PDA

View Full Version : A tale of one city

Provengreil
2013-02-12, 08:04 PM
OK, character generation time! If you're rolling here, use the forum dice roller. roll in 3 sets of stats, each as a 4d6b3 roll type, and choose you're favorite array. if you like none of them, a 32 point buy is allowed.

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-02-12, 08:30 PM
4d6b3

4d6b3

lothbrok
2013-02-12, 08:32 PM
set 1
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

set 2
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]

set3
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]
[roll16]
[roll17]

Provengreil
2013-02-12, 08:43 PM
Ignore This Post

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-02-12, 08:43 PM
Set 1
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Set 2
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]

Set3
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]
[roll16]
[roll17]

Provengreil
2013-02-16, 01:06 PM
All right, here's our little kick-off, just to acquaint you with your starting situation.

You guys live in the city of Alhafra, not truly a bustling metropolis but sporting enough people. It lies quite close to a rivermouth and thus sees a lot of port trade. The climate is fairly warm, and in the summers almost unbearably hot and humid, but the lush surroundings have served your city well. Its leaders, however...not so much.

A queen, named Cassandra, rules the city, her civilian guards an iron fist and the edge of her lands well fortified and forbidding. the people at large are often left without recourse to fight against their employer's absurd labor demands, but are forced to work for them by economic necessity. It's not uncommon for a man's entire family to live quartered on company grounds, and being laden further with debt that everyone knows will never be paid off because the company doesn't pay him enough to cover their own food and housing. Some do rise above, but often by forcing their entire family, children included, to work their fingers to the bone until they forget how to be anything but a worker. As a result, these cases rarely end happily. The entire city effectively profits off of slave labor.

Standing beside her is a man, rumored to take pleasure in the occasional hunt of the queen's personal enemies. He is a sorceror, not particularly beholden to armies and battle but more the chaos and destruction found therein. You know little else about him, as common folk rarely have business in or near the aristocratic quarters.

You live with a mercenary company that has a monopoly on nonmilitary violence sanctioned by the crown. You commonly do jobs seen as under royal notice, and collect pay for it. On some occasions you're hired on by the guards or military for special action where they need a few extra sword-arms. The base itself used to be an embassy, but their kingdom fell decades ago to an orcish insurrection and will not be returning. You have an on-base weapon shop and permits to carry (ordinary citizens are denied them), a company magical gear locker (to which you currently have no access), and each of you has a room to yourselves, complete with adequate private storage for anything you have.

The leader of the company is Commander Tann. He used to be a great warrior, but has fallen completely out of shape physically, and instead spends all his time wrestling with the aristocracy to keep the doors of this place open at all. Most of the day to day commanding is done by LT commander Sieghart, or just Sieg to most. He organizes and dispatches the thirty or so people under his command.

Your group is the most recently organized. You were hired in different ways, but you've only done three missions together, one of which was almost literally a milk run and the others not too much more exciting. Each of you has been pronounced ready for the field properly by now, however, and you look forward to your first real mission.

Provengreil
2013-02-18, 12:25 PM
Your day begins as always one morning with a report to Sieg's office. The large, well lit room is a bit cluttered around the edges with stacks of papers, half filled form, job consideration, and a burn pile, but it's all neatly stacked in a paramilitary fashion. Sieg himself sits behind his desk, his scythe leaning on the wall, and he looks up at you.

"All right. Your first real mission is today. The three of you make a good enough team in training, so we're keeping you together for actual missions. You are now dispatch team Griffon.

Your first assignment is here." He says, motioning to a paper. "The Alhafran Amenties company, which you may remember as controlling and enforcing building codes, construction, and the like, is having an issue in one of their apartments. Apparently someone died in there, but hasn't stopped moving. Rather than end in their own guards, they're hiring us. Get over there, stop the corpse and any others that may have arisen, and see if you can figure out why he's up in the first place. Your point of contact is a housing manager, he ought to be on site. No one else is supposed to be around, they're all in some workshop or another. Any questions?"

DuSlaanesh
2013-02-18, 01:18 PM
Running a hand through her hair, Beatrice responds: "You've already answered the few that I had. I and my sword are ready."

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-02-18, 02:11 PM
Kenjas nodded and grasped the pendant of Pelor from around his neck. "Consider it done," he replied as he placed a small kiss upon the pendant.

lothbrok
2013-02-18, 07:04 PM
Ranulf sighs and shakes his head "of course its a damn corpse. the bastard will get all over my new boots"

DuSlaanesh
2013-02-18, 08:12 PM
"I'm looking forward to working with the both of you. Let's do this job thoroughly, and be prepared for the unexpected. I'm not dying from some undead fools on my first real mission."

Provengreil
2013-02-18, 08:21 PM
INFORMATIONAL SPOILER, PLEASE READ:

Since this kingdom is basically run by companies, I'll intorduce you to the names and profiles of the big six(which, frankly, are all of them. Everything in the city or its protected lands except the public buildings are owned by one of these, and even the public areas are heavily affiliated with one of them.)

Akvavit: The smallest by far, as it's only important because it's yours. You only survive without being taken over because sometimes a company wants something done without their name on it, or would rather not even bother with a mission. Maximum employment at any one time is 36, as they don't have enough beds for more and cannot afford to put its members at the mercy of another company.

-BFF (Bernard/Felix Foundation): shipping monopoly. All exports and transportation are run through this company.

-Rayleonard: Food monopoly. All dining from seeds to stomachs is controlled by them, giving them considerable clout.

-GAA (General Arms, Alhafra): arms dealer. Most of its products are exports, but they've also got a very strong company guard, as their workers are much more able than most to attempt an armed takeover of the workplace. They currently chain most workers to their areas for the duration of their shift, aside from those few who can be trusted.

-AA (Alhafran Amenities): an extension of the royal power. controls building codes, buildings, etc. Controlled indirectly by the monarchy, this is the company I mentioned in relation to public spaces. has control over all housing not on-site for a different company.

-Omer: started as a fishery, now controls everything not specifically owned by the others, meaning most crafts shops, the inns, local transportation, stables, etc. Anything owned by them follows a label scheme like Omer fishing, Omer carpentry, and so on. Responsible for most of the city's issues as the largest employer.

Sieghart hands Beatrice a scroll, dismisses you with a word and returns to his work without another glance. You file out of the building, briefly check your gear, and are on your way.

Ranulf takes the lead as your group wanders through the streets, hheading for the address. Beatrice reads out several details as you walk: the zombified man, unidentified on paper, was found this morning, his place trashed and full of an eerie fog that sapped the strength of those who entered. No others were seen, but the manager ran fast once he saw the zombie so there might still be more: the man had a wife and a 16 year old son, and his floor is as populous as any other. 300 gold payment after the Akvavit slice. If any attempts to get more information were sent, they weren't recorded here.

Upon arrival, you find an older man missing one hand with a bent, ruined looking back waiting for you nervously. Seeing you, he hobbles over and opens his half-toothed mouth. Your group interrogates him for some basic information. "'ere you be! Oh, it's terble in there. Mike's gone 'n died, and back up moaning. There were this greenish fog, felt all tired in it. An' his wife 'n kid, aint seen em since this morn when I found 'im. Most er the others aint in there, might've left fer work even before 'e got up! I close the door on 'im, and I heard a bit o banging on some stuff, but 'e don't seem smart enerf to open it. But 'es gotta get out, I can't 'ave im here when the others get back tonight, er AA'll have me head!

'E's down in the basement. Door's unlocked."

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-02-18, 08:48 PM
"Thank you kind sir. Now rest and let us deal with the undead," Kenjas replied. He muttered a quick prayer and motioned the mark of Pelor over the man ((like when a Catholic priest makes the sign of the cross on someone)). Afterwards he turned and looked towards the basement. "I'd like to put forth a plan of action," he said to Ranulf and Beatrice. "Since this... mist... has an unnatural side effect, I suggest we use range weapondry. Simply shoot them down, and if they get too close then I shall show them the Holy Light of Pelor while you two finish the job." He paused for a moment and turned to look at them. "Course I'm open to other ideas as well."

DuSlaanesh
2013-02-19, 02:56 AM
"Yes, this mist would be rather nasty to just walk into. Problem is, the room is in a basement and the fog is throughout it. We may need to just open the door, back off, and let him come out to us."

lothbrok
2013-02-19, 05:21 PM
"i can handle a bow well enough but i dont usually bother with something so....dull. besides we might not be able to see far enough into this fog to it be much use. i vote we just let him come to us and then i'll kill the dirty bugger and get on with my day" Ranulf says

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-02-19, 06:11 PM
Kenjas rubbed his chin in thought. "Letting him come to use is probably the best option. Though we don't know if he is the only one in there. But one thing at a time I suppose. Let's open the door and move on from there." He reaches behind him, grabs his shield and equips it. "Beatrice, I can loan you my crossbow if needed. Let's put this monstrosity back where it belongs."

lothbrok
2013-02-19, 06:25 PM
"well then lets get started" i move to the basement door wait for the other to gather (and when they presumably do) look at beatrice and say "stand on the farside of the door we'll flank him as he comes out, i want this over with as quickly as possible"

i then draw my saber and bang the doors open as loudly as possible. then, rattle my saber to make even more noise and call into the opening "oi you bloody great bastard we have some breakfast out here for you!"

after which i step back and draw my axe as well standing on the side of the door opposite beatrice so i can not been seen from the inside.

Provengreil
2013-02-19, 08:05 PM
As you enter the main stairwell, you notice three things stand out in the building: cramped areas, bad lighting, and disrepair. Descending into the half basement, where just mere shadows trickle into the dusty air from the barred, prison-size windows at the top of the floor. You have no real real room to form up, but you manage it, though even a moderately perceptive enemy might well spot both Harald and Beatrice outside the door even in the gloom. Harald ignores a slight sense of foreboding and gives his loud, brash announcement, then opens the door and steps around it.

The aging hallway goes back about 40 feet before hitting what you think is a wall, it's a bit tough to tell in this light. Doors are lined up every 6 feet, staggered along each side so they don't open up right into each other. The ones you can see clearly are closed. despite the old man's claims, there is no apparent fog, nor zombie.

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-02-19, 08:56 PM
Kenjas shook hit head slightly at Ranulf's abrasiveness. "Pelor watch over us," he murmured under his breath. He took a defensive stance and inclined his ear ever so slightly to listen if anything was approaching.

