PDA

View Full Version : Tourist Destinations in New York and tavel log.

Hazzardevil
2013-02-12, 12:27 PM
So, I am (weather permitting) going to New York on a school trip this Friday. I will be going to tourist attractions and was wondering where people would recommend I go?

I know I'm going to the Empire State Building and can't go to the Statue of Liberty.

What would y'all recommend?

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-12, 01:19 PM
Spend some time wandering around Central Park. Actually, walk through Central Park to either the Museum of Natural History or the Met (they're on opposite sides though and if you only have one day you probably won't have time to do both).

Don't get lunch at Times Square. It's underwhelming and overpriced.

Hazzardevil
2013-02-12, 05:15 PM
What do you mean by the Met? The Metro?
I don't think we have time for the Natural History museum because we're only there for an afternoon or two.

I think the OCD teacher running the trip planned for us to get lunch in a salad bar or something, we're told hardly anything about the damn thing.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-12, 05:20 PM
What do you mean by the Met? The Metro?
I don't think we have time for the Natural History museum because we're only there for an afternoon or two.

I think the OCD teacher running the trip planned for us to get lunch in a salad bar or something, we're told hardly anything about the damn thing.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art, and try to find out where you're eating.

Scarlet Knight
2013-02-12, 08:27 PM
Ok, remember that NY is so full of attractions, that you can vacation there for a week.

This is a school trip so I assume you're in high school & your spots are picked. Do NOT leave your group! NY is not to be trifled with.

That said, if you are still trying to decide on spots:

The Museum Mile ( with the Metropolitan Museum of Art & The Guggenheim) may be too far. But if you go to the Museum of Natural History, it will be reasonable.

Closer to the Empire State is the United Nations, Broadway, Carnegie Hall, St Patrick's Cathedral, MOMA ( Museum of Modern Art), & MSG ( Madison Square Garden) .

It's a shame you're not going in warmer weather as "people watching" is amazing. Unfortunately Downtown with Little Italy,Chinatown, Soho, Tribeca, & the Village may be out of reach.

TaiLiu
2013-02-12, 11:49 PM
...Chinatown...

I recommend this location as well.

Hazzardevil
2013-02-13, 04:31 PM
Ok, remember that NY is so full of attractions, that you can vacation there for a week.

This is a school trip so I assume you're in high school & your spots are picked. Do NOT leave your group! NY is not to be trifled with.

That said, if you are still trying to decide on spots:

The Museum Mile ( with the Metropolitan Museum of Art & The Guggenheim) may be too far. But if you go to the Museum of Natural History, it will be reasonable.

Closer to the Empire State is the United Nations, Broadway, Carnegie Hall, St Patrick's Cathedral, MOMA ( Museum of Modern Art), & MSG ( Madison Square Garden) .

It's a shame you're not going in warmer weather as "people watching" is amazing. Unfortunately Downtown with Little Italy,Chinatown, Soho, Tribeca, & the Village may be out of reach.

The Chinese new year has been announced as something we do.
I asked about tourist areas because the girls are doing "retail therapy" on an afternoon or two so me and other boys will have the teachers taking us anywhere we suggest if it's in reach.

I will do a travel log in this thread if I can but that depends on internet connection.

I asked yesterday if they'd ever lost anyone, I was told no and that if I became the first they would hire assassins to track me down and kill me.

SarahV
2013-02-14, 03:02 PM
I would agree with the Metropolitan Museum. It's not just an art museum, it's also archeological (African/Egyptian/Roman/Greek/etc.) and there is a cool weapons and armor collection... there's something for everyone :) The last time I was there they had an exhibition on comics/cartoons.

To me, New York is about the culture: music, museums, theater, food, etc. The "sights" aren't that big a deal... but the cultural opportunies are unique.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-14, 04:42 PM
I would agree with the Metropolitan Museum. It's not just an art museum, it's also archeological (African/Egyptian/Roman/Greek/etc.) and there is a cool weapons and armor collection... there's something for everyone :) The last time I was there they had an exhibition on comics/cartoons.

