PDA

View Full Version : In Search of....

Iskajir
2013-02-12, 06:32 AM
(and yes, I tried the spell searcher, with no luck)

Either:
~A 1st level RAY spell on the wizard list that progresses 1dx/level (not per 2 levels)
OR
~A 3rd level ranged touch spell on the wizard list that progress 1dx/level, caps at 10+, and has no save to reduce the damage

Damage type is irrelevant. Any WotC source is ok. Thanks everyone!!

JeminiZero
2013-02-12, 07:16 AM
~A 3rd level ranged touch spell on the wizard list that progress 1dx/level, caps at 10+, and has no save to reduce the damage

Uh... Scorching Ray (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/scorchingRay.htm)? Its 4d6 per 4 levels though, and caps at 12d6.

nedz
2013-02-12, 07:25 AM
Here's a list I prepared earlier.
I'm not sure it's complete, it's based on spells in the PH + SpC.

Ray type Spells
{table=head]Level|Type|School|Special|Name|Source|Notes
-|-|-|-|-|-
0th|Ray|Evo|*|Ray of Frost|PH|
0th|Orb|Conj|*|Acid Splash|PH|
1st|Ray|Nec||Ray of Enfeeblement|PH|(d6 +1/2 CL Str)
1st|Ray|Tra||Ray of Clumsyness|SpC|(d6 +1/2 CL Dex)
1st|Ray|Evo|*|Ray of Flame|SpC|(d6/2 CL), may ignite
1st|Ray|Div||Targeting Ray|SpC|(gives you and allies +1/3 CLs on ranged attacks)
2nd|Ray|Evo|*|Scorching Ray|PH|(4d6 fire, +1 ray/4 CL)
2nd|Ray|Ench|*|Ray of Stupidity|SpC|(d4+1 Int)
2nd|Ray|Ench||Sting Ray|SpC|(1 action per rd, +2 ac, ...)
2nd|Ray|Evo|*|Blast of Force|SpC|(d6/2 CL force, Knockdown)
2nd|Ray|Evo|*|Rainbow beam|SpC|(dazzled, d12/3 random)
2nd|Ray|Evo|*|Ray of Ice|SpC|(d6/2 CL cold), cannot move
2nd|Ray|Nec||Ray of Sickness|SpC|
2nd|Ray|Nec||Ray of Weakness|SpC|(-2 att, -10' speed)
2nd|Ray|Nec||Escalating Enfeeblement|SpC|(gives higher penalty to str on creatures with damage/penalty to ability scores or who are exhausted/fatigued)
2nd|Ray|Evo||Seeking Ray|SpC|(4d6 electric, 4 to hit with ray spells for CL rounds) SA
2nd|Ray|Nec|*|Life Bolt|SpC|(1d12 damage to undead per ray. 1 extra ray per 2 CLs above 1st, max 5 at 9. take 1 nonlethal dmg per ray that hits) SA
3rd|Ray|Nec||Ray of Exhaustion|SpC|(half speed, -6 Str, Dex)
3rd|Lance|Evo|*R|Icelance|SpC|+4 to hit,6d6 cold/pierce,Fort Stunn d4 rds)
3rd|Ray|Ench||Ray of Dizzyness|SpC|
3rd|Ray|Tra||Rust Ray|SpC|
3rd|Ray|Nec||Greater Disrupt Undead|SpC|(1d8/2CL damage to undead (cap 10), allows you to redirect overkill damage to secondary target) SA
4th|Ray|Nec|*|Ennervation|PH|(d4 neg levels)
4th|Ray|Abj||Ray of deanimation|SpC|(d6/ to construct)
[/table]

* Damage - eligible for sneak, skirimish etc.
R Ranged - not Range Touch

Div Divination
Evo Evocation
Tra Transformation
Ench Enchantment
Conj Conjuration
Nec Necro

Iskajir
2013-02-12, 07:49 AM
Uh... Scorching Ray (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/scorchingRay.htm)? Its 4d6 per 4 levels though, and caps at 12d6.

Which would be quite splendid if I wasn't looking to maximize damage very specifically at CL 6. At CL 7, Scorching Ray is pretty awesome. Hence the very specific nature of the OP.

I checked through a large number of books, but found neither of the types of spells I was looking for. I posted in hopes that somebody knew of something in a particularly obscure source.

Onerai
2013-02-12, 09:13 AM
Which would be quite splendid if I wasn't looking to maximize damage very specifically at CL 6. At CL 7, Scorching Ray is pretty awesome. Hence the very specific nature of the OP.

I checked through a large number of books, but found neither of the types of spells I was looking for. I posted in hopes that somebody knew of something in a particularly obscure source.

