PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a useful 1st level sorcerer spell

Spuddles
2013-02-12, 08:34 PM
Level 5 pf sorcerer (serpentine bloodline)/sandshaper 1 with greater rite of the dragon.

1st level spells are:
Charm person
Mage armor
Disguise self
Hail of stone
Hypnotism
Benign transposition
Magic Missile
Unseen Servant
Acidic Curse (fort vs blind, small amount of acid damage)
Power Word: Pain
Flame Hands (use to recharge staff of fire)
Grease
Aching Dread (aoe fear)
Bear's endurance
Bull's str
Cat's grace
Endure elements
Speak with animals
Summon desert ally 1
Parching touch

This level I get to trade a 1st level spell out, and it's gonna be parching touch. What should I replace it with? All 3.5, save PF "errata" is available.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-02-12, 10:06 PM
Level 5 pf sorcerer (serpentine bloodline)/sandshaper 1 with greater rite of the dragon.

1st level spells are:
Charm person
Mage armor
Disguise self
Hail of stone
Hypnotism
Benign transposition
Magic Missile
Unseen Servant
Acidic Curse (fort vs blind, small amount of acid damage)
Power Word: Pain
Flame Hands (use to recharge staff of fire)
Grease
Aching Dread (aoe fear)
Bear's endurance
Bull's str
Cat's grace
Endure elements
Speak with animals
Summon desert ally 1
Parching touch

This level I get to trade a 1st level spell out, and it's gonna be parching touch. What should I replace it with? All 3.5, save PF "errata" is available.

(emphasis mine)

How did you get so many 1st-level spells, including apparently some 2nd-level ones?

As for new ones... Color Spray? Shield? There aren't many you don't have.

Spuddles
2013-02-13, 12:27 AM
Sandshaper is the answer to most of your questions; some pathfinder rules and the cerebrosis feat gets me the rest of the spells.

I have plenty of offensive options, though my defenses are a little skinny. I am looking for some good utility stuff, potentially obscure.

Magikeeper
2013-02-13, 12:31 AM
Silent Image is awesome. Nerveskitter is great as well.

Edit: Wall of Smoke is nice too, but I think the above two are superior.

Spuddles
2013-02-13, 12:35 AM
Terrific suggestions- but I am picking up nerveskitter as an SLA and major image as a 3rd level spell. I love nerveskitter, though.

I should also mention we found a staff of fireball (pathfinder variety- can recharge by putting spell slots back in it), so aoe blasting/mool clean up is well covered.

Agincourt
2013-02-13, 12:35 AM
I second the recommendation for Nerveskitter. It never hurts to go first in initiative.

Shield could really come in handy if you meet other arcane spellcasters with access to Magic Missile.

True Strike could be useful if you ever plan on making use of ray spells and especially if you plan on casting Arcane Fusion at some point.

Magikeeper
2013-02-13, 12:39 AM
Hmm... maybe one of the following:

True Casting
Karmic Retribution
Expeditious Retreat (Swift)
Blockade
Hoard Gullet
True Strike
Mage Hand, Greater

Spuddles
2013-02-15, 12:50 AM
True Casting & Hoard Gullet seem really good. Hoard Gullet really fits the flavor. Blockade also strikes me as quite useful.