[roll0]

Provengreil
2013-02-19, 09:07 PM
You don't hear anything.

lothbrok
2013-02-19, 09:12 PM
Ranulf(sorry forgot to tell you i changed the characters name) drops his stance and moves to look through the open door
"where is the damned thing? do you think it could have hidden away in one of these other doors?"

also ooc can we still see alright?

Provengreil
2013-02-19, 09:33 PM
yes, you can see fine, I'm just trying to throw a little atmosphere. I'll tell you when there's a mechanical effect from darkness

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-02-19, 09:35 PM
Kenjas shook his head. "Well considering it couldn't open this door, probably not," he paused and eyed the doors. "But there could be survivors or other undead behind them. I suggest we check each one out and work our way down."
"Beatrice and I can see alright, but it may be a bit dark for you." He looked down the hall at the wall. "Its clear as far as I can tell its clear up to that wall. I suggest we knock on each door and see what we can find."

DuSlaanesh
2013-02-20, 11:17 AM
Beatrice draws her longsword.

"Not a bad idea. I'd suggest Ranulf and I stand on either side of a door while you knock, then if there's trouble you can fling it open and stand back with your bow."

lothbrok
2013-02-20, 04:02 PM
Ranulf nods "as good a plan as any"

i guess we all do that then, assuming there are no objections.

Provengreil
2013-02-20, 04:46 PM
You move down the hallway, struggling to properly position yourselves next to each door while giving Kenjas room to not get hit by your attacks. On the third door you bang on, you hear a terrified yelp, followed by soft sobbing. the door does not open.

lothbrok
2013-02-20, 05:52 PM
ranulf yells "its ok, we're here to make sure those corpse bastards go back to being dead. we wont hurt you if you dont hurt us"

DuSlaanesh
2013-02-20, 05:59 PM
Somewhat quietly, "Stop yelling, we're not trying to attract all of the dead at once."

Towards the door: "If you're alive, open the door, and after you give us some information you can leave safely. If you don't, I'm going to assume this is some kind of trap and we're moving on."

lothbrok
2013-02-20, 06:06 PM
"i thought that was exactly what we wanted to do." Ranulf says sardonicly

"oh and this is ridiculous we barely have room to move just spread out. you, priest stay behind me and beatrice take point."

DuSlaanesh
2013-02-20, 06:18 PM
"Our orders were to clear them out. I don't want them all to mob us at once. If someone's alive down here they might know what's going on, where they are and how many. Then again, we do need to get this done..."

To the door:

"You have until the count of five, otherwise we're moving on as my partner suggests."

I count down slowly.

Provengreil
2013-02-20, 06:25 PM
The door creaks open. The first thing that gets to you is the size of the room. there are 4 sets of bunk beds, crammed head to toe and only 5 feet long, with maybe two feet of "hallway" between them. There is no other room. another jail-like window adorns the center of the the wall near the ceiling.

Standing before you is a boy, maybe 16, but it's hard to tell as you can't see his face. He refuses to look up at you, instead pointing his gaze steadfastly at his feet. His hands are covered in splinters and burns.

"He...dad...he did...something. I don't know. I can't remember. When I woke up, my hands were like this, and... he and mom....no, you gotta help. He's gonna come for me again!" He clutches towards Ranulf, specifically the saber, in an apparent attempt to arm himself.

lothbrok
2013-02-20, 07:06 PM
"oi bugger off! this is mine" i say giving him a hard shove away from me

"lets not try and touch the big boy's toys again, alright? Now what happened t your father? where'd he go, what was he like last time you saw him yada yada etc."

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-02-20, 07:12 PM
Kenjas pushed passed Ranulf. "Easy Ran," he said calmly, "This boy has had a rough time." He handed Beatrice his crossbow. "Let me talk to him," he said looking at the boy. He made a slow and advance to the boy. "My name is Kenjas. I'm a servant of Pelor. We mean no harm to you. Let me see your hands and I shall mend them."

Provengreil
2013-02-20, 07:19 PM
The boy recovers from the shove, but allows the momentum to carry him anyway and stumbles to the back of the room. "By Tyr...please, leave. before he come back. I can't stop him again. You gotta get outta here! run! close the doors and run!"

lothbrok
2013-02-20, 07:23 PM
ranulf sighs "good gods boy was i not clear? you dont need o stop him, thats what we're here for. just point us in the right direction and we'll....oh by the gods look at me when i'm talking to you!"

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-02-20, 07:24 PM
Kenjas holds up his hands and makes eye contact with the boy attempting to attract his attention from Ranulf. He calmly enters the room. "Easy son," he says calmly. "Come. We'll take you outside. You'll be safe. By Pelor's light you have my word."

Provengreil
2013-02-20, 10:23 PM
Facebook session summary:

Resolved the undead encounter. A 16 year old kid is running loose, possessed by an entity of the lower planes. you have a red-bound book in a strange language, that details in some apparent detail some parts of summoning, but it's difficult to tell as you are unable to read it. The old man, and both of the kids parents, are all dead by his heand, and the parents dead again by Ranulf's.

Reports were made to Sieg, who did pay you as you accomplished the primary goals of the encounter, specifically stopping the zombies and gaining some insight as to their origin.

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-02-21, 07:20 AM
Once outside, Seig's office Kenjas turned towards his companions. "I'm heading to the temple," he said, "If you would like to join me you may. If not I shall see you two later." Before awaiting a response, he turned and made his way to the temple of Pelor.

DuSlaanesh
2013-02-21, 02:34 PM
"I think I'd rather not, much as I am interested in that book. I have some shopping to do."

I would like to buy the jewelry required for my Courtier's Outfit that I already have (50gp), assuming I can find a place that would sell such a thing (if not, just let me know and I'll edit my post).

I would like to go to our in-base weapon shop, and buy a Whip (1gp), a Light Crossbow (35gp), and 100 Crossbow Bolts (10gp).

All of this, assuming no changes, leaves me at 16 gold pieces.

I'll store the Crossbow in my sack, the Bolts across my back, tie the whip to my belt, and put on the jewelry, completing my Courtier's Outfit.

Provengreil
2013-02-21, 04:47 PM
The store wouldn't normally stock that, but I'll allow for the assumption that buying this was a goal of yours and you put it on order previously in anticipation of your first bit of real income.

Also, skip the bolts. The only ammo I want people to count are full size daggers if you're throwing them instead of shuriken, magical ammunition, and number of crossbow bolts inside a loaded magazine for a repeater. everything else is so cheap even by level one standards that I just say forget it, you have some, unless I want to add some tension by saying you're running out. but that will only happen in specific situations where it would logically happen (say, a defending a keep situation). So add that gold back in.

lothbrok
2013-02-21, 05:30 PM
"hahaha me pray? nice one there boyo but i think i'll pass."

i'm going to go ahead and grab a chainshirt, which should leave me totally broke.

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-02-21, 07:04 PM
Small Facebook session :

Kenjas visits the Temple of Pelor and receives guidance. Afterwards he spends the rest of the day crafting.

Provengreil
2013-02-21, 07:12 PM
And that will bring us to the next day. Kenjas joins the rest of you at 9 for a very late breakfast, having stayed up a bit late to work at the company's simple alchemy workbench. You've been informed there is no mission for you today. You can explore, pursue some of your own goals, or train for the day to gain some nominal XP.

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-02-21, 07:17 PM
"Sorry I'm late," Kenjas said as he sat down at the breakfast table. "I had a late night." He ate some of his meal. "I did find a lead if any of you are interested," he said, hoping that would take it.

lothbrok
2013-02-21, 09:09 PM
Ranulf kicks back, hands behind his head, and looks out from under the brim of his rather flamboyantly feathered hat "well then my friend lets here it."

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-02-21, 09:43 PM
"There a halfing seer to the north of here," Kenjas replied as he finished his breakfast, "He may be able to help us."

lothbrok
2013-02-21, 09:46 PM
"and thats a lead?" ranulf shrugs ow well better than nothing

i'd like to make a knowledge local roll to see if i know anything else, i have ranks in it

[roll0]

DuSlaanesh
2013-02-22, 01:31 AM
"With no real mission, and no need for money, I should spend some time sharpening my sword skills. Feel free to pursue that lead, I'm going to train around headquarters."

I'm going to spend the day training to gain some nominal XP.

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-02-22, 07:39 AM
Kenjas frowned when he heard Beatrice's remark. "There's more," he replied. "The book we found seems to be written in a language not of this world, but of the lower planes. It's not surprising that no one can read it, but I can. With Pelor's light, I am able to comprehend the dark writings within it." He paused for a moment and took a deep breath. "I was told of the Seer by Mouldrin, the head cleric. He may be able to help change this city. Change it for the good of its people." Kenjas grew quite as he thought about the boy. "He can be saved," he said. "I will save him."

DuSlaanesh
2013-02-22, 11:27 AM
"I genuinely do not care about this city. I'm here to make money and get stronger. However, there are people that I need to find, and to fight...

I'll tell you what, I'll scratch your back if you'll scratch mine. If you seek to improve conditions in this city, then I will help you in whatever way I can, and I CAN make things so much easier for you. In return, I want to know what's in that book, and if we come across either of two specific people, you will help me strike them down for their crimes against me."

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-02-22, 11:33 AM
Kenjas stood up. "I will not strike anyone down," he replied. "I can assist bringing them to justice, but I will not cause any unnecessary harm to them." He started towards the door. "I'll you what the book is about. I am NOT going to tell you how to use it unless I deem it safe."

DuSlaanesh
2013-02-22, 11:53 AM
With a smile, "I thought you would say that. No need to get hostile, Kenjas, we're a mercenary band, not long lost friends here.

Part of why I'm suggesting that I train while you look into this is because I doubt I'll be needed and it's a better use of time. If he needs extra convincing to get the knowledge you seek, just let me know and I'll go see him tomorrow."

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-02-22, 12:23 PM
Kenjas returned a small smile. He went and gathered his equipment. "Well I'm off," he said and looked over to Ranulf. "What are your plans for the day?" he asked.

lothbrok
2013-02-22, 05:16 PM
ranulf starts and looks up from the highly polished blade of is saber where he had been admiring his reflection during the others moral disscussion
"ah yeah....are you kidding? let a fantastic hair day go to waste around this lot or going off to see the wizard. i'm with you mate"

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-02-22, 07:36 PM
Kenjas smirked and together, they headed north towards the Seer's residence.

