PDA

View Full Version : Fixing Handle Animal?

Zombimode
2013-02-13, 03:07 PM
The character of one of my players bit the dust last session (surprisingly good-natured intra-party conflict...).
He apparently decided to cheese it up a little bit (mind you: in the context of our low-level E6 campaign) and wants to play a Druid1/Marshal2. Looks rubbish? Well, he plans to use Handle Animal to gain a bunch of critters and pump those with Marshall auras (most certainly Master of Tactics and Motivate Attack).

Yeah, I know that it doesn't work. Marshal auras are language dependent and require Int 3 or more. Animal fail both requirements.
Problem: I've already introduced an NPC Warblade2/Marshal2 using this tactic with a bunch of hunting dogs. I can't take that back, so I have to let this slide. Actually I'm not opposed to the build idea per se. I'm worried about Handle Animal.

So far, my player seems reasonable. He has requested 2 Wolfs from Handle Animal (in addition to his Wolf AC).

But I take this as the opportunity to review the Handle Animal skill and rework it. Especially after reviewing the horror that is Bubs the Commoner, it needs to be addressed.

Any ideas?

At first I think there need to be clear rules on how many animals you can make follow you at the same time.
(RAW: you can rear three animals of the same kind in the same time. There seems to be no limit on how many animals you can "have" at the same time).

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-13, 03:21 PM
So, a realistic approach should have this limit on controlled animals very much depend on the type of animal in question. Here are some ideas.

- Small increase to total number of animals if they are all the same type.
- Small increase to total if they are a social type of animal that is known to move in groups.
- Deduction in total for types of animals not likely to get along, predators and prey animals, or kinds likely to fight for dominance.
- Deduction to total if some of the animals are noted to be hard to handle and train.

I agree that a limit on how many can be handled at a time is good. Animals not following some kind of current order should stop what they are doing and wait for new orders, not a wise thing to do in combat.

Consider play-testing a number slightly more than undead controlled at a single time (see animate dead), or equal to undead controlled. My instinct says that undead are stronger and you could increase it over this amount for animals, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 more. On the other hand, there are many more low HD animals, so this may be too many. Unless the critter is an animal companion, handling should probably take up a standard or full round action if you are using it on a bunch of creatures at once.

Keep in mind that NPCs without many levels still should be capable of doing some things, like a Kennel Master or Master of the Hunt. Maybe make a feat for increasing effective ranks in the skill for purposes of animals controlled at a single time.

Zombimode
2013-02-13, 03:50 PM
Good starting points.

Another idea would be to have a very limited (maybe rank-dependent?) pool of HDs worth of animals that are considered "part of the character". Any animal that exceeds this pool would still follow the character and can be "handled" by the character, but it would count as an additional creature when calculating the effective party level.
So sure, the character can bring a pack of wolves, but only at that costs of diminishing exp rewards.

But I'm not sure on this idea...

Aracor
2013-02-13, 03:52 PM
I guess I'm not understanding how there isn't already a limit. You can handle two animals per turn, because handling an individual animal is a move action. More than that? You'll need to get more actions.

That seems a pretty good limit.

Zombimode
2013-02-13, 04:01 PM
I guess I'm not understanding how there isn't already a limit. You can handle two animals per turn, because handling an individual animal is a move action. More than that? You'll need to get more actions.

That seems a pretty good limit.

I know. Point is: animals are not mindless automatons that need to be given new orders every turn to do anything. If you handle an animal to attack a creature it will do so not just its next turn but also on subsequent turns. Even if not handled at all, it will follow its instinct: defending itself when attacked, defending its "leader", and so on.
You don't have to have lots of move actions in order to have a pack of wolves fight for you.

Darrin
2013-02-13, 08:56 PM
Any ideas?

Do not let your player see Bubs the Commoner (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7097263&postcount=38). Or any Battletitans, obviously.