PDA

View Full Version : Casting Every Spell

Poliochi
2013-02-12, 08:51 PM
So, I've been thinking, I really want to be able to cast every spell. And, despite myself, I really want to accomplish this by a Wizard/Archivist multiclass. Now, ignoring a number of better ways to go about this (selective readings of Rainbow Servant, Archivist taking every domain spell, etc, etc), how can I accomplish this while remaining competitive? Optimization is expected, to a moderate degree, so early-entry nonsense is to be expected. I wouldn't mind switching it up from Wizard/Archivist to some other combination, but the goal of this is to be able to cast every single spell, with minimal caster level loss.

The group is going to have..
...Wizard/Warlock/Eldritch Theurge getting early entry at Wizard1/Warlock4 via Precocious Apprentice (nevermind casting 2nd level spells)...
...an Artificer/Effigy Master (houserule that infusion..er.. level will qualify for spellcasting level)...
...and a trapfinder of unknown nature (possibly a cleric trapfinder).

Carth
2013-02-12, 09:02 PM
Thanks to miracle, you're able to easily hit all level 7 and lower arcane spells that you won't get as a wizard. This leaves only level 8 and 9 wu jen spells, and the most convenient way to access them would probably be a couple custom runestaves.

Poliochi
2013-02-12, 09:19 PM
We're starting play at low levels, so 17th level is a very far way away. I was hoping to be able to cast those spells *without* emulating them by miracle, and I also love having a kajillion spell slots to work with.

Vaz
2013-02-12, 09:30 PM
Wu Jen 3/Archivist 3/Geomancer 10/Incantatrix 3/Archmage 1

Take Ocular Spell, Persistent Spell (Wu Jen and Incantatrix Bonus feats), and Iron Will through the Otyugh Hole. This gives you 7 Feat Slots not including Flaws. Choose to your heart's content.

Archivist knows all Divine Caster spells, and can write them in his books, regardless of ability to cast them (outside of spellslots)

Wu Jen can learn of of their spells, and write them in their books, and prepare them regardless of ability to cast them. As you've advanced Wu Jen casting to 17 here, you get

Geomancer allows you to interchange Spellcasting Parameters at the Time of Casting; Spell list is a Parameter, if Parameter is defined as the following; Quote; Dictionary.com; A factor that determines a range of variations; a boundary; then Geomancer allows you manipulate a Divine Spell of any list into an Arcane Spell of the Wu Jen list.

Sorcerer/Wizard spells and Bard spells are allowed onto the Divine Caster list through the use of the 3.0 Hexer class, IIRC, and Divine Bard respectively.

Archmage 1 at ECL 20 takes Miracle as a 2/day SLA, this allows any spell or power free of charge of 7th or lower, or any cleric of 8th or lower free of charge.

Wu Jen can cast Body Outside Body; she persists it. Ramp up Caster Level as high as possible to get as many clones as possible. Each of these clones can cast Miracle; a BOB is a 7th level spell, they can do the same again, and still have 1 more miracle left to buff you.

Essentially, you only need to cast up your none-Cleric 8th spells and have them persisted, as well as your 9ths. As you're only a Wu Jen 17 Equivalent, you need to increase this Spell-per-day to 44+; easily achievable with items and persistent spells. The best way I've found is to be an Outsider (LA0 preferably, but if LA Buy off is allowed, knock yourself out if you can make it LA0); Neraph is my favourite. PAO yourself into a Pit Fiend. Although you don't get the SLA's or Su's of the Pit Fiend, you're still pretty awesome in combat; Giant Size (Wu Jen 7) and Bite of the Werebear (Druid 7?), that's 85 Strength off the bat. I worked out a few posts ago exactly how many temporary hit points you can get; over 700 I got, so your Initial HP total of 100 or so actually becomes 800 or so. And all for free; your clones cast it on you; although you do take the shape of a Dragon, using the new polymorph subschool; might want to PAO into a Pit Fiend after that.

Problem is spell-per-day limitations; there's a mana point equivalent in UA that rarely sees you, but recasting abilities such as a Pearl of Power work wonders.

Jack_Simth
2013-02-12, 09:32 PM
We're starting play at low levels, so 17th level is a very far way away. I was hoping to be able to cast those spells *without* emulating them by miracle, and I also love having a kajillion spell slots to work with.

Pure Archivist can do it, although it's expensive in time, GP, and XP. Helps if you have an Warlock cohort from Leadership (Artificer can do it better, but using a T3 class has more style), although it's not strictly necessary to have one.