Provengreil
2013-02-22, 08:50 PM
Leaving Beatrice behind to practice with her sword, you take the Clerics directions and follow the cobbled roads north. As you leave the city gates, the fresh open air and sunlight hit you, energizing you for your little trip. you set off at a brisk pace towards a clump of farmhouses two hours north.

You each keep to your own thoughts as you pass by rows of crops, all products of the lush lowland and backbreaking work. Some farmers are out tending to certain areas, but none are too close to the road. Even though you know the farmers are in as much economic desperation as any, and have much less actual protection from any danger, you can't help but think that they're the lucky ones.

Upon arrival, it's immediately apparent where to go: a wagon, whose beast of burden must be out grazing, is parked just past the edge of the last building. it's nearly midday, and the air would be sweltering if not for a cool sea breeze coming from the southwest. After knocking on the door of the wagon, a voice answers you. Not from within, but from behind you.

"Oh, good day. That is my wagon you're knocking on. May I help you?" A much younger halfling than you'd have expected, maybe thirty, speaks to you. She wears a comfortable looking shortsleeve shirt, a bandanna, worn traveling pants, and is smoking a pipe that disgorges heavy smoke that sinks straight to the ground on every puff. All in all, A much more practical, less mystical outfit than you expected.

lothbrok
2013-02-22, 08:55 PM
Ranulf removes his hat with a flamboyant bow and grins at her, saying(in halfling, becuase i can)
"as a matter of fact i think you can. we're looking for another of your kind a seer. we were hoping he could help us with a small problem we seem to have. could you point us in the right direction?"

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-02-22, 08:56 PM
Kenjas nodded a greeting. "Greetings, I am Kenjas servant of Pelor. This is my friend Ranulf." He paused a moment to let Ranulf offer a greeting if any. "I was told by Father Mouldrin to come speak with a halfling seer." He gave her a once over, "I suppose your the one we're looking for?"

Provengreil
2013-02-22, 09:05 PM
Her eyes widen a bit at the mention of the head cleric. "Father Mouldrin? Fast actor for such a patient guy. He helped me out of a tight spot, but denied any reward. I offered to repay him, but he just refused, even as a donation to the temple. I finally managed to get him to agree to let me do a reading for someone else on his behalf. Didn't think he'd actually send someone. If that's you two, come on in one at a time. There'll be no charge, this is on the house. Or Temple, as the case may be. You first." She points at Ranulf.

She unlocks the caravan, and enters. Ranulf follows, squeezing a bit to enter the doorway but finding the inside close but not uncomfortable.

lothbrok
2013-02-22, 09:06 PM
"well this cosy" he says still grinning and still in halfling

looking around he adds "so what excactky is it that you do...or are going to do"

Provengreil
2013-02-23, 11:52 AM
Having both had your futures read, you walk back. It's been most of a day already, and when you return you find Beatrice in the training yard, sparring against Sieg. It's clear that he's not really trying though, just giving out advice to Beatrice as she fruitlessy attempts to break his guard. Upon seeing you, they give a few more strikes and call it a day.

"That'll be enough, I think. You're progressing, but you need to put more force behind your strikes. You're a bit too quick to pull back, and it takes force away from your blows. I suspect these two have something to share, and that's enough training for today anyway. I suspect there's to be an assignment for your group tomorrow."

He wipes the sweat off his forehead, and heads back inside, leaving the three of you in the training area.

lothbrok
2013-02-23, 12:27 PM
"well that looks like it went well.good to see you wee doing something useful while kenjas and i were off saving the city in a thoroughly heroic manner" Ranulf says with a smile "anything more interesting than crossing swords with the boss man happen to you today?"

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-02-23, 04:29 PM
Kenjas stared blankly at the sky, his thoughts were on his fortune. Though out the entire trek back, he mulled it over in his head. "Truth?" he thought, "Is that what I've been feeling? This sensation that has plague me in my dreams." He slowly moved his gaze down to his companions. "And can I trust them? They're so... so..." He stopped for a moment. "Compromise," crept through his mind. "They're my friends," he thought and gave a small smile. "They're MY friends" His mind turned to the boy. "He's still out there. Trapped and alone. We must help him..." "I'm sorry," he said quietly as his thoughts returned to earth, "I'm sorry."

lothbrok
2013-02-23, 05:10 PM
"and/or alternatively. you've been rather quiet about what the witch told you. how about it then, i'll show you mine if you show me your?" Ranulf says sacastically as he sits producing pen and paper and beging to sketch something

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-02-23, 07:32 PM
Kenjas grew quiet as he spoke her words "Power, moderated by goodness, surrounded by the darkness which would corrupt it. A desire to cleanse, but with light instead of fire. You desire more power that you might save this city, and perhaps that would be good. But again, perhaps not, as power itself is corruptive, and should one man hold too much, even good intentions can turn evil."

lothbrok
2013-02-23, 07:45 PM
"well thats something interesting" Ranulf says blinking slightly "mine was just a tad less formal she didnt tell me much i didnt already know"

"so what do you lot think? i'm almost as handy with a pen as i am a sword. no?". Ranulf says smugly holding up his sketch, an image of a laughing devil's head

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-02-23, 07:50 PM
Kenjas arched an eyebrow at the drawing. "And what's that supposed to mean?" he asked tentatively.

lothbrok
2013-02-23, 07:52 PM
"a hero dances,
and truces hold,
playing against,
the game of thrones.
freedoms seeker
and unwanted king"

"according to her i'm a shell full of chaos just bumbling away looking for freedom and riches but destined to force unity, or some suchj nonsense. bloody witches, never giving straight answers" Ranulf says with a sarcastically rueful shake of his head

"now whats mnext on our agenda" he says hopping up and carefully placing his new image in the band of his hat

DuSlaanesh
2013-02-23, 09:11 PM
"I would classify the training as interesting itself. I am well on my way to a new level of skill with the sword."

Eying the sketch of the laughing devil, though still sweating and panting from training, Beatrice smiles.

"Our current plans, however... I have none, and am open to suggestions. Preferably something that would be worth our while."

lothbrok
2013-02-23, 09:22 PM
"well i'm going to sell off my old armor, but after that i've got nothing. i dont know what the witch told Kenjas about the daemon boy but perhpas he could give us more of a heads up on that whole....situation"

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-02-24, 06:45 AM
Kenjas pulled out the book and patted it. "Its time to do some reading," he replied. "I would like to have you two present when I start in case something... interesting happens." He reached into his pocket and pulled out a hankie and handed it to Beatrice. "After that how about we head down to the pub and discuss things? First round is on me."

lothbrok
2013-02-24, 02:21 PM
ranulfd grins "well you lost me at the part about watching you read but won me over again when you mentioned the drinking. read away"

DuSlaanesh
2013-02-25, 01:12 PM
Wiping her face with the kerchief, Beatrice responds: "Yes, some good drink would be great right about now."

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-02-25, 06:10 PM
"Well first things first," Kenjas said as he pulled out the book. "Let's go to my place," he escorts Beatrice and Ranulf to his room. Setting the book upon a table, he turns to face his two companions. "Alright, I'm going to start reading. If either of you see me acting strange, restrain me until it passes," he said in a quiet, serious tone. He sat down in front of the book and took a deep breath. "Pelor watch over me," he whispered and felt the fires of knowledge burn as he opened the book to where the magic circle is located.

((Casting Comprehend Languages))

Provengreil
2013-02-25, 07:54 PM
You settle in, and begin reading without delay upon casting the spell, stopping only to briefly summarize the pages while Beatrice takes your observations down in common, Ranulf even managing to shove aside his idle personality and watch closely for the ten minutes it'll take.

You skip to the pages you had marked as important.

Your first page describes the circle itself, complete with a picture, and its importance in a summoning. even the most amateurish caster could restrain a summoned devil with one, thought the use of such a magical device also greatly limits what the devil can do for the user. The main ingredients are powdered silver and human blood, and a few mundane blotting ingredients. shuddering at what it took to make the circle, you move on.

The second page, adorned with a circle and a summoned devil, describes more about the actual summoning process, and the creatures you can expect to summon for given "applications" listed on a referenced page. The word applications seems out of appropriate context here, though. you aren't quite sure what's going on, But its apparent that you're holding a guide that, could a normal man read it and acquire its basic reagents, could summon and deal with devils with no magical expertise whatsoever.

The third page page displays the portal, ringed by the edges of the gram, and suggests the opening of a semipermanent gate. Through this, devils might pass unhindered, but only the lowliest types, and the gate itself would be both unstable and fragile, prone to closing at the slightest disturbance. This use of the circle would permit access to many fiends for a single cast, but the materials appear quite costly, and even with the spell you're sure something's being mistranslated: It's requiring a soul, which is both unfortunate and cruel, but one with qualities that cannot coexist, things like having sworn off earthly posessions, while ruling a kingdom with fear.

The fourth page reveals what happened to the boy. An easy way to circumvent the limitations of the pentacle is to have a man inside the summoning area upon spellcasting, wherein a possession takes place. The devil is then free to move about and perform all manner of tasks with no set limitations, but is still bound to the will of its summoner. It makes no mention of the future state of the possessed person.

The fifth and sixth pages are built-in pronunciation guides, which makes you flip back to what you initially thought were hand scrawled ones. Instead, you find that at that point, words that don't translate at all, even to your spell. rather than dwell on it too much, you flip forward a few pages to another area that had some scribbles on it, and find a list of devilish types and some basic descriptions of what to expect. Informative, but quite useless in an immediate term.

The final page you marked turns out to be more on the effects of possession: Gold. You hastily cover everything that might be a highlight. While the exact powers of the possessed naturally depends on the personality of it's possessor, several powers are nigh universal. An ability to generate blasts of elemental magic that aren't actually elemental damage, which explains why the burns didn't seem right. Their success in the material plane, if they have any, often manifests by producing a stronger personality than usual. The skin begins to turn blades much like that of a demon, devil, or fey; the ability to call darkness, powers that, unlike spells, can be used again and again, with no physical consequence of exhaustion, allowing the devil to act upon the material plane with some of the same authorities it would command in its home...and then the words shift, fading into strange writings that you no longer understand. The spell has faded, and while the temptation to use these rituals for your own gain, or to cast the spell again for further knowledge both remain, the book itself seems to be just that: a book.

lothbrok
2013-02-25, 08:02 PM
"well then wasnt that just helpful as they come, a do-it-yourself devil guide." Ranulf says leaping up and clapping his hands together "now hows about that drink?"

DuSlaanesh
2013-02-26, 03:01 AM
I'll fold up the summary I took and put it in my belt pouch.

