PDA

View Full Version : Need help with rolling a Dragon Shaman

Hikarizu
2013-02-12, 12:48 PM
I am joining in a running campaign. Starting at 6th lvl, PHB and PHB2 only, 32 point buy.
STR 14, DEX 14, CON 16+1, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 14
Race: Human, maybe change it to Dragonborn if DM gives in.
Dragon Totem: Copper
Auras: Energy shield, Power, Senses, Toughness, Vigor(getting resistance next lvl)
What feats should I get and should I multiclass?(if yes, into what)
The party is Duskblade, Begulier and Fighter/Rogue, probably not very or at all optimized.

RagnaroksChosen
2013-02-12, 01:39 PM
Ill be honest with you the Toughness Aura is not as good as it looks. One of my players took it and used it once now he uses the Damage shield or the one from I think Dragon magic that increase initiative.

urbanwolf
2013-02-12, 02:32 PM
yes to multiclass, in that your first level should be barbarian.

The extra Skill points at first level are a big boon, fast move and rage will both come in handy and most importantly martial weapon proficiency otherwise you are stuck with simple. This also opens up more feat choices for first level.

With only PH and PHII you won't be bale to power up your breath weapon so you might consider

Power Attack, Combat reflexes, Vexing Flanker and Weapon Focus( Two Handed Reach weapon of Choice )

Psyren
2013-02-12, 04:36 PM
I suggest you roll DFA instead, and simply get the auras you want with the Draconic Aura feat. Their breath weapon is much better and the invocations are very useful as well.

Keltaris
2013-02-12, 06:24 PM
I second Psyren's advice, if you can, go Dragonfire Adept: same fluff, better crunch.

In case you can't... maybe Paladin 2/Dragon Shaman 4 with Spirited Charge and wielding a lance for some charging fun?

Dunno.

RagnaroksChosen
2013-02-12, 11:29 PM
Ya I would go with urbanwolf based on your book restrictions and party.

I would go 1 barbarian and 5 dragon shaman...
You could even go
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#dragonTotemClassFeatur es

For fluff.

Power attack is a must, and then what ever melee feats you like.

Hikarizu
2013-02-13, 04:56 AM
Answers to replies in order:
I get all available to me auras at 9th lvl. One of Senses' bonuses is initiative checks.
I looked and looked for Dragonfire Adept in PHB and PHBII, but couldn't find it.
I was wondering if I should get a barbarian lvl even before I posted. No Dragon totem variant, I like the fast movement. I liked Vexing Flanker, should I get Adaptive Flanker too? And what about ability scores and magic items?(17 str, 14 con and get Amulet of Health?, or stick with this and get Gauntlets of Ogre Power)

nedz
2013-02-13, 05:51 AM
Dragonfire Adept is in Dragon Magic on page 24

Greenish
2013-02-13, 05:54 AM
Dragonfire Adept is in Dragon Magic on page 24Blue text is used to indicate sarcasm. Yeah, that's apparently a thing.

Darth_Versity
2013-02-13, 10:50 AM
First Line of the first post states PHB and PHB 2 ONLY

Thats kinda the clue that DFA is a no go guys.

Have you tried the Dragon Shaman Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214007)? While most feats are from other books it will still help look at what your better options are.

Amnestic
2013-02-13, 11:13 AM
First Line of the first post states PHB and PHB 2 ONLY

Thats kinda the clue that DFA is a no go guys.

But is that a restriction due to not having the book or because PHB1+2 are "balanced"? 'cos the DFA? It's totally online. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060912a&page=2) The only thing missing is in-depth descriptions of the Invocs. Most of them are either intuitive or likely explained elsewhere online (try finding a discussion on knowledges or diplomancy without at least a mention of Draconic Knowledge or Beguiling Influence!)

Psyren
2013-02-13, 11:17 AM
I looked and looked for Dragonfire Adept in PHB and PHBII, but couldn't find it.

Does your DM not have internet? It's online as stated. (I can only presume that you do.)

Hikarizu
2013-02-13, 11:37 AM
It's not that we don't have the books. It's more the DM still hasn't read all the material and sticks to basics. We are all new players and lack of familiarity with spells and etc messes with the DM's plans. In the first campaign an entangle spell reduced the final encounter (attack on the bandit camp) to a massacre. I know it can be solved by limiting just spells, but the DM is kinda stubborn that way. I am working on it. Besides Dragon Shaman is better for our situation, because the party lacks a tanky guy.

urbanwolf
2013-02-13, 02:08 PM
I would say no to Adaptive flanker if you are using a reach weapon, because you need to be adjacent. Also you probably won't have to worry much about flanking because your Fighter/rouge will be tumbling around like mad to flank most likely.

As for stats your party lacks a healer all they have is your Vigor aura; okay in combat, but you will want to have power up. Great for after combat ends though.

So you are gonna want the Con boost for more hit points, and by the time you get Touch of Vitality you might want to boost your CHA.

so 14 STR will do you fine for now.

you don't need that 10 in WIS you could drop it down to boost a different stat.

elvengunner69
2013-02-13, 02:13 PM
If the DM doesn't allow Dragonborn would he allow half dragon template? Gives a nice boost to Strength so you drop pts in other place...I think its LA +2 but the +8 (?) boost in STR is pretty nice.

Mr Adventurer
2013-02-13, 02:39 PM
Honestly I think Dragon Shamans are just completely terrible. If you are looking for a draconic character then with your book restrictions I recommend just re-flavouring a half-elf or something as a draconic-blooded person (low-light vision without any suspect stat mods) and playing a different class.

Buuut since you asked for feat and multiclass suggestions - I'd say it depends what you want: if you are keen on the breath weapon then Ability Focus (breath weapon) at 6th level? Wait, that's not in the PHB or the PHB2. Hm. I don't know then! But, again if you are keen on the breath weapon, multiclassing may not be a good idea because you delay your progression and lose out on the save DC.

Pesimismrocks
2013-02-13, 05:08 PM
You will be hard pressed to optimise a dragon shaman with only PH and PH2. If you can persuade your DM to let you have metabreath feats this would be a good start. If not, they really are awful compared to most other classes and are at essence reflavoured and weaker fighters with the hope that auras and a slow recharging breath weapon would compensate for the loss of combat abilities. It would be better to play a dragon-themed character- perhaps a barbarian or a cleric of Bahamut.

Immabozo
2013-02-13, 05:10 PM
My suggestion is to find a good steep hill. A hard shove should do the trick nicely.

urbanwolf
2013-02-13, 06:27 PM
Personally I love the Dragon Shaman and a Barbarian 1 Dragon Shaman 5 in an unoptimized party with a newer DM will do very well.

Without Metabreath feats your breath weapon won't hit for a lot but it also won't have a larger recharge time you can expect to use it 2-3 times in every battle.

The only important thing is that everyone is able to have fun

Hikarizu
2013-02-14, 01:03 AM
I forgot all about the handbook. Read it again. New ability scores: STR 14, DEX 12, CON 18, INT 8, WIS 8, CHA 14, race: still human, feats: Power Attack, Endurance, Steadfast Determination and for 6th level Leadership. For the cohort, probably a cleric of Bahamut.

Gnome Alone
2013-02-15, 11:34 AM
New ability scores: STR 14, DEX 12, CON 18, INT 8, WIS 8, CHA 14

"That dimwitted brick house of a man is surprisingly charming and confident."

"Yeah... keeps going on about dragons though."