PDA

View Full Version : Help! I made this recurring villian without making a villiian - Needs stats n stuff

ddude987
2013-02-12, 09:14 PM
Hello friends (and possibly foes) alike,

So I ended up getting myself into a bit of a mess. I am DMing my first serious campaign and well err I threw in a villian (which was planned on) but only very loosely and I didn't think of anything past a concept. So far he has appeared once, though how it was DMd it was more like twice which I'll get to. The only spell that was obvious he used was a spell that grants flight. Also he is a, or one of the, leader(s) of a cult worshipping a Dracolich that challenged the gods and was locked away in a tiny demi plane blah blah blah...
The "second" appearence was after the players started and then finished a dungeon directly after meeting him. The completion of the dungeon was on the fact that they woke up face down in graves filling with water from the heavy rain and mud. He was still flying etc etc and flew away. I have absolutely no idea how he could have made the players think they were in a dream long enough to kill them (it was a dream like the ones in the movie inception) and I DID have the players make WILL saves DC 20. Nobody made it.
What I really need help on is statting him out. I've never played or even really looked into Clerics. I know that FLY could have been gotten from ANYSPELL which he could have researched or taken the spell domain. Also I have no idea how he could have done the dream spell. In addition, I had decided that he was level 10 on the spot and I have no idea what he should really be.
Any and all help would be excellent! I will provide more details if people ask for them, I can't think of to many right now. Thanks!!!

Dissonance
2013-02-13, 12:04 AM
well cleric does gain Symbol of sleep as a 5th level spell. Well in the realm of available stuff for your lv 10 cleric. Just say that if they were near waking the cleric fired off another symbol which promptly activated. Also say that the baddie rolled 3 6s each time. In other words the symbol firing off would mean 3 hours of sleep for the hapless PCs. Your cleric should be at least able to do this 3 times. So at least 9 hours of sleep is accounted for right there. This is before you get into some optimizing tricks that could potentially let him do it 7 times in a day. (which he could then set up to fire individually over the next 8 hours allowing him an extended rest and the ability to do it all over again)

As for statting him out. Your going to want a great cha score. It is not only his spell source but also half the reason he can get by as the leader of the cult. Since he doesn't seem like the one to engage the PC's directly, avoid any clericzilla builds that float around the here. Go for a more support and minionmancy style for him. If he is level 10 he has access to 40 HD worth of undead though animate dead. abuse that. You can add the zombie template to a lot of creatures, and since your the DM, you can probably get away with adding other templates to other creatures for this guy to lord over. Also take a lot of sweeping buff, debuff, annoying spells so he can affect the entire battle. Also deck him out in a lot of resistive and armor gear of course, don't want him to die too fast now ;)

Zanthy1
2013-02-13, 12:13 AM
As for statting him out. Your going to want a great cha score. It is not only his spell source but also half the reason he can get by as the leader of the cult. Since he doesn't seem like the one to engage the PC's directly, avoid any clericzilla builds that float around the here. Go for a more support and minionmancy style for him. If he is level 10 he has access to 40 HD worth of undead though animate dead. abuse that. You can add the zombie template to a lot of creatures, and since your the DM, you can probably get away with adding other templates to other creatures for this guy to lord over. Also take a lot of sweeping buff, debuff, annoying spells so he can affect the entire battle. Also deck him out in a lot of resistive and armor gear of course, don't want him to die too fast now ;)

I agree with the above statement. It is sort of funny, for a campaign I am writing this sounds almost exactly like my BBEG. He is the head of a new religion that worships a Dracolich god. Cleric focusing on the undead minionmancy thing. He has a few other aspects floating around for him, but generally similar idea. I also really like the Dream idea, could be sort of like the nightmare spell? Maybe combined with phantasmal killer? As DM, you can have him do whatever you want technically, however it is good to have actual books to back you up lol

ddude987
2013-02-13, 01:57 PM
well cleric does gain Symbol of sleep as a 5th level spell. Well in the realm of available stuff for your lv 10 cleric. Just say that if they were near waking the cleric fired off another symbol which promptly activated. Also say that the baddie rolled 3 6s each time. In other words the symbol firing off would mean 3 hours of sleep for the hapless PCs. Your cleric should be at least able to do this 3 times. So at least 9 hours of sleep is accounted for right there. This is before you get into some optimizing tricks that could potentially let him do it 7 times in a day. (which he could then set up to fire individually over the next 8 hours allowing him an extended rest and the ability to do it all over again)

Thanks so much! This was a lot of good input. Any recommendation on the pb I should use? The players are on 42pb.