PDA

View Full Version : Level 6 Water Orc Tripper

Souped
2013-02-13, 08:35 PM
Hello playground,
I'll be playing a one time game this weekend and I desperately need your help to build my character. I know there are a few threads on this subject and I've looked through them. But, I've never used TOB before so I'm quite lost with the maneuvers. I was thinking of a Wolf Barb 2 / Crusader X. Or if TOB makes things complicated, Wolf Barb 2 / Warrior X Here are the DM rules:

Roll 4d6, dropping the lowest, 7 times; discard the lowest score, and assign ability scores as desired. Races and classes may be from any D&D 3.5 sourcebook. You begin at level 6. Your belongings may total up to 13,000 GP; do not spend all your gold on a single item.

I rolled: 18, 16, 15, 13, 13, 11

I'm planning on playing a Water Orc (+4 Str, +2 con, -2 int, -2 wis, -2 Cha)

I want to use Spike chain

I have no clue what magic items to buy

And most importantly, would you be able to describe the actions I should take in every round?

PS: I could be any race, you could suggest something else!

Thank you in advance, any help is greatly appreciated.

Barsoom
2013-02-13, 09:44 PM
For race, consider Goliath (Races of Stone). This costs you a level, but is well worth it due to the various bonuses. Powerful Build racial feature is especially valuable, netting you size advantage to trip attempts.

The feats you want are Combat Reflexes and Knockdown, if available. Get a magic item to enlarge yourself. With a reach of 20' you will be in complete control of the battlefield.

(Wolf Totem) Barbarian 2 / Fighter 2 / Warblade 2 [Warblade 1, if Goliath] sounds good. You gain Rage and Improved trip from the Barbarian class, two bonus feats from Fighter, and some nice manuevers from Warblade.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-02-13, 10:26 PM
Water Orc is a good start. I'd go Str 16, Dex 18, Con 15, Int 13, Wis 13, Cha 11 starting out, and put your 4th level point into Con. That will make your ability scores Str 20, Dex 18, Con 18, Int 11, Wis 11, Cha 9. I'm going to push Permanency + Enlarge Person on you, at a high enough caster level (20th) that nothing can dispel it at this level (DC 31) so there's no risk of losing it. I'll get to that in your gear.

Wolf-Totem Barbarian 2 is also a great place to start. Get the Lion Spiritual Totem ACF in CC to trade Fast Movement for Pounce. Also trade Rage for Whirling Frenzy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#rageVariantWhirlingFrenzy ), and trade Ride for Tumble (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) as a class skill. You'll want two levels of Fighter with the Dungeoncrasher ACF in Dungeonscape, especially being large size. If you expect to hit 8th level just get more Fighter for the upgraded Dungeoncrasher, otherwise I'd get at least one level of Orc Paragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/racialParagonClasses.htm#orcParagon) and one Warblade.

Feats are super important. You've already got Improved Trip for free, so no worrying about Combat Expertise. You'll have four more feats besides that, from 1st, 3rd, 6th, and Fighter 1. Flaws (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterFlaws.htm) are published in UA, and it says you can get two, so take City Slicker and Bravado (http://alt.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258440#30) if possible, though any from that list would be useful. If you can't use flaws from Dragon magazine, Meager Fortitude won't have much of a drawback and Shaky or Murky-Eyed are strong choices. That's five general feats, one Fighter feat, and Improved Trip.

Take Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, and EWP: Spiked Chain at 1st, Combat Reflexes at Fighter 1, Knock-Down (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown) from Deities and Demigods at 3rd, and Knock-Back in Races of Stone at 6th. Every time you hit something you'll knock it prone and knock it away, and then Improved Trip will give you a free hit which will also knock them away. Both of those hits can trigger Dungeoncrasher damage if they collide with a solid obstacle. That opponent must then spend a move action to get up from prone, and another move action to get back into the fight, wasting its entire round due to one swing from you.

Say you hired an NPC spellcaster (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#spell) to put Enlarge Person and Permanency on you, both at caster level 20. Say he had the feat Ability Enhancer from Dragon Compendium, which will increase the Str bonus from Enlarge Person by another +2. At standard rates that should only cost you 3,700 gp, and grant Str +4, Dex -2, and large size.

Get a Healing Belt (MIC) with Str +2 added (MIC p234), the standard rate is 4,750 gp. However, DMG p282 allows for some discounts if the item can only be used by creatures meeting specific criteria. For example, if it's only usable by characters of a given class its cost is reduced by 30%. If only a Barbarian can use it, the price goes down to 3,325 gp (x0.7). If you must also have levels in Fighter to use it, the price drops to 2,327 gp 5 sp (x0.7). Furthermore, let's say it's an heirloom handed down through an orc tribe and only those Barbarian/Fighters who fully embrace their heritage by gaining Half-Orc Paragon can use it, reducing its price to 1,629 gp 2 sp 5 cp (x0.7). That's only 34.3% of its original price, and easily affordable. Granted you didn't actually pay that, you pried it from the corpse of the tribe's last champion before you, but its value is still counted against your wealth by level.

