PDA

View Full Version : Assumed magic item bonuses by level

Grod_The_Giant
2013-02-12, 02:47 PM
Has anyone done any work towards figuring out what kinds of magic bonuses the system assumes you have at a given level? I'm mostly talking about all the +X items-- weapons, armor, stat-boosting items, cloaks of resistance, and the like-- with an eye towards eventually removing them. This is in reference to monsters, primarily, as I suspect that PVP the magic boosts tend to balance themselves out.

Ashtagon
2013-02-12, 04:58 PM
You could do worse than look at the WBL chart and check the lowest level you could get each rank of plus. That'd be your primary weapon. Then figure from teh remaining WBL what the nest best plus item you could have. That's your armour.

Absol197
2013-02-12, 05:21 PM
For weapons and armor, the caster level required is 3 times the bonus granted, so I usually assume that that's the level you should start to acquire such things (so +1 at 3rd, +2 at 6th, and so on to +5 at 15th).

Then I use the section on NPCs to see what level the pre-built NPCs gain their stat-boosting items, and assume that is when you're supposed to have those.

As for things like a cloak of resistance and such, those things are interchangeable, so not everybosy is supposed to have all of those. So I don't know how one would calculate that.

But hopefully that helps as a start.

~Phoenix~

Barsoom
2013-02-12, 06:24 PM
PHB2 recommends to spend about 1/4 of your wealth on your primary weapon, and another 1/4 on Armor Class.