PDA

View Full Version : How to price "+1 sword, +4 vs giants" and the likes in 3.5/PF

yougi
2013-02-12, 01:15 PM
My original post was not really directing the conversation in a direction that was useful to anyone, so I edited it to give it some structure.

Original post spoilered:
I'm really starting to miss these old schools weapons which got extra bonuses against certain enemies, as in the title. Yes, we have bane weapons, but (1) aside from ammunition, it's overpriced (not compared to its power, but to how often its useless), and (2) it's a bit restrictive in how its handled.

I had a 1E fighter who had a +2 warhammer, +4 against scaly humanoids. It led to many fun moments where we joked about if various humanoids were scaly. The famous Frostband and Fireband were +3 swords, +6 against fire/ice creatures (mainly elementals, giants and dragons). This kind of things is undoable as per RAW, and a custom item like that would be unpriceable as per the rules.

It also allowed us to get some cool weapons in between +1s and +2s. If lv3 is when you're supposed to get +1s, and lv7 is when you're supposed to get +2s, well that's a large gap where your weaponry won't improve much. Unless you can get your hand on a +1 dagger, +2 vs orcs (omg, Sting!).

It also allowed you a certain variety in how precise you wanted to make the enchantment: bane weapons have neatly defined "classes", but back in 1E, you could make that +1 sword a +2 against all dragon class creatures, or against all true dragons, or against all chromatic dragons, or against all red dragons, or against all great wyrm red dragons. You had that possibility.

Finally, there was this item I remember having which is probably one of the greatest times I've had with an item: I'm pretty sure it was homebrewed, and it was called something like a Learning Sword (or a Growing Sword). I could activate it twice per day on killing an enemy: when doing so, it gained a "point" against that race, and whenever it had 5 points against a race, it gained a +1 against it. After it had 5 +1s, it became a complete +1, and then I started over again to get it to +2. It was an incredible feeling of power over my equipment, and started a few sidequests to get my sword various bonuses.

So, now that I've ranted on and on and convinced you all that those items are mucho awesome-o, I need to know your input on how they could be priced and brought back into the game.

So here's the thing: I don't like bane weapons. I mean, I like the concept, but not how they're handled in 3.5, where aside from ammunition, they're rather unpopular because of how much better other choices are. Back in the day (I'm too young to use that kind of language), we had weapons that went like "+1 sword, +2 against trolls", or "+2 warhammer, +3 against scaly humanoids". The advantages were as follow (structured sum up of what is in the spoilered text):
1- They allow for some upgrade to your weaponry between the moment you should get +1s and +2s (or +2 equivalents), as they're not as powerful as a full +1 (or between +2 and +3, or +3 and +4).
2- They allow for variety in the level of precision. You could have an aberrationbane sword in 3.5, but the rules don't "allow" (I mean, rule 0 would, but you know what I mean) a beholderbane sword. Why is that important you ask? Well, it's not important per se, but it's just a nice additional feature.
3- They allow for overlap. Bane weapons focus on a creature's type. Back in 1E/2E, creatures did not have a type, so you were forced to define a creature otherwise: by its abilities, its shape, its color, its intelligence, its environment, and so on. As such, if you were to fight a red dragon, you could use your sword against fire using creatures, against dragons, against large creatures, against flying creatures, against creatures with a breath weapons, against reptilian creatures, against intelligent creatures, and many more.
4- The shift in power level was not as major. In 3.5, an +1 undeadbane greatsword is a +2 equivalent weapon. That means that when you get it, you should have a +2 weapon, but you only have a +1 weapon. However, when you use it against undead, your weapon becomes +3 (basically the same concept, so that makes sense) but also deals an extra 2d6 damage! A Collision weapon (+2 equivalent) deals an extra 5: 2d6 is 7 on average (can we argue a +3, since +2*7/5=2.8, rounded up). That means your sword goes from a +1 against non-undead enemies, to a +6 (or +5.8 if the round up annoys you) equivalent (+1 base +2 vs undead +3 super-collision) against undead. This power swing is HUGE: that's an epic weapon at level 6-7ish.
5- The extent of this shift in power makes its value uncertain. As people have said, a giantbane weapon is overpowered in a game focused on giants, but underpowered in a dragon hunting game. Because the price of an Xbane is the same as that of a +1d6 elemental or a keen, it is a large investment that might not pay off: as a DM, you have to balance how many of these enemies you put into your game to avoid (rightfully) frustrating your players; as a player, you have to think about the kind of enemies your adventures hold to know if it's worth it. With the old school way, it's not a choice between a dragonbane and a flaming sword: it's a choice between a +2 sword, and a +2 sword, +3 against dragons. Sure, I'll take that, if I face only a single dragon in my entire career, it's a bonus!

