PDA

View Full Version : Slavery in Eberron?

Asmodai
2013-02-13, 10:02 PM
I'm not sure if there is any mentioned in the books, but my bookpool is a tad lacklustre. So, are there any nations that have slavery or have had Slavery in the setting?

Dusk Eclipse
2013-02-13, 10:55 PM
Elves were slaves from the ancient Giants of Xen'driks and after their revelion they splintered into three distinct "tribes", the Aerenal elves, the Drow and eventually the Valenar.

IIRC Sharn was mostly build on goblinoid slave labour.

Alabenson
2013-02-13, 11:36 PM
Depending on how you look at it, the status of Warforged in Thrane and Karnath might also amount to slavery.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-02-13, 11:36 PM
I'm almost certain that at least one of the five major nations of khorvaire practices slavery. It's definitely a thing in Darguun.

The nation of Riedra on the continent of Sarlona is a whole country of slaves (after a fashion) that have been psionically manipulated into loving their proverbial chains (resulting in literal chains being unnecessary). Their masters are the quori and the inspired.

Fact of the matter is; you'd be hard-pressed indeed to find any fantasy setting that didn't have slavery somewhere.

Bearlock
2013-02-14, 12:20 AM
Everyone has covered the majority of it, but to recap:

In the Five Nations, there is no mention of outright slavery. Warforged in Thrane and Karrnath are basically treated as slaves, but that's more to them being duped into in contracts or their complacency. Most of them, while having distinct personalities still have no place in the world, and I think that is why it goes on.

Moderns elves descended from slaves to the giants in Xen'drik, and while goblins were treated as slaves during the building of Galifar, there is nothing that says they are actually slaves today. Second-class citizens to be sure, but not slaves.

Anyone captured in Darguun runs the risk of being sold into slave labor for most of the hobgoblin clans, however I think this may be more low key, especially since the Thronehold Accords led to Darguun being recognized as a sovereign nation that has to try to build relations/foster allies.

Riedra yes, they are pretty much slaves. They are conditioned to the point that the people don't even know any better, so they may seem like slaves to an outsider, but the average Riedran would fight that claim to the death.

Also, orcs have been mentioned as being used as slaves by various warlords in Droaam. Strange, but in that nation orcs are little fish in the pond compared to hags, ogres, ogre mages, minotaurs, trolls and the unity of the gnoll race.

Postmodernist
2013-02-14, 01:12 AM
There's a part in Eyes of the Lich Queen in which a rogue House Kundarak member employs prisoners at Dreadhold in illegal Khyber shard mining operations. That's basically slavery.

Asmodai
2013-02-14, 06:14 PM
Ooooh, the House using slaves sounds interesting. I'm looking into a way to create a character who was brought to Khoirvare as a slave and then broke out during the Great War. Anyone got some tips on that?

Greenish
2013-02-14, 06:32 PM
The Bloodbound of the Ring of Blood, Stormreach's gladiator arena, are mostly slaves. It's noted as being one of the few places outside Darguun where the hobbos can sell their slaves.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-02-14, 06:36 PM
Ooooh, the House using slaves sounds interesting. I'm looking into a way to create a character who was brought to Khoirvare as a slave and then broke out during the Great War. Anyone got some tips on that?

Won't work. True slavery and the slave trade only exists in Darguun.

Greenish
2013-02-14, 06:52 PM
Won't work. True slavery and the slave trade only exists in Darguun.The goblinoids probably practiced slavery before they claimed Darguun as theirs. It's quite unlikely that they'd imported slaves from, say, Stormreach, but not impossible. Some of the Lhazaar Principalities could also be mixed in slave trading, since they aren't exactly the most law-abiding bunch, which could explain how someone from Sarlona (or even Seren) ended up as a slave in or near Khorvaire.

Kol Korran
2013-02-14, 06:53 PM

hhhmmmm, a slightly far fetched idea, but maybe it could work? the forces of Droaam, nation of monsters use slaves (mostly the orcs and goblinoids in the region), but some... exotic/ special slaves might be sought by a special ogre lord or some other monstrosity. So they might arrange bringing you to the region, but this is a more specialized job, not your "general" slave taking.

oooorrrrr... you might be brought on the demand of the three sisters (quite possibly unknowingly to most people involved)- sister Tereza might see some special future for you (insert hook for the DM)

The Khundarak house using slaves is basically taking the prisoners it is supposed to guard, and putting them to work, against their will. nothing too grandiose or elaborate.

Illarion
2013-02-14, 06:57 PM
Im at work so I can't look this up to confirm, but someone could check Forged of War to verify.

If I remember correctly, during the war other kingdoms did practice slavery and part of the treaty (treaty of thronehold?)that ended the war was the abolishment of slavery in the treaty nations.

So, you could have been a slave during the war and were freed with the treaty. That or Darguun still has a slave trade and you could go that route.

Shining Wrath
2013-02-14, 06:58 PM
Warforged were essentially slaves until the Treaty of Thronehold.

Being authoritarian, the nations of Thrane and Karrnath turned Warforged into indentured servants. And Karrnath also has sentient undead who are not really at liberty.

If you get into the non-core nations, I wouldn't be surprised if there is still some form of slavery in Lhazar Principalities (galley slaves!), The Demon Wastes (duh), Droam (I don't think the 3 sisters care), and Dargun (even if the hobgoblins don't practice it de jure, you can bet some of the bugbears up in the hills practice it de facto).

Shining Wrath
2013-02-14, 07:00 PM

Lhazar Principalties range from LN to CE in alignment. You can find someone there.

Greenish
2013-02-14, 07:09 PM
Im at work so I can't look this up to confirm, but someone could check Forged of War to verify.

If I remember correctly, during the war other kingdoms did practice slavery and part of the treaty (treaty of thronehold?)that ended the war was the abolishment of slavery in the treaty nations.

So, you could have been a slave during the war and were freed with the treaty. That or Darguun still has a slave trade and you could go that route.All mentions to slaves in Forge of War that I could find refer to the ones taken by goblinoids or the position of warforged. There's nothing in any of the official books that I can recall that'd indicate the Five Nations practiced slavery.

Asmodai
2013-02-21, 09:04 PM
I'd just like to thank you all for the help with this. I'm likely going to settle on slavers from the Lhzaar Principalities or a rogue house doing something naughty. I was kinda surprised that there was no obvious source of slaves. but it makes sense with the fact of how much easier day to day life is thanks to magic in Eberron.