PDA

View Full Version : Funny VoP house variant

Immabozo
2013-02-12, 08:20 PM
So game mechanics-wise, same as VoP, but my DM change the name and flavor of it (although the pre-requs were changed, too, to the exact opposite alignment, or whatever the pre-requs are) to Vow of Greed. This was created for a kobold who thought he was a dragon, taking Dragon Heritage feats. Instead of donating everything, he hid it away to start his hoard. Cause what self respecting dragon has no hoard?

Eonir
2013-02-12, 10:51 PM
You should keep this going. I could see a Vow of Rape, Vow of Violence, and most importantly, the Vow of Intoxication.

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-12, 11:04 PM
Benefits of role playing related feats should be related to the required role playing. The benefits of being greedy shouldn't be equivalent to the benefits of being excessively generous, just like the benefits of being good are the same as the benefits of being evil.

There were Unspeakable Vows of several flavors introduced in Drow of the Underdark. There should be more, as they were a much better concept than Willing Deformity and some of the similar stuff for evil people (Lichloved comes to mind).

I once customized a neutral Vow of Independence that was similar in mechanic to VoP, but scaled back. The idea wasn't to be endlessly giving and selfless, but to rely only on yourself and your own skills (and spellcasting), to not be handicapped by reliance on items and such. They got less bonus feats, though from a much expanded list (and the feats weren't exalted, so no AMF fears), and had the ability to use stuff they produced themselves with fairly spartan set of skills (can make Simple Weapons out of basic materials with Craft skill, bows and such as well). Through a survivalist mentality and spartan lifestyle, one becomes tougher, more able, and gains tangible benefits.

Immabozo
2013-02-13, 02:28 PM
Benefits of role playing related feats should be related to the required role playing. The benefits of being greedy shouldn't be equivalent to the benefits of being excessively generous, just like the benefits of being good are the same as the benefits of being evil.

There were Unspeakable Vows of several flavors introduced in Drow of the Underdark. There should be more, as they were a much better concept than Willing Deformity and some of the similar stuff for evil people (Lichloved comes to mind).

I once customized a neutral Vow of Independence that was similar in mechanic to VoP, but scaled back. The idea wasn't to be endlessly giving and selfless, but to rely only on yourself and your own skills (and spellcasting), to not be handicapped by reliance on items and such. They got less bonus feats, though from a much expanded list (and the feats weren't exalted, so no AMF fears), and had the ability to use stuff they produced themselves with fairly spartan set of skills (can make Simple Weapons out of basic materials with Craft skill, bows and such as well). Through a survivalist mentality and spartan lifestyle, one becomes tougher, more able, and gains tangible benefits.

Is "Drow of the Underdark" the book's name? I'll check it out.

I do see your argument and it is valid, but we were just wanting to play and the idea was funny. Game mechanics-wise, nothing was different, so no potential balancing issues, and we weren't rich in time to design a balance a feat.

Saito Takuji
2013-02-17, 08:00 PM
Is "Drow of the Underdark" the book's name? I'll check it out.

I do see your argument and it is valid, but we were just wanting to play and the idea was funny. Game mechanics-wise, nothing was different, so no potential balancing issues, and we weren't rich in time to design a balance a feat.

so only the name really changed? and the evil feat granted bonus exalted feats? seems legit

Immabozo
2013-02-17, 10:05 PM
so only the name really changed? and the evil feat granted bonus exalted feats? seems legit

I'm sure we could have found an alternate feat list, but yes, nothing about the crunch of the feat was changed.

Saito Takuji
2013-02-17, 10:43 PM
I'm sure we could have found an alternate feat list, but yes, nothing about the crunch of the feat was changed.

would be funny to just leave that part as is, for the lulz as the guy just wants feats for the sake of feats, whether or not he could use them

Immabozo
2013-02-18, 12:34 AM
It was incredibly funny, we all laughed when we heard the feat.

Fates
2013-02-18, 01:42 AM
You should keep this going. I could see a Vow of Rape, Vow of Violence, and most importantly, the Vow of Intoxication.

Vow of disobedience (obedience)? Vow of necrophilia (purity)?

Fun times all around.

Immabozo
2013-02-18, 01:46 AM
Vow of disobedience (obedience)? Vow of necrophilia (purity)?

Fun times all around.

Vow of Sabotage?

Rubik
2013-02-18, 03:13 AM
1. Vow of Prostitution. (Even has the VoP monicker.)
2. Vow of Slavery.
3. Vow of Insanity.
4. Vow of Gluttony.
5. Vow of Poisoned Kool-Aid.
6. Vow of Disgusting Bodily Functions.
7. Vow of Corporate America. (Not to be confused with #1.)

Cespenar
2013-02-18, 04:28 AM
Vow of Ambiguity.