Obviously, the price would differ according to how precise the definition of the "target" is. My proposition is to make categories of "precision", based on what bane has to offer, but which would not be centered only on monster class. Let's called these "tiers":

1- Categories are broader than bane's (any humanoids, flying creatures, large or larger creatures, water breathing creatures)
2- Categories are from bane, or of a similar level of precision (goblinoids, aberrations, dragon-class)
3- Categories are more specific than bane's (hobgoblins, beholders, true dragons, "true" giants, fire-using creatures)
4- Categories are very specific (red dragons, ogres, vampires)

I first thought of a Flat price, something like +1000, but then, a +1 sword, +2 vs Orcs is a much larger investment, while any +3 weapon and above would take as many of those bonuses as possible (they'd end up much cheaper than a "real" +4 weapon).

So we need something that would account for the exponential nature of weapon prices in 3.5:

((Target Bonus)^2 - (Base bonus)^2) * X

For example, if you sword is +1, +2 vs Orcs, then Target bonus is 2, and base bonus is 1; if you're looking for +3, +4 vs Orcs, then target bonus is 4, base bonus is 3.

X would be a variable based on the level of precision. If X is 2000, then that's an entire +1 bonus, not what I'm looking for. So what about X = 600 for a "tier 1" target, X = 350 for a tier 2, X = 250 for a tier 3, and X= 150 for a tier 4.

Concrete examples (considering the 300 for masterwork, but not price of base weapon (5-50gp))
- +1 sword, +2 vs orcs: 3350gp (tier 2 target, so (2^2 - 1^2) * 350 = 1050, 1050+2300 for +1)
- +1 sword, +2 vs all humanoids: 4100gp (tier 1 target, so (2^2 - 1^2) *600 = 1800, 1800+2300 for +1)
- +3 sword, +5 vs true dragons: 22300gp (tier 3 target, so (5^2 - 3^2) * 250 = 4000, 4000+18300 for +3)

What do you think?

RagnaroksChosen
2013-02-12, 01:28 PM
Yes you can do that.. Its been upgraded to a weapon ability called Bane.

So a +1 bane(dragon) longsword

would be +2 1d8+2+2d6 vs dragons.

jaybird
2013-02-12, 01:32 PM
Yes, we have bane weapons, but (1) aside from ammunition, it's overpriced (not compared to its power, but to how often its useless), and (2) it's a bit restrictive in how its handled.

/headdesk

+3 to hit and damage against a specific type of enemy (same categories as Favoured Enemy, perhaps?) sounds like it falls somewhere between +1 and +2 enchantment categories...maybe step it up to +4 against certain types and price it as a +2?

Edge of Dreams
2013-02-12, 01:45 PM
With situational magic items like that, I'm fond of the idea that they don't have a set price. A sword that is +1 (+4 vs Giants) may not be terribly useful to Sir George, who usually fights Dragons, but Jack the Giant Slayer would give you plenty of golden eggs to get his hands on it.

Answerer
2013-02-12, 01:55 PM
They're really bad design in general because their value changes dramatically based on the demographics of your foes.

RagnaroksChosen
2013-02-12, 02:00 PM
/headdesk

+3 to hit and damage against a specific type of enemy (same categories as Favoured Enemy, perhaps?) sounds like it falls somewhere between +1 and +2 enchantment categories...maybe step it up to +4 against certain types and price it as a +2?

In your average game yes.. but if you are running "Against the giants" maybe not? It depends on the game. Average game no. But to be honest the average game with the 2nd ed ones where just as useless.

At least now there's more clarity about what it effects so there where no arguments between GM and Player about what it effects.

If you wanted to remake something like the 2nd ed one. I would probably rule that for each +1/+1 it would cost an additional 2000 GP. (kinda like how some Armour enchants work where they are just a flat fee). Of course it would need an enhancement bonus already. Or I would say that you pay for the Bane enchant and instead of rolling 2d6 damage you just add a flat 5 damage.

Edit:
Side note that the +3 vs a specific type of foe is not worth +1 that's why bane is +1 you have to make it at least comparable. Also remember collision enchantment which gives a flat +5 bonus is a +2 enchant.