Your other items should include Armbands of Might (MIC) for 4,100 gp, a +1 Spiked Chain for 2,325 gp, and I'd keep it simple with a Masterwork Chain Shirt for 250 gp with a Least Crystal of Adaptation (MIC) for 500 gp. That leaves you 495 gp, 7 sp, and 5 cp for other gear. Masterwork Tools (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#toolMasterwork) are 50 gp each for a +2 to just about any skill you can think of, and check the individual components in Shax's Indispensable Haversack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101) for some great ideas on other small items to buy.

KicktheCAN
2013-02-13, 10:57 PM
If your DM allows it, I recommend getting a custom item of Enlarge Person instead of going the permanency route. A Shirt of Enlarge Person only costs 4000 gp.

TheMooch
2013-02-13, 11:03 PM
Unless you are dead set on Water Orc go with half-minotaur it has better mods and makes you large.

For maneuvers start out with:
Charging Minotaur
Crusader's strike
douse the flames
leading the attack
vanguard strike

check out the crusader handbook
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181655

it has a good break down on maneuvers

Souped
2013-02-13, 11:09 PM
Wow, Biffonacus...
Water Orc is a good start. I'd go Str 16, Dex 18, Con 15, Int 13, Wis 13, Cha 11 starting out, and put your 4th level point into Con. That will make your ability scores Str 20, Dex 18, Con 18, Int 11, Wis 11, Cha 9. I'm going to push Permanency + Enlarge Person on you, at a high enough caster level (20th) that nothing can dispel it at this level (DC 31) so there's no risk of losing it. I'll get to that in your gear.

Wolf-Totem Barbarian 2 is also a great place to start. Get the Lion Spiritual Totem ACF in CC to trade Fast Movement for Pounce. Also trade Rage for Whirling Frenzy, and trade Ride for Tumble as a class skill. You'll want two levels of Fighter with the Dungeoncrasher ACF in Dungeonscape, especially being large size. If you expect to hit 8th level just get more Fighter for the upgraded Dungeoncrasher, otherwise I'd get at least one level of Orc Paragon and one Warblade.

Feats are super important. You've already got Improved Trip for free, so no worrying about Combat Expertise. You'll have four more feats besides that, from 1st, 3rd, 6th, and Fighter 1. Flaws are published in UA, and it says you can get two, so take City Slicker and Bravado if possible, though any from that list would be useful. If you can't use flaws from Dragon magazine, Meager Fortitude won't have much of a drawback and Shaky or Murky-Eyed are strong choices. That's five general feats, one Fighter feat, and Improved Trip.

Take Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, and EWP: Spiked Chain at 1st, Combat Reflexes at Fighter 1, Knock-Down from Deities and Demigods at 3rd, and Knock-Back in Races of Stone at 6th. Every time you hit something you'll knock it prone and knock it away, and then Improved Trip will give you a free hit which will also knock them away. Both of those hits can trigger Dungeoncrasher damage if they collide with a solid obstacle. That opponent must then spend a move action to get up from prone, and another move action to get back into the fight, wasting its entire round due to one swing from you.

Say you hired an NPC spellcaster to put Enlarge Person and Permanency on you, both at caster level 20. Say he had the feat Ability Enhancer from Dragon Compendium, which will increase the Str bonus from Enlarge Person by another +2. At standard rates that should only cost you 3,700 gp, and grant Str +4, Dex -2, and large size.

Get a Healing Belt (MIC) with Str +2 added (MIC p234), the standard rate is 4,750 gp. However, DMG p282 allows for some discounts if the item can only be used by creatures meeting specific criteria. For example, if it's only usable by characters of a given class its cost is reduced by 30%. If only a Barbarian can use it, the price goes down to 3,325 gp (x0.7). If you must also have levels in Fighter to use it, the price drops to 2,327 gp 5 sp (x0.7). Furthermore, let's say it's an heirloom handed down through an orc tribe and only those Barbarian/Fighters who fully embrace their heritage by gaining Half-Orc Paragon can use it, reducing its price to 1,629 gp 2 sp 5 cp (x0.7). That's only 34.3% of its original price, and easily affordable. Granted you didn't actually pay that, you pried it from the corpse of the tribe's last champion before you, but its value is still counted against your wealth by level.