To me, New York is about the culture: music, museums, theater, food, etc. The "sights" aren't that big a deal... but the cultural opportunies are unique.

I personally prefer the Museum of Natural History, but then again I am a biology major. Also, dinosaurs!

thubby
2013-02-14, 05:21 PM
ground zero and there's a nearby "museum" everyone keeps raving about.
empire state building is a classic.

if you don't already live in the tristate, buy pizza. any owner run place will be good. and yes there is a big difference from everywhere else.

i second central park. take some time to watch a couple of artists or buskers. there's bound to be some.

there will be internet, it's everywhere a tourist should be.

snoopy13a
2013-02-14, 09:49 PM

I agree. NY is a fun town. The only problem is that it isn't a cheap town :smallfrown: .

Haruki-kun
2013-02-14, 10:14 PM
ground zero and there's a nearby "museum" everyone keeps raving about.

There is one. It should be pointed out, though, that the Ground Zero Memorial is still under construction and can't be accessed by the general public, so if you're going there JUST to see the memorial don't bother if you have other things you want to do more. If you're going for the museum then it's OK.

I would also encourage you to go to 30 Rockefeller Plaza, St. Patrick's Cathedral, and to consider going to see a show. I went to see the Phantom of the Opera and it was amazing.

And if you want souvenirs, drop by Nintendo World, the M&M Store, the Hershey's store, NBC's store, the Lego Store, the Disney Store... and buy a hot dog! Make SURE you buy a hot dog!

Darn it, I want to go again...

JoshL
2013-02-14, 10:36 PM
I personally prefer the Museum of Natural History, but then again I am a biology major. Also, dinosaurs!

And I prefer MOMA! But a good time can be had at any.

Hazzardevil
2013-02-15, 03:34 PM
Day 1 of travel log.
In true tiurist fashion I lost my wallet on the plane.
People keep asking me if I have been told by the airport if it has been found.:smallfurious:
I would tell you if I knew!

We are playing taxi spotting.
In 20 minutes I have seen over 220.

6 hourflight was fine, we arrived and I noticed my watch which tells you the dat e was mucked up by air pressure.

I am doing a gnagnam style flashmob tomorrow in times square apparently, but this wasn't mentioned in the meeting last Wednesday. I will say if this is happening if possible and any New Yorkshiremen can join in.

It is now 3:29

Forrestfire
2013-02-15, 03:39 PM
When/if you go to Chinatown, you should check out the restaurant Shanghai Gourmet (http://www.yelp.com/biz/shanghai-gourmet-new-york-2).

Their specialty is soup dumplings (steamed dumplings with broth in them in addition to meat), and it is the single best Chinese food dish I have ever eaten.

CigarPete
2013-02-15, 03:43 PM
If you've not yet made your decisions, I will echo the Museum of Natural History and Central Park. It's also worth making the trek uptown to go to the Cloisters. Better in the spring when the gardens are in bloom, but still pretty cool.

Hazzardevil
2013-02-15, 03:54 PM
When/if you go to Chinatown, you should check out the restaurant Shanghai Gourmet (http://www.yelp.com/biz/shanghai-gourmet-new-york-2).

Their specialty is soup dumplings (steamed dumplings with broth in them in addition to meat), and it is the single best Chinese food dish I have ever eaten.
I will if I can.

If you've not yet made your decisions, I will echo the Museum of Natural History and Central Park. It's also worth making the trek uptown to go to the Cloisters. Better in the spring when the gardens are in bloom, but still pretty cool.

I would rather go to the metro honestly, I find much of natural history boring
Also, which one is night at the museum based in?

CigarPete
2013-02-15, 03:58 PM
Never seen it, but the Metropolitan Museum of Art (The Met, not to be confused with the Metropolitan Opera, also The Met) would be be my supposition. The Met is really cool, but massive. You can easily take several days to see all the exhibits they have on at one time.

Scarlet Knight
2013-02-15, 08:41 PM

Night at the Museum is shot outside the Museum of Natural History. Be forewarned that the exhibits in the movie don't match the real thing ( ie Don't go looking for Huns...)