Starbuck_II
2013-02-12, 02:02 PM
Examples in DMG:
Well, Sword of the Planes is +1, +2 on elemental plane (or against elementals), +3 on the Astral Plane or the Ethereal Plane or when used against opponents native to either of those planes. On any other plane, or against any outsider, it functions as a +4.

It is priced between +3 and +4 weapons (lower end of +4, higher than +3).

Scalescraper: +2 warhammer, +4 against scaly humanoids
Using above guideline I'd say 17K (close to +3, Higher than a +2)

AttilaTheGeek
2013-02-12, 02:06 PM
They're really bad design in general because their value changes dramatically based on the demographics of your foes.

Basically this. It's why I never give my players Bane weapons- they're either under- or over-powered in comparison to how powerful a PC is exected to be.

/headdesk

If you pay the price of a +2 for +4 bonus against certain foes, that's just double bane without the 4d6 damage. Maybe a +2 price for a +5 relative enhancement bonus, with the clause that it can allow a weapon's enhancement bonus to be greater than +5?

CheshireCatAW
2013-02-12, 02:24 PM
What about giving them a flat price? Like Impervious or Glamered. I think that might fix a lot of the issues.

I don't care to guess what that value might be, as I don't think I'm smart enough of that end of things to comment, but I think this might tidy up your issue.

jaybird
2013-02-12, 02:28 PM
If you pay the price of a +2 for +4 bonus against certain foes, that's just double bane without the 4d6 damage. Maybe a +2 price for a +5 relative enhancement bonus, with the clause that it can allow a weapon's enhancement bonus to be greater than +5?

Good point...for some reason I thought Bane was +2.

ericgrau
2013-02-12, 02:47 PM
Ya bane is the way that already exists to do this. At +2 and +2d6 bane is worth about the same as +4 against a particular foe. So pricing a "+1 sword, +5 vs giants" with the same price as a +2 (1+1) would be fair.

Generally bane weapons are a bad idea, but if a foe becomes really common they become a good idea. Because the bane weapon is often a backup, it is not crazy broken because it is often lacking in other special abilities. If you're fighting a campaign against nothing but X then they become very powerful but even then the DM simply increases challenges to compensate. Either way it's not crazy enough to totally destroy the game. Huge, maybe, but not campaign wrecking.

yougi
2013-02-12, 03:18 PM

So a +1 bane(dragon) longsword

would be +2 1d8+2+2d6 vs dragons.

As I said in my main post, I'm quite aware of bane, I'm trying to find a more versatile way of doing it.

With situational magic items like that, I'm fond of the idea that they don't have a set price. A sword that is +1 (+4 vs Giants) may not be terribly useful to Sir George, who usually fights Dragons, but Jack the Giant Slayer would give you plenty of golden eggs to get his hands on it.

Agreed, my example was probably a bit over the board: But what about a +2 sword, +3 against giants? I mean, if you tell me it will cost me 18k, not a chance, but if you tell me it's only 1k more than a regular +2 sword, then you know what, I might shell out that cash just in case I run into giants.

Basically this. It's why I never give my players Bane weapons- they're either under- or over-powered in comparison to how powerful a PC is exected to be.

I totally agree with you about Bane: I once gave my rogue a +1 magebane short sword, which basically made it so he'd suck against anything except a wizard/sorcerer, and then would deal TRIPLE damage (1d6+2d6 = triple) against it.

However, like I said earlier, if the difference is not too major, then the "god mode effect" is not that extreme.

Examples in DMG:
Well, Sword of the Planes is +1, +2 on elemental plane (or against elementals), +3 on the Astral Plane or the Ethereal Plane or when used against opponents native to either of those planes. On any other plane, or against any outsider, it functions as a +4.

It is priced between +3 and +4 weapons (lower end of +4, higher than +3).

Scalescraper: +2 warhammer, +4 against scaly humanoids
Using above guideline I'd say 17K (close to +3, Higher than a +2)

As mentioned before, that makes it 1K less expensive than a +2 reptilian bane warhammer, which would do the same, plus +2d6 damage against reptilian humanoids, minus the humanoids that are scaly but not reptilian.