SowZ
2013-02-18, 04:40 AM

Actually, if the Vow of Greed meant you had to store all your possessions and put all your wealth towards keeping your hoard protected, it would be just as mechanically debilitating as VoP. Moreso, really, since the DM has an extra thing to threaten/control you with.

ArcturusV
2013-02-18, 04:53 AM
Could end up like one of those homeless people, risking starvation on the streets who meanwhile carries bags full of hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash.

Rubik
2013-02-18, 04:54 AM
1. Vow of the Weighted Companion Cube.
2. Vow of the Brony. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8er83h9Bbn8) (Now 20% cooler.)
3. Vow of the Twilight series. (EEEEVIL)
4. Vow of My Immortal Fanfiction. (If there's something even MORE EEEEVIL it's this.)
5. Vow of My Immortal Fanfiction Fanfiction. [sic] (Oh gods. Evilception...)

[edit]
Could end up like one of those homeless people, risking starvation on the streets who meanwhile carries bags full of hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash.Funny thing. I worked at a grocery store at one point, and an older homeless lady (who acted less-than-lucid) came in and wandered the store for a bit with a brown paper bag, which she left in the store when she finally left. Another customer turned it in to lost-and-found. Turned out that it had approximately $125,000 in $100 bills.

Sheesh. Too bad I didn't find it. I would've quit that job in a heartbeat.

Immabozo
2013-02-18, 09:20 AM
1. Vow of Prostitution. (Even has the VoP monicker.)
2. Vow of Slavery.
3. Vow of Insanity.
4. Vow of Gluttony.
5. Vow of Poisoned Kool-Aid.
6. Vow of Disgusting Bodily Functions.
7. Vow of Corporate America. (Not to be confused with #1.)

After the campaign I am running now, my players have made it clear they want to play a campaign where the whole purpose and idea is just straight sillyness and everything is for ****s and giggles. I might have to use these vows!

For this game, I am making a homebrew class at a players constant in-game joking about, that is in every way the wizard, except instead of knowledges, he takes craft feats, instead of casting spells, he creates items that create that effect.

He is looking forward to reverse pick pocketing mechanical fireballs into people's pockets and then standing back while he detonates them and watches a town square explode in fire.

I might require one of these Vows as your first level feat.

Actually, if the Vow of Greed meant you had to store all your possessions and put all your wealth towards keeping your hoard protected, it would be just as mechanically debilitating as VoP. Moreso, really, since the DM has an extra thing to threaten/control you with.

haha, very much so!

Seer_of_Heart
2013-02-18, 10:19 AM
After the campaign I am running now, my players have made it clear they want to play a campaign where the whole purpose and idea is just straight sillyness and everything is for ****s and giggles. I might have to use these vows!

For this game, I am making a homebrew class at a players constant in-game joking about, that is in every way the wizard, except instead of knowledges, he takes craft feats, instead of casting spells, he creates items that create that effect.

He is looking forward to reverse pick pocketing mechanical fireballs into people's pockets and then standing back while he detonates them and watches a town square explode in fire.

I might require one of these Vows as your first level feat.

haha, very much so!
If you have access to the eberon books there is a class called the artificer that is pretty much exactly what you describe for the wizard.

Shining Wrath
2013-02-18, 10:29 AM
Far too many PC's have taken the opposite of the Vow of Silence, the Vow of Mindless Chatter.

Immabozo
2013-02-18, 02:44 PM
If you have access to the eberon books there is a class called the artificer that is pretty much exactly what you describe for the wizard.

I'll check it out, thank you

GreenSerpent
2013-02-18, 02:55 PM
1. Vow of the Weighted Companion Cube.
2. Vow of the Brony. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8er83h9Bbn8) (Now 20% cooler.)
3. Vow of the Twilight series. (EEEEVIL)
4. Vow of My Immortal Fanfiction. (If there's something even MORE EEEEVIL it's this.)
5. Vow of My Immortal Fanfiction Fanfiction. [sic] (Oh gods. Evilception...)

Vow of Naruto Veangence Revilations (please note the fic is several times worse than MI).

Chilingsworth
2013-02-18, 02:55 PM
Far too many PC's have taken the opposite of the Vow of Silence, the Vow of Mindless Chatter.

So... kinda like this? (http://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/index.php/Chattering_Order_of_St._Beryl) :smallamused:

Slipperychicken
2013-02-18, 08:18 PM
1. Vow of Ignorance.
2. Vow of Pathological Lying.
3. Vow of Laziness.
4. Vow of Heresy (must never act in accordance with any religion).
5. Vow of Kleptomania.
6. Vow of Mustache-Twirling.

Immabozo
2013-02-18, 08:40 PM
Vow of Cannibalism
Vow of Ignorance
Vow of Anger
Vow of Religious Destruction
Vow of Natural Destruction
Vow of Power
Vow of Maniacal Assault
Vow of Destructive Behanvior