How it works:
1) First, you gain Scribe Scroll as a bonus feat from Archivist.
2) You look at the Scroll Rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/scrolls.htm), and note the section that says "The type of scroll a character creates is also determined by his or her class" - which, among other things, means that any scroll you (as an Archivist) create is inherently a Divine Scroll.
3) You look at the Magic Item Basics (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm) section, specifically a gem under Prerequisities:
It is possible for more than one character to cooperate in the creation of an item, with each participant providing one or more of the prerequisites. In some cases, cooperation may even be necessary.

If two or more characters cooperate to create an item, they must agree among themselves who will be considered the creator for the purpose of determinations where the creator’s level must be known. The character designated as the creator pays the XP required to make the item.
4) You find someone who has the spell you want (doesn't matter if it's Arcane or Divine or what) who is willing to cooperate with you on making a scroll of the spell you want (this is where the Warlock or Artificer cohort comes in handy; they can both substitute UMD checks for spell requirements).
5) Make a scroll of the spell you want with them; you choose to be the creator.
6) Realize that you as you are the creator, the scroll is Divine in nature.
7) Realize that you can scribe a scroll of any divine spell into your prayerbook.
8) Combine 6 and 7 to get any arbitrary spell into your prayerbook.

Note that you can start doing this from first level - you just have to find someone to cooperate with you on the creation of the scroll you currently want.

nedz
2013-02-12, 09:37 PM
Cleric with the Spell Domain (Spell Compendium 280) gets you Anyspell, Anyspell, Greater and Limited Wish amongst others.

Silva Stormrage
2013-02-12, 11:34 PM
Spell to Power Erudite Theurege with Archivist, not sure if you can get all arcane spells with that of 9th level though. You can get psionics, divine and arcane spells though. If you can homebrew a feat that lets you count psionic powers as being 1 level higher (Essentially heighten power) you could get 9th arcane spells easily.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-02-13, 12:15 AM
Pure Archivist can do it, although it's expensive in time, GP, and XP. Helps if you have an Warlock cohort from Leadership (Artificer can do it better, but using a T3 class has more style), although it's not strictly necessary to have one.

How it works:
1) First, you gain Scribe Scroll as a bonus feat from Archivist.
2) You look at the Scroll Rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/scrolls.htm), and note the section that says "The type of scroll a character creates is also determined by his or her class" - which, among other things, means that any scroll you (as an Archivist) create is inherently a Divine Scroll.
3) You look at the Magic Item Basics (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm) section, specifically a gem under Prerequisities:
4) You find someone who has the spell you want (doesn't matter if it's Arcane or Divine or what) who is willing to cooperate with you on making a scroll of the spell you want (this is where the Warlock or Artificer cohort comes in handy; they can both substitute UMD checks for spell requirements).
5) Make a scroll of the spell you want with them; you choose to be the creator.
6) Realize that you as you are the creator, the scroll is Divine in nature.
7) Realize that you can scribe a scroll of any divine spell into your prayerbook.
8) Combine 6 and 7 to get any arbitrary spell into your prayerbook.

Note that you can start doing this from first level - you just have to find someone to cooperate with you on the creation of the scroll you currently want.

Unfortunately, scribe scroll only lets you scribe spells that you know; "you" refering to the scroll's creator.

See PHB page 99
You can create a scroll of any spell that you know. and DMG page 287
The creator must have prepared the spell to be scribed (or must know the spell, in the case of a bard or sorcerer) and must provide material component or focus the spell requires.

If you don't know the spell and/or don't have it prepared then you can't be the creator of the scroll. You can provide use of the feat to another character and designate him the creator but that won't cross the arcane - divine delineation.

Silva Stormrage
2013-02-13, 12:24 AM
Unfortunately, scribe scroll only lets you scribe spells that you know; "you" refering to the scroll's creator.

See PHB page 99 and DMG page 287

If you don't know the spell and/or don't have it prepared then you can't be the creator of the scroll. You can provide use of the feat to another character and designate him the creator but that won't cross the arcane - divine delineation.

No actually he is correct, the ally who knows the spell can count as the creator of the scroll for the purposes of that item.

Side note of most DM's would rule that if the other caster who donates a spell is arcane the scroll is also arcane regardless of if the archivist paid the gp and xp for the scroll.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-02-13, 12:34 AM
No actually he is correct, the ally who knows the spell can count as the creator of the scroll for the purposes of that item.