To All:

I've edited my OP because it was written on the spur of the moment and does not really structure the issue enough, and added a proposition. If you see this thread after I've done so, every comment before this one was aimed at the spoilered text in my first post.

ericgrau
2013-02-12, 03:34 PM
Well +4 more vs. giants (so +5) would be fair for the cost of a +1 like I said. If you want to break it down into smaller increments then each +1 should be worth 0.25. So:
+1,+2 vs. giants: 1.25*1.25*2000 = 3125 gp
+1,+3 vs. giants: 1.5*1.5*2000 = 4500 gp
+1,+4 vs. giants: 1.75*1.75*2000 = 6125 gp
+1,+5 vs. giants: 2*2*2000 = 8000 gp

Or technically the 2d6 from bane is worth a little more than +2 because it's untyped damage. Then you might give +5 for the cost of +1. But I prefer to err on the low side. Or instead of enhancement bonuses, you might substitute in other enchantments worth the same amount for more flavor. Just watch out for exploits like an undead-only ghost touch weapon to try to cheat in a lower price for nothing.

if you want to pick creature categories that aren't on the bane list (more general, more specific, or partly overlaps with various), then ask yourself how common they might be compare to the bane categories. Use that to make a rough estimate. Of course it should always cost less than paying a +1 to everything for a +1 bane. Likewise no matter how narrow the foe you shouldn't get too crazy with the bane benefit or price discount. Or people will start asking "Sir scries-a-lot, who are we fighting this time? Ok I'll go grab a one-tooth-troll bane sword for a cheap +8." "Oh no, he has a human-orphan-scarcheeked bane weapon, I'm doomed." Generally pick groupings that are roughly as common/uncommon as the existing categories, then you won't have to guess as much.

Starbuck_II
2013-02-12, 03:36 PM
As mentioned before, that makes it 1K less expensive than a +2 reptilian bane warhammer, which would do the same, plus +2d6 damage against reptilian humanoids, minus the humanoids that are scaly but not reptilian.

You are right, it would be better priced at 14K.
Sure Bane is better but than Scalescrapper is cheaper so it should be weaker than Bane.

The real bargain is Lesser Scalescrapper +1 warhammer, +3 against scaly humanoids
Using above guideline I'd say 5K.

nedz
2013-02-12, 03:52 PM
These things were generally created by EGG for a module.

So: if you'd successfully defeated some Giants, then you would get a Sword +1 , +4 vs giants in the treasure — and so on. They were trophies really.

In the older editions the numbers were smaller, so +4 was much more useful.

TuggyNE
2013-02-12, 09:43 PM
4- The shift in power level was not as major. In 3.5, an +1 undeadbane greatsword is a +2 equivalent weapon. That means that when you get it, you should have a +2 weapon, but you only have a +1 weapon. However, when you use it against undead, your weapon becomes +3 (basically the same concept, so that makes sense) but also deals an extra 2d6 damage! A Collision weapon (+2 equivalent) deals an extra 5: 2d6 is 7 on average (can we argue a +3, since +2*7/5=2.8, rounded up). That means your sword goes from a +1 against non-undead enemies, to a +6 (or +5.8 if the round up annoys you) equivalent (+1 base +2 vs undead +3 super-collision) against undead. This power swing is HUGE: that's an epic weapon at level 6-7ish.

+6-equivalent weapons are not epic in any way; you can get up to a +10 weapon (+1 to +5 enhancement, +5 to +9 special abilities) before epic.

Also, a better model for the extra 2d6 might be combining corrosive with shock, for effectively +2 (it's actually a bit more, since there are creatures immune or resistant to acid and/or electricity). So the actual power swing is from +1 to somewhere between +5 and +6 equivalent.

On the other hand, one thing you haven't mentioned is the actual fact that a +4 or +5 weapon with Bane on it can break DR /epic before epic levels against its targets. Highly situational, but useful.

5- The extent of this shift in power makes its value uncertain. As people have said, a giantbane weapon is overpowered in a game focused on giants, but underpowered in a dragon hunting game. Because the price of an Xbane is the same as that of a +1d6 elemental or a keen, it is a large investment that might not pay off: as a DM, you have to balance how many of these enemies you put into your game to avoid (rightfully) frustrating your players; as a player, you have to think about the kind of enemies your adventures hold to know if it's worth it. With the old school way, it's not a choice between a dragonbane and a flaming sword: it's a choice between a +2 sword, and a +2 sword, +3 against dragons. Sure, I'll take that, if I face only a single dragon in my entire career, it's a bonus!

