PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Inherent Bonus Clarification

sepchan
2013-02-13, 09:35 PM
First I want to quote the only rule(ish) reference I was able to locate:

Note: An inherent bonus may not exceed +5 for a single ability score, and inherent bonuses to a particular ability score do not stack, so only the best one applies.

This is from the Wish spell description section of the core rulebook.
And now an entry from the Core rulebook which directly contradicts this "rule":

Sorcerer - Abyssal Bloodline
Strength of the Abyss (Ex): At 9th level, you gain a +2 inherent bonus to your Strength. This bonus increases to +4 at 13th level, and to +6 at 17th level.

So was the "may not exceed +5" restriction just referencing the max that can achieved through using the wish spell? I know that manuals/tomes have the same +5 limitation. Is there a rule entry somewhere for Inherent Bonus that I missed?

If it is common to be able to get more than a +5, I would appreciate more examples of ways to do it besides the one I provided.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-02-14, 08:26 PM
The only way I know of to get an Inherent bonus above +5 is that ability. The Orc bloodline has the same one.

Ravenica
2013-02-14, 08:32 PM
There's a school ability for wizards that can grant +6 on 2 physical abilities at level 20, choosing which two is done when you prepare your spells in the morning. The +5 seems to be limited to tomes and wishes

jmelesky
2013-02-14, 10:00 PM
There's a school ability for wizards that can grant +6 on 2 physical abilities at level 20, choosing which two is done when you prepare your spells in the morning.

If you're talking about transmutation (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/arcane-schools/paizo---arcane-schools/classic-arcane-schools/transmutation), it's an enhancement bonus, and it tops out at +5.

Ravenica
2013-02-15, 02:13 AM
If you're talking about transmutation (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/arcane-schools/paizo---arcane-schools/classic-arcane-schools/transmutation), it's an enhancement bonus, and it tops out at +5.
shows how often I get to play a wizard :smalleek: