02-12, 12:06 AM
Don't forget to add wand chambers to your dastanas and bucklers!And to your shield and shield/armor spikes.

ddude987
2013-02-12, 08:08 AM
And to your shield and shield/armor spikes.

You can add it to your armor spikes :smallcool: ... I guess my sword doesn't need two then!

Onerai
2013-02-12, 08:39 AM

:smallbiggrin: That needs to go in the dysfunctional rules collection, if it hasn't already!

As a DM, my immediate reaction without reading the rules would be based on the size of the weapon. Certainly I'd allow it in a double weapon such as a quarterstaff, or a reach pole-arm such as a longspear, glaive etc. But then, I am one of those DMs who gets tempted to slap people for trying to abuse RAW when common sense clearly dictates otherwise - like in the case above.

Barmoz
2013-02-12, 09:22 AM
Yo dawg...

I just snorted coffee out my nose

Axier
2013-02-12, 09:30 AM
See, you get a wand into everything you can equip with eachother...

two spiked gauntlets
two bucklers, with two spikes
two sleeve blades
two wrist blades
two knee blades
two boot blades
one meteor helm
one in your spiked armor
and one double weapon with two in them, for a grand total of:

18 Wands on hand! lol

Can you put a wand slot into a wand slot into a wand slot?

Slipperychicken
2013-02-12, 09:55 AM
18 Wands on hand! lol

And you have a Wand Bracelet, containing 4 weapons with wand chambers in them. The reasons to take it over the Wand Bracer are: it lets you switch the items as a Free action instead of a Swift, and to switch them without dropping them. It's also 12,000gp. Also wield a Deathwand Crossbow (as mentioned in OP) with a Wand Chamber.

modified in Bold.

two spiked gauntlets (2)
two bucklers, with two spikes (2)
two sleeve blades (2)
two wrist blades (2)
two knee blades (2)
two boot blades (2)
one meteor helm (1)
one in your spiked armor (1)
One Wand Bracelet (4)
and one Deathwand Crossbow with a wand chamber in it (3)

for a grand total of: 21 Wands

Iron Man Wandificer anyone? Full Plate with at-will fly attached, plus shooting fell drain magic missiles out of every body part. At least several of them will go toward utility spells (Knock?) and buffs, because it's difficult to activate 21 wands in one round.

ddude987
2013-02-12, 10:08 AM
And you have a Wand Bracelet, containing 4 weapons with wand chambers in them. The reasons to take it over the Wand Bracer are: it lets you switch the items as a Free action instead of a Swift, and to switch them without dropping them. It's also 12,000gp. Also wield a Deathwand Crossbow (as mentioned in OP) with a Wand Chamber.

modified in Bold.

Iron Man Wandificer anyone? Full Plate with at-will fly attached, plus shooting fell drain magic missiles out of every body part.

Don't forget a wand of Fireball!

Slipperychicken
2013-02-12, 10:12 AM
Don't forget a wand of Fireball!

Explosive Spell Fireball. To give it that extra oomph of making the blast throw people 20ft away.

And some of the Orbs (fire, acid, cold, sonic, force). And Searing Spell Scorching Ray if you must have lasers.

ddude987
2013-02-12, 10:57 AM
Explosive Spell Fireball. To give it that extra oomph of making the blast throw people 20ft away.

And some of the Orbs (fire, acid, cold, sonic, force). And Searing Spell Scorching Ray if you must have lasers.

Maybe I'll make Iron-Man as my next character.

Person_Man
2013-02-12, 11:41 AM
Maybe I'll make Iron-Man as my next character.

Magitech Templar (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9782788)

As a side note, I've found that wand chambers are most useful for Paladins, Rangers, Bards, Hexblades, and other half or 3/4 casters. They tend to have a good number of spells that work well in melee, but a sufficient number of spell slots, and thus rely on wands more heavily then full casters.