PDA

View Full Version : looking for celtic highlander in pathfinder world

spiderfate
2013-02-12, 04:18 PM
i am about to make my first pathfinder character and wanted to make a Celtic highlander. are their Celtic lands in the pathfinder game world?

Yora
2013-02-12, 04:19 PM
Depends. Are you playing in a campaign that takes place in Golarion?

Iobaria might fit. It's sparsely populated and the locals mostly live in villages in the forests. It's also remote and cold, like Scottland.

spiderfate
2013-02-12, 04:46 PM
honestly i didnt even realize there is more then 1 pathfinder gaming world.

Yora
2013-02-12, 04:57 PM
The company that produces the game only makes books for a single world, as far as I know.
But game masters can have the game take place in any world they want.

spiderfate
2013-02-12, 05:39 PM
Depends. Are you playing in a campaign that takes place in Golarion?

Iobaria might fit. It's sparsely populated and the locals mostly live in villages in the forests. It's also remote and cold, like Scottland.

thanks, nothing nothing celtic based i take it. thanks anyeway

Yora
2013-02-12, 07:37 PM
That was just the only thing that came to my mind, I'm not very learned about Golarion. There are several Scandinavian/Russian countries, but I am not aware of anything specifically celtic. But I guess celts would just be too early. Most of the setting seems much more oriented at 17th to 18th century.

Eugenides
2013-02-12, 10:51 PM
Mate, the way that these games work is that there really isn't a predefined world. Your dungeon master usually makes one from scratch, and even if he doesn't, if you want a type of character, he can almost always work with you to get the type of character you want.

Honestly, I would recommend a barbarian, and just communicate the desire for a highlander to your DM.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-02-13, 01:54 PM
Try a Barbarian (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian) with the Superstitious (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/archetypes/paizo---barbarian-archetypes/superstitious) or Savage Barbarian (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/archetypes/paizo---barbarian-archetypes/savage-barbarian) archetype.

honestly i didnt even realize there is more then 1 pathfinder gaming world.
There is and there isn't. There is the single planet of golarion (basically earth), but on that planet there are vastly different ecosystems and countries and philosophies. So there is only one world, but there are many different settings, and even then a DM might just ignore that entirely and create his own setting, just using the Pathfinder mechanics to run the game.

Ravenica
2013-02-13, 03:23 PM
Iobaria is definitely close.

Personally I'd play it off as a rostlander due to the relation in Brevoy between Irrisen and the rostlands. But with Iobaria right off that border it only makes it look even more appropriate.

Regionally Hermea would be ideal and hasn't been covered by alot of PF material so you pretty much have free reign as long as the DM is willing.

(The PF world map is basically a map of europe taken from old 12th century maps that were horribly skewed and many of the nations follow their historical counterparts to a degree)

spiderfate
2013-02-13, 06:15 PM
Mate, the way that these games work is that there really isn't a predefined world. Your dungeon master usually makes one from scratch, and even if he doesn't, if you want a type of character, he can almost always work with you to get the type of character you want.

Honestly, I would recommend a barbarian, and just communicate the desire for a highlander to your DM.

i started playing dungeons and dragons basic set in the mid 80s. i have personally run hundreds of campaigns and have created dozens of gaming worlds including my own crystal sphere to house them. I AM WELL AWARE OF HOW DND WORKS!!! MATE! i asked a specific question , if you dont know then dont post and stop wasting my time.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachments/sci-fi-modern-mapping/50447d1355103266-infinite-expanse-meat-grinder-region-infinite-expanse-after-small-bg.jpg

spiderfate
2013-02-13, 06:19 PM
Iobaria is definitely close.

Personally I'd play it off as a rostlander due to the relation in Brevoy between Irrisen and the rostlands. But with Iobaria right off that border it only makes it look even more appropriate.

Regionally Hermea would be ideal and hasn't been covered by alot of PF material so you pretty much have free reign as long as the DM is willing.

(The PF world map is basically a map of europe taken from old 12th century maps that were horribly skewed and many of the nations follow their historical counterparts to a degree)

thank you so much for answering my question. i appreciate it. ill check it out.

Yora
2013-02-13, 06:48 PM
i started playing dungeons and dragons basic set in the mid 80s. i have personally run hundreds of campaigns and have created dozens of gaming worlds including my own crystal sphere to house them. I AM WELL AWARE OF HOW DND WORKS!!! MATE! i asked a specific question , if you dont know then dont post and stop wasting my time.
Than you should have known not to ask about "the pathfinder world" and spared all of us wasting our time trying to find out how much you know.

spiderfate
2013-02-13, 07:31 PM
Than you should have known not to ask about "the pathfinder world" and spared all of us wasting our time trying to find out how much you know.

i dont know about the pathfinder world, so i asked.

Eugenides
2013-02-13, 09:42 PM
i dont know about the pathfinder world, so i asked.

You're being incredibly vague. When you are vague, it is easy to assume you have no idea what you're taking about.

But when we then go with you being vague, you snap at us about wasting your time for not being specific. It is you who is wasting our time, sir.

Kinsmarck
2013-02-14, 03:20 AM

http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachments/sci-fi-modern-mapping/50447d1355103266-infinite-expanse-meat-grinder-region-infinite-expanse-after-small-bg.jpg

Whoa... :smalleek: I pity your players after a snap like that. Calm it down if you'd like any help, mate. I don't really feel like you deserve an answer now, but since I'm feeling generous, then, for your consideration, I'd suggest the River Kingdoms. They're varied, feudal, rugged, and seem to have a fair amount of Celtic and Anglo-Saxon influence in their design and atmosphere. They've even got a series of charmingly simple universal laws that every man must follow there, no matter which of the small realms he's in at the time.

Now shoo.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-02-14, 04:34 AM

http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachments/sci-fi-modern-mapping/50447d1355103266-infinite-expanse-meat-grinder-region-infinite-expanse-after-small-bg.jpgOh, apologies for the condescending language earlier then. I shouldn't have assumed you were a new player.

There are a couple wikis out there that actually have specific information on individual countries, deities, and the overall history of the world. Not too much detail, but certainly enough for you to get a feel for the deities, the countries, and the somewhat gloomy tone of the world. I can't give you much of an answer about how to make a celtic highlander, though.

What do you want to do in terms of crunch with the class? I can't help you too much in terms of fluff (it's your character of course), but I hope I might be able to point you in the right direction for where to get some ideas as how to meet your goals.