PDA

View Full Version : [PFS] Pathfinder Savant: What are good cross-class spells?

RndmNumGen
2013-02-12, 11:13 AM
So I've got a Divination Wizard 5/Savant 2 (Opposed Abjuration & Enchantment) who just leveled up, and I'm taking my first Esoteric Magic spell. The description states:

At each class level beyond 1st, the Arcane savant chooses a spell from any class’s spell list and thereafter treats it as if it were on the spell list of his base spellcasting classes; if his base class could not normally cast that spell, it is treated as 1 level higher. The spell’s type (arcane or divine) and save DCs function as normal for his base spellcasting class. All other restrictions of his normal spellcasting class apply. This ability does not allow other spellcasters to prepare, cast, or use spell trigger or spell completion items of esoteric spells (such as a sorcerer using a cure light wounds scroll).

The way this breaks down is that you get to add a spell that isn't normally on your list, to your list, when you can then learn and cast normally. There is some RAW/RAI debate as to what happens if the spell is already on your list; I don't want to focus on that in this thread. For now, let's assume that any spell added with Esotetic Magic is cast at +1 from the class which gets it at the lowest spell level. Essentially, if you take Summon Monster VII, a 5th level Summoner spell, you can cast it as a 6th level wizard as opposed to 7th. If you take Raise Dead, a 5th level Cleric spell, you can cast it as a 6th level wizard as opposed to never.

What are some good spells to take with this ability? I was considering the following:

Litany of Sloth: Even as a 2nd-level spell this can be good for an 'Oh sh*t' moment. No save, enemy does not get AoOs or casting defensively for a round. Main drawback for me here is that it is an Enchantment spell, so I would need 2 2nd-level spells to prepare it... suddenly a lot more costly.

Utter Contempt: This one would let me toy around with people's feelings 2 spell levels early, essentially. I can think of plenty of situations where making two people mad at each other can be beneficial. Sadly, it's another Enchantment spell.

Overwhelming Presence: Another Enchantment(I think I'm seeing a pattern here) that would let me cast OP 2 levels early as well. This time it's a multiple target will save or be Helpless, then Staggered afterwards.

So... yeah. Can anyone think of other good spells to take with this(especially non-enchantments?) If I realized how many there were I wouldn't have taken it as my opposition school, but it's a little late for that now.

Hand_of_Vecna
2013-02-12, 11:49 AM
Are you restricted to only Pathfinder?

If it weren't for the conservative reading you stated I'd say: Summoner Haste, Summoner Gate etc.

Oh, what other casters do you have? There's some low level utility buffs that wizard might like to have, but it would be a waste to grab them if you can get them from a native caster.

doko239
2013-02-12, 04:40 PM
Some ideas (3rd level and lower):

Murderous Command: Will save or kill your buddy as a 2nd level spell.

Death Knell: Kill one creature, get untyped +1 bonus to CL. Put this on a wand and kill some bunnies for caster levels.

Grace: Do not provoke AOO for movement for one round. Uses should be obvious.

Sanctuary: Depending on how you define "attack spell", this is either situational or the best spell you could get.

RndmNumGen
2013-02-12, 05:50 PM
It's Pathfinder Society, so yes, Pathfinder-only and allies may change with the game. Also the reason I picked the conservative reading; there's no set GM to clear things with, so it's a 'better safe than sorry' approach.

I like Murderous Command, but like so many other's it's Enchantment, which I've opposed. Sort of kicking myself over that now.

Death Knell looks great, especially if I grab a Rod of Extend for extra juicy stacking. Thanks for this recommendation :smallamused:

Grace is more-or-less interchangeable with Litany of Sloth. Both stop AoOs, both have their own pros/cons. Unfortunately, one is Abjuration and one is Enchantment; once again, my opposed schools.

Sanctuary... could be useful. Once again, it's Abjuration though :smallfrown:

doko239
2013-02-12, 06:13 PM
Some more suggestions:

Bladed Dash - Magus spell, allows you to move up to your speed without provoking an AOO, making one melee attack at any point during your move, with a bonus on your attack roll equal to your Int modifier. Useful to reposition yourself in a tight spot. Also useful for delivering touch-range spells.

Arcana Theft - Another Magus spell, this one steals a spell effect from your target and applies it to you. 4th level, and requires a touch attack, so YMMV.

Bestow Grace of the Champion - Could be funny. Instant Paladin, just add stick to ass. Could be a very nice buff in a combat situation.

Anthropomorphic Animal - Cast on your familiar, give him a wand. Enjoy.

RndmNumGen
2013-02-12, 06:20 PM
Ohh, I really like Bladed Dash, and Bestow Grace of the Champion just seems hilarious. Especially when combined with Death Knell. "What's that? Oh, yeah. My CL is boosted by evil necromantic energies. Enjoy your empowered Smite Evil as a result."

RndmNumGen
2013-02-12, 09:12 PM
Found another one; Bloodsworn Retribution(Ranger 3).

It's a bit risky, since you need to sacrifice your own HP for it(something that Wizards don't have a ton of), but getting a permanent potential +5 bonus to SR checks, all your saves, skill checks and attack rolls is pretty sweet.

I am curious how it would interact with False Life.

doko239
2013-02-13, 01:23 AM
Found another one; Bloodsworn Retribution(Ranger 3).

It's a bit risky, since you need to sacrifice your own HP for it(something that Wizards don't have a ton of), but getting a permanent potential +5 bonus to SR checks, all your saves, skill checks and attack rolls is pretty sweet.

I am curious how it would interact with False Life.

If I were the GM, I'd interpret it as reducing your maximum hit points, so temp HP wouldn't have any effect.

RndmNumGen
2013-02-13, 03:01 AM
If I were the GM, I'd interpret it as reducing your maximum hit points, so temp HP wouldn't have any effect.

Fair enough. In other news, I actually found a developer quote ruling in favor of the more liberal interpretation of the ability, so Summoner Haste, etc. are back on the table.

Suddo
2013-02-13, 11:47 AM
In other news, I actually found a developer quote ruling in favor of the more liberal interpretation of the ability, so Summoner Haste, etc. are back on the table.

Can I get a link as I now know about this prestige class I want to play it. Is it only from the PDF?

Edit: Oh right there is a sweet Path to Prestige book.

RndmNumGen
2013-02-13, 01:39 PM
Can I get a link as I now know about this prestige class I want to play it. Is it only from the PDF?

Edit: Oh right there is a sweet Path to Prestige book.

There is that book, yes, but Pathfinder Savant isn't actually in it. Paths of Prestige deal more with regional PRCs, like the Mammoth Rider. Savant is actually in the Seekers of Secrets book, which is a guide to the Pathfinder Society.