PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Sorcerer

Kornaki
2013-02-13, 07:24 PM
I'm hoping to make a dwarf sorcerer for flavor reasons... is there any way to get around the -2 charisma? Like a subrace (I see dream dwarves but they're kind of weird) that will help me out here, or maybe a sorcerer ACF to use intelligence or something?

Morcleon
2013-02-13, 07:27 PM
Check out this list for dwarves. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19546874/Master_Player_Race_List_Version_2.0)

Also, if you want an Int-based sorcerer, you could always ask for the Generic Spellcaster from UA.

Seer_of_Heart
2013-02-13, 07:30 PM
There are racial substitution levels from races of stone for dwarves
the breakdown is

Level 1-pay 100 gold to gain dr1/adamantine and the alertness feat when you are in contact with the ground
-Sacrifice you do not get a familiar

Level 5-As long as both your target and you are on the ground the save DC goes up by 1 and you have a 50% longer range
-Sacrifice you do not get a new second level spell known

Level 9-You can use your Con bonus as well as your charisma bonus to gain bonus spells
-Sacrifice 1 fourth level spell

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-13, 07:33 PM
There was some mitigation of Cha penalty available in Races of Stone. I am thinking of the Dwarven Sorcerer Racial Substitution levels. I think the racial feat for dwarves that related to this didn't cover all uses of Charisma (Moradin's Smile or something like that, seemed to be focused on skill and ability checks).

I think one of the Faerun dwarf subraces don't have a Charisma penalty. Or maybe there was a region feat or something for Gold Dwarves...something about the Thunder Twin Blessing or something. Or maybe I'm getting senile.

Kornaki
2013-02-13, 07:44 PM
Check out this list for dwarves. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19546874/Master_Player_Race_List_Version_2.0)

Also, if you want an Int-based sorcerer, you could always ask for the Generic Spellcaster from UA.

Wow that list is way bigger than the number of dwarves I was able to find. Thanks!

And thanks everyone for the sorcerer tips

Amphetryon
2013-02-13, 08:22 PM
Wow that list is way bigger than the number of dwarves I was able to find. Thanks!

And thanks everyone for the sorcerer tips

There are technically more Dwarven subraces than Elven ones. :durkon:

Andion Isurand
2013-02-13, 08:32 PM
In Dragon Magazine 338 page 97, they have additional sorcerer spells available for Orcs and Dwarves to choose that don't normally appear on the sorcerer list. Might be worth a peek.

Joshinthemosh
2013-02-13, 10:53 PM
You could politely beg the DM to let you play a Pathfinder Sorcerer specifically http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/archetypes/paizo---sorcerer-archetypes/wildblooded/sage of http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/archetypes/paizo---sorcerer-archetypes/wildblooded/empyreal

Sage allows you to cast off Int, Empyreal off Wis.

LTwerewolf
2013-02-13, 11:00 PM
Lost traditions feat. You now cast with con. Or str. Or anything else you want.

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-13, 11:57 PM
Using wisdom as a sorcerer to cast spells could be quite formidable with a gish dwarf using the staff familiar ACF and the feats that go with it. One of them lets you add wisdom damage on attacks with the staff familiar. Can't remember the exact name of this ACF, but it was also from Dragon Magazine.

LTwerewolf
2013-02-14, 12:25 AM
I once made a dwarf wizard/runesmith that casted off his con. At lvl 12 he had around 400 hp. Fun times.

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-14, 12:39 AM
Runesmith is a very cool PrC, great dwarf flavor and some nice utility.

Darrin
2013-02-14, 08:05 AM
Gold Dwarf has no Cha penalty (+2 Con, -2 Dex), and is Core (DMG).

Dream Dwarf (Races of Stone) has the same ability mods, as does Desert Dwarf (Unearthed Arcana/SRD).

ericgrau
2013-02-14, 08:36 AM
I've made sorcerers who used mainly spells that don't have save DCs, purely for reliability not because my charisma wasn't high. Then your cha isn't as critical; you only need it high enough to be able to cast at all.

For that matter it would be good to start picking spells. If you have a lot of ranged touch spells, maybe you don't want a dex penalty. If none of them are, then dex is almost a dump stat.

Leon
2013-02-14, 11:38 AM
Play it as it is. Don't let a minor thing like a stat modifier stop a PC idea.

Norin
2013-02-14, 01:31 PM
Play it as it is. Don't let a minor thing like a stat modifier stop a PC idea.

I agree with this one.

With stat-ups at every 4th lvl you can still reach enough cha to cast 9th arcane spells when you get to lvl 18. Before that happens you will have enough wealth to invest in a nice Cloak of Charisma and a Tome of Leadership and Influence or some other Cha boosters.

eastmabl
2013-02-14, 01:37 PM
Play a regular dwarf. Focus on abjurations, transmutations and conjurations where you don't have to pump your DC to high hell.