PDA

View Full Version : Making a pair of Legacy Weapons that are good?

Amoren
2013-02-13, 10:03 AM
I briefly wonder if anyone from the game I'm exploring this concept will find this, but hey, its not like I really care (Hai DM, I swear I'm not breaking the game, just exploring options. Honest!)

Alright, so, brief backstory. I'm playing in a game where the character has a connection to a pair of daggers from his past that he's trying to reclaim... Well, might be past, might be family. Its a bit complicated by the religion/beliefs of his race, but anyway. The DM thought that exploring the idea of making them legacy weapons would be interesting, and has given me a somewhat free reign to build them (The similar Ancestral Weapon feat has a few problems, such as needing two for both items, and him being neutral aligned rather than good.)

Now, moving on to crunch. The character is a sort of ultimate sneaky knife fighter, and the two daggers are connected to the Plane of Shadow as they're made from the fangs of a slain shadow Dragon. The daggers are also meant to be paired with a user that has a custom Shadow Dragon bloodline (tied into the character's background, which is tied towards the creation of these weapons). The main thing the bloodline grants is Shadow Meld (Su), so things that make the wielder invisible or able to hide in plain sight is a bit redundant.

What I've got figured out so far is using Table 4-3 for one (-3 Skills, -20 HP) and the penalties of the Umbral Awn for the other (-2 Attack, -4 Fortitude, -12 HP) to try and spread out the penalties and not make them too harsh in one category (-32 HP is pretty harsh, but fortunately HP is more plentiful in this game since we have max Hit Dice).

For bonuses, the current build I'm tinkering with will get up to +8 Enhancement (+7 plus 1 for the Completed Set ripped from the pair of kukris in the WoL book), +5/7 to Hide and Move Silently, Called (because the flavor of the weapons fading into shadow and reappearing was awesome - that and never be without your weapon), +4 to Attack/Damage with Sneak Attacks, and finally one has Mind Blank. There's still one least slot free on each dagger, and the one that doesn't have Mind Blank has two slots free. The Weapon Enhancements I so far have planned to spend on making them +4 Enervating Transmuting Daggers (Enervating to call back to the Shadow Dragon with its negative level breath weapon, Transmuting because DR is a pain).

So, does anyone else have any other ideas that might work out a bit better (besides don't use weapons of legacy, this is primarily to explore the concept and see if it can be done well), or things that might plug the spare slots or better special abilities to use for a sneak attack stealthy knife fighter?

A_S
2013-02-13, 01:24 PM
Granting some x/day uses of Shadow Hand maneuvers sounds like a surefire hit. Maybe a stance (Child of Shadow, maybe) that you can always be in. And maybe some dragon-themed abilities (Wings of Cover, Wings of Flurry, etc.).

Aharon
2013-02-13, 01:32 PM
If you play by WBL and/or have a caster in the group, making them +1 enervating and getting the rest of the bonus via Greater Magic Weapon might be the better choice.

Gildedragon
2013-02-13, 03:55 PM
Using the Deadly precision enchantment on them (+1d6 sneak attack for +1) or the Umbral awn SAdice option may be of use.
Granting some Assassin spells 1/day or a bonus to initiative would be very cool too.

Omen wise: they are durounded by a nimbus of roiling shadows; giving it a +2 to feint attempts