PDA

View Full Version : monster races

Chaos018
2013-02-12, 10:03 AM
I'm having trouble finding the book where it adjusts current 3.5 unplayable monster races so as players can play them. Such as the Formians. I was told it was somewhere but I cannot find out where, you guys mind helping a guy out? Trying to avoid creating races (yes, I am doing so right now, but having trouble as it is) and would like this as a reference. Right now, I am trying to create a race that is LA +0, CR .5 out of an insect race. Rather not have to go through it more so I Am trying to find a race that fits and most that do, well, aren't playable as per Monster Manuals. I could post what I have but I will wait to see if this first request can be given, :D

BowStreetRunner
2013-02-12, 10:42 AM
I believe you are referring to Savage Species (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Savage_Species).

Flickerdart
2013-02-12, 10:46 AM
There are the Dromites in XPH - LA+1, CR 1/2. The next lowest are Thri-Kreen who have several versions, the weakest of which is LA+2 and 2 RHD. Either one would be a better starting point than Formians for creating an LA0 race.

Chaos018
2013-02-12, 11:13 AM
There are the Dromites in XPH - LA+1, CR 1/2. The next lowest are Thri-Kreen who have several versions, the weakest of which is LA+2 and 2 RHD. Either one would be a better starting point than Formians for creating an LA0 race.

Actually, in my trying to make a race, I did use Dromites more as a reference, trying to strip much to make it LA +0, even changing the stats.

Here's what I got

"Pseudo-ants" (No true name right now, I just call them this for the time being)
Small Outsider (native) (with the standard bonuses and disadvantages of this size minus carrying capacity)
20ft land speed, burrow speed in soft ground/trees 20ft
+2 Con, -2 Int
-immunity to radiation/poison
-+1 natural armor
-+2 Survive, -2 Bluff
-Darkvision 60ft
-Compound Eyes (racial +2 Spot)
-not slowed down due to terrain or armor w/ carrying capacity same as a Medium creature
-cold sensitivity
--takes more damage from spells of the cold descriptor, Will save DC 18 to remain conscious
--in presence of cold weather (endure elements does not negate), Will save DC 18 to remain conscious without going into hibernation (roll made hourly).
-automatic languages: Common, (insert race name)
--bonus: Dwarven, Gnome, Goblin, Terran, Undercommon, Sylvan, Draconic (these were chosen due to regional distribution due to worldbuilding, seeing as the closest races to these things will speak these languages)
-alignment: heavily lawful, but not restricted to it (society was built with ants in mind, lol, they tend to shun chaos and usually throw out those that show this tendency. Those that return, if they survive outside the colony, may or may not serve their Queen Mother in the outside world, depending on the Queen's disposition)

There is another subspecies of this race that I patterned after the fire ants:

+2 Dex, -2 Int
replace immunity to radiation/poison with fire/poison
replace skill bonus to survive with intimidate, and bluff with diplomacy
gains a natural psi-like ability of an energy ray (fire) (this is negotiable, I am not sure of this. May make this part of a regional feat that I was told will be allowed to each race or nation in this world)

I believe you are referring to Savage Species.

Thanks, I will look into it right away.

Greenish
2013-02-12, 02:10 PM
The next lowest are Thri-Kreen who have several versions, the weakest of which is LA+2 and 2 RHD.The non-psionic Thri-Kreen of Shining South have +1 LA.