Also, good idea to eat in Chinatown; the food is great.

Plus, if you eat in Little Italy, the odds are that you will miss your flight back....

Thump
2013-02-16, 03:32 AM
Top of the Rock is pretty neat as well. (Rockefeller Tower, if I remember the name correctly.)

If you're into any kind of music, I believe either 42nd or 46th street (one of those) consists mostly of music and guitar stores.

Hazzardevil
2013-02-16, 06:27 AM
Night at the Museum is shot outside the Museum of Natural History. Be forewarned that the exhibits in the movie don't match the real thing ( ie Don't go looking for Huns...)

Also, good idea to eat in Chinatown; the food is great.

Plus, if you eat in Little Italy, the odds are that you will miss your flight back....

Why would I miss the flight by going to Italy?

End of day 1 journal:
Bubba Gumps was loud and had very nice Cheeseburgers that most of the 38 people ordered. I Hesitate to call it restaraunt.
Raspberry ice tea is just flavoured ice and giving 4 boys 2 double beds is a bad idea.

Day 2:

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-16, 01:00 PM

End of day 1 journal:
Bubba Gumps was loud and had very nice Cheeseburgers that most of the 38 people ordered. I Hesitate to call it restaraunt.
Raspberry ice tea is just flavoured ice and giving 4 boys 2 double beds is a bad idea.

Day 2:

Please don't tell me you ate in Times Square.

Scarlet Knight
2013-02-16, 01:21 PM
Day 2:

No, if they start feeding you there, the odds are that you'll never leave the table...unless you get caught in a tourist trap. Then they'll rush you out with barely a canoli....:smallfrown:

Haruki-kun
2013-02-16, 04:57 PM

What's wrong with eating in Times Square? Most of us don't get to go there often. :smallfrown:

Hazzardevil
2013-02-16, 05:39 PM
If you mean on the street, no. I ate in the restaraunt.

No, if they start feeding you there, the odds are that you'll never leave the table...unless you get caught in a tourist trap. Then they'll rush you out with barely a canoli....:smallfrown:

Don't worry, there's 42 of us, they can't trap all of us.

Scarlet Knight
2013-02-23, 08:00 PM
I told youse not to underestimate NY; 8 days and no word. Can't trap 42 tourists my Aunt Fanny...

snoopy13a
2013-02-23, 08:07 PM

I don't know; I think it'd be ironically fun to eat at the Times Square Applebee's.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-28, 01:04 PM
I don't know; I think it'd be ironically fun to eat at the Times Square Applebee's.

Not if you're just visiting and so only have a few days.

Hazzardevil
2013-03-02, 06:34 AM
I didn't get trapped! Just massively jet lagged and it caused monday, tuesday and wednesday to blur together, then I forgot about this...

Day 2: We walked around a lot of New York, I got picture of Brooklyn Bridge and worked out how to use my camera properly. We also went to the St Patricks Cathedral, I pointed out how I can't get away from the things and then I upset a man handing out leaflets.

We ate at the Empire State building, we just had plates of food shoved in front of us and me and the boy I'm sharing a bed with got put on a table for 2 on our own and people made endless gay jokes about us.

We then went to the cheapest part of the Empire State because it's $80 to the top and $50 to pat way up.
It was cold, the sights were amazing and I couldn't get any good pictures because of the way the camera on my Samsung sees lights.

Day 3: More Wandering and I went to central park. We also went on the train again. It's like the London Underground only dirtier and the card scanning system doesn't work well.
It really excites the teachers when our cards work.

Day 4: We went to the top of the Rockafella building and I got much better views and enjoyed in a whole lot more.
I also accidentally pressed the alarm button in the lift out and I said in the most British upper class accent I've ever heard:
"There's nothing wrong, all is fine, I accidentally pressed the button..... Again."
And all 20 odd people in the lift started laughing as I said it.

We arrived at the airport home in the evening. I fell into a bout of depression sitting at a table on my own.
The plane brought me over from Monday to Tuesday so they blurred together.