PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for augmented aberrant Dragonmark powers

GreenSerpent
2013-02-13, 04:27 PM
Greetings!

Summary of my planned game: The Dragonmarked houses have uncovered suspicions of a chamber being built that can augment the power of an aberrant dragonmark gigantically. The PCs are members of these houses being sent to investigate rumors.

In the lore of Eberron it mentions that Aberrant marks used to be far more powerful - a group of them razed Sharn to the ground with earthquakes, insects, and plague (Dragonmarked).

What I'm looking for is ideas for "augmented" Aberrant marks. For example a Cloudkill greater aberrant mark might have the "augmented" form of the ability to generate incredibly strong and poisonous Smoke Elementals.

Any suggestions? I'm using the general guidelines for aberrant marks laid out in Dragonmarked.

EDIT: And small point - this augment applies to lesser and least aberrant marks too. So you could have an augmented Darkness mark.

Gildedragon
2013-02-13, 06:50 PM
rage: mass confusion, war spelled
scare: ?
scorching ray: Flamestrike
sleet storm
suggestion: Dominate Person
summon swarm: a very very large swarm
touch of idiocy:
vampiric touch: Finger of death

Psyren
2013-02-13, 09:32 PM
scare: ?

Functions as Symbol of Fear maybe?

touch of idiocy: ?

Feeblemind is a good pumped up version of this.

Gildedragon
2013-02-14, 12:40 AM
Remaining Lesser Aberrant-Dragonmarks:

Sleet storm: Ice-Age
bestow curse:
contagion:
darkvision: Blidsense
death knell:
false life: Contingent revivify
poison:

Least Aberrant-Dragonmarks:

burning hands
cause fear:
charm person
chill touch:
detect secret doors: Passwall (who needs secret doors when you can make them)
feather fall: Fly
inflict light wounds: Harm
jump: Fly
light:
pass without trace:
produce flame:
shield:
Tenser's floating disk: Dark way

Kol Korran
2013-02-14, 05:49 AM
As these are supposed to be great and new powers, I think it might be cool to flavor theme not strictly on the existing spells, but a bit more interesting. I'm focusing on the greater marks since, well, the effects you describe in from the War of the Mark sounds like they came from such marks. it also gives justice to said power I feel.

a few ideas:
Cloudkil/ slay living=> affects a much wider area (say 100 ft+ 10 ft/ level wide). anyone killed under the effect of the cloudkill rises up as some sort of aberrant undead (specific for this effect) under the command of the caster. (the undead might have a special DR, or a special attack, maybe even a least aberrant dragon mark appearing on them?)

Cone of Cold=> again, a great area is filled with unnatural cold, perhaps even darkness, perhaps even some level drain affects (basically the user is calling on effects of Mabar) allies are exempt, enemies are not.

Confusion/ dominate person => in a fairly large area people are struck by an insanity affect of a sort- they belive some sort of a hallucination/ lie/ fantasy/ dream/ nightmare. these are random, but the wielder of the mark can shape the general them ('"Dragonmarked are evil!", "warforged are demons!", Karrnath is sure to attack soon!") and can get very specific for victim/ level subjects.

Fire shield=> you can shape change into some powerful outsider connected to fire.

Flame strike=> you open a gate to Fernia for a short while (minutes? tens of minutes) from which creatures may come. you do not control them all, maybe 1 or a few?

Mass inflict wounds=> you cause a festering disease in a great area (or maybe everyone struck by you and allies?) that cannot be easily cured by Cure Disease, and rots the flesh rapidly. (hp loss or ability damage every day. need a sufficiently high CL check to cure any such effects)

Gildedragon
2013-02-14, 06:53 AM
As these are supposed to be great and new powers, I think it might be cool to flavor theme not strictly on the existing spells, but a bit more interesting. I'm focusing on the greater marks since, well, the effects you describe in from the War of the Mark sounds like they came from such marks. it also gives justice to said power I feel.

a few ideas:
Cloudkil/ slay living=> affects a much wider area (say 100 ft+ 10 ft/ level wide). anyone killed under the effect of the cloudkill rises up as some sort of aberrant undead (specific for this effect) under the command of the caster. (the undead might have a special DR, or a special attack, maybe even a least aberrant dragon mark appearing on them?)

Cone of Cold=> again, a great area is filled with unnatural cold, perhaps even darkness, perhaps even some level drain affects (basically the user is calling on effects of Mabar) allies are exempt, enemies are not.

Confusion/ dominate person => in a fairly large area people are struck by an insanity affect of a sort- they belive some sort of a hallucination/ lie/ fantasy/ dream/ nightmare. these are random, but the wielder of the mark can shape the general them ('"Dragonmarked are evil!", "warforged are demons!", Karrnath is sure to attack soon!") and can get very specific for victim/ level subjects.

Fire shield=> you can shape change into some powerful outsider connected to fire.

Flame strike=> you open a gate to Fernia for a short while (minutes? tens of minutes) from which creatures may come. you do not control them all, maybe 1 or a few?

Mass inflict wounds=> you cause a festering disease in a great area (or maybe everyone struck by you and allies?) that cannot be easily cured by Cure Disease, and rots the flesh rapidly. (hp loss or ability damage every day. need a sufficiently high CL check to cure any such effects)

Oh these are quite good; with the dominate person: have people in the area revere one as a god perhaps? the dragonmark's ability influencing the effect. (the rage mark produces widespread insanity)
Actually a good place to look for this sort of setting changing abilities may be in the Elder Evils splatbook. The mass inflict wounds ability strikes me as reminiscent of Atropus's omens.

GreenSerpent
2013-02-14, 11:23 AM
*makes several notes* Excellent! Those'll do for a start~

Alienist
2013-02-14, 12:31 PM
If the 'Evil Cultists (r)' have a 'Machine of Doom (tm)' which effects Aberrant Dragonmarks, then some of the things it might do:

(1) Give ordinary people aberrant dragon marks
(2) Add additional dragonmarks to someone who already has dragonmarks
(3) Find a level of dragonmark beyond Greater, similar to the Syberrus (sp?) dragonmarks

For #3 cherry pick a list of high level effects to choose from:

6 Globe of Invulnerability
6 Harm
6 Forceful Hand
6 Blade Barrier
6 Tenser's Transformation
6 Antimagic Field
6 Dispel Magic, Greater
6 Heal
6 Summon Greater Elemental
6 Freezing Sphere
6 Wind Walk

7 Transmute Metal to Wood
7 Shadow Walk
7 Reverse Gravity
7 Regenerate
7 Greater Restoration
7 Spell turning
7 Grasping Hand
7 Ethereal Jaunt
7 Phase Door
7 Insanity
7 Finger of Death
7 Blasphemy/Holy Word
7 Arcane Sight Greater
7 Control Undead

8 Charm Monster Mass
8 Shout, Greater
8 Spell Immunity, greater
8 Incendiary Cloud
8 Fire Storm
8 Whirlwind
8 Protection from Spells
8 Spell resistance
8 Clenched Fist
8 Mindblank
8 Scintillating Pattern
8 Telekinetic Sphere
8 Iron Body
8 Repel Metal or Stone

9 Prismatic Sphere
9 Power Word Kill
9 Reincarnate (self, on death)
9 Astral Projection
9 Freedom
9 Crushing Hand
9 Foresight
9 Storm of Vengeance

For scarier opponents, pick more than one. (E.g. one from each list :D )