Side note of most DM's would rule that if the other caster who donates a spell is arcane the scroll is also arcane regardless of if the archivist paid the gp and xp for the scroll.

By designating him the creator you shuffle the XP cost onto him and make the scroll arcane or divine based on -his- casting ability, not your own. He's got all the parts, you're just providing the blue-prints for him to build something.

Silva Stormrage
2013-02-13, 12:49 AM
By designating him the creator you shuffle the XP cost onto him and make the scroll arcane or divine based on -his- casting ability, not your own. He's got all the parts, you're just providing the blue-prints for him to build something.

No, you can pick and choose which prerequistes each individual contributes to the item. You can have three people work on a magic item each designing a certain part of the item and the costs can be distributed however they want. The only questionable part is that if you designate the divine caster as the "main creator" does the spell automatically count as divine? Even if an arcane spellcaster casts the spell for the item? I would rule that it counts as arcane.

Poliochi
2013-02-13, 12:55 AM
I do like Vaz's build, though I don't think my DM would rule that a spell-like ability derived directly from my spellcasting capacity counts as a spell for effects like BoB. Still, it does what I'm looking for, pretty well. I feel like Silva is right about the outcome of trying that "make everything a divine scroll" cheese. Tragically psionics are not allowed (my DM doesn't understand them :/), or I would go StP Erudite Theurge, but tragically that's not an option. The Spell Domain is quality, but I don't like being limited to one per day per level where I have one of those spells prepared. My ideal would be a theurge build, but that Wu Jen/Archivist/Geomancer is quality.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-02-13, 12:55 AM
No, you can pick and choose which prerequistes each individual contributes to the item. You can have three people work on a magic item each designing a certain part of the item and the costs can be distributed however they want. The only questionable part is that if you designate the divine caster as the "main creator" does the spell automatically count as divine? Even if an arcane spellcaster casts the spell for the item? I would rule that it counts as arcane.

Yes, you can have a dozen characters contribute prerequisites to a single item (though more than two for a scroll seems dubious with the only prerequisites being the spell to scribe and scribe scroll) however only one of those characters can be designated as the actual creator of the item. DMG 238
(The type of scroll a character creates is determined by his or her class.If a sorcerer is designated as the scroll's creator then he creates an arcane scroll every time. That the scribe scroll feat was provided by a divine caster is irrelevant.

Silva Stormrage
2013-02-13, 01:14 AM
Yes, you can have a dozen characters contribute prerequisites to a single item (though more than two for a scroll seems dubious with the only prerequisites being the spell to scribe and scribe scroll) however only one of those characters can be designated as the actual creator of the item. DMG 238 If a sorcerer is designated as the scroll's creator then he creates an arcane scroll every time. That the scribe scroll feat was provided by a divine caster is irrelevant.

Ya but in this case its not a RAW theoretical build. It is a build that needs to gets approved at a table. I don't think he could pull this off since its clearly abusing RAW heavily.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-02-13, 01:20 AM
Ya but in this case its not a RAW theoretical build. It is a build that needs to gets approved at a table. I don't think he could pull this off since its clearly abusing RAW heavily.

It's not really an abuse. The actual rules completely shut down the idea of a sorcerer providing a spell for an archivist to make a divine version of a sorcerer spell and an archivist helping his sorcerer friend scribe a scroll that archivist can't use doesn't seem particularly troublesome.

Pickford
2013-02-13, 01:34 AM
So, I've been thinking, I really want to be able to cast every spell. And, despite myself, I really want to accomplish this by a Wizard/Archivist multiclass. Now, ignoring a number of better ways to go about this (selective readings of Rainbow Servant, Archivist taking every domain spell, etc, etc), how can I accomplish this while remaining competitive? Optimization is expected, to a moderate degree, so early-entry nonsense is to be expected. I wouldn't mind switching it up from Wizard/Archivist to some other combination, but the goal of this is to be able to cast every single spell, with minimal caster level loss.

The group is going to have..
...Wizard/Warlock/Eldritch Theurge getting early entry at Wizard1/Warlock4 via Precocious Apprentice (nevermind casting 2nd level spells)...
...an Artificer/Effigy Master (houserule that infusion..er.. level will qualify for spellcasting level)...
...and a trapfinder of unknown nature (possibly a cleric trapfinder).

Assuming you have to memorize spells...have you considered how many books you will need to purchase/carry?

Kelb_Panthera
2013-02-13, 01:43 AM
You can get every spell printed into approximately 5 boccob's blessed books.