If you have a feat going between 3rd and 6th level, grab "Fiery Burst" from complete mage. Ignore the at will (Su) ability, you want it for the uncapped +1CL to fire spells. Then at 6th level your scorching ray is cast at CL7th if you're a full caster, giving you that juicy second ray.

Darrin
2013-02-12, 01:12 PM
~A 1st level RAY spell on the wizard list that progresses 1dx/level (not per 2 levels)
OR

Hmm. Ice dagger (SC)? Ranged touch attack, damage 1d4/CL, Max 5d4. Doesn't say it's a ray, though. Also, there's hail of stone, not a ray, but 1d4/CL, Max 5d4.

Menzath
2013-02-12, 01:30 PM
Spells as Sneak Attacks

Any spell that requires an attack roll and deals damage can be used in a sneak attack. In this case "damage" is normal damage, nonlethal damage, ability damage, or energy drain. You can sneak attack with a Melf's acid arrow spell, but not with a magic missile spell.

Ranged spells are effective as sneak attacks only at ranges of 30 feet or less (just like any other ranged sneak attack).

A successful sneak attack with a weaponlike spell inflicts extra damage according to the attacker's sneak attack ability, and the extra damage dealt is the same type as the spell deals. For example, a 10th-level rogue who makes a successful sneak attack with a Melf's acid arrow spell inflicts 2d4 points of acid damage, plus an extra 5d6 points of acid damage from the sneak attack (note that continuing damage from this spell is not part of the sneak attack). Spells that inflict energy drains or ability damage deal extra negative energy damage in a sneak attack, not extra negative levels or ability damage. For example, a 10th-level rogue who makes a successful sneak attack with an enervation spell deals 1d4 negative levels plus an extra 5d6 points of negative energy damage.

If the sneak attack with a weaponlike spell results in a critical

Okay so this is quoted from http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040309a
Straight from the horses mouth that even spells that do ability drain/damage still can sneak attack, but the added damage is negative energy, nothing to do with the op's post but Nedz list of what you can sneak attack with may need to be updated.

nedz
2013-02-12, 04:00 PM
Spells as Sneak Attacks

Any spell that requires an attack roll and deals damage can be used in a sneak attack. In this case "damage" is normal damage, nonlethal damage, ability damage, or energy drain. You can sneak attack with a Melf's acid arrow spell, but not with a magic missile spell.

Ranged spells are effective as sneak attacks only at ranges of 30 feet or less (just like any other ranged sneak attack).

A successful sneak attack with a weaponlike spell inflicts extra damage according to the attacker's sneak attack ability, and the extra damage dealt is the same type as the spell deals. For example, a 10th-level rogue who makes a successful sneak attack with a Melf's acid arrow spell inflicts 2d4 points of acid damage, plus an extra 5d6 points of acid damage from the sneak attack (note that continuing damage from this spell is not part of the sneak attack). Spells that inflict energy drains or ability damage deal extra negative energy damage in a sneak attack, not extra negative levels or ability damage. For example, a 10th-level rogue who makes a successful sneak attack with an enervation spell deals 1d4 negative levels plus an extra 5d6 points of negative energy damage.

If the sneak attack with a weaponlike spell results in a critical

Okay so this is quoted from http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040309a
Straight from the horses mouth that even spells that do ability drain/damage still can sneak attack, but the added damage is negative energy, nothing to do with the op's post but Nedz list of what you can sneak attack with may need to be updated.

I am aware if this, and my list is correct.

The only possible exception is Ray of deanimation, but constructs are immune to precision damage.

What may be confusing you are the spells which inflict Penalties instead of damage.

Onerai
2013-02-12, 06:12 PM
Drawing blanks here, I think the above posters have it pretty extensively covered. Only other stuff I can think of are the "Orb of _____, Lesser" spells from complete arcane; not strictly rays but ranged touch as level 1 spells. Damage at CL 6th would be 3d8, or 4d8 if you could push your CL to 7 (again, the Fiery Burst feat would help there).

Menzath
2013-02-12, 06:34 PM
/nod, stupid temp. ability penalties They are annoying. but Ray of exhaustion is temp. ability drain according to RAW, is it not?

nedz
2013-02-12, 08:53 PM
/nod, stupid temp. ability penalties They are annoying. but Ray of exhaustion is temp. ability drain according to RAW, is it not?
Rules of the Game is not RAW, they're often just Skip's house rules.

In this case "damage" is normal damage, nonlethal damage, ability damage, or energy drain.
In any event Ray of exhaustion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/rayOfExhaustion.htm) does none of the above.

Menzath
2013-02-12, 09:05 PM
derp my bad, meant enfeeblement, but either way yer correct.