I don't see any functional difference between "+1 equivalent ability that is more effective against certain foes (+2 and +2d6)" and "+1 equivalent ability that is more effective against certain foes (+3)". The only question is exactly how it's priced, and exactly how much of a bonus it gives.

Obviously, the price would differ according to how precise the definition of the "target" is. My proposition is to make categories of "precision", based on what bane has to offer, but which would not be centered only on monster class. Let's called these "tiers":

1- Categories are broader than bane's (any humanoids, flying creatures, large or larger creatures, water breathing creatures)
2- Categories are from bane, or of a similar level of precision (goblinoids, aberrations, dragon-class)
3- Categories are more specific than bane's (hobgoblins, beholders, true dragons, "true" giants, fire-using creatures)
4- Categories are very specific (red dragons, ogres, vampires)

I first thought of a Flat price, something like +1000, but then, a +1 sword, +2 vs Orcs is a much larger investment, while any +3 weapon and above would take as many of those bonuses as possible (they'd end up much cheaper than a "real" +4 weapon).

So we need something that would account for the exponential nature of weapon prices in 3.5:

((Target Bonus)^2 - (Base bonus)^2) * X

For example, if you sword is +1, +2 vs Orcs, then Target bonus is 2, and base bonus is 1; if you're looking for +3, +4 vs Orcs, then target bonus is 4, base bonus is 3.

X would be a variable based on the level of precision. If X is 2000, then that's an entire +1 bonus, not what I'm looking for. So what about X = 600 for a "tier 1" target, X = 350 for a tier 2, X = 250 for a tier 3, and X= 150 for a tier 4.

Concrete examples (considering the 300 for masterwork, but not price of base weapon (5-50gp))
- +1 sword, +2 vs orcs: 3350gp (tier 2 target, so (2^2 - 1^2) * 350 = 1050, 1050+2300 for +1)
- +1 sword, +2 vs all humanoids: 4100gp (tier 1 target, so (2^2 - 1^2) *600 = 1800, 1800+2300 for +1)
- +3 sword, +5 vs true dragons: 22300gp (tier 3 target, so (5^2 - 3^2) * 250 = 4000, 4000+18300 for +3)

What do you think?

This seems like a remarkably complicated new subsystem for a fairly minor weapon special. Are you sure you want to involve all these unintuitive and one-time pricing formulas?

Starbuck_II
2013-02-12, 10:16 PM

Well, yes, as a you don't add you replace. A +1 sword, +5 vs evil is not +6, just +5 when fighting evil.

Normal +5 is 50K
Using your Method, the cost is ((+5)^2 - (+1)^2) * 600=( 25 -1)*600 =14, 400 +2300 gp = 16, 700 gp.
Which is still pretty cheap. Sure, it is only 2K less than a +3 but it is remarkably good versus evil.

Actually, I think your method has some value.

So back to Scalescraper: +2 warhammer, +4 against scaly humanoids
Is that equal to Bane's reptilian (humanoid) or broader? This matters for Tiers.

a. (assuming equal to Bane) ((+4)^2 - (+2)^2) * 350 = 4, 200+ 8K =12, 200 gp
b. (broader) ((+4)^2 - (+2)^2) * 600 = 7, 200+ 8K =15, 200 gp

Lesser Scalescraper: +1 warhammer, +3 against scaly humanoids
a. (assuming equal to Bane) ((+3)^2 - (+1)^2) * 350 = 28000 + 2K =4, 800 gp
b. (broader) ((+3)^2 - (+1)^2) * 600 = 4800 + 2K =6, 800 gp

And the famous Ogre Slaying Knife +1, +9 versus Ogres (referenced by Desad Ale Wives)
((+9)^2 - (+1)^2) * 150 = 12, 000 + 2K = 14, 000 gp (more than a 2, but less than a +3)

yougi
2013-02-13, 05:10 PM
+6-equivalent weapons are not epic in any way; you can get up to a +10 weapon (+1 to +5 enhancement, +5 to +9 special abilities) before epic.

My mistake, you're right.

Also, a better model for the extra 2d6 might be combining corrosive with shock, for effectively +2 (it's actually a bit more, since there are creatures immune or resistant to acid and/or electricity). So the actual power swing is from +1 to somewhere between +5 and +6 equivalent.

Disagree. The fact that its added weapon damage, and not energy damage, is more relevant than the fact that you're rolling dice for it.