The bigger stumbling block is time. It takes a minimum of 2 days per spell to add spells to your book; 1 day to study the spell and see if you can understand it, 1 day to actually scribe it in your book. With around 1800 spells out there, that's 3600 days; a touch less than a decade.

TuggyNE
2013-02-13, 02:15 AM
You can get every spell printed into approximately 5 boccob's blessed books.

The bigger stumbling block is time. It takes a minimum of 2 days per spell to add spells to your book; 1 day to study the spell and see if you can understand it, 1 day to actually scribe it in your book. With around 1800 spells out there, that's 3600 days; a touch less than a decade.

The real reason elves make such good wizards: they have time in their lives to scribe spells! :smalltongue:

Vaz
2013-02-13, 04:53 AM
I do like Vaz's build, though I don't think my DM would rule that a spell-like ability derived directly from my spellcasting capacity counts as a spell for effects like BoB.

I'm a little lost here; the only SLA you have is Miracle; which can be used to cast any spell of 7th or lower, or cleric spells of 8th or lower.

It requires you to ban Enchantment though, so that means no Enchants of 8th or above; Dominate and Mind Blank especially. As Body Outside Body specifies no spellcasting, that doesn't stop class features (hence Incantatrix for Cooperative Metamagic), or SLA's (or Psionics; if you go Gestalt and take StP
Erudite you can cast all spells even your BoB clones able to cast all arcane as a Psionic).

I know Psiomics is banned, and this won't go anywhere near making them allowed, but a Wu Jen 3/StP Erudite 2/Cerebromancer 10/Full Caster 1/Incantatrix 3/Archmage 1, you can cast every arcane spell in existence, use StP Erudite to manifest Body Outside Body (I think I worked out in a few threads back, it can manifest BOB 16 times in a day. Persist them, and recover the Power Poonts, and cast it again; so 4 castings of BOB, and 16 Manifestations, you are looking at around 160 clones (this is without those clones each manifesting a further 8 each over the 24 hour period). You can use Miracle to make a 25k item. Over 24 hours, each can cast it 4 times. This is 100k each clone, or 16million gp. And that is just from the primary source; it doesn't include all the clones made by the psionics of the clones; if each is casting 3 clones 16 times a day, over a 24 hour period (so that you have twice the opportunity), that is 96x180 for the number of second generation clones, third generation is that number; x96, etc, etc. When you reach your desired number, then proceed to make a horde and arbitrarily give yourself 100k per clone. The thing is, even though the clones have less and less hp at each casting of BoB in the chain, they can continue to clone themsleves for ever and ever.

Ballini
2013-02-13, 05:38 AM
Well i once Player an Mystic Theurge with the Spell and Magic Domains...
Starting with the Precocious Apprentice Feat from Complete Arcane (108), you are actually just one spell level behind on your Cleric list...

But there is another fun guy i can recomment.
The Chameleon from the Races of Destiny (page 111.) you could also look him up on the Wizards of the coast side, they preview him there.

Pros:
He can cast any spell from any class or list.
He gets an ability bonus hence making him even more potent at casting spells.
His Casterlevel is double his Chameleon level, so starting the class at level 6 would make you a level 20 Caster at level 15...

Cons:
- His casterlevel does not Stack with the caster levels from other classes.
- Until level 5 you have to choose between arcane and divine spells.
- He only gets you spells from 0-6
- He gets less spells per day, than other Spellcasters

But even with the limitations of only beeing able to cast level 6 Spells, its still one of the most broken classes ever printed.
Like seriously... you get a bonus feat, that you can change every day...
so what kind of metamagic do i need today?
Or maybe i should pick an item-creation-feat?

That guy is all about preparation, give him an hour and he is good, but give him a few days and he can face anything.

But that brings us back to the problem with the whole: no level 7-9 spells

But the chameleon has the very nice ability to lend us a feat of our choice,
so what we do is, we pick Leadership get us a nice Warlock level 12 and let him do all the dirty scroll creation.

Since we are in fact level 20 Casters, we can easily use these scrolls.

Now if you want to get really powergamig, let your lent Leadership, cohort waste all his XP on Whishes and Miracles and enjoy the show, while you still have full XP...
Hell, why not wish for more XP, while your at it?

(Not DM in his right mind would you let through with this, hence not letting you find any Warlocks to turn into Cohorts)

hydraa
2013-02-13, 03:41 PM
Spellthief should allow to be able to cast any spell (non psionic) as long as you can find a source of that spell
(cohorts, followers, hired npcs)

reach out and touch your mobile spell receptacle and cast your spell.