PDA

View Full Version : Archer help

Ageir
2013-02-12, 03:37 PM
I've been thinking about making an archer lately, anyone got any tips. 3.5 gestalt anything but third party is allowed.

andromax
2013-02-12, 03:40 PM
The Ultimate Archer Handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19866186/The_Ultimate_Archer_Handbook) on WotC.

And Archer's Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=642.0) at Brilliantgameologists.

thethird
2013-02-12, 03:40 PM
If you want a good archer with some simplicity in 3.5 gestalting I would go shooting star mystic ranger (of the arcane order) // psychic warrior.

Both spells and psionics can buff your arrow damage, and give you mobility and resources to deal with other encounters.

questionmark693
2013-02-12, 03:41 PM
I'd personally look at the prestige classes Deepwood Sniper (it's in Master's of the Wild, technically 3e) or Order of the Bow Initiate (I want to say Complete Warrior). They both have lots of bonuses for Archery that are super nice :)

JaronK
2013-02-12, 03:45 PM
Order of the Bow Initiate is terrible. You have to lose all your attacks to use the abilities!

Basic classes I'd recommend are Targeteer Variant Fighter (loses some proficiencies for two free EWPs in ranged weapons, gets some nifty special abilities instead of feats that have to do with ranged attacks), Ranger (a classic, feats are good), and on the other side of the equation Cleric. Consider Cleric/PrC Ranger... that puts Ranger spells on your Cleric list, and some of them are very very good. I'm a fan of using Chain of Eyes to spot your targets from long range (just put it on the scout character) and then using Persistent Ranger archery buffs to devastate enemies. Warblade can be surprisingly good too, with things like Blood in the Water.

Something as simple as Targeteer Fighter 20//Cloistered Cleric 4/PrC Ranger 2/Cleric PrCs 14 could be very strong indeed.

JaronK

Daftendirekt
2013-02-12, 04:21 PM
Scout 5/Ranger 15 with Swift Hunter and Improved Skirmish.