On the other hand, one thing you haven't mentioned is the actual fact that a +4 or +5 weapon with Bane on it can break DR /epic before epic levels against its targets. Highly situational, but useful.

Useful indeed, and arguably part of my "OMG bane is so broken lolz" argument.

I don't see any functional difference between "+1 equivalent ability that is more effective against certain foes (+2 and +2d6)" and "+1 equivalent ability that is more effective against certain foes (+3)". The only question is exactly how it's priced, and exactly how much of a bonus it gives.

Agreed. The functional difference is that bane gives you a "god mode" when fighting enemy X: you go from a +1 weapon to a +6 weapon (ish). The rest of the time, you're stuck with a +1 weapon instead of a +2: when you DM, you have to make sure you make it worth their while, because if not, you'll end up with one frustrated player. With a +1 sword, +2 against X, the power gap is not as large (although the sword in my title kind of is), nor is the price tag: it's not a choice between a +2 sword or a +1 orcbane, it's the choice between a +1 sword, +2 against orcs, and a +1 sword and 800 gold pieces of pocket change.

The difference is twofold: first, the expectation of using the bonus is not as large (because the sacrifice was not as large), and the player will be satisfied by fighting the target even once, while with a bane, every fight they fight something else, the player will wonder why he didn't take corrosive on his weapon instead; second, as a DM, you don't have to adapt your encounters. If you have a 7th level party, all with giant bane weapons, suddenly that hill giant with two ogres that were supposed to be a challenging encounter is a piece of cake, and it's just a bump in the road to make them feel good about the equipment they got. If they have +2 swords, +3 against giants, well yes it's easier for them, but not "steamroller mode" easy.

This seems like a remarkably complicated new subsystem for a fairly minor weapon special. Are you sure you want to involve all these unintuitive and one-time pricing formulas?

Is it that complicated? I mean, it's basically like saying "it's half a +1" or "its a third of a +1". Although I get the point that it's a complicated rule for pricing a single type of items.

Well, yes, as a you don't add you replace. A +1 sword, +5 vs evil is not +6, just +5 when fighting evil.

I think that was a response to my "a +3 with many bonuses is much cheaper than a real +4", in which case I must explain what I meant: a +4 sword costs 32k, a +5 sword costs 50k, and (if every +1 vs X is worth 1k), a +4 sword, +5 vs undead, humanoids, dragons, giants, aberrations, outsiders and magical beasts would be 39k, far from a +5 sword in price, while in power, it's closer to +5 than +4, because it's +5 against the majority of opponents you'll face.

Normal +5 is 50K
Using your Method, the cost is ((+5)^2 - (+1)^2) * 600=( 25 -1)*600 =14, 400 +2300 gp = 16, 700 gp.
Which is still pretty cheap. Sure, it is only 2K less than a +3 but it is remarkably good versus evil.

Thank you! However, I'm pretty sure "vs evil" would be too broad: once again, there's only a handful of things that your PCs will fight which won't be evil (well, in most campaigns it is [well, in most "normal" campaigns at least]). Also, like I said before, a +4 difference is pretty huge, and I'm not sure it would actually be fun to play. I'd probably cap it at +2.

So back to Scalescraper: +2 warhammer, +4 against scaly humanoids
Is that equal to Bane's reptilian (humanoid) or broader? This matters for Tiers.

I can't think of any humanoids that are scaly but not humanoid, but then again, I don't know them all. I'd guess they're pretty much the same.

a. (assuming equal to Bane) ((+4)^2 - (+2)^2) * 350 = 4, 200+ 8K =12, 200 gp
b. (broader) ((+4)^2 - (+2)^2) * 600 = 7, 200+ 8K =15, 200 gp

Lesser Scalescraper: +1 warhammer, +3 against scaly humanoids
a. (assuming equal to Bane) ((+3)^2 - (+1)^2) * 350 = 28000 + 2K =4, 800 gp
b. (broader) ((+3)^2 - (+1)^2) * 600 = 4800 + 2K =6, 800 gp

Would you be willing to pay those prices? I probably would for lesser, but maybe not for the "real" scalescraper.

And the famous Ogre Slaying Knife +1, +9 versus Ogres (referenced by Desad Ale Wives)
((+9)^2 - (+1)^2) * 150 = 12, 000 + 2K = 14, 000 gp (more than a 2, but less than a +3)

... Yeah... well...

Actually, I think your method has some value.

Thank you! :)