PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Pricing uncommon items?

gr8artist
2013-02-13, 07:35 PM
WARNING!
KO, Stephanie, Gruber, Zainen, Grace, and Zajas ... Look no further!

Several points, listed in no particular order.
Staves
I've searched the core rulebook, and can't find any idea on how much a staff costs. To be clear, I'm the DM, and I want to introduce a staff that's not like any of the other ones in the book. My players are still low level, but the staff will have mostly low level utility spells in it.
Anyone know where to find that math?
Broken
If I'm giving a broken item to one of my players, how much should the item's value be reduced? The item can never be repaired. For reference, it will be a greatsword with some kind of sundering bonus on it. (price for combat maneuver bonuses would be handy too.)
Metamagic effects
A bow that fires elemental (MM+1) acid arrows, 4/day, once each for each of the primary elements. (so one acid, one fire, one cold, one shock). I have the chart for spell effects x/day, would I count this one as spell level 2 (acid arrow) or 3 (acid arrow with elemental metamagic)? My first impulse is to go with 3, but since it specifies once for each different element, i'm not sure it's as versatile as the elemental boost would imply.
Pet-only items
Would a belt of giant strength cost a different amount if usable only by animal companions and familiars?

Starbuck_II
2013-02-13, 07:45 PM
Broken
If I'm giving a broken item to one of my players, how much should the item's value be reduced? The item can never be repaired. For reference, it will be a greatsword with some kind of sundering bonus on it. (price for combat maneuver bonuses would be handy too.)

75% of value.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/conditions#TOC-Broken

RFLS
2013-02-13, 07:52 PM
Several points, listed in no particular order.
Staves
I've searched the core rulebook, and can't find any idea on how much a staff costs. To be clear, I'm the DM, and I want to introduce a staff that's not like any of the other ones in the book. My players are still low level, but the staff will have mostly low level utility spells in it.
Anyone know where to find that math?

This should be helpful. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items#TOC-Creating-Staves)

Metamagic effects
A bow that fires elemental (MM+1) acid arrows, 4/day, once each for each of the primary elements. (so one acid, one fire, one cold, one shock). I have the chart for spell effects x/day, would I count this one as spell level 2 (acid arrow) or 3 (acid arrow with elemental metamagic)? My first impulse is to go with 3, but since it specifies once for each different element, i'm not sure it's as versatile as the elemental boost would imply.

You can probably work out the math based on this. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/rods/metamagic-rods) Just compare the prices of different metamagics. I'd do it myself if my brain weren't a flu ridden nyquil town right now.

EDIT: I also wouldn't open the door to adding wondrous item effects to weapons; that leads to all sorts of shenanigans. Instead, I'd call that a +1 enhancement. Of course, it's not great, so it could perhaps use some buff, or be a flat price of 2000.

Pet-only items
Would a belt of giant strength cost a different amount if usable only by animal companions and familiars?

This (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items#TOC-Magic-Item-Gold-Piece-Values)doesn't say it, but that's about as restrictive (almost exactly, in fact) as requiring a specific class, so I would guess a 30% reduction.

gr8artist
2013-02-14, 06:36 AM
Thanks, guys. You both rock.
Next question: If a player lands a crit with a DOT attack like Acid Arrow, does the damage each round get multiplied? I assume the initial damage would, but I'm not sure about damage on subsequent rounds.
Sneak attack would deal the same damage type as the element of the acid arrow effect, though, right?

So far I have these:
Toofpike - a large, broken, +1 adamantine greatsword of sundering (CMB+4 to sunder)
Final stats: -1 to attack rolls, 3d6-1 damage, crits on a 20 for x2 damage, gives +3 to sunder attempts. = 10,500 gp
Sonic Screwdriver - a tiny metal staff, 10 charges, casts the following spells:
Jolt, Open/Close, Jury-rig (1 ch each) / Detect secret doors, Arcane lock, Knock (2 ch each) = 13,000 gp
Fenrir's Collar - a thin, prismatic ribbon, usable only by animal companions.
Gives a +2 enhancement bonus to Strength and Natural armor = 9,800 gp