Your other items should include Armbands of Might (MIC) for 4,100 gp, a +1 Spiked Chain for 2,325 gp, and I'd keep it simple with a Masterwork Chain Shirt for 250 gp with a Least Crystal of Adaptation (MIC) for 500 gp. That leaves you 495 gp, 7 sp, and 5 cp for other gear. Masterwork Tools are 50 gp each for a +2 to just about any skill you can think of, and check the individual components in Shax's Indispensable Haversack for some great ideas on other small items to buy.

... Wow... wow... I'm left without words, that's amazing! Though I have a few questions:

The only thing is, I have no clue what to do in a normal round! What actions are available to me?

How do I go about exchanging barbarian skills for others? What book is that in (I'm not familiar with the acronyms)?

I don't understand this: "You'll want two levels of Fighter with the Dungeoncrasher ACF in Dungeonscape". Would you mind explaining and clarifying once more the acronyms?

Once more thank you! This looks amazing! I'm already saddened that it's only for a one shot :(

Souped
2013-02-13, 11:11 PM
If your DM allows it, I recommend getting a custom item of Enlarge Person instead of going the permanency route. A Shirt of Enlarge Person only costs 4000 gp.

Everything is allowed! But the suggestion Biffonacus made seems better... " Str +4, Dex -2, and large size" for 3700 gold!!!

Souped
2013-02-13, 11:12 PM
Unless you are dead set on Water Orc go with half-minotaur it has better mods and makes you large.

For maneuvers start out with:
Charging Minotaur
Crusader's strike
douse the flames
leading the attack
vanguard strike

check out the crusader handbook
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181655

it has a good break down on maneuvers

I like the fact that Water orcs are level adjustment free. But I'm considering it...

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-02-13, 11:27 PM
Wow, Biffonacus...

... Wow... wow... I'm left without words, that's amazing! Though I have a few questions:

The only thing is, I have no clue what to do in a normal round! What actions are available to me?

How do I go about exchanging barbarian skills for others? What book is that in (I'm not familiar with the acronyms)?

I don't understand this: "You'll want two levels of Fighter with the Dungeoncrasher ACF in Dungeonscape". Would you mind explaining and clarifying once more the acronyms?

Once more thank you! This looks amazing! I'm already saddened that it's only for a one shot :(

You'll probably want to either full attack, or charge with pounce which still allows you to full attack. Always Power Attack for -2 to hit, which gives +4 damage two-handed, and another +2 damage for the Armbands of Might. That allows you to use the Knock-Back feat. If you get that Warblade level, take Steel Wind, Mountain Hammer, Bolstering Voice, and Battle Leader's Charge (all your maneuvers gained at Warblade 1 are gained simultaneously, and stances count as maneuvers for prerequisites). In that case, use Battle Leader's Charge as often as possible, Steel Wind is better than a standing full attack when there are two opponents in reach, and Mountain Hammer beats DR so use it when necessary.

On trading out class skills, those words were a link to the Cityscape web enhancement which describes how to do that. Click it and scroll down to the Skilled City Dweller section for details. For trading other abilities, there are alternate class features (ACFs) in several books, including Complete Champion (CC). I provided a link for Whirling Frenzy, which is originally from Unearthed Arcana (UA).

The Dungeoncrasher alternate class feature (ACF) for Fighter is found in the book Dungeonscape, it replaces the bonus feat you would get from Fighter at its 2nd and 6th levels. It gives you bonuses on Strength checks to break objects, bonuses versus traps, and best of all allows you to deal bonus damage when you bull rush an opponent into a solid obstacle. Dungeoncrasher plus the feat Knock-Back is one of the biggest reasons to play this type of character, it ends up being your greatest source of damage. At Fighter 6 it gets significantly stronger.

Pickford
2013-02-13, 11:49 PM
The downside of a water orc (beyond the penalty to saving throws vs fire, possibly the most common type of magic damage) is...you're an orc, so you carry all their racial traits including light sensitivity.

And, purely from an RP perspective, presumably most people would want to kill you on sight. So there's that.

Edit: Granted if you happen to know it's always cloudy, you only are adventuring underground or at night and there's zero fire magic to worry about, it's a fantastic choice from what I can see.

Artillery
2013-02-14, 01:51 AM
Sunlight vulnerability is easy to fix, Sundark googles.

Go Half-minotaur Water Orc.
Total stuff you get is
+16 Str
-2 Dex
+8 Con
-4 Int
-2 Wis
-2 Cha
-1 to hit
-1 AC
+2 Natural Armor
Large Size

And you are still humanoid so you can have Enlarge person cast on you still.
Also Reduce person for when you need to be sneaky.