"This is a very interesting and potentially useful book. There's a lot that it suggests about our boy, as well... we should definitely keep hold of this."

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-02-26, 07:47 AM
Kenjas nodded as he closed the book. "Indeed. It seems I have to make another purchase outside the drinks," he replied and pocketed the book. He smiled as he stood up. "Alright let's head down to the pub."

Provengreil
2013-02-26, 05:23 PM
As you head down to the port area, the day begins to grow later. It's 5 when you get there, passing through double iron gates guarded heavily at all times, and much of the port activity has died down, in favor of some personal time and trading on part of the foreign sailors. It's here, late in the day, that you can sometimes forget how depressed the city is. Not just for the alcohol, but the general activity and more upbeat atmosphere from people who don't live in crushing poverty at all points in their lives. Walking into your favorite popular but generally higher class bar, the Silver Sail, you order a round of drinks and find a table near the edge of the room.

Though a bit sparse at first, the bar fills up quickly enough as the sailors move from browsing the port stalls to drinking, a transition not known for its duration. While some drink quietly in ones or twos, most don't. A captain's table is set up near yours while most of the sailors accompany each other, both groups swapping sea stories. A couple of friendly games of cards are started, sailors are laughing and joking, a few serving wenches collect decent tips as they do their jobs...It's a jarring difference from your general atmosphere.

lothbrok
2013-02-26, 09:38 PM
"well then my devote friend, you're the one who wanted to come down here and since you're paying its only fair you start the conversation"

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-02-27, 06:17 PM
Kenjas took as sip of his drink. "Well," he replied, "Since we're going to be working with each other for some time. I reckon we should get to know each other better. Like where we come from and what brought us here. Stuff like that."

Provengreil
2013-02-27, 08:27 PM
After a night at the bar, it's back to normal. You wake up and get ready, Kenjas joining you in the dining hall at 8. Several other members are there for the moment, including commander Tann, but they all leave shortly for the palace. As has started to become routine, you report to Sieg's office. instead of being in his chair, he's inserting pins into a city map on the wall.

"Oh, perfect timing. I found a mission for you, a two part investagatory job.

"For your first part, report to the docks. A ship has delayed its exit so the captain can report to you. The subject is missing cargo: half a crate of weapons is missing, GAA property. Every now and then a blade sneaks off the line, of course, but it rarely goes noticed until the guardsmen catch him. This, however...this is something else. Get the captain's info so he can shove off.

"The second part involves dealing with the manager from the packing facility for GAA, where the crate came from. You'll start your investigation properly from there. Your objective is to find the weapons: GAA is paying us a small bounty for each one returned, or a higher total bounty if we find and reveal the group responsible for stealing them. If you were to report them, though, you won't get a per-weapon bounty, and they'll be killed for sure. If they're found with the weapons, the same happens. I think it might be best if you could confiscate the weapons but leave the people alive.

"The last note is from me, not the job listing. Yesterday, a family went missing. No zombies, no bodies, just straight missing. One of our other teams is investigating it, but I suspect your otherwordly find from before is behind it. He's going to be a problem, and the disappearances were's far from where you're going, near this brick factory. Watch yourselves."

lothbrok
2013-02-27, 08:45 PM
"well then, not much tim to waste. best get going as oon as we can"

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-02-28, 09:11 AM
Kenjas nodded. "It appears we have quite a busy day ahead of us. I suppose we should start with the captain so the ship can leave," he replied.

DuSlaanesh
2013-02-28, 01:32 PM
I'll crawl out of bed right about now, getting all of my gear set before I go outside.

"Ugh, 'morning. I was up late studying the text. Still have a ways to go on it but I'm confident I'll be able to read it soon."

lothbrok
2013-02-28, 06:22 PM
so i guess if theres nothing more we head on over to the ship

Provengreil
2013-02-28, 07:37 PM
You walk down to the port area again, finding the ship in question. The ship is clearly ready to leave: There is no activity and apparently every sailor is either onboard or on the pier. Upon seeing your interest in the ship, one of the men sitting on the pier gets up and walks over to you. Confirming you're the investigators, he tells you the facts from his perspective.

"I make my living by the sea, carrying cargo here and there. I rarely know more'n half of what I'm carrying, because the crates are marked for weight, fragility, and destination only. We opened this one because it was half weight, so we inspected it, found half the weapons gone. I'm only here telling you this in person because we've been forbidden to leave without your say, as someone else seems to think we might actually know something more."

lothbrok
2013-02-28, 07:41 PM
Ranulf raises his eyebrows "well we'll be deciding that. no kindly point us towards your boss so we can figure it all out"

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-02-28, 07:41 PM
Kenjas nodded a greeting in return. "I see Captain. I assume we have your full cooperation so we can get things sorted out and send you on your way. Do you happen to have a list of your sailors who are sailing out with you?"

Provengreil
2013-02-28, 07:49 PM
The man narrows his glare at Ranulf. "I am the boss, the skipper. I'm the Captain. As for you, sir," looking at Kenjas now, "These men you see in front of you, on the pier and ship, are the crew. Most of them, at least, some are belowdecks somewhere. None of them have taken the weapons: If we were gonna take half a crate full of gear, why on earth would we report it? No, those blades were missing before they got to the ship."

lothbrok
2013-02-28, 07:53 PM
Ranulf eyes open slightlyt "oh well then my apologizes. at any rate if they were taken before they reached you it had to be on their way. where is it you pick up the shipments from? give me a full rundown of everything you know about the shipping process."

Provengreil
2013-02-28, 07:55 PM
The captain motions to a large area behind you with a number of large scales without saying a word.

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-02-28, 07:55 PM
Kenjas nodded. "My apologize, Captain" he replied, "I meant no rudeness. But in order to perform a proper investigation we need to be thorough. If you comply this can be over quickly and you can be on your way. Otherwise we may have to detain you as we gain further details."

Dipolomacy check [roll0]

lothbrok
2013-02-28, 07:58 PM
Ranulf sighs "so all you know is that the crates show up on the dock, you weigh them, and then put them on board and leave?"

Provengreil
2013-02-28, 08:01 PM
"Look, I make my living fair. My men pick the boxes up from over there, with a cargo manifest. It list destinations and suppliers for each crate. The crates themselves are marked fragile if necessary, and usually the only cargo we know the contents of is bricks: I make a point of trading them because while they usually sell for low margins, I can use them as easy ballast and save extra there. Not a lot of merchant ships know the tricks to actually making money with ballast, I'll tell ya. We don't pay for the cargo itself, it's never ours. Instead, they pay us to move their cargo, and we don't get to know what's inside without good reason to inspect it. And I'm telling you, stealing our supplier's cargo and then going and telling them about it is madness. We don't even need weapons, most of my men have a weapon in their posessions somewhere, and the ship has a weapon locker besides for emergencies."

lothbrok
2013-02-28, 08:06 PM
"dont worry we're not accusing you of anything. in fact i agree with you, to steal from your employers and then tell them is a special kind of stupid. we're just trying to figure out what we can. now who were the suppliers for this particular cargo? and if possible i would like a look at your manifest."

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-02-28, 08:07 PM
Kenjas looked at the captain for a few moments. "Can you show us which scale was used to measure the contents of this particular crate?"

Sense Motive [roll0]

Provengreil
2013-02-28, 08:09 PM
"General Arms, Alhafra. Who else would it be?

And we used...Which one did we use?" He calls this last one to his crew, one of whom answers. "It was that one near the back, with the 80 pound weight on one side."

lothbrok
2013-02-28, 08:11 PM
Ranulf shrugs and grins slightly "no one, but its always good to check the details. now the cargo manifest if you will?"

Provengreil
2013-02-28, 08:15 PM
He displays a paper for you.

"You can look, but you cannot have the manifest. This crate was supposed to be 90 pounds of steel, instead it came in at about 40. It's listed here." You see the listing, that it was headed for some city and tradesman none of you recognize, and the transportation price of 75 gold pieces.

lothbrok
2013-02-28, 08:23 PM
"well then isnt that helpful. who else new about the shipment? i gather it wasnt exactly a private affair."

Provengreil
2013-02-28, 09:10 PM
"Oh, I suppose anyone who works in the packing chain. The guys that loaded, moved, and so on. I don't know their names."

lothbrok
2013-02-28, 09:15 PM
Ranulf nods "about what i'd have thought. i dont know about my companions but i only have one final question. were any of your crewmen hired particularly recently? with in the last two months or so? or are any of them from around these parts?"

Provengreil
2013-02-28, 09:18 PM
"We have a couple new guys, but no one from round here."

lothbrok
2013-02-28, 09:20 PM
"where did you pick these new guys up? any reason to think there might be a connection between them and the theft?"

Provengreil
2013-02-28, 09:27 PM
"I though we'd covered this. My men aren't responsible, we don't know who is. For Umberlee's sake, we reported it!"

lothbrok
2013-02-28, 09:31 PM
Ranulf holds up his hands and smiles "no worries my friend, i believe you. just a formality. at any rate i have nothing else to ask you then. i'll leave you with my friends here."

with that i leave the conversation to the others and walk over to inspect the scales, just for the sake of it

DuSlaanesh
2013-03-01, 12:32 AM
"...If the weapons were taken before they even got on the ship, I doubt there's much else to be gained here. Feel free to leave as soon as you wish, unless there's further query. I apologize for keeping you here as long as we have."

Provengreil
2013-03-01, 06:23 AM
"Aye then. Cast off those lines boys, we're leaving! And fair seas to you." He finishes his goodbye with a ludicrously extravagant bow, with waving hands and a big sweeping hat, and so on. His men, though, are focused on business, and have probably been ready to leave for some time. Within two minutes, the ship is moving off, your group watching with some impression as to how fast they did it. As soon as it does, A dockworker approaches Beatrice.

"Miss, the cap o that there ship tipped me t' give yer this." He hands you a letter.

DuSlaanesh
2013-03-01, 01:12 PM
With a smile, "Hm, thank you."

I'll take it graciously and read it to myself in private.

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-03-01, 06:00 PM
Kenjas' curiousity piped but he kept it to himself knowing that she would share if she wanted to. "Well, off to GAA then to continue with the investigation," he said.

