PDA

View Full Version : 3.5, Item that generates darkness/deeper darkness spell effect

Socko525
2013-02-11, 10:49 PM
Hi all,

Just curious if anyone knew of an item out there that could be used to generate darkness/deeper darkness.

I know there are daylight pellets in the MIC, but I can't seem to find a darkness equivalent anywhere.

I could easily just create them for my players, but do you think making them just the inverse of daylight pellets is a wise decision? (i.e. price and effect/number of pellets)

Let me know what you think...it would make for a slightly more useful "ninja vanish" than smoke pellets/bombs IMO.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-02-11, 10:59 PM
Eternal Wand, MIC.

Any stealthy character should wear a tiny pendant on a cord around their neck, and hire an NPC Cleric to cast (Extended) Deeper Darkness on it periodically. They can put the pendant in their mouth to block the darkness effect, and when in trouble 'drop' it as a free action by spitting it out. When so dropped it will fall back into place hanging around their neck, and immediately plunge the area into darkness.

Socko525
2013-02-11, 11:02 PM
Genius!

I think the reason they were looking for it was more to be able to throw something into a room and fill it with darkness (even though they wouldnt be able to see either) but either way this works just the same, thanks!

AntiTrust
2013-02-12, 03:22 AM
Drow of the Underdark has a 200gp bottle called "Bottled Night". You throw it and it creates a zone of darkness. Its pg 101

From that same book is the metamagic feat Umbral Spell which adds a darkness descriptor to certain spells you cast, not really what you wanted, but I thought I'd mention it. That's pg 52-53

Darrin
2013-02-12, 01:07 PM
Darklight (Secrets of Sarlona p. 140). 80' radius, four modes, two of which are total darkness and shadowy illumination. It's a psionic item, though, so it costs at least 1 PP to activate.

Greenish
2013-02-12, 01:51 PM
Darklight (Secrets of Sarlona p. 140). 80' radius, four modes, two of which are total darkness and shadowy illumination. It's a psionic item, though, so it costs at least 1 PP to activate.You don't need to have PP yourself, though. The lamp can be stored with 7 PP, and burns them at the rate of 1 PP/24 h when activated, so you could go for quite a while between recharging it with most uses.

Note, though, that it only changes ambient illumination level, so even the complete darkness created by it would be non-magical.