DuSlaanesh
2013-03-01, 06:04 PM
As I read it, my face goes from mostly expressionless to intrigued, then hand the note over to Ranulf and Kenjas:

the message says: I assume if you're reading this you're the Investigation team, and we've left already. I don't know now what I've told you, but I intend not to tell you this: That crate wasn't half empty. Half the weapons were gone, but the other half of the weight was a child, now on his way out of that dark place. I'm a good man. Too soft for a sea captain, some say. I won't let a child those others risked so much to help be dragged back into the city.
The ridiculous goodbye bow was my signal to deliver this message: Had I not marked your group as one of at least some character, you wouldn't be reading this. The child was a surprise, I did not know he would be there until we packed him onboard. But I won't give him up. And neither should you.
Captain Sedgewick A. Brown

"Well then, this makes things much more interesting..."

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-03-01, 06:09 PM
Kenjas gave a small smile. "Well my friends. It seems we are unable to recover the weapons," he said with a wink to Beatrice. "I suppose we should skip seeing GAA for a time to let the ship get as far as possible and head for the lead Seig gave us." He paused. "But before we do. I suggest we pick up some silver weapons."

lothbrok
2013-03-02, 09:37 PM
"brilliant idea there...except for tha fact that silver is expensive, noy usually made into weapons, oh and we're mostlt broke sooo...might be just a tad harder than that"

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-03-03, 08:15 PM
Kenjas shook his head, "Not true. However let's go talk with the other investigation team before we go off buying things." He looked around the docks one last time. "Ready whenever you two are."

lothbrok
2013-03-03, 09:40 PM
"well if you say so. lets go see what else we've got"

DuSlaanesh
2013-03-03, 09:49 PM
Lost in thought, "Hm? Right, let's head on over."

Provengreil
2013-03-03, 10:00 PM
Kenjas shook his head, "Not true. However let's go talk with the other investigation team before we go off buying things." He looked around the docks one last time. "Ready whenever you two are."

Forgive me if I mislead you somehow, but there isn't one, at least that you know of. You guys are the investigation team. So where are you headed next?

lothbrok
2013-03-03, 10:50 PM
"so then i take it we have no interest in actually looking for these weapons?"

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-03-04, 06:36 AM
Kenjas shrugged. "I suppose it can't hurt to search the docks," he replied.

((Gonna take 20 on a search check. And I thought there was another team at the house Seig wanted us to go to. My mistake.))

Provengreil
2013-03-04, 06:49 AM
there's another destination, not another team. I'll edit this post when I get back from work to give you some detail on your search of the docks, so check back around 5, 5:30 your time zone.

UPDATE: You take your time and search the dock area, at least near the just departed ship. Footprints are useless, there are far too many of them, and all the crates you might have checked or even opened have just sailed, the ship already disappearing fast under a decent tailwind. Stepping up to the scale, you check it for accuracy and find that while slightly off, its not out of caliber in any meaningful way. There are small wood chips and shavings everywhere, Leftovers from other crates that have splintered off, but even now a crew is waiting impatiently to clean up. None of the shopkeepers or workers nearby report anything out of place with the shipment itself, nor at time of its delivery the previous afternoon.

All told, your search was thorough but has revealed no further clues. wherever the weapons were stolen and the stowaway inserted, it wasn't at the docks, as far as you can tell.

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-03-04, 07:18 PM
Kenjas gave a satisfied sigh. "Well they're not here," he said as his search was finished. He paused and thought for a moment. " At the moment, I think it is pointless to go to GAA empty handed. I think our next move should be the lead Seig gave us. Perhaps the two might have something in common, but its unlikely."

lothbrok
2013-03-04, 07:24 PM
Ranulf peers up from under the brim of his hat, which he had tilted over his eyes as he reclined lazily while kenjas searched the dock "what lead? all he mentioned was another disappearance and he has someone on that so not our problem. but he did say to actully continue our investigtion from GAA. if we're going to find anything useful it will be from there. so i vote we head that way and look around somewhere more intriguing than a loading dock"

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-03-04, 08:05 PM
Kenjas nodded. "Fine, let's go," he replied.

Provengreil
2013-03-04, 10:41 PM
You leave the docks, passing through the wrought iron gates by showing your weapon permits, and move through the streets. There are a few people on the way, most of them hauling something to the docks, but you're in the more industrial areas right now, and few unemployed people are allowed here. As you move towards the weaponsmiths area, the noise of a small crowd draws your attention. Despite how each of you might feel about this personally, you're sure you'll regret not checking this out later professionally, so you decide to.

The sight greeting you has all the markings of a strike. You've arrived at the gates to the brick drying yards. Over a short wall, maybe four feet high, there is a very large courtyard of sorts, flattened out and smoothed over with planks of wood. Rows and rows of nothing but half dry bricks lay out there, and along each pair of rows, a small child, probably six or seven years old, works along, turning bricks on their sides. The protestors are gathered in a pentagonal crossroads, surrounded by several dirty buildings on four sides of unknown use, and the brickyard on the last, making noise in general, but it dies down almost as soon as you arrive as a man climbs a crate and begins to speak.

"We have to stop this! We've been made slaves to our own debt! Ten or more hours a day, doing the same menial, backbreaking task! Our holders barely let us eat, yet they get fat on the finest foods! They won't even pay us enough to cover the rent they charge, yet dare suggest it's our fault we can't climb up! We need to stand up for ----AUUGH!" He crumples to the ground, a crossbow bolt sticking out of his ankle. You look up towards its origin on one of the balconies. One of the people near you says in a hushed voice, "Oh Pelor, it's Viktor!"

A male catfolk, a bit on the short side, holds an unusually large repeater crossbow. His faintly tigerstriped and round face clashes horribly with his almost garish outfit: dark black leather armor, with a wide, encircling cloak that's black on the inside, but a strangely clean white on the outside. Tucked into two small holsters on the front of his legs are a matched pair of hand crossbows. His primary one glows faintly with a bluish light. What is most striking is the look on his face: His smile is ear to ear, but instead of joy it's more along the lines of savage pleasure. "I really must suggest you simply lie down, otherwise you're in someone's line of fire, hehe. You see, it's a sort of service I provide to you. You, your children, your family...their hands will never be idle. And as they say, busy hands are happy hands. Of course, I think you in particular won't need those anymore, right?" He pulls the trigger twice more, nailing the man's hands to the box.

"Listen up, everyone! I've come up with a new system of rewarding you for your service. Anyone who takes undue breaks, goes home early, or starts trouble will receive a gift!" As he says the word gift, his voice rising almost to an excited squeal as he pulls the trigger, disabling the man's final limb. "And, as many of you live in my housing, work in my generous workplaces, and use many of the products you so lovingly make, you know what a giving man I am." Again, he punctuates the word giving with a final bolt. Racking a lever that runs from where the bolts come out all the way to the back along the center of the bow up and down with a loud cranking sound, He aims the bow into the crowd and drops his oiled attempts at making everything sound strangely upbeat. "Now get back to work." As the crowd begins to disperse, he heads back into the building behind him and closes the door.

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-03-05, 06:50 AM
"Damnable catfolk," Kenjas cursed and pushed his way through the crowd to the fallen man. He leaned down next to him and looked him over.

Heal check [roll0]

DuSlaanesh
2013-03-05, 02:18 PM
I'll stick right next to Kenjas, keeping a watchful eye on the crowd.

Provengreil
2013-03-05, 04:46 PM
The crowd is rapidly dispersing, slinking away fearfully. The man is dead for sure, the final bolt in his abdomen, pinned at four points to a wooden box that looks all of a sudden like someone took a sledgehammer to it, broken completely in two of the impact points and damaged at two more.

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-03-05, 05:56 PM
Kenjas cursed under his breath and removed the arrows from the man. Dragging it over to the side, he placed two copper pieces over the man's eyes while placing him in a more peaceful position and administered last rites. "We should get moving," he said as he stood with clenched fists.

DuSlaanesh
2013-03-05, 06:32 PM
Quietly, to Kenjas, brooding: "...That was quite a shocking display.... The way that cat killed the protestor brought up bad memories of the mage.... If people like that are running this city then something drastic needs to happen."

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-03-05, 07:58 PM
Kenjas glared at the door the the catperson went behind. "Let's... keep.... moving," he said through gritted teeth and continued to their destination.

lothbrok
2013-03-05, 08:22 PM
Ranulf whistles between his teeth while he shakes his head "one man in this whole city has the stomach to stand up for himself and thats what he gets. it just doesent seem quite right. Atleast we know there is something besides terrified, broken, sheep in this town though. lets move on"

Provengreil
2013-03-05, 10:55 PM
Moving on in a slight state of shock, you trudge towards the GAA warehouse. Upon arrival, a pair of heavily armed and armored guards stop you and check your business. They tell you to wait at the entrance, which is little more than a warehouse side door with a small awning. Soon, a thin elf steps out. He's dressed in decent enough clothes, but they're overdue for a wash. You can see a clear look of worry, but it's written so deep in his face that you wonder if that might not be his general state of existence. He greets you. Sort of.

"O-oh, are you the investigators we sent off for? I was-uh-I wasn't expecting you to be armed...I-I'm not in trouble, am I?"

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-03-06, 06:26 AM
During the remain walk, Kenjas regained some of his composure. "We are the investigators," he replied, "And your not in trouble. Just wanted at task some questions." He paused for a moment and extended his hand. "I am Kenjas, cleric of Pelor. These are my companions Beatrice and Ranulf. Who might you be?"

Diplomacy check [roll0]

Provengreil
2013-03-06, 06:35 AM
"My n-name's Tamlin. I manage Jayrus' business in this b-building. We take the gear the others make, a-all kinds of it, and s-sort and pack it."

DM NOTE: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172910

that thread contains a few of the site admin's rule suggestions, and we're using the diplomacy one. I suggest you give it a once-over: basically, you'll use diplomacy when you're asking for something not already stated or implied that would cost the giver something, though that thing does not have to be an object. An introduction, however, would not require a check. If you roll others when not needed, I'll simply ignore them, but if you roll and it was needed, I'll tell you when I use it. and naturally, I'll call if I need one and you didn't roll.

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-03-06, 06:05 PM
Kenjas smiled and set his hand down. "Its a pleasure to make your acquaintance Tamlin." He paused. "We have been to the docks and have allowed the crate and its contents," he said enunciating the word "contents"," to shove off with the ship. At the moment we're still trying to locate the missing weapons. Perchance do you know what sort of weapons were packed in the crate?"

Provengreil
2013-03-06, 06:40 PM
"A-an assortment, I think. The shipment out was, well, large, and all the crates w-were headed for the s-same person. I remember it was mostly b-basic blades, you know, s-saber and longswords a-and the like."

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-03-06, 06:45 PM
Kenjas nodded. "Are the lads who transported the crate around?" he asked.

Provengreil
2013-03-06, 07:26 PM
"Y-yes, th-they're in my o-office." As talk turns to these people, he grows visibly more nervous.

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-03-06, 07:29 PM
Kenjas frowned and followed Tamlin into his office.

lothbrok
2013-03-06, 07:29 PM
"well then we'd like to speak to them first"

Provengreil
2013-03-06, 07:41 PM
Well i didn't say he heads there, but I'll assume you asked to speak to them, because he'd have agreed.

As you go inside, it's a lot less full than you expected for a building of its size. most of the floor is marked off with various chalk lines, with crates sparsely sorted in them. At one end, a number of men pack crates according to some lists, watched very closely by yet more armed guards, eight of them. Only one corner of the dim, hot area is walled off, the rest supported by thick pillars in the middle. It is to this walled off corner that you proceed.

Inside is a small desk with some neatly stacked order forms, and six men stand waiting for you, each armed in some way but much more lightly armored than the main guards. two have kite shields, the rest sport only a sword or warhammer, and all wear studded leather armor.

"T-these men were charged with guarding the last shipment. I-I'll leave you to your b-buisiness." He leaves the room, and the men turn to you, one of them stepping forward slightly but not speaking, waiting impatiently for you to begin.

lothbrok
2013-03-06, 07:43 PM
Ranulf crosses his arms and leans against the wall "care to tell us what happened?"

Provengreil
2013-03-06, 08:05 PM
The man speaks. "Finally, someone willing to get right to it.

It's not uncommon for people to try and hit our shipments, but it's incredibly rare their weapons are more than rocks. this guys, though...He hit us with...well, I have no idea, but he hit us. Damn near took Tom out in his opening shot, he's gonna be down for a week. Magic, i think, but hells knows what it really was. We pursued, of course, and he led us down an alley. One of the iron gates was there, beyond it is a restricted area. Not sure what its for. guards for the thing were gone. dunno where.

Anyway, he hops it like it's nothin at all. Turns around as we slow down not to hit it. His eyes glow, it was unnatural, that, and this green fog rises out the ground, see. We all start to feel a bit weak, and we can't get past the gate anyway, its locked, so we turn around to get outta there. A bunch o' beggars, believe it or not, is standin there, holdin huge wood scraps like a wall to block us in. I thought we was dead for sure with the fog, poison I bet, but it didn't do lasting harm that we can tell.

Anyhow, they just keep us boxed in there for a few minutes, and then scoot like no tomorrow. we come back an the shipment's completely untouched, none o' the boxes look messed with or nothin'. But if the weapons got stole, it was then. guess they pried a crate open, took what they could hold, and nailed it in to lower suspicion. I s'pose it worked."

lothbrok
2013-03-06, 08:10 PM
Ranulf lifts an eyebrow and glances at kenjas "sound like anyone we know?" looking back at the guards "what exactly happened to...tom was it? describe his injury, burns, cuts, bruises what?"

lothbrok
2013-03-06, 08:14 PM
oh and i'd like to make a knowledge local check to see what i know bout these irons gates

[roll0]

Provengreil
2013-03-06, 08:49 PM
There are districts in the city, and they have very clear boundaries. You've seen this in game yourself(Though, in the interest of momentum given our gaming medium, I mostly just mentioned it). Heavy iron barred gates, about eight feet tall, guarded at all times, placed at certain alleyways separate these districts. Some are just fences, others are actual gate sections, but they're all called "the gates".

As for Kenjas' question: "Yeah, they were burns o some sort or another, a bit purplish tho. so was the beam...thing that made em. What'd you mean, you know this guy?"

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-03-06, 08:54 PM
Kenjas frowned. A million questions where going through his head. "Could you take us where you were attacked," he asked.

lothbrok
2013-03-06, 09:34 PM
Ranulf nods "that would be for the best. and i say know but i mean we tried to kill him once....obviously we didnt."

DuSlaanesh
2013-03-07, 01:09 AM
"Hm... this just gets more and more curious..."

Provengreil
2013-03-07, 06:28 AM
"Aye, I knew you'd be askin that. You shouldn't need all of us to show you that though. You four get back to your normal jobs." He points to the four with no shields. "You guys, follow me."

He leads you out of the warehouse, down a series of paths. The route is indirect, but he explains that it was chosen because the roads are widest along this path, making a surprise attack a bit harder to pull off successfully. they come to a point not much different from any of the others. "This is where we were when the spell flew from behind that building." He points to a small alleyway off to the right. "Follow that, take a left at the fork, and you'll come to the gate we were trapped near. If you wanna check it out, go ahead, but I'm waiting here if it's all the same to you."

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-03-07, 07:57 AM
Kenjas nodded. "I'll be back in a bit," he said and headed to the area the guard was describing. Once he got there he looked around for anything of interest.

((I'd like to take 20 on a search check.))

DuSlaanesh
2013-03-07, 09:19 AM
I'll follow Kenjas, Longsword drawn just as precaution.

Once we're alone and distant enough from anyone else not to be overheard:
"... it seems that there's a lot going on here, far more than we expected. I've been focusing my attentions on the Infernal text, so let me make sure I'm following all of this... there are no missing weapons, at least they weren't stolen in transit. They were taken out so that a child could be smuggled. That ship captain didn't tell us who was responsible, but if we report him we will get a high bounty. Naturally, you won't be wanting to do that, however. So, does this mean that this incident was to remove the child? Also, if there are no weapons to be found then what are we looking for here?"

Provengreil
2013-03-07, 06:14 PM
The back alley is much as the men described it. A small space, maybe ten feet long and only a few feet wide stands before the bars. Large, thick pieces of wood lay on the ground at the end, with a lot of footprints at the end of it. The wood has some fresh cuts in the middle, as if struck by something sharp. rather than go out towards the street, the footprints lead down the other direction at the fork.

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-03-07, 06:31 PM
Kenjas equipped his shield. "The weapons were taken and replaced by a child," he began to Beatrice. "The child was taken the docks and went with the ship. The weapons have been presumably taken by the thugs who held up the guards. They were led by something that sounds like the daemon. Green fog and a purplish blast." He started to follow the footprints. "So I figure we follow these prints, we may find the weapons and possibly our missing daemon."

DuSlaanesh
2013-03-07, 07:33 PM
"Sounds good to me."

lothbrok
2013-03-07, 08:21 PM
Ranulf shrugs. " I don't like our chances of findng anything this long after th fact, but I you two insist we might as well take a look. However it might be better t finish with our friends back there first"

DuSlaanesh
2013-03-08, 12:08 AM
"I doubt we'll find anything either, but the last thing I want is to be ambushed in some random alley, as they were.

On that note, there's something I'd like to bring up. The entity was aided by beggars in distracting these men. Clearly it or someone who has power over it is planning something, and it or they have allies in the city. Whether this is because of some spell or there are devil worshipers within the population is irrelevant. Who are its allies? Just a group of random beggars, or are there more? Who can we trust? We're going to have to be far more careful from now on, possibly even at headquarters...."

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-03-08, 06:27 AM
Kenjas paused for a moment and thought things over. "Your right," he said as he reluctantly returned to his companions. "I suppose when they're ready, they will come to us. Let us dismiss those guards and head over to the house Seig wants us to investigate."

Provengreil
2013-03-08, 06:29 AM
You dismiss the shipment guards, figuring they don't need to hang around as they have no more information they can give you.

You follow the tracks, not a dificult task even though none of you have training. they end a couple hundred feet away, going down some stairs to a basement entrance.

lothbrok
2013-03-08, 07:35 PM
"well there seems to be a fairly obvious thing to do here." Ranulf says as he pushes to the front draws his weapons and tries the handle

Provengreil
2013-03-08, 07:55 PM
To your moderate surprise, the door opens right up. Eight men sit in a dimly lit cellar, in chairs around a few tables. Each wears very ragged clothes and look fairly haggard. Seven of them have weapons; two with basic clubs, but five of them have blades, 4 shortswords and one with a scimitar. the final man is unarmed.

The one with the saber reacts first after a short, stunned silence on both sides. "****! they've come!"

Please roll initiative.

lothbrok
2013-03-08, 08:05 PM
"well heres a small suprise" Ranulf says with a smile

[roll0]

DuSlaanesh
2013-03-08, 11:21 PM
Initiative 10

"Time for some fun."

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-03-09, 06:26 AM
Kenjas took a defensive pose (Total defense action). "Wait a minute!," he yelled,
"Are you people who replaced the weapons with a child?" he asked the men.

[roll0]

Provengreil
2013-03-09, 08:19 AM
You say the words and prepare to dodge. Beatrice is next. You're kind of stuck behind Ranulf right now, check your email. You still have your blade drawn from before, nobody else on either team has weapons ready.

DuSlaanesh
2013-03-09, 06:05 PM
"Kenjas, you realize that's not something to say to just anyone, yes? They may use this information against us if they're not."

I'm going to Tumble past Ranulf, moving to one space in front of him then one to the right. My check result is 16 (9 roll + 7 modifier), so this works. Then I'll also take a Total Defense action, keeping my guard up by wielding my blade in two hands.

"... far more careful."

Provengreil
2013-03-09, 06:11 PM
The one with a scimitar says to the unarmed one, "Get going." The unarmed man runs out the door on the other side, not so much opening it as simply running through while turning the handle. The man with the scimitar moves to the doorway and takes a defensive stance. "Get them!" The others grab their weapons from whatever nearby places they were, but do not move, instead shifting their grips and taking clumsy stances.

Ranulf is up.

lothbrok
2013-03-10, 12:59 PM
"We'll this looks like it might be just to easy" I say as I draw my axe in my free hand and keep my saber ready in my other.
I move to the other side of the door from Beatrice and free up the doorway for Kenjas

Provengreil
2013-03-10, 01:02 PM
Kenjas, you're up. the map is unchanged except Ranulf and Beatrice are just inside the doorway, flanking it on either side.

Edited for horrible grammar.

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-03-10, 06:57 PM
Kenjas moved up slightly ahead of his companions. Keeping his defensive stance he spoke up. "We really don't want to harm you. We just want some answers. If we can settle this peacefully no one will get hurt. Just answer a few of our questions and then let's decide if we want to fight afterwards."

Diplomacy [roll0]

Provengreil
2013-03-10, 07:50 PM
Please use present tense, and specifics. He moves up, center square one step ahead of his comapnions, etc.

"Hear that lads? The shorty won't fight back, so it's seven on two. We can take em!"

Beatrice is up.

DuSlaanesh
2013-03-10, 08:12 PM
I'm going to maintain my Total Defense and remain where I am, staring angrily at our opponents.

"Come then, and die, maggots."

Provengreil
2013-03-10, 08:35 PM
The men finally move in, they're hesitant to get within striking distance for a brief moment, then one of the men with clubs jumps in and clocks Ranulf right in the side of the head. the others break loose and move in as well, but their clumsy swings show a distinct lack of training, compounded by your defensive stances.

The one with the scimitar, in the doorway, does not move, instead adopting a ready pose and watching the battle intently.

Ranulf takes 6 damage.

lothbrok
2013-03-10, 08:44 PM
Ranulf snarls and attacks the offending clubman with both weapons

sword [roll0]

axe [roll1]

damage
axe [roll]1d6+2[roll]

saber [roll]1d6+2[roll]

lothbrok
2013-03-10, 08:45 PM
damage

axe [roll0]

damage [roll1]

lothbrok
2013-03-10, 08:48 PM
damage....again

axe [roll0]

saber [roll1]

Provengreil
2013-03-10, 08:52 PM
Even as your first strike falls, you curse yourself for throwing such a weak blow and wind up for a second, better one. It goes right past the first target as he falls to the ground and handily takes down number two, to your surprise. the first one is on the ground, immobile but still conscious, as far as you can tell. the second is out and bleeding.

Kenjas is up.

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-03-10, 09:02 PM
Kenjas steps back and says a prayer (Bless) afterwards, he bends down and examines the two men Ranulf has incapacitated and provides first aid.

Heal Check : [roll0]

lothbrok
2013-03-10, 09:03 PM
Ranulf snarls and says "how about you wait until they're not trying to kill us before you do that"

Provengreil
2013-03-10, 09:05 PM
Those are two standard actions. I'm going to take the spell as yours. Your heal check will have to wait.

A couple of the closest men take advantage of your distraction, but fail to capitalize properly. Beatrice is up, and your team is blessed. +1 attack.

DuSlaanesh
2013-03-10, 09:28 PM
I'll slash at the opponent to the right of me on the map, swinging my father's Longsword with two hands: Attack Roll 8, 12 damage if it hits though I doubt it.

I'm going to then take a five-foot step back towards Kenjas, leaving me just in front of the door.

"There's a fine line between nobility in battle and betraying one's comrades, Kenjas."

And that will be all for me this round.

Provengreil
2013-03-10, 09:35 PM
The inexperienced warrior attempts to reverse his momentum and jump back, but is too slow. You just catch him with the tip of your blade, and bring him down. He's bleeding fast.

The remaining three look at the scene in horror, but instead of pulling back like you might expect they grimace and step in. Two of them flank Kenjas, one clipping his armor. The final one follows Beatrice in, lunging wildly and missing.

The man in the doorway shouts, "Come on, at least take one of them down!" but stays put in his stance.

lothbrok
2013-03-11, 05:16 PM
i tepp forward and attack the nearest opponent

saber [roll0]

axe [roll1]

lothbrok
2013-03-11, 05:19 PM
damage

saber [roll0]

axe [roll1]

whoops sorry rolled wrong bonuses substract 2 from all those rolls

Provengreil
2013-03-11, 05:20 PM
You land a pair of hits and drop him to the ground, dead for sure. Two are left standing. Kenjas, you're up.

EDIT: wrong number of guys originally listed, post fixed.

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-03-11, 05:37 PM
Kenjas sighs as he saw the man behind him fall. He took a five foot step forward allowing Ranulf to move ahead. "You should have surrendered," he said as he took a defensive pose.

DuSlaanesh
2013-03-12, 10:47 PM
I'll slash at the opponent nearest to me with my father's longsword, two-handed. The total attack roll is 12, and the damage dealt is also 12.

That's all for me this round.

Provengreil
2013-03-13, 05:15 AM
The last remaining assailant closes his eyes and swings wildly at Beatrice, missing to absolutely nobody's surprise. Ranulf is up.

since there's only two of them and one still hasn't moved, I won't bother with more maps. Ranulf cannot reach the last one with a 5 foot step, so no double striking him, but you can easily move there. The last one is in the doorway still, just standing ready.

lothbrok
2013-03-13, 07:15 PM
i move to the remaining man and take one attack with my saber.

attack [roll0]

damage [roll1]

Provengreil
2013-03-13, 07:18 PM
You take a low slice along his gut, not spilling anything but leaving him on the ground, bleeding out all the same.

"Worthless punks. still, they serve a purpose..." Says the man in the doorway.

Kenjas is up.

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-03-13, 07:28 PM
Kenjas moved to the most wounded of the men. "You two take him on, I'll make sure the survivors don't bleed out." He knelt down. "And before you two go on about me being traitorous. Think that the more we have alive, the higher the chance that someone will talk. Besides, I think the three of us verus him is a bit overkill." Without another word he set about, making sure the person didn't die.

Heal check [roll0]

Provengreil
2013-03-13, 07:36 PM
One of them was dead already, and even as you kneel down the light dies from another. Three more are severely wounded, and one is barely bleeding and even concious, holding a wound that will clearly get a lot worse if he tries to do anything. You quickly and expertly patch up one of the three, and stop the wounds as fast as you can. He's still in danger without long term care or a couple good healing spells, but he's not going to die this minute.

Beatrice is up. it's about 20 feet to the doorway. the final man has yet to move, keeping his sides behind the doorway.

DuSlaanesh
2013-03-13, 07:50 PM
"DI'UR·AUD!
J'OUTH·ORL'GE K'ORL·URUN'!
J'ENT·AUD'JA AUD·ENT, DA'EVE·AKH'GE-IN!
Daze!"

Casting Daze upon the last man standing. Assuming he's 4HD or less, if he fails a will save at DC14, he can take no actions for 1 round.

Then I'll move to within 10 feet of him, holding my sword out at the ready.

That's all for my turn.

Provengreil
2013-03-13, 07:54 PM
"Wh..What did you...do...?"

It succeeds. Ranulf is up.

lothbrok
2013-03-13, 09:38 PM
ok, after that we decked the guy with the scimitar. beatrice and i (ranulf) proceeded through the door he was guarding after the man who fled earlier. we ran down some tunnels eventually moving into an old abandoned sewer system, after using the power of our ears to listen for our quarry at several forks in the tunnels we eventually found him conversing with the deamon from our first mission. he revealed he was smuggling people out of the city in exchange for their souls. beatrice then petioned him for aid to have her own venegance in exchange for her soul, an offer he ignored after evidently just then realizing we must have killed his guards. he then admitted to being responsible for the missing weapons and the boy from earlier. After a very brief conversation kenjas joined us and the deamon vanished after saying something to the affect of having a further use for us in the future. we then decided to collect the weapons and bodies of the dead/dying tugs and return them for the pomised bounty.

DuSlaanesh
2013-03-15, 12:15 AM
I'd rather honor part of what we said to Kenjas and not move the bodies. Too much grunt work after all that fighting. All we need to do is grab the weapons and point out this location to our superiors. They'll take care of the rest. If you want to haul them all, or even a body or two, feel free. I need some rest.

Private, for Provengreil's eyes only:
We do, however wish to search the bodies for anything unusual. Also I owe you at least one Bluff check from a conversation with Kenjas after you went to bed, where I told him I forgive him for his actions. I do not. His carelessness may have led to my end goal being completely undone. The result is 11.

Provengreil
2013-03-15, 05:16 AM
The only things in the room are furniture, some bodies, and 5 blades (4 shortswords, one scimitar.) There is nothing else of interest.

DuSlaanesh
2013-03-15, 12:27 PM
Okay then, thank you.

We would like to bring the weapons back to headquarters now, assuming Ranulf has no other wishes. No need to haul people, unconscious or dead.

lothbrok
2013-03-15, 05:37 PM
i'm cool with that

Provengreil
2013-03-15, 06:22 PM
The pair of you return to base, it's mid-afternoon. After cleaning off and changing to some spare clothes, you do some light training, Ranulf working on weapon balance while Beatrice studies the book to a greater degree, working on learning the language. Despite not having any reference materials save the soft translation that Kenjas gave, you find yourself making real progress.

lothbrok
2013-03-15, 06:43 PM
when we're done there i'd like to report to sieg and give him the run down of our adventures, leaving out the entire conversation with the demon.

Provengreil
2013-03-15, 06:49 PM
Wait for Kenjas, and preferably get a team discussion going on what to withhold, if anything.

lothbrok
2013-03-15, 06:53 PM
oh yeah, forgot about him

Provengreil
2013-03-17, 05:17 PM
Kenjas comes in later in the afternoon, a bit grumpy, and cleans up a bit before rejoining you. You convene in a shady corner of the training yard, watching a few other members spar as you have your discussion.

Now's the time to discuss what to say, and to whom, etc.

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-03-17, 05:58 PM
Kenjas sighed as he leaned his back against the wall. "So how did the bounty collecting go," he asked.

lothbrok
2013-03-17, 06:00 PM
"it didnt, we were waiting for you to proceed"

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-03-17, 06:16 PM
Kenjas nodded. "Well then," he replied, "Let's go ahead and proceed with that."

Provengreil
2013-03-17, 06:19 PM
Please use present tense. Kenjas nods, not Kenjas nodded.

lothbrok
2013-03-17, 06:38 PM
"well first lets decide what we'll tell the boss. vote we leave out everything pretaining to the demon, just say we apprehended the thief and he escaped"

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-03-17, 06:42 PM
Kenjas shook his head. "In terms what who to tell what. I believe we should inform Seig of the daemon. If we report to the GAA, then we should lie."

lothbrok
2013-03-18, 08:03 PM
Ranulf thinks for a minute and nods slowly "yes i think that might be best. we tell sieg that we encountered the deamon and that hes behind the weapon theft but we leave out some of the....more sensative details.oh and best let me do the talking, if it comes to it i suspect i might have just a touch more talent at lying then you do."

DuSlaanesh
2013-03-18, 11:39 PM
"I think it might be best if I handle this, personally. We have to be very careful about what's said when, and to be perfectly honest, neither of you have shown much skill in that at this point. The way things work in this city, one wrong move and we could find ourselves in a world of trouble. And I want us to continue working here, together. I need the two of you, now more than ever."

We'll head over to where Sieg is now, as he's probably grown impatient of waiting for us.

"Hello Sieg. We have returned to deliver our report."

Provengreil
2013-03-21, 07:54 AM
I apologize for the significant delay in posting, the trip I'm taking kinda got in my plans and free time.

Sieg is finishing up his day's work, when you walk in and announce yourselves. With a bit of a harried look, he says, "That sounds like you've got something. Please say you've got something, this day's been pretty bad for us. you guys were the missing weapons, right?"

DuSlaanesh
2013-03-21, 12:41 PM
"Yes, and it seems that we have recovered a good number of them if not all of them, and have currently knocked out and bound those involved, though some of them were killed in the struggle."

I'll then describe to Sieg the location of the men, giving him the opportunity to send word out to the guard or whatever he wishes to do so that they may be apprehended as immediately as possible.

We'll also turn over all of the weapons we found.

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-03-21, 04:49 PM
Kenjas shoots Beatrice an annoyed glance then turns his attention to Seig with a more concerned look. "What seems to be the problem?" he asked.

Provengreil
2013-03-21, 07:44 PM
"Several teams returned with failure, and we even lost one in a bar fight gone out of hand. Our team investigating the missing family turned up disturbing finds, it's definitely related to your infernal acquaintance, but were stumped beyond. Our reputation is taking a big hit today, but your successful return should help.

This basement you found the men in, was there anything else in there? the blades you've recovered are good, to be sure, and the information helpful, but if they were an isolated group we cannot collect the larger reward, and you aren't holding half a crate of weaponry."

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-03-21, 08:03 PM
Kenjas frowned at the news. "May I see the report on the family findings?" he asked.

DuSlaanesh
2013-03-22, 12:28 AM
"We encountered the demon again. Apparently it is behind the theft of the weapons. We do not know where the rest of them are, but if I could venture a guess, this is not an isolated group, there may be others armed with the remaining weapons as well, also under the demon's leadership. Rooting them out may not be easy but I would gladly volunteer to do so."

Provengreil
2013-03-22, 06:32 AM
"I'm still writing the report, but there was incredibly minor damage, most of it not even likely from the event in which they disappeared. another pentacle on the ground, this one made with less disgusting ingredients, just sawdust or something.

If you guys want to be tasked to missions relating to this, I grant you it is most definitely appropriate. But to send you after him is not something I'd take lightly, so I want a yes from each of you, not just you, Beatrice."

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-03-22, 06:46 AM
Kenjas took a step forward with a clutched hand. "I will purge the heretic with the light of Pelor," he said as his hand began to shine with holy light.

Provengreil
2013-03-22, 07:06 AM
Seriously, please use present tense. We are actively writing the story, not reading one already written. Kenjas takes a step forward. As his hand begins to shine with light.

Provengreil
2013-03-24, 03:30 PM
Assuming direct control of this form.
"Shepherd, I know yoWell, adventure's adventure, and if I can pick up some gold while it goes on, more's the better." Says Ranulf.

Sieghart nods appreciatively. "We'll take the weapons off your hands, and pay you ourselves. It's also a fairly high chance that your reward is higher than what GAA will actually be paying us.

I've looked at your current rate of successes, and while your missions have been small so far you've probably gotten wound in something big, so it's best to prepare you. Tann agrees as well. Each of you is authorized a 1000 gp marker for the magical gear locker. You may rent any gear up to that cost.

Tomorrow, you'll receive some basic travel gear, except you, Beatrice, as you carry your own. You'll be bound for the site of an old castle, where a demonic invasion was once started. If there's anywhere accessible that soem knowledge of Demons and devils is easily accessible, it'll be there. Be prepared to do some cleaning first.

Now go select your gear, and prepare yourselves for the journey. I have a sixth sense of these things, and this is going to get a lot worse a lot fasster than you might think."

DM NOTE:The gear locker contains various nonconsumable items of magical nature. rather than list everything within, just ask about any specific items and I'll OK them or tell you to find something else. feel free to ask about suggestions as well. even though they're technically a bit more than 1K, any magical non exotic weapon can be found (just +1 weaponry, of course.) Finally, this gear cannot be sold off, nor can the change from the markers be exchanged for real gold or any consumable magic. Put these notes in your inventory: any time you're back at base, you can exchange your gear for anything else worth up to that much instead.

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-03-24, 07:11 PM
Kenjas nods and heads to the locker. After much rummaging, he finds something that catches his eye. "Ah, the light of Pelor shines through this," he exclaims as he pulls a small box affixed with a leather cord from a shelf. He stares at it for a moment and ties it around his head with the box on his forehead. He nods with approval and hides the box behind a tuff of hair. "I bid you good night," he says to his companions and heads off to his quarters.

DuSlaanesh
2013-03-24, 08:02 PM
I'll go and take a +1 Longsword from the Magical Weapons Locker.

"I'll keep my father's blade, but for the moment this will be far more useful."

Then I shall retire and rest myself.

lothbrok
2013-03-25, 10:14 PM
i'm just gonna grab a +1 scimitar then.

Provengreil
2013-03-26, 04:51 PM
After arming yourselves, you eat a quick meal and head to an early bedtime, anticipating a long day.

IN the morning you wake to much more activity than usual, as most of the company is still around. You pack your things, grab the camping supplies, and move outside, where not Sieg, but Commander Tann is waiting for you with 4 horses, 3 with standard riding gear and one with lockable chests strapped on.. He speaks in a slow, deep voice.

"There you are, right on time. A bit early, in fact, good on you.

You're headed a full 3 day's hard riding west. That'll take you through the farmlands, to the old castle. It's a complete ruin, but the basement levels should be mostly intact. Expect to have to clear out some critters that have taken up residence, that keep's been untouched for nigh a century save the odd looter. Rumor has it they never come out, but that's...Well, let's just say that we aren't the kind of people who would likely have heard about it if someone DID get in and out with something.

Now, I'm not much for old stories, and few in this company are. But the story goes that a small war was once fought there, and the defenders were winning. Some madman thought he could curry favor in the hells by selling out the keep, and so somehow summoned a bunch of devils or demons or whatnot, I dunno the difference. They wrecked the keep from the inside out, but the old attackers just went at their new foe with equal force, and managed to drive them back. Then, uh....something, I dunno.

Point is, the summoner was within the keep, and no one's dared do an organized search since, but the parallels to our situation are undeniable. That monster is working fast and hard to gain power, and it's gonna get worse before it gets better. Be fast, but more importantly be thorough.

Your goals are three:
1. The castle was said to have harbored one or more mages, meaning there should be a lab or library of some form. Search it for devil-related books.
2. Look for signs of recent intrusion. If someone else got to these secrets, there may be markings and it'll be good to know.
3. Keep an eye out for remaining gear of worth. The rumors say nothing's been removed, but even if they're wrong, something worth recovering may be lying around.

Questions?"

lothbrok
2013-03-26, 05:16 PM
"nope, you were good and thorough capt'n."

i'm good to go

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-03-26, 06:36 PM
Kenjas ups himself up and sits down in the saddle. "Is there any trouble to be expected getting to the castle? Such as bandits, beasties, and the like?" he asks.

Provengreil
2013-03-26, 06:46 PM
"It's been a century. If nothing's made a home in that castle, you'll have to contend with whatever ghostly entity is keeping them out. Your best bet for a lack of combat is to make friends with whatever's set up shop, if that's possible."

lothbrok
2013-03-26, 11:13 PM
"friends? well thats hardly sporting."

DuSlaanesh
2013-03-27, 01:13 AM
Smiling, "No questions from me. We'll do our best, Commander Tann, as always."

Provengreil
2013-03-27, 05:54 PM
Mission assigned he leaves you to your duties. You exit town, feeling refreshed by the greater amount of sunlight and cleaner smelling air, and begin your ride. Three long, boring days pass, and the lands become steadily more wild, though even at its worst there is still something of a road. You encounter none but farmers on the first day, and nothing other than the odd wildlife anywhere else, none of it violent.

By midday on the third day you're traveling through mild forest, and you come upon an area that, despite the years, may once have been a very small village, just a cluster of house foundations and a pair of still standing wall segments. These types of ruins grow a bit more common, until you can see the ruins of the old castle, perched rather nicely on a small hill. It's not as big as you might have thought, only about as big as your embassy. The ruins of one fallen spire lay outside the castle, it's old spiral stairway still standing to a degree. One other shorter, squatter tower appears somewhat intact, but unstable. The stones in the base of the castle are obviously worn even from a distance, but still hold together. You cannot see the gate from where you are, but nothing appears on the walls. It's 5:00, so the sun is still out, but a bit low.

What would you like to do?

lothbrok
2013-03-27, 08:35 PM
i take my horse and do a fll perimeter check of the castle. by which i mean i ride in a circle around it to get a better feel for the whole thing.

i say "well its seems like it might be a touch late fo a full investigation. i say we get a better feel for the place and bunk down for the night and take a proper look in the morning."

DuSlaanesh
2013-03-28, 12:51 AM
"It's not that late, and I always carry quite a few torches with me in any case. Our instructions were to be quick, and we are fully rested and prepared. I'd say we should go in now and get whatever there is to be found while we still can, or, if there's nothing to be found, we can get back to the city in better time."

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-03-28, 06:55 AM
"I say we make camp for tonight and head up in the morning," Kenjas replies. "We can take the whole day clearing out and gathering what we can. Then we can make our way back the day afterwards."

lothbrok
2013-03-28, 11:45 AM
"what he said. if we start now we'll have to stop half way through anyway. besides, and this might be just me now, but personally i dont feel like running into any lingering deamons in the middle of the night."

Provengreil
2013-03-28, 04:29 PM
minor DM note to Lothbrok: I know 40k had you first, but do try to remember that there is no "a" in demons in d&d.

Your brief circle of the castle, on horseback, takes less than a minute. The outer walls are very rough and could probably be scaled, and are about 10 feet tall and still standing. The courtyard is full of rubble where one of the buildings inside collapsed onto itself. The gate is not solid, but instead a bunch of rusted iron bars, bent and misshapen, but closed nonetheless and would stop easy entry though the main door. There are a few small windows, mostly on the squat tower, but no light appears from within, although there still is some daylight so internal light may simply not be apparent yet. You see and hear nothing within.

DuSlaanesh
2013-03-29, 11:07 AM
"Fine then. Let's set up camp."

lothbrok
2013-04-06, 02:51